Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Abitha Denton posted:

Alternately, he can carry anything and move super fast. He'd put construction workers out of work, and then who's the villain?

Maybe after he beats a monster down he robs them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

Liar posted:

Maybe after he beats a monster down he robs eats them.

We have seen that before.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Remember when Sneck picked a fight with Saitama because he didn't like the idea of a little bald guy climbing past him in the ratings?
I really hope some other heroes try that.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

AnonSpore posted:

In my mind it was that the test involved questions like, "There's a hostage situation. A man is holding a gun to the head of a child. You are unarmed, with another criminal pointing a gun at you. What do you do?" and then Saitama wrote down answers like "I punch the first guy before he can pull the trigger, and then punch the second guy."

I wish I could speak Japanese because I would send an email or something to ONE/Murata telling them they should do this as a minor filler chapter or something, just a mock exam paper with Saitama's answers and doodles in the margins.

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
License-less rider is the best. :allears:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Devour or Fire posted:

Actually, Licenseless Rider's Japanese name is Namen Rider.

What does that translate to? Please explain the joke to me.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

What does that translate to? Please explain the joke to me.

It sounds a lot like Kamen Rider.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

It sounds a lot like Kamen Rider.

I understand that, but is there anything more to the pun?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Bongo Bill posted:

I understand that, but is there anything more to the pun?

His Japanese name is actually Mumen Rider, not Namen. It translates to Licenseless Rider, as per Boon's translation. It makes sense because Kamen Rider rides a motorcycle, but since Mumen Rider has no license, he has to make do with a bicycle.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
We're going to find out that the entrance exam was to write an essay about why they wanted to be a hero. Saitama only wrote one sentence: "I'm not a hero."

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

AnonSpore posted:

His Japanese name is actually Mumen Rider, not Namen. It translates to Licenseless Rider, as per Boon's translation. It makes sense because Kamen Rider rides a motorcycle, but since Mumen Rider has no license, he has to make do with a bicycle.

I just realized the "licenseless" part is not due to him not being a licensed hero but due to not having a motorcycle driving license. Since obviously he's a licensed Rank 1 C-class hero.

Rainbow Pony Deluxe posted:

We're going to find out that the entrance exam was to write an essay about why they wanted to be a hero. Saitama only wrote one sentence: "I'm not a hero."

Saitama would write: "It's a hobby".

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Didn't he mention how he's become dissociated with humanity near the start of the comic? That could probably cause some issues with any self written paper.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Ak Gara posted:

Didn't he mention how he's become dissociated with humanity near the start of the comic? That could probably cause some issues with any self written paper.

Dude's just a bit of an awkward loner. Remember the high school flashback, we see him talking back to the angry teacher trying to make an example of him the first time someone missed homework in class. The teacher just wants to chew out someone who didn't do their homework in front of the class to hammer home the idea that you've gotta do your homework, it's important. Saitama tries to engage with the teacher logically, which isn't what anyone wants, because he doesn't know what any other student should do in that situation.... look at the floor and mumble, "Yes, sir. Sorry, sir. Won't happen again, sir," until the teacher says they can sit down.

He probably had the same problem with the written test: A lot of literalistic quibbling in the answers instead of giving the platitudes the test givers want. It's a very common problem, and part of the reason why making an unbiased test is tremendously difficult.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Mystic Mongol posted:

Dude's just a bit of an awkward loner. Remember the high school flashback, we see him talking back to the angry teacher trying to make an example of him the first time someone missed homework in class. The teacher just wants to chew out someone who didn't do their homework in front of the class to hammer home the idea that you've gotta do your homework, it's important. Saitama tries to engage with the teacher logically, which isn't what anyone wants, because he doesn't know what any other student should do in that situation.... look at the floor and mumble, "Yes, sir. Sorry, sir. Won't happen again, sir," until the teacher says they can sit down.

He probably had the same problem with the written test: A lot of literalistic quibbling in the answers instead of giving the platitudes the test givers want. It's a very common problem, and part of the reason why making an unbiased test is tremendously difficult.

I don't believe that Saitama is attempting to make the teacher understand his viewpoint, instead he simply cannot comprehend why the teacher would instantly think Saitama is a delinquent. Does this mean that Saitama doesn't understand what it means to be jaded? Or is it that Saitama simply thinks everyone should, for the greater good, be able to easily overcome their jadedness. The B-Class Training chapter further illustrates this understanding that Saitama has about the world, Saitama is simply unable to comprehend why people are unable to rise above their self-imposed defeatist worldviews.

To me, the essence of Onepunch-Man is that every person is his own worst enemy, and only in understanding this ethos, can one overcome one's own limitations.

Or maybe I've read too much into this. :shrug:

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013
He problaby wrote:
"Too many long questions! Make one question with ten words at most!"

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

Captain Quack posted:

He problaby wrote:
"Too many long questions! Make one question with ten words at most!"

