Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Bad Moon posted:

Victor was the one who challenged Phelan and got schooled by a force one third its size. There's nobody alive who wouldn't take an opportunity to be a smug dick to Victor Davion after that :colbert:

To be fair, Rana Kerensky did all of the work since Phelan and Kai killed each other. She's a 1/1 in a Warhawk-C so that's not surprising. Pulse Lasers + Targeting Computer make her effectively a -2/1. Victor's only a 2/3 pilot at this point in his career, and Galen's even worse. Then, the faceless Kell Hounds they have with them can't show them up so they're either 3/3 or 3/4.

Edit: I've started compiling the contest entries, since it doesn't look like I'm getting any more. Time to show off the Firestarter IFV!

Double Edit: Only 3 4 disqualifications so far (one of them would've been a by, but the design has no specialty)

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Oct 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Oh, I'm still learning the design rules. Is it ok if I send in a late entry as long as it's before the mission ends?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yup

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
Go for bred for war. Only battle tech book i ever read. It was good, when i was 14.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

there can be no peace until everyone is safe
Natural Selection was probably one of the first 10 BattleTech novels I read. It was definitely the first I'd heard of the Red Corsair. Not knowing any of the history of that made that weirder. (This was all before Sarna.net).

Crap as it is, there's still some stuff I like about it:
-Nelson Geist runs an LRM Battlemaster, which I didn't know was a thing before then. As a bonus, there's a picture of it at the end of the prologue.
-Liz Danforth does the art, and it may not be perfect but it's perfectly acceptable for in-novel picturing. On Page 46, Phelan Kell is clearly VERY ugly, and VSD honestly doesn't look all that great either, but the cinnamon rolls look delicious...there's also Omi and Victor in front of a rose that's mysteriously suspended in space, a man in a coat and hat, Melissa Steiner-Davion looking angry in a dress, VSD throwing a tantrum in front of a window, a fairly ridiculous rendering of a man driving a Battlemaster, an asian man pointing at a coin, a Valkyrie getting bombarded with missiles, and a woman wearing not very much clothing while looking smug. God I love these books.
-A lot of the older ones (This is labelled Roc BattleTech #5, copyrighted 1992) have line art of what are now the Unseen in the back, which made sense in the Gray Death Trilogy books where people actually used them. This book has them too, even though I'm pretty sure not a single one of those 'mechs are ever in the book.
-There is at least one truly odd use of VR
-Clan Wolf goes to the mall, as is only appropriate in the early 1990s/late space-80s

Personally, though, I don't think the book is quite as bad as Blood of Heroes. I'm not sure that I've ever actually reread that one.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Natural Selection is definitely the one to read. It's completely bizarre.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
It also had Ragnar being awesome during a misguided rescue attempt, Conal getting what he deserved, and a buckshot abortion.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

To be fair, Rana Kerensky did all of the work since Phelan and Kai killed each other. She's a 1/1 in a Warhawk-C so that's not surprising. Pulse Lasers + Targeting Computer make her effectively a -2/1. Victor's only a 2/3 pilot at this point in his career, and Galen's even worse. Then, the faceless Kell Hounds they have with them can't show them up so they're either 3/3 or 3/4.

So Ranna is, to paraphrase Senor Chang, one of those assholes who shows up to a novice paintball match with super-expensive gear and then talks poo poo after?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Nah, she only talks poo poo to Phelan, the dumb pubbie on her team who keeps grabbing the star and giving orders before charging into their whole team and dying.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
It's not really a novice match even at 3/3 and 3/4, but given that she's the equivalent of an Olympic Gold/Silver Champion you might think she'd disable the extra equipment. I guess she knew her teammate would gently caress it up.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 2, 2013

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Ryan's Rebels in a merc listing? :what:

They're not mercs, they're one of the most infamous pirate gangs to plague the IS. (Also, they're pretty likely dead by now considering their Periphery hideout was right in the path of the invading Clans.)

BMcDonough
Jul 30, 2013

Magni posted:

Ryan's Rebels in a merc listing? :what:

They're not mercs, they're one of the most infamous pirate gangs to plague the IS.

A lot of people have a tendency to lump anything not a line unit of a Great House into 'Mercs' in Battletech, completely ignoring the fundamental difference of 'A mercenary takes money for fighting. A pirate fights to take money.'

