Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Nice new ugly ducks. :D

This is how muscovies try to look threatening. By silently sticking out their heads. FEARSOME BEASTS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

unprofessional posted:

DUCKIES! I love watching ducks paddle around in a pond. It's very relaxing. :D

Do you have any of your original ducks left? Are they the two out in the pond together? Where did you get the new ducks? Are they all Muscovies?

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Here's a somewhat premature question. We have 6 hens. 4 have been laying for a few months, and 2 of them are just about to the right age to start laying. At some point I'd like to add more (we have SO MUCH ROOM now). How do you keep the chicks from eating the layer food, and the hens from eating the chick food?

How much separation do you need for broody mamas and their hatched babies (if that's how we do it, I'm not sure yet)? Otherwise, we may get chicks and put them under broody mamas.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.

Inveigle posted:

Do you have any of your original ducks left? Are they the two out in the pond together? Where did you get the new ducks? Are they all Muscovies?
I orginally got four white muscovies. Two abandoned my pond for the small pond in our ravine, and one refused to get off its completely exposed nest of unfertilized eggs and was eaten by some predator. After that, trashy (but nice) neighbors gave me the two pekin boys, and I felt bad that the last muscovy was all by herself, so I asked on BYC, and somebody about 20 minutes from me wanted to get rid of his muscovies.

Next year I'd like to get some wood ducks and sebastopol geese.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Lynza posted:

Here's a somewhat premature question. We have 6 hens. 4 have been laying for a few months, and 2 of them are just about to the right age to start laying. At some point I'd like to add more (we have SO MUCH ROOM now). How do you keep the chicks from eating the layer food, and the hens from eating the chick food?

How much separation do you need for broody mamas and their hatched babies (if that's how we do it, I'm not sure yet)? Otherwise, we may get chicks and put them under broody mamas.

So far with my broody mama and her little one, I'll keep her separate and feed them the chick food, and then go feed the grown hens their layer food. We give ours food twice a day, and otherwise they just peck around the yard (2 acres, so they find plenty of bugs and such.) I'm not sure how you'd work it out if you kept their food readily available all the time without a complete separation. Maybe a small cage with an opening that's big enough that only the little chicks can get in for their food?

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

unprofessional posted:

I orginally got four white muscovies. Two abandoned my pond for the small pond in our ravine, and one refused to get off its completely exposed nest of unfertilized eggs and was eaten by some predator. After that, trashy (but nice) neighbors gave me the two pekin boys, and I felt bad that the last muscovy was all by herself, so I asked on BYC, and somebody about 20 minutes from me wanted to get rid of his muscovies.

Next year I'd like to get some wood ducks and sebastopol geese.

Thanks for the duck update and new photos, Unprofessional. Ducks are fun. :)

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!
Those duck pics remind me of one of my favorite Mythbusters one-liners, "Quack, drat you!"

Also: So many ducks! (0:38 for the line.)

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Lynza posted:

As for food, place chick food down low where the chicks can reach it, place mama's food elevated on a stack of bricks or something so babies can't reach. I've never had chicks go for adult chicken food when chick food is readily available--they may mouth it but don't eat it, even when mama calls. Same went for mama--she didn't care for the chick food and preferred the adult chicken food.

I like to seperate mamas and chicks from the flock for the first couple of weeks, at least. In the first few weeks, the chicks are too small and aren't tough enough to withstand trampling or attacks from other adults, and mama can't be everywhere at once to protect them--some hens may fight over who gets the chicks, and the chicks die in the battle. Young chicks also have no concept of threat postures or verbal warnings from adults and will just stand there, or run towards an aggressive adult because they simply don't know any better. After two weeks or so, if your flock can handle it you may try having mama and chicks run with the flock.

I actually prefer to just totally seperate mama and babies until mama and chicks naturally want to go their seperate ways at 6-8 weeks. That way there is no chance of chicken drama and injuries from jealous flockmates. When mama starts to peck the babies, it's time to remove her and put her back with the flock. She may have to endure a day or so of pecking order re-establishment, but it isn't bad.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

I have to confess something. I don't quite like Tabasco 100% because he's much more hyper than Roostroyer was, and the horny cock has pecked my feet rather hard a couple of times already. He's never tried to flog me yet, though. Also dust my ghetto head henhoe has never been friendly exactly, and I'm not too attached to her.

