Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
A-The only degree the AF will give you is a worthless (no, really) associates degree from the Community College of the Air Force. It will not help you get a bachelors. However, there is tuition assistance which is good for $4500 a year, plus your GI Bill, eventually (don't use it on active duty if you can avoid it. But no, your AF training will not get you a degree or even get you CLOSE to a degree.

B-Good luck getting an age waiver. The AF has been cutting people left and right for about 5 years because Congress keeps cutting the number of members authorized. They're filling the open slots without going to any extra effort, so you're probably out of luck.

C-I'm sure the Navy has something similar. The same tasks have to be done, so somebody has to do them.

And MOS is Army. Navy is rates, AF is AFSC...Marines are whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beria
Nov 13, 2011
No rate or MOS will give you a bachelors degree. The air force have some kind of thing where they more or less force you to work on an associates degree at fake air force college that is worth nothing outside of the air force.

The military as a whole is drawing down, and it wil be difficult if not impossible to receive any kind of waiver

Look man, if you really want a free degree, just see my previous post

Efb by godhollio

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Good to know. Then navy it is. How would I go about finding something similar to what I was looking for in the Air Force? Their site doesn't disclose anything about bio tech jobs that I found.

Would it be a good idea to try to join the navy reserve after getting out after 4 years and join up while I am going for said bachelors? I ask this because it was proposed to me that if I stick with that I can eventually retire doing so.

Beria
Nov 13, 2011
Uhhh I can't answer questions ab the reserve

I do k ow if they qualify for the same kind of GI bill as active do?

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
How lovely is being a hospital corpsman?

Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Good to know. Then navy it is. How would I go about finding something similar to what I was looking for in the Air Force? Their site doesn't disclose anything about bio tech jobs that I found.
The navy does have an equivalent job for medical laboratory like the Air Force, but you have to be a corpsman first and then are offered training in the field. I think it can happen immediately following your initial corpsman training as well as after serving for some time in the career field. I'm pretty sure that you can't enlist directly with that training in your contract.

quote:

Would it be a good idea to try to join the navy reserve after getting out after 4 years and join up while I am going for said bachelors? I ask this because it was proposed to me that if I stick with that I can eventually retire doing so.
You're putting the cart before the horse here. Worry about possible retirement after you've served for a bit and have some idea whether you like the military or not.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...

Axolotl posted:

The navy does have an equivalent job for medical laboratory like the Air Force, but you have to be a corpsman first and then are offered training in the field. I think it can happen immediately following your initial corpsman training as well as after serving for some time in the career field. I'm pretty sure that you can't enlist directly with that training in your contract.

Do you normally get to choose your nec or is chosen for you? I would like hm-8506 if at all possible. Or is that what you are referring to when you mean the extra training.

Axolotl posted:

You're putting the cart before the horse here. Worry about possible retirement after you've served for a bit and have some idea whether you like the military or not.

You are absolutely right. I just have all sort of poo poo swirling in my head about this.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
If there was some sort of formal study into those who had the idea of sticking around for 20 and those who actually did, the numbers would be pitiful.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

You can retire after 20 years total service regardless of component. However reserve years (except periods of active duty, like deployments) don't count for an active duty retirement, although your points still count towards how much $$ you receive each month.

But yeah, worry about other poo poo first.

Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Do you normally get to choose your nec or is chosen for you? I would like hm-8506 if at all possible. Or is that what you are referring to when you mean the extra training.

Honestly, the way the Navy does their thing is very nearly a complete mystery to me. All I know is that they're all corpsman first, and somehow they are chosen to receive additional training. The corpsmen that post on this forum will probably/definitely know more about it.

There's also a former(?) Air Force lab tech on here as well. HClChicken or something like that. I think he's mentioned being stationed with Navy people before. Check the monthly Air Force thread in this forum.

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
I'm looking for some advice about a career change.

I'm 29; I turn 30 in January of next year. I have a B.A., am a thesis short of a Masters degree, have taught ESL for the past 4.5 years, and am in great physical shape. I stand 5 feet 6 inches tall and weigh in at 140 pounds. I used to run 10km a day until I was 23 and have been hitting the gym for the past year. I don't have any drug, money, or family problems.

I'm interested in attending the Defense Language School because I have this notion, perhaps false, that the language skills will be useful post-service. I speak Hebrew at an intermediate level and Korean at a high-intermediate level. I would be interested in learning either of those languages or Mandarin.

Am I too old for OCS?

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
You're not too old, but probably over-qualified. If you really want to attend DLI you should probably see if there's a contracting position available. If you attended you'd probably do really well and excel at your language. Then you'd be stationed somewhere that has nothing to do with what you learned and your skills would be completely overlooked. That's the cynical outlook at least.

EDIT: Oh wait, OCS. No you're not too old for OCS.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it only enlisted dudes who go to DLI?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

No, there are officers who attend. What is your degree in? If you can pass a DLPT for Korean or Hebrew and have a worthwhile degree you should be able to get a job somewhere.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Pretty sure you need to enter active duty before you turn 30 to be eligible for Army OCS. 33 for Army reserve.

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
My b.a. Is in political science, ma in tesol.

My birthday is in the middle of January, hence my concern about the cutoff

*edit* can someone define Active duty? Assuming I signed the paperwork tomorrow, how soon would I be active duty?

Also, I wouldn't mind being placed in a position where I don't get to use my language skills... The prospect of getting a 24-64 week course is more appealing than trying to pick up a language on my own or in an expensive university classroom.

politicorific fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Sep 30, 2013

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Your active duty start date is the day you arrive at whatever basic training you're attending.

