Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Shine posted:

I demand a post-workout hot dog made from shredded man meat (muscle not dick).

:stare:

Are you juicing again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Shine posted:

Hate to break it to you but... dicks are made of muscle :ssh:

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky

Crazyeyes posted:

Hate to break it to you but... dicks are made of muscle :ssh:

Nope, myth. They're made of bone.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Shine posted:

I read this post and now I'm in cross fit. Thanks Shine!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

SoundMonkey posted:

:stare:

Are you juicing again?

If you can't beat 'em, eat' em.

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky
Another suggestion maybe someone can pass along, but how about Hot Dog flavoured water? hahaha it's pretty delicious on its own, but maybe we get get Frederick Durst involved to really play up the allusion to The Limp Biscuit.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Ruddha posted:

Nope, myth. They're made of bone.

This man knows what's up. My bone.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Ruddha posted:

Another suggestion maybe someone can pass along, but how about Hot Dog flavoured water? hahaha it's pretty delicious on its own, but maybe we get get Frederick Durst involved to really play up the allusion to The Limp Biscuit.

I actually tried some hotdog water when I was a kid. I can assure you of two things: 1) I am dumb as hell, and 2) It's disgusting.

I'm not entirely sure what I was expecting to be honest.

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

SoundMonkey posted:

I actually tried some hotdog water when I was a kid. I can assure you of two things: 1) I am dumb as hell, and 2) It's disgusting.

I'm not entirely sure what I was expecting to be honest.

Two good things to know about it are that A) It's water and 2) it tastes like a hot dog

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Ruddha posted:

Two good things to know about it are that A) It's water and 2) it tastes like a hot dog
Neither of those things is true.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

SoundMonkey posted:

Someone's doing it.

I resell basic hosting to small businesses and the likes, and am more than happy to donate a standard account if someone else is making the site and everything. Standard CentOS install with a few hundred mb of space, plenty of data transfer and cPanel to make it a bit easier for whoevers maintaining it. Been going for about 7 or 8 years with no major hitches.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I think a website is a good idea and will definitely help his business in the long run. New restaurants come and go. This is especially true for a small, poor town like Reform, Alabama. Did you know that 30% of population is below the poverty line? People don't eat out too often in a town like this, if at all -- not unless it's really special.

He needs to become more of a regional (within his state) destination. I doubt he'd ever get too big outside of his home county, but it's pretty slim pickins' within that county when it comes to food in first place, so I think there might be a market. Given the right publicity (i.e., e-marketing).

It could boost the local economy. Rural hipsters come in to get the frog dog, they get the frog dog, and maybe buy some rusty antique Pepsi Cola sign from the antique store across the street for the inside of their barn or whatever.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Some Other Guy posted:

I think a website is a good idea and will definitely help his business in the long run. New restaurants come and go. This is especially true for a small, poor town like Reform, Alabama. Did you know that 30% of population is below the poverty line? People don't eat out too often in a town like this, if at all -- not unless it's really special.

I think he (rightly) figures that highway traffic will be a large part of his business.

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.

Some Other Guy posted:

He needs to become more of a regional (within his state) destination. I doubt he'd ever get too big outside of his home county, but it's pretty slim pickins' within that county when it comes to food in first place, so I think there might be a market. Given the right publicity (i.e., e-marketing).

It could boost the local economy. Rural hipsters come in to get the frog dog, they get the frog dog, and maybe buy some rusty antique Pepsi Cola sign from the antique store across the street for the inside of their barn or whatever.

He's charging sub-McDonald's priced food, poor people will eat there. How many "rural hipsters" do you really think there are in Pickens County and how many of those zero people do you think will read about it online rather than a friend of a friend? I'm not saying a website is a bad idea, I'm saying people are making it seem like a bigger deal than it is. I get the feeling a lot of you saying what Wayne "needs" to do to be successful have no idea what the rural South is like an even less of an idea what it takes to run a business here. What is the frame of reference we are using for Doobie's to be successful? As long as Wayne doesn't make any terrible financial decisions he is going to be fine because it sounds like he actually knows what he is doing (because he's already been doing it).

e: phone postin'

KicksYouInHalf fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 3, 2013

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

KicksYouInHalf posted:

He's charging sub-McDonald's priced food, poor people will eat there. How many "rural hipsters" do you really think there are in Pickens County and how many of those zero people do you think will heat about it online rather than a friend of a friend?
They're called "hicksters" and there's more of them than you think. PiCo's up-and-coming, Vice is coming out w/ a documentary about the burgeoning culture there later this month

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
PiCo?

E: Pickens County, nvm

Box of Trial
Sep 4, 2003

TONKA HYAH
He's currently $102 shy of a cool $14,000 with 14 hours left to go. I have no idea why I am so invested in this but the tension is killing me.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Some Other Guy posted:

I think a website is a good idea and will definitely help his business in the long run. New restaurants come and go. This is especially true for a small, poor town like Reform, Alabama. Did you know that 30% of population is below the poverty line?

So obviously the ideal way to reach out to them is through the internet which everyone has for free.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Not everyone, but it got you to give him $100.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Tossed in $25. I really hope he succeeds.

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.

Some Other Guy posted:

Not everyone, but it got you to give him $100.

Guess he should just buy ad space on Something Awful since it worked so well, huh?

Baboon Nigga
Jan 3, 2011

gently caress it, just donated £650. Told my family that we'll be eating top ramen for the next few months, but Doobie needs it more than we do. The man is a goddamn American hero.