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Magni posted:

They're not mercs, they're one of the most infamous pirate gangs to plague the IS. (Also, they're pretty likely dead by now considering their Periphery hideout was right in the path of the invading Clans.)

In fact, canonically, most of them survived deep into the Jihad, by hiding in the asteroid belts of Star's End and annoying the hell out of two different Clans.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It took 3-4 BattleMechs the better part of 4 turns, but they may finally get the Talos this turn.

Edit: Also, it looks like someone is committing suicide. :psyduck:

Double Edit: Today is Large Laser TAC day, I guess.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 2, 2013

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

...the Talos this turn.
...someone is committing suicide.
...Today is Large Laser TAC day, I guess.
Exploding Mech Day is the best day.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Steel Will: Tactical Update 9

Combat Phase
Impact Point Zero
2) Griffin
- Fires ER PPC at Bobcat (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 EM Radiation = 10): rolled 2, miss!
- Fires SRM-6 at Bobcat (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 EM Radiation = 10): rolled 2, miss!
- Fires SRM-6 at Bobcat (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 EM Radiation = 10): rolled 9, miss!
- Gains 25 heat, sinks 22! Overheating!

3) Enfield
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Talos II (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 EM Interference - 2 Pulse Laser = 7): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Talos II (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 EM Interference = 9): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Talos II (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 EM Interference = 9): rolled 2, miss!
- Fires Small Laser at Talos II (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 EM Interference = 9): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires LB-10X (CLUSTER) at Talos II (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 EM Interference - 1 cluster = 8): rolled 10, 4 submunitions hit Left Arm (8/9 structure remains (Crit!)), Left Arm (7/9 structure remains (Crit!)), Left Leg (3/13 structure remains (TAC!)), Left Torso (17/18 armor remains)!
- Gains 21 heat, sinks 22!

7) Huron Warrior
- Fires ER Large Laser at Talos (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 EM Interference = 9): rolled 10, hit Right Torso (0/13 armor remains)! Torso destroyed!
- - Damage transfers to Center Torso (4/18 structure remains)! Crit!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Talos (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 EM Interference = 9): rolled 8, miss!
- Gains 15 heat, sinks 17!

4) Wolverine
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1324!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Talos (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 EM Interference - 2 Pulse Laser = 7): rolled 7, hit Left Leg (0/13 structure remains)! Leg blown off!
- - Damage transfers to Left Torso (11/18 armor remains)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Talos (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 EM Interference - 2 Pulse Laser = 7): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Small Pulse Laser at Talos (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 EM Interference - 2 Pulse Laser = 9): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires SRM-6 at Talos (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 EM Interference = 9): rolled 11, 5 missiles hit Center Torso (2/18 structure remains (Crit!)), Left Torso (9/18 armor remains), Center Torso (0/18 structure remains (Torso Destroyed!)), Right Leg (8/13 structure remains (Crit!)), Center Torso!
- Fires SRM-6 at Talos (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 EM Interference = 9): rolled 10, 2 missiles hit Left Torso (7/18 armor remains), Right Leg (8/13 structure remains (Crit!))!
- Gains 27 heat, sinks 26!

Talos II
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1322!
- Fires Large Laser at Enfield (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 EM Interference = 9): rolled 10, hit Left Leg (16/24 armor remains)!
- Fires SRM-6 at Enfield (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 EM Interference = 9): rolled 2, miss!
- Fires Machine Gun at Enfield (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 EM Interference = 9): rolled 9, hit Left Torso (18/20 armor remains)!
- Fires Machine Gun at Enfield (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 EM Interference = 9): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires Machine Gun at Enfield (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 EM Interference = 9): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Machine Gun at Enfield (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 EM Interference = 9): rolled 5, miss!
- Gains 18 weapon heat!

Bobcat
- Torso twists to threaten hex 1317!
- Fires Medium Laser at Griffin (4 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 EM Interference = 10): rolled 9, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Griffin (4 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 EM Interference = 10): rolled 5, miss!
- Gains 10 weapon heat!

Cronus
- Fires Large Laser at Enfield (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 EM Interference = 9): rolled 10, hit Right Leg (16/24 armor remains)! TAC!
- Fires Medium Laser at Wolverine (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 EM Interference = 11): rolled 6, miss!
- Gains 17 weapon heat!

Hunter Light Support Tank
- Fires LRM-20 at Wolverine (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 EM Interference = 10): Rolled 9, miss!