Saitama's Ideal Test:

Mark your answer with a checkmark

Question 1: Do you want to be a hero?

YES

NO

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I like to think it was like Red from Shawshank Redemption.

Do you feel like you're a hero?
Hero? Well now let me see. I have no idea what that means.
Well it means-
I know what you think it means. To me it's just a made up word. A politicians word.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtwXlIwozog

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Or perhaps hes an idiot and you spergs are ruining the joke?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Terror Sweat posted:

Or perhaps hes an idiot and you spergs are ruining the joke?

It seems like everyone else is making jokes. Maybe...maybe you're the sperg?

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

It seems like everyone else is making jokes. Maybe...maybe you're the sperg?

There are a couple people who definitely weren't making jokes.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Law Cheetah posted:

There are a couple people who definitely weren't making jokes.

Probably! But it's not like the translator wrote any of this in the margins of the issue, so nobody "ruined the joke". And saying people are mentally deficient is probably a little extreme.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I'm just going to suggest y'all read One and stop making silly guesses about what's going to happen when it already happened.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Rainbow Pony Deluxe posted:

I'm just going to suggest y'all read One and stop making silly guesses about what's going to happen when it already happened.

No because that's dumb. Thats like going into the Attack On Titan anime thread and telling them to shut up about their theories and go read the manga. Some people have no interest reading One's version, and hey, this thread is for them.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I agree, let's sperg about Saitama's IQ.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Let's get angry about people making jokes. No wait, let's go on probation.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
I really just want Saitama to eventually get his own stable of superheroes working alongside him. Aside from Genos, seeing guys like Licenseless Rider and the dude from the Blizzard Group forming a team with Saitama would be so :allears:.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
Well that's the thing. He doesn't need a team. In fact, a team would just mean a bunch of people he would ostensibly have to care about getting hurt until he finally shows up and does his thing. So basically like how things already are, but with extra baggage.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
On the other hand, having a network of people who know who to call for when and where the crazy poo poo shows up would be a pretty handy thing.

Also Licenseless Rider could speed his arrival at least marginally :v:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tollymain posted:

On the other hand, having a network of people who know who to call for when and where the crazy poo poo shows up would be a pretty handy thing.

How could Licenseless Rider possibly ride faster than Saitama can run / walk / crawl / jump?

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

JosephWongKS posted:

How could Licenseless Rider possibly ride faster than Saitama can run / walk / crawl / jump?

Unlike Saitama, he knows which direction to go.

Opter
Jul 8, 2010

Tollymain posted:

Now I want to see Saitama riding on the back of Licenseless Rider's bike. Dude's gotta get tired of running/walking/jumping everywhere.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

Cthulhuchan posted:

Well that's the thing. He doesn't need a team. In fact, a team would just mean a bunch of people he would ostensibly have to care about getting hurt until he finally shows up and does his thing. So basically like how things already are, but with extra baggage.

That only matters in serious battle manga. In this more friends just means more people to bounce off of, or in this case become a semi-useless peanut gallery that makes fun of each other and convinces him that enemies are too weak for him every once and a while just so they can get a punch in.

Opter posted:

Now I want to see Saitama riding on the back of Licenseless Rider's bike. Dude's gotta get tired of running/walking/jumping everywhere.

Saitama pedals while LR rides on the handlebars and gives directions.:3: They have to give LR some sort of space metal bike to keep it from getting trashed.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Opter posted:

Actually considering Saitama's tendency to be just a bit late when a massive villain shows up I've come to imagine that getting places quickly is more an issue of not running past the event completely for Saitama. With one leap he's probably reaching sub-orbit. And a brisk jog for him would land him lost in America.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
New chapter is out in in Japanese. For those of you who've been reading ONE's version, this is where those scanlations pick up.

http://tonarinoyj.jp/manga/onepanman/37/

:siren:THE KING ENGINE IS REVVING UP:siren:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Child Emperor looks a lot younger than I thought he was.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Man he really nailed those designs.

RatHat posted:

Child Emperor looks a lot younger than I thought he was.

He's 10.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Watchdog Man! :swoon:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

JosephWongKS posted:

Watchdog Man! :swoon:
Look at him sitting there :allears:

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

New chapter is out in in Japanese. For those of you who've been reading ONE's version, this is where those scanlations pick up.

http://tonarinoyj.jp/manga/onepanman/37/

:siren:THE KING ENGINE IS REVVING UP:siren:

Comparing the art panel for panel is amusing. I'm glad Murata left the "absent" hero cards basically the same. S Rank #1 being introduced that way still amuses the hell out of me.

And King. I've been looking forward to him ever since I picked him out of the cover in the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caeruleas
Mar 5, 2007
This too shall pass

Nahxela posted:

Look at him sitting there :allears:

Just smelling farts. :shobon:

e: Misread. Rather, someone farted.

Caeruleas fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 3, 2013