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp

Some Other Guy posted:

Why not just Facebook, Twitter and yelp, which are free and used a fair bit I hear.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Baboon Nigga posted:

gently caress it, just donated £650. Told my family that we'll be eating top ramen for the next few months, but Doobie needs it more than we do. The man is a goddamn American hero.

TOP ramen? Are you goddamn made of money?

TX297
Nov 7, 2005

IM A HUGE FAGGOT WHO STEALS BYOB AVATARS.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I resell basic hosting to small businesses and the likes, and am more than happy to donate a standard account if someone else is making the site and everything. Standard CentOS install with a few hundred mb of space, plenty of data transfer and cPanel to make it a bit easier for whoevers maintaining it. Been going for about 7 or 8 years with no major hitches.

:rolleyes: A few hundred MB of shared hosting? What Wayne really needs to do is contact the nearest telco and have them run fiber directly to the hotdog stand. Then we can have a few SHSC regulars throw together a couple of servers made from consumer grade hardware (because server hardware is too noisy and power hungry) and then throw ESXi or Hyper-V on the whole shebang depending on how spergin you feel that day. Add in redundant failover, a Cisco 2950, and UPS so Wayne can spawn separate VMs for his website, profits database, recipe storage, payment processing (on a separate VLAN of course for PCI compliance), and e-mail server. This way when he expands his hotdog empire he can just spawn new VMs on actual server hardware and colocate them across the country but still maintain a link back to Doobie Dog HQ in Reform.

I'm in for :10bux:

E: Almost forgot the UniFi for public wifi.

TX297 fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 3, 2013

Delayed Reaction
Mar 18, 2009

I am known as the Queen of Delayed Reactions for a reason, heh.
I was finally able to donate some money. I wish it could have been more but things are tight these days. I've been following this from the beginning and just had to get in on it. I live in Alabama and can't wait to take a trip to Reform and get me a Frog Dog :3:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

TX297 posted:

:rolleyes: A few hundred MB of shared hosting? What Wayne really needs to do is contact the nearest telco and have them run fiber directly to the hotdog stand. Then we can have a few SHSC regulars throw together a couple of servers made from consumer grade hardware (because server hardware is too noisy and power hungry) and then throw ESXi or Hyper-V on the whole shebang depending on how spergin you feel that day. Add in redundant failover, a Cisco 2950, and UPS so Wayne can spawn separate VMs for his website, profits database, recipe storage, payment processing (on a separate VLAN of course for PCI compliance), and e-mail server. This way when he expands his hotdog empire he can just spawn new VMs on actual server hardware and colocate them across the country but still maintain a link back to Doobie Dog HQ in Reform.

I'm in for :10bux:

E: Almost forgot the UniFi for public wifi.

...which would probably give him a better setup than the archives server.

Someone's already worked out hosting, though. Since "nothing" is better than whatever hotdogprofits dude was going to do, "some goon-designed website" is probably better too.

EDIT: There's a diesel generator for backup right? What's your environmental control plan for hot Alabama summers?

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Anything FYAD fakeposts about ends up actually happening. They're the goon whisperers.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

I honestly can't think of a more horrible fate.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wario In Real Life posted:

Anything FYAD fakeposts about ends up actually happening. They're the goon whisperers.

At this rate Wayne's gonna spin off a franchise on Goon Island.

TX297
Nov 7, 2005

SoundMonkey posted:

...which would probably give him a better setup than the archives server.

Someone's already worked out hosting, though. Since "nothing" is better than whatever hotdogprofits dude was going to do, "some goon-designed website" is probably better too.

EDIT: There's a diesel generator for backup right? What's your environmental control plan for hot Alabama summers?

Diesel, are you insane? What Wayne needs is one of these bad boys:

Power generation AND hotdog steamer in one.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

TX297 posted:

I don't know how they do it in the big city, but in Ree-form they don't take kindly to steaming hotdogs with giant tanks of molten salt.

TX297
Nov 7, 2005

SoundMonkey posted:

I don't know how they do it in the big city, but in Ree-form they don't take kindly to steaming hotdogs with giant tanks of molten salt.

It's kinda like sous vide, but better. the people of Ree-form don't know what they're missing.

E: On a serious note the MVC setup suggested is a little overkill. WordPress is all anyone really needs for content management and shared hosting or even WP.com with a domain addon would be sufficient. There are plenty of goons who can handle coding/modifying a template.

TX297 fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Oct 3, 2013

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Donated $11 because the non-even total annoyed me. :20bux: to go until $14,000

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

rydiafan posted:

Donated $11 because the non-even total annoyed me. :20bux: to go until $14,000

Kicked it up to $14k.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

I do, because it's not my money.

I do too. I gave $10 for the fun of it. I've spent $10 on worst then hot dogs from Alabama.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TX297 posted:

That looks like the Rapper's Graveyard.

shinmai
Oct 9, 2007

CHK Instruction

Jst0rm posted:

I've spent $10 on worst then hot dogs from Alabama.
This was pretty much my thought process. If this turns out to be a total scam or otherwise just goes bust, I doubt it would still even make the top-10 of worst ways I've used $25. Hell, I have a Wii U standing next to my tv gathering dust, this is practically a genius-level investment compared to that purchase.

Made some Budget Dogs™ last night to "celebrate" $14k, I didn't start with the intention of trying to create something less refined looking than Waynes' original photos, but they turned out looking pretty... sad. Tasted nice, though.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
96 mins to go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vylan Antagonist
Jun 5, 2005

Much less clever than he looks
Tortured By Flan

TX297 posted:

:rolleyes: payment processing (on a separate VLAN of course for PCI compliance),

VLAN segregation alone is not sufficient for PCI DSS compliance, stop trying to sabotage Claude's business plan.

• Locked thread