Yantai Reservation
9) Watchman
- Fires Large Laser at Quasit II (4 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement = 7): rolled 8, hit Right Leg (4/19 armor remains)! TAC
- Gains 9 heat, sinks 12!

10) Blackjack
- Fires PPC at Quasit II (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 heat = 8): rolled 9, hit Center Torso (13/23 armor remains)!
- Gains 12 heat, sinks 20!

11) Raven
- Fires Medium Laser at Plainsman (4 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement = 10): rolled 9, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Plainsman (4 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement = 10): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires SRM-6 at Plainsman (4 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement = 10): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires Machine Gun at Plainsman (4 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement = 10): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires Machine Gun at Plainsman (4 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement = 10): rolled 7, miss!
- Gains 13 heat, sinks 12!

12) Firebee
- Holds fire!
- Gains 10 heat, sinks 10! Overheating!

Cicada
- Fires ER PPC at Firebee (4 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement = 7): rolled 9, hit Center Torso (0/11 armor, 10/11 structure remains)! TAC!
- Gains 15 weapon heat! Overheating!

Phoenix
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1220!
- Fires PPC at Blackjack (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 6, hit Center Torso (6/18 armor remains)!
- Gains 10 weapon heat!

Quasit II
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1116!
- Fires Light AC/5 at Firebee (4 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement = 4): rolled 6, hit Right Torso (5/10 armor remains)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Firebee (4 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement = 4): rolled 6, hit Right Leg (6/13 armor remains)!
- Fires SRM-2 (Inferno) at Firebee (4 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement = 4): rolled 7, 2 missiles generate 4 heat!
- Fires SRM-2 (Inferno) at Firebee (4 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement = 4): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires SRM-2 (Inferno) at Firebee (4 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement = 4): rolled 7, 1 missile generates 2 heat!
- Fires SRM-2 (Inferno) at Firebee (4 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement = 4): rolled 7, 1 missile generates 2 heat!
- Fires Machine Gun at Firebee (4 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement = 4): rolled 4, hit Right Leg (4/13 armor remains)!
- Fires Machine Gun at Firebee (4 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement = 4): rolled 8, hit Right Leg (2/13 armor remains)!
- Fires Machine Gun at Firebee (4 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement = 4): rolled 11, hit Left Leg (6/13 armor remains)!
- Fires Machine Gun at Firebee (4 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement = 4): rolled 9, hit Left Leg (4/13 armor remains)!
- Fires Machine Gun at Firebee (4 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement = 4): rolled 7, hit Head (7/9 armor remains)! Pilot Hit!
- Gains 12 weapon heat! Overheating!

Drillson Heavy Hovertank
- Holds Fire!

Plainsman Hovertank
- Fires SRM-6 at Raven (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires SRM-6 at Raven (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 6, miss!

End Phase:
Enfield
- Through-Armor Critical Chance in Right Leg! No critical hits sustained!

Quasit II
- Through-Armor Critical Chance in Right Leg! No critical hits sustained!

Firebee
- Through-Armor Critical Chance in Center Torso! 1 critical hit sustained!
- - Engine Hit! +5 heat/turn!
- Must pass a 3+ consciousness test: rolled 7, succeeds!

Physical Combat Phase:
Raven
- Kicks Plainsman! Target too low to kick!

Firebee
- Kicks Quasit II (5 base + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement -2 kick = 4): rolled 9, hit Left Leg (0/12 structure remains)! Leg destroyed!

Turn End Phase:
Firebee
- Overheating! Must pass an 8+ test or shutdown: rolled 4, fails!
- Overheating! Must pass a 6+ test to avoid ammunition explosion: rolled 10, succeeds!

“It’s only a matter of time now,” Anong said as her SRMs finished off the crippled Taurian Talos. Her utterance was mostly for her own benefit, she expected Otaktay didn’t need any reassurance. Her Wolverine strode forward with confidence, past the rounded form of the enemy’s not-quite-an-Enforcer. Not the enemy’s, she corrected herself. Hopefully.

At first, Otaktay’s reply was a typical grunt; but after a few moments he elaborated. “What happens after, I wonder?”