However, these two have earned their food. A couple of days ago a hawk landed on the grass in the backyard. We have the yard divided in half with a silt fence because of house remodeling, and the chickens have been pretty good at staying on their enclosure, even though they can jump over the tarp of the fence (it's only about 3 feet high). Anyways, at first I couldn't see what the commotion was about. It was early in the morning, almost 8am, and I was half asleep. So I see most of the chickens gathered around and under our pomegranate tree, and only see Tabasco's huge comb on the opposite side from where the chickens are.

Then I see it. The hawk was on the ground and flew to the tarp to perch there. Then I see dust mad as hell (she's barely getting over a broody stint)jump from behind the tarp and tackle the hawk. she landed outside and the hawk flew and perched on the fig tree. Dust jumps back in and rushes to the fig tree, Tabasco closely following her behind. Both of them are screaming like possessed b y a bird devil and were probably yelling "huh you want a piece of me you muthafucka HUH HUH YOU STUPID PIECE OF poo poo COME DOWN HERE I DARE YOU HUH HUH WHAT'S WRONG YOU SCARED MUTHAFUCKA HUH HUH HUH!?" in bird lingo (well, dust probably was saying that, Tabasco was most likely saying "yeah what she said yeah you afraid of us, huh?"). they both were all fluffed up and looked twice their size and look so angry the hawk didn't even try to find another spot to perch on and try to get breakfast. It just flew away.

It was a pretty amusing way to start the day.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

Then I see it. The hawk was on the ground and flew to the tarp to perch there. Then I see dust mad as hell (she's barely getting over a broody stint)jump from behind the tarp and tackle the hawk. she landed outside and the hawk flew and perched on the fig tree. Dust jumps back in and rushes to the fig tree, Tabasco closely following her behind. Both of them are screaming like possessed b y a bird devil and were probably yelling "huh you want a piece of me you muthafucka HUH HUH YOU STUPID PIECE OF poo poo COME DOWN HERE I DARE YOU HUH HUH WHAT'S WRONG YOU SCARED MUTHAFUCKA HUH HUH HUH!?" in bird lingo (well, dust probably was saying that, Tabasco was most likely saying "yeah what she said yeah you afraid of us, huh?"). they both were all fluffed up and looked twice their size and look so angry the hawk didn't even try to find another spot to perch on and try to get breakfast. It just flew away.

LOL. WE WILL CUT CHOO! :ese: :ese: No wonder that hawk didn't stick around for long. :D

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Chido posted:

I have to confess something. I don't quite like Tabasco 100% because he's much more hyper than Roostroyer was, and the horny cock has pecked my feet rather hard a couple of times already. He's never tried to flog me yet, though. Also dust my ghetto head henhoe has never been friendly exactly, and I'm not too attached to her.

However, these two have earned their food. A couple of days ago a hawk landed on the grass in the backyard. We have the yard divided in half with a silt fence because of house remodeling, and the chickens have been pretty good at staying on their enclosure, even though they can jump over the tarp of the fence (it's only about 3 feet high). Anyways, at first I couldn't see what the commotion was about. It was early in the morning, almost 8am, and I was half asleep. So I see most of the chickens gathered around and under our pomegranate tree, and only see Tabasco's huge comb on the opposite side from where the chickens are.

Your birds are hard as gently caress. :unsmigghh:

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
There's a video on youtube of a hawk getting caught in a pen of asils.

It doesn't end well for the hawk.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Keep an eye out for that hawk Chido, once they get bold like that it's bad news. We had a Sharpshin get really nonchalant about perching on the wires RIGHT over the yard, pissed the chickens off no end. I even went out and tried to shoo him away, tossing oranges off the tree up next to him, trying to get him to leave without hurting him.

He just watched the oranges go up and down until I gave up.

Then one day he swooped in on three broody hens that were sunbathing under the orange tree and tried to walk over to them, thinking they were easy pickin's...

The broodies jumped him as one and held him down until the rest of the flock got there to help STOMP him. The noise and dust they raised was unbelievable. I ran out there just in time to see the hawk somehow get loose and escape, although he flew off in pretty rough shape. Some of the hens were so angry, they turned on each other and fought among themselves until I waded in to break things up.