Odds are you aren't going to join up and ship off to any branch as an officer selectee in just a couple of months. It would be stupid to enlist. There are a variety of civilian jobs with positions worldwide where they need people with your translation skills.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Not sure how quick OCS packets get done at other recruiting stations but I started mine in June and I'm just now getting mine finished. Mostly due to having a lovely recruiter at first that kept forgetting to sign me up for ASVAB/MEPs etc. I'm told I won't be leaving until probably February at the earliest.

I live in a decent sized city so there's a lot of people trying to enlist, might be faster if you live in a smaller city/town.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Talked to an Air Force recruiter today. What's being a drone pilot like?

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!

the posted:

Can't tell you much about the AF side of it, but the Army side is... eh. It's really easy, pretty much ANYONE can do it, but to fly the cool UAVs (Gray Eagle, Warrior Alpha) you have to have a certain degree of luck. Otherwise you're stuck with the Shadow, which sucks. I fly the Gray Eagle and it's definitely everything I'd hoped for.. just in a horrible, horrible training environment.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

the posted:

Dude front wing flexing got PTSD just from looking at drone images. That's the last thing you want to do if you want to maintain sanity.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I also talked to the Navy. Tell me about Navy Intelligence.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

the posted:

I also talked to the Navy. Tell me about Navy Intelligence.

How do you feel about Power Point?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Well, I was being sarcastic a bit in my first point, but this

Nick Soapdish posted:

How do you feel about Power Point?

is a very valid question if you're looking to join Navy intel.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
They made it seem so cool :smith:

I went to an Engineering career fair. I was one of the half dozen or so there with a 'Physics' nametag, so most people didn't really have any interest in taking my resume. Except the military of course.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Does the AF even have enlisted drone pilots or are they still only allowing the dirty heathens to be sensor operators?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Drone pilots in the AF are noble only.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 2, 2013

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

the posted:

They made it seem so cool :smith:

I went to an Engineering career fair. I was one of the half dozen or so there with a 'Physics' nametag, so most people didn't really have any interest in taking my resume. Except the military of course.

Have you considered USMC infantry? Lower enlisted will never have to touch powerpoint and by the time your 4 years are up you can re-test that engineering market with professional badass at the top of your employment history.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Victor Vermis posted:

Have you considered USMC infantry? Lower enlisted will never have to touch powerpoint and by the time your 4 years are up you can re-test that engineering market with professional badass at the top of your employment history.

Genuinely not trying to troll but why do people enlist in non-combat arms fields in the Marines? What's the appeal of being a USMC human resources guy, or finance person? Is so one can say for the rest of one's life that you're a Marine, or something else?

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Oxford Comma posted:

Genuinely not trying to troll but why do people enlist in non-combat arms fields in the Marines? What's the appeal of being a USMC human resources guy, or finance person? Is so one can say for the rest of one's life that you're a Marine, or something else?

You can still say you're a marine.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Victor Vermis posted:

I'm turning 30 in two days.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

the posted:

I'm turning 30 in two days.

Perfect. Maturity and life experience.

gleep gloop posted:

You can still say you're a marine.

I mean, sure, you can.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Victor Vermis posted:

Perfect. Maturity and life experience.

So I feel like there's a lot of joking going on, I mean that's cool and all but seriously:

a. I'm obviously too old to enter into some sort of basic training thing, right?

b. What does the Navy Intelligence field involve beyond power points?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Enlist as a 30 year old with a degree. Sounds awesome.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

the posted:

So I feel like there's a lot of joking going on, I mean that's cool and all but seriously:

a. I'm obviously too old to enter into some sort of basic training thing, right?

We had a 30 year old guy fresh outta boot/basic, and several 23-27 year old guys. It's not unheard of.

Dunno if this is your angle or not, but Infantry guys are really the eyes and ears of intelligence. Enlisted Intel guys gather up whatever is given to them, digest it further up the chain, and then poo poo it back out. As Infantry, you will catch your peanut-riddled, stringy intel on it's way back down the poop chute sometimes, except now it's been inflated and disfigured in order to make everyone supporting you look really super important.

Ultimately, all kinds of major intelligence decisions are made at the squad level. Before your four years are done, you could be positively ID'ing and taking down high value targets. At which point, Officer Intel guys clock-in and write up that report, because again, it's important to look important.

I don't know what Navy Intel does. Catalog Taliban-boat sightings?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Well, my experience is in numerical simulation, analytics, etc. So I was talking to her about cryptography and she mentioned the Navy Intel. Obviously I've thought about places like NSA, CIA, etc. But I don't think my grades are good enough.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

the posted:

Well, my experience is in numerical simulation, analytics, etc. So I was talking to her about cryptography and she mentioned the Navy Intel. Obviously I've thought about places like NSA, CIA, etc. But I don't think my grades are good enough.

Have you tried applying? I mean I know that there's a shutdown at the moment loving everything up, but seriously if you haven't sent your resume into all these places then you just don't know. Never assume that you can't get something. Make them tell you no.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Join combat arms. Everyone else is wrong.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

the posted:

You know the military WILL make you fly, and no, you don't get 10 Ativan to do so, right? The military may not be the best choice for someone who has crippling panic attacks. But it's your life....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
NSA is alwaying hiring if you can live with youself being scorned by redditors:

someone one reddit posted:

Do NSA employee's realize that their grandchildren will likely be disowning them and changing their names... and quite possibly even emigrating and/or disowning their national origins?
NSA and Homeland Security will be looked back upon historically as Nazis and Gestapo are today. It is very common for Germans with Nazi ancestry to claim alternate heritage and never speak of their shameful family history. I hope it is worth the paycheck, because their grandchildren will be spending a lot on therapist bills.

I hope it's worth the paycheck.

• Locked thread