Anong stared in silence at the New Syrtus pilot as she passed. She couldn’t make much out past the 360-degree circle-vision strip her neurohelmet tricked her brain into seeing in the space between her helmet and the armored canopy. If she’d wanted to, she could’ve counted the pores in the enemy pilot’s skin; but there was no point. With the jamming, they had no way of sharing communications frequencies.

The Talos seemed to topple in slow motion as her Wolverine crossed the last few meters—soon the Enforcer would pass by. The Wolverine’s left hand came up, and Anong winced as the neurohelmet responded to her intent. The Wolverine’s fingers responded: 3, 0, 1, an index finger pointing directly at the New Syrtan pilot, 4. The other machine passed an instant later, its torso twisting to watch the falling Talos. The other pilot gave no sign he or she had seen Anong’s message. Probably they hadn’t.

Anong re-tuned one of her company-level comm channels to monitor frequency 301.4, just in case.

Anne’s announcement, “My engine’s crippled, I can’t get clear,” was greeted by shocked silence. Her little Firebee burned as another salvo of enemy Infernos struck home. Bare armor gleamed a chalky silver as paint burned away, then scorched an ugly black. Her computer screamed shutdown warnings, and cut power to non-essential systems. She swung her large laser in line with the Quasit’s chest, but her fingers’ insistent pull on the Firebee’s primary target interlock circuit was met only with the sharp hiss of venting steam as her `Mech struggled to keep the weapon’s overheated charging coils from exploding.

Bullets mushroomed against her canopy, the kinetic energy of the impacts flaking away the ablative layers of glass-ceramic-polymers, showering her with shards that weren’t supposed to be sharp as razors but typically were anyway. She cried out in frustration and pain, and drove her `Mech’s foot into the Quasit’s damaged knee. Overstressed frame members snapped like cordwood twigs, and drove the crippled Quasit face-first into the ground.

Her body jerked involuntarily as her `Mech shut down, severing her connection to her `Mech’s DI computer and leaving her in blackness lit only by the flames clinging to the outside of her cockpit.

Delta Battle Lance “The Avenging Angels” Primary Objectives:
- Survive (incomplete)
- Rescue Capellan Survivors (complete)

Delta Battle Lance “The Avenging Angels” Secondary Objectives:
- Destroy the Capellan Survivors* (incomplete)
- Defeat Taurian Forces (incomplete)

2nd Lance, 1st Company, 3rd Chesterton Voltigeurs Primary Objectives:
- Survive (incomplete)
- Link up with the New Syrtis Rescue Party (complete)

2nd Lance, 1st Company, 3rd Chesterton Voltigeurs Primary Objectives:
- Destroy the New Syrtis Rescue Party* (incomplete)

India Recon Lance “The Last Report” Primary Objectives:
- Survive (incomplete)

India Recon Lance “The Last Report” Secondary Objectives:
- Defend the Fallout Bunker Entrance (incomplete)
- Use the Raven’s equipment to confirm the condition of the six bunkers and the number (if any) of the survivors (1/6)

Point Zero Enemy Movement Mods:
- Bobcat – Ran +3
- Cronus – Walked +1
- Hunter – Stationary +0

Yantai Reservation Enemy Movement Mods:
- Cicada – Jumped +4
- Phoenix – Jumped +3
- Drillson – Flanked +4
- Plainsman – Cruised +3

Player Status:

Enemy Status:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 3, 2013

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Well, ok. Can't say I expected the Firebee to do that. At least it finished off the Quasit before getting effectively mission killed, I suppose?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Blackjack here. If I get into column 11 will I be hitting the Phoenix in its rear armor or would I have to get into column 10?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
You can't hit its rear armor from either.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 2, 2013

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Thanks!

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Huron Warrior here. Finally that stupid Talos is dead. That took a shamefully long time. Ok thread, now what should I shoot? Bobact or Cronus? Hunter?

VV: Well I guess that's technically an option.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 3, 2013

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Olothreutes posted:

Huron Warrior here. Finally that stupid Talos is dead. That took a shamefully long time. Ok thread, now what should I shoot? Bobact or Cronus? Hunter?

Enfield.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Olothreutes posted:

That took a shamefully long time.

It's a heavily armored zombie that crits just wouldn't stick to, I wouldn't feel too bad about it. It happens sometimes.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Wolverine’s fingers responded: 3, 0, 1, an index finger pointing directly at the New Syrtan pilot, 4.
... 301.5

One of these things is not like the other.