I didn't see that hawk after that.

Is this the hawk in the coop vid? I noticed he got thumped by the hens first...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4iC6E5RNpw

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Respectfully, VS, I think that hawk might need to keep an eye out for Chido's :ese: chickens. :ohdear:

It's a quiet evening in fall when all of a sudden, machine gun fire erupts near a hawk's nest. There's no proof, no bodies, no anything by the time the cops get there because that hawk got mowed down by the Cartel. ...The chicken cartel. *dramatic reverb*

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Respectfully, VS, I think that hawk might need to keep an eye out for Chido's :ese: chickens. :ohdear:

It's a quiet evening in fall when all of a sudden, machine gun fire erupts near a hawk's nest. There's no proof, no bodies, no anything by the time the cops get there because that hawk got mowed down by the Cartel. ...The chicken cartel. *dramatic reverb*

You don't mess with the chicken cartel. They have assets.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

That hawk has been around since last year, and I don't doubt it's the same one who was walking on the ground walking into the run a while ago. :ohdear: I know there's a chance that I may get home to less chickens in the yard, but I can't do much to protect them during the day besides provide them with plenty of shelter and places to hide. I just hope that never happens :(.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Keep an eye out for that hawk Chido, once they get bold like that it's bad news. We had a Sharpshin get really nonchalant about perching on the wires RIGHT over the yard, pissed the chickens off no end. I even went out and tried to shoo him away, tossing oranges off the tree up next to him, trying to get him to leave without hurting him.

He just watched the oranges go up and down until I gave up.

Then one day he swooped in on three broody hens that were sunbathing under the orange tree and tried to walk over to them, thinking they were easy pickin's...

The broodies jumped him as one and held him down until the rest of the flock got there to help STOMP him. The noise and dust they raised was unbelievable. I ran out there just in time to see the hawk somehow get loose and escape, although he flew off in pretty rough shape. Some of the hens were so angry, they turned on each other and fought among themselves until I waded in to break things up.

I didn't see that hawk after that.

Is this the hawk in the coop vid? I noticed he got thumped by the hens first...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4iC6E5RNpw

I love the "rooster ghetto stomp" comment.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.

Chido posted:

That hawk has been around since last year, and I don't doubt it's the same one who was walking on the ground walking into the run a while ago. :ohdear: I know there's a chance that I may get home to less chickens in the yard, but I can't do much to protect them during the day besides provide them with plenty of shelter and places to hide. I just hope that never happens :(.

I have one tree I let all the undergrowth grow up under, and the chickens LOVED spending a lot of their day in it. Pretty easy way to keep them safe during the day, but I suppose it depends on the size of your property.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Ooooh, there's a waterfowl farm about half an hour from me that bred the 2012 Ohio National Champion goose and offers them at a decent price. Totally getting some buff and greys next spring.

Look at the heft on this fella!

Edit: I suck at attaching photos. Here he is!

unprofessional fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 1, 2013

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

unprofessional posted:

Look at the heft on this fella!

Dat is one fine, fat goose. I thought at first he had a white crest on his head. :D

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Inveigle posted:

Dat is one fine, fat goose. I thought at first he had a white crest on his head. :D

HOLY poo poo ME TO. Cockagoose. Geeseatoo. Can you imagine? The intelligence and noise of a cockatoo, the murderous rage of a guard goose. Humanity would not survive.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I, for one, welcome our new avian overlords.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
Growing up, my grandma kept pet geese. They were wonderful! I even brought two babies home but my dad made me take them back to the 'farm.' I was afraid the neighbor's cats would attack them as they did my baby chicks from school. I stayed awake and watched them every minute of every hour then my dad said enough. I still got to visit and play with them at her place. Love their waddle/walk and their honking! Alright, time for me to go youtube geese.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
So my neighbor's (two houses down) rooster has discovered my hens and every morning he brings his flock into my backyard to try to wrangle my hens when I let them out, and his hens raid the coop and eat the grain. Is there a polite way of asking "please stop letting your chickens out so I can let my chickens out" or should I just keep my hens penned until he gets bored and loses interest?