I've just finished my binge through the thread, and this thread is amazing. Thank you all for the entertainment.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Olothreutes posted:

VV: Well I guess that's technically an option.

Go to 824 or 825, shoot cronus in the butt.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Well, the Firebee is all but gone, shut down due to a serious overheating due to Infernos not helped by an engine hit... And the Phoenix is right there, one elevation above it, ready to deliver the coup de grace. At least it took out (mission killed?) the Quasit before it shut down with a good kick to the legs. Probably doesn't have to worry about any Inferno SRMs anymore. Still, it's about to be taken out itself, unless the Watchman piloted by her husband is in a position to intervene. Seems close enough, and he might be able to move into its line of fire, but I very much doubt the Phoenix pilot will not take the chance to pretty much take the Firebee out of commission here. I dunno about Taurian pilot mentalities, although they did just nuke the planet... Would he rather take a shot at a still active threat, or will he take the opportunity? Still, if the latter does happen, the Watchman is right there to avenge his wife, I would think. Though maybe the Cicada is in a position to do some damage to the Watchman if he does move in to help his wife? Decisions, decisions.

As for Impact Point Zero, the Capellans manage to finish off the Talos with some assistance from the DNS pair, though I wonder how much longer this potential cooperation will last... Two enemy mechs left there, but they're both pretty dangerous and have some decent firepower there. Still, many mechs from both the Capellans and the DNS are in position to do some decent hurt on both the Cronus and the Bobcat. Let's see what the pilots of GoonDoubleHalfLances have in store for us here.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

GhostStalker posted:

Well, the Firebee is all but gone, shut down due to a serious overheating due to Infernos not helped by an engine hit... And the Phoenix is right there, one elevation above it, ready to deliver the coup de grace. At least it took out (mission killed?) the Quasit before it shut down with a good kick to the legs. Probably doesn't have to worry about any Inferno SRMs anymore. Still, it's about to be taken out itself, unless the Watchman piloted by her husband is in a position to intervene. Seems close enough, and he might be able to move into its line of fire, but I very much doubt the Phoenix pilot will not take the chance to pretty much take the Firebee out of commission here. I dunno about Taurian pilot mentalities, although they did just nuke the planet... Would he rather take a shot at a still active threat, or will he take the opportunity? Still, if the latter does happen, the Watchman is right there to avenge his wife, I would think. Though maybe the Cicada is in a position to do some damage to the Watchman if he does move in to help his wife? Decisions, decisions.

As for Impact Point Zero, the Capellans manage to finish off the Talos with some assistance from the DNS pair, though I wonder how much longer this potential cooperation will last... Two enemy mechs left there, but they're both pretty dangerous and have some decent firepower there. Still, many mechs from both the Capellans and the DNS are in position to do some decent hurt on both the Cronus and the Bobcat. Let's see what the pilots of GoonDoubleHalfLances have in store for us here.

Taurians play like Megamek AI, shooting whatever's easiest to shoot at. The Firebee's toast.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

KnoxZone posted:

Well, ok. Can't say I expected the Firebee to do that. At least it finished off the Quasit before getting effectively mission killed, I suppose?

The good news for the Firebee is, the engine hit doesn't add waste heat while the engine is shut down.

The bad news is, everything else.

That being said, the Firebee delivered the killing blow on two enemy 'Mechs. Even if it dies, its sacrifice has hardly been in vain.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

apostateCourier posted:

Taurians play like Megamek AI, shooting whatever's easiest to shoot at. The Firebee's toast.

Welp, that's not good and the mech is not long for this world... Maybe the pilot will survive, but at least her husband and his Watchman will be in position to take his revenge on the offending Phoenix if he chooses to do so...

And yes, the Firebee pilot should be at least proud to have ended two enemy mech threats on Yantai Reservation before being taken out...

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Looking on the bright side, a turn of unloading on the Firebee is a turn they're not spending unloading on anyone more operational.

Edit - I don't remember the charge rules - is that an option if the Watchman decides to play hero?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
A 4 hex charge from a 40 tonner isn't going to do all that much, if he can even make a charge attack up two elevations (I don't know if this is or is not possible, though.)

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
Raven 4X:
Looks like I better run up to 1523, I don't think I can fire on anything this round...

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I see the Firebee decided not to duck away after all.

Nice kick. :clint:

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Beautiful kick Tiny! Didn't realize SRMs aren't necessarily individually dedicated and can sometimes swap ammunition... and that engine hit on top of it was nasty.
That's 85 tons of finishing kicks now from a 35 ton machine.

Do the Taurians have anywhere to retreat to at Impact Point Zero? I didn't say anything for the last few rounds despite the elegant smackdown they've been receiving at the hands of the mixed force, but it's become increasingly apparent over the last handful of rounds of vulnerable exposure to each other that enemy is finishing them off first and that they are utterly outmaneuvered (became obvious to me the round before and when the Griffin had electronic problems), and if retreat is an option then staying is just a waste of resources. Normally this would be unacceptable due to slow units on the team that can't make it, but (with the exception of the two downed pilots) the slow ones have all been killed.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Oct 3, 2013

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Is he angry enough to save his wife by going for the DFA distraction attack?

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
It would certainly be romantic, and quite possible, though maybe not necessary.

Only the Cicada and Phoenix have LoS on the Firebee if I've understood the terrain and hovering correctly. If the Watchman walks slowly closer to the Cicada I think the combination of a shorter range and the forests between the Cicada and the Firebee might mean a lower TH against the Watchman.
If the Watchman walks right up to or DFAs the Phoenix the Cicada will fire at the Firebee, but the imminent danger might convince the Phoenix to ignore it's targeting priority to defend itself, and a successful hit while highly unlikely would scupper it's melee attack. However I think a DFA would also allow the Drillson to fire at the Watchman. An alternative might also be jumping behind the Phoenix to shoot it in the back and melee, though that would also allow the Drillson to target it.

What does the Firebee need in terms of reactor cooldown and piloting check to stand up and run away immediately next round? If that's likely it might be better to just walk off and fight the Cicada outside it's minimum range to be fired at by MLases or its PPC, as it's quite possible the Firebee can survive one round against the Phoenix (a kick, a PPC and likely 3 2-point SRM hits), as long as the PPC doesn't hit the Head, CT or RL, or the SRMs and the kick hits the same; and also the Phoenix pilot might be disciplined enough to not use it's weapons against a DFA with another target both immobile and more severely damaged.

If the Firebee probably needs two rounds then it might be better to get closer to attempt to attempt area denial next round, if it fails to get I think the TDF will still get lower THs against the Firebee but with better TH it'll get better chances to shoot or DFA.

A further suboptimal move to protect the Firebee might be for the Raven to jump on the island to potentially distract the two hovercraft next round, though I don't think the Drillson will take the bait at least.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 3, 2013

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Readingaccount posted:

It would certainly be romantic, and quite possible, though maybe not necessary.

Only the Cicada and Phoenix have LoS on the Firebee if I've understood the terrain and hovering correctly. If the Watchman walks slowly closer to the Cicada I think the combination of a shorter range and the forests between the Cicada and the Firebee might mean a lower TH against the Watchman.
If the Watchman walks right up to or DFAs the Phoenix the Cicada will fire at the Firebee, but the imminent danger might convince the Phoenix to ignore it's targeting priority to defend itself, and a successful hit while highly unlikely would scupper it's melee attack. However I think a DFA would also allow the Drillson to fire at the Watchman. An alternative might also be jumping behind the Phoenix to shoot it in the back and melee, though that would also allow the Drillson to target it.

What does the Firebee need in terms of reactor cooldown and piloting check to stand up and run away immediately next round? If that's likely it might be better to just walk off and fight the Cicada outside it's minimum range to be fired at by MLases or its PPC, as it's quite possible the Firebee can survive one round against the Phoenix (a kick, a PPC and likely 3 2-point SRM hits), as long as the PPC doesn't hit the Head, CT or RL, or the SRMs and the kick hits the same; and also the Phoenix pilot might be disciplined enough to not use it's weapons against a DFA with another target both immobile and more severely damaged.

If the Firebee probably needs two rounds then it might be better to get closer to attempt to attempt area denial next round, if it fails to get I think the TDF will still get lower THs against the Firebee but with better TH it'll get better chances to shoot or DFA.

A further suboptimal move to protect the Firebee might be for the Raven to jump on the island to potentially distract the two hovercraft next round, though I don't think the Drillson will take the bait at least.

I don't think the Firebee fell over, it's merely in emergency shut down due to an overheat.

Still, your analysis seems sound, especially regarding options for the Watchman if he is to save the Firebee and his wife. I think the best chance for trying to do so is attempting to take out the Phoenix, whether through a DFA or getting behind it and shooting then kicking it, though I think you still can't prevent that mech from shooting at and potentially killing the Firebee since shooting occurs before physical attacks. Sure, maybe threatening the Phoenix with a physical attack or hitting it in the back would make it shift targets, but then there's still the Cicada in the background there with a PPC which probably has LoS to the Firebee's back. However, based off what other people in this thread have said, it is likely that the Phoenix is going to fire at and attempt to finish off the Firebee anyway. And moving to attack the Phoenix either via DFA or from behind will likely provoke shots from the Drillson, if indeed it has LoS. SRMs and a Large Laser has the potential to put some hurt on the Watchman if the Drillson fires on it, but I think the TNs it'll need to hit would be pretty high in any case based off of range and move mods...

Moving to confront the Cicada instead potentially prevents a likely middle to high TN PPC shot attempting to hit the Firebee in the back, but then it frees up the Phoenix to open fire with its PPC and SRMs at point blank against the Firebee, though the PPC will have the minimum range penalty, but since the Firebee is immobile, I think it'll balance out. Then a likely kick, and since the Phoenix is one level up from the Firebee, there's a chance of a head hit with that. Might not be an outright decapitation if that happens, but it'll likely strip most if not all of the armor there away and lead to another pilot hit.

If the Firebee can survive that onslaught, particularly if nothing manages to hit the open CT enough to destroy it or blow off a leg, then it should be ok to attempt to try and start back up, assuming that the excess heat it has is still sinked away when the engine is off and it falls to an appropriate overheat level. I assume this is the case, otherwise, what's the point of shutting down anyway? Then it'll have an attempt to flee to a better position, though then it chances more overheat problems, especially because of the engine hit that it took last round adding +5 heat every turn. Also, the overheat penalties it'll likely have to deal with will have reduced the MP it has to attempt to get away. There's always jump jets, though. I assume that if its going to try and flee, the Firebee is not going to be firing any of its weapons to chance more overheating problems. Also, any fire from the Phoenix connecting with the open CT is going to chance more criticals, potentially hitting the engine once more and adding more heat penalties and possibly killing the mech outright if two engine hits occur and destroy it, or hitting the Gyro instead, causing a piloting check to prevent a fall and likely giving another movement penalty, plus the potential of Gyro destruction due to two hits and taking the Firebee out of the fight in a more permanent manner... However, both those ways of losing the Firebee spares the pilot, so at least the Watchman pilot won't have to fear for his wife's safety during the destruction of her mech. Afterwards is a different matter...

The Raven jumping to the middle island to distract and continue to harass the Plainsman and maybe the Drillson might be a good idea, but its already beat up. Still if it doesn't have any better moves, it might be worth it.

I dunno, there's a lot of decisions to be made by India Recon Lance there on Yantai Reservation. Guess we'll just have to see what the pilots of GoonReconLance decide for next turn... Can't wait to see it.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Oct 3, 2013

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Oh, I thought being shut down was penalized equally or worse than being prone, thanks for the correction!
And yeah, taking out the Phoenix is definitely ideal, it's pristine though, but an ammo cook-off from a rear hit could do it.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 3, 2013

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Readingaccount posted:

Oh, I thought being shut down was penalized equally or worse than being prone, thanks for the correction!

It might be, I dunno. I don't know what the Firebee would need to roll (on a piloting check?) to start its engine back up, assuming that it survives whatever fire comes it way and a likely kick from the Phoenix and sinks enough excess heat during the turn to get it below the shutdown threshold. I just know that it didn't fall down and won't have to make another piloting check afterwards to stand up and get away, allowing it to use all of its MP (likely reduced due to overheat penalties) or its jumpjets to get away and cool down further, or at least get out of the line of fire.

It's likely not going to take any shots with its weapons after it possibly powers back up, what with the +5 heat due to the engine hit, plus whatever else this turn of fire is going to do to it, criticals wise. Doing so will just chance some more overheating problems.

But then again, I'm not the pilot, so Tiny can decide what to do with his mech if it manages to survive and power back up.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Readingaccount posted:

Oh, I thought being shut down was penalized equally or worse than being prone

When a `Mech is shut down, it's considered immobile. This is a Very Bad Thing.

• Locked thread