I mean I'm fine with being a neighborhood chicken hangout (apparently it's the bird feeder that attracts them all), I just don't want them eating all the grain because I want to keep the coop open for my hens.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Lyz posted:

So my neighbor's (two houses down) rooster has discovered my hens and every morning he brings his flock into my backyard to try to wrangle my hens when I let them out, and his hens raid the coop and eat the grain. Is there a polite way of asking "please stop letting your chickens out so I can let my chickens out" or should I just keep my hens penned until he gets bored and loses interest?

I mean I'm fine with being a neighborhood chicken hangout (apparently it's the bird feeder that attracts them all), I just don't want them eating all the grain because I want to keep the coop open for my hens.

Get a privacy fence installed.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Lyz posted:

Go over and ask your neighbor to give you a big of grain to make up for all the grain their chickens are eating. Perhaps they'll take a hint.

Actually, I'd be worried if my chickens were free-ranging all over the neighborhood. They could get hit by a car or someone might decide to snatch a free chicken for dinner (either an animal or a human). The thing is, if the chickens are going into other people's yards, they're being a nuisance (unless the chickens' owner gets permission first).

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Lyz posted:

Not to mention disease they can bring to your hens! Neighbors should keep their animals in their yard, NO EXCEPTIONS (am I being unreasonable?)!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Steadychicam.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

:aaa: I must know more.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

Steadychicam.

LINK, drat you! :neckbeard:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Well, here's someebody trying to do cockcam :haw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UytSNlHw8J8

Edit: found it! It's from a commercial :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbd7TtKrDFc&t=38s

Site where I found it is here.

http://petapixel.com/2013/10/02/humor-chicken-based-image-stabilizer-rig-delivers-super-steady-results/

Chido fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 3, 2013

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

The other commercial at Chido's link is prety cute, too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=26bw-fF3QbY

I was sure they'd get to Lizzy skydiving, but the end of the Lizzy commercial made me laugh :)

Love how the guy on YouTube who did the Smarter Every Day vid donned safety glasses because his huge (so docile he was nearly asleep) pet roo had spurs. :supaburn:

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I dunno, at the end of that video the first one (I think?) was kinda flailin' around pretty good before he calmed it down a little. I'd be wary of my eyeballs, too. Not least because sometimes the girls get up on my shoulders and I'm positive they're wondering how my eyes will taste.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

A chicken going kayaking and skydiving and all kinds of adventures like that is just rad as hell to me.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

unprofessional posted:

Muscovy ducks! My favourite type of ducks.

Meanwhile, it is spring, which means the days are long and suitable for chicken adventures. We have been working on a new type of exercise that we call...

...Kali-sthenics :downsrim:

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Got some ex-battery hens on the weekend. They look like hell and getting the run set up in the heat was a pain but the the :3: noises they made when they got to take dirt baths for the first time made it worth the effort.

Suzy thinks they are pretty interesting as well.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

One thing I will say, my ex-bats are ninjas at escaping. I've seen them jump 4ft after I've clipped their wings and they're more than smart enough to use the top of a henhouse as a jumping-off-point. Watch them with that little fence...

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

thatbastardken posted:

Got some ex-battery hens on the weekend.
You are a good person. :3:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
So my hen witht he limp is finally getting better. She isnt 100% but she is walking around much better than she was. The problem is she was the dominant hen. So now that she lost her place the second oldest is running around beating the hell out of the two younger ones when they try to be queen hen of the coop. I hadnt ever seen a chicken grab another one by the back of its head and slam it into the ground, but I saw it on Saturday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

thatbastardken posted:

Got some ex-battery hens on the weekend. They look like hell and getting the run set up in the heat was a pain but the the :3: noises they made when they got to take dirt baths for the first time made it worth the effort.

You are an EXCELLENT person. :)

Their poor pale little combs, poor babies...I must say their feathers are in better shape than most ex-bats I've seen. Be aware, lots of ex-bats suffer from chronic poor health and are, I've found, more likely to develop nasty tumors and the like due to their lovely horrofic living conditions and crappy nutrition before they came to you. But any time they get in their life out of a freakin' tiny cage is a gift.

I love ex-bats and the people who adopt them. :neckbeard: