Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Just don't buy the desktop version from the App Store. They just put out a note saying that they couldn't offer their discounted upgrade pricing through it. Typically when they release a whole new version existing users get it for half off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Question Mark Mound posted:

Can anyone recommend a good app for tracking a DVD/Bluray/game collection? Needs to at least have barcode scanning and the ability to flag whether that film/game has been lent out to someone. iCloud syncing between iPhone and iPad versions would be a big plus.

The only ones I've found so far are hideously overpriced so what they are and how ugly they look.
I use "My Movies by Blu-ray.com". I don't know about iCloud syncing since I only have one device, but I can say it does most of what you mentioned nicely.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Is there any reason why some of my iMessage conversations which originated on the phone don't appear on the desktop version of Messages? Is the other person not properly plugged into iCloud or what?

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Minidust posted:

I use "My Movies by Blu-ray.com". I don't know about iCloud syncing since I only have one device, but I can say it does most of what you mentioned nicely.

Anything, paid or otherwise that supports iPad?

How's http://appshopper.com/productivity/dvd-profiler-for-ios ?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Minidust posted:

Thanks, I'll look into this one.

I've never got why cataloging apps always seem to be years behind the curve of absolutely everything else on the App Store in terms of looks and usually pricing.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

1st AD posted:

Is there any reason why some of my iMessage conversations which originated on the phone don't appear on the desktop version of Messages? Is the other person not properly plugged into iCloud or what?

The first thing I can think of is that maybe they're messaging a different iMessage address. Check the Account preferences on both your phone iMessages and Messages.app to make sure all of them are active on the app. My secondary email address wasn't active on my Mac, for some reason. (I'm not sure why I have 2 email iMessage email accounts, for that matter.)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

1st AD posted:

Other than the stuff above, was the Mac on and signed in at the time? I'm not sure but there doesn't appear to be any (long term) cloud store for Messages, so once something gets delivered it's delivered to whatever could receive it at the time. If the Mac wasn't on or signed in (or using the same emails/numbers or whatever) at the time of a conversation in the past, it misses out on all that, I don't think there's a way to go back and retrieve them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

japtor posted:

Other than the stuff above, was the Mac on and signed in at the time? I'm not sure but there doesn't appear to be any (long term) cloud store for Messages, so once something gets delivered it's delivered to whatever could receive it at the time. If the Mac wasn't on or signed in (or using the same emails/numbers or whatever) at the time of a conversation in the past, it misses out on all that, I don't think there's a way to go back and retrieve them.

I have iMessages show up all the time when I wake up my macbook, even if it's been asleep for a day.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Wouldn't Delicious Library be the obvious choice for blu-ray cataloging? Or is that still not accessible on iPhone/iPad?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Evernote is also a half-option.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

TheJoker138 posted:

Wouldn't Delicious Library be the obvious choice for blu-ray cataloging? Or is that still not accessible on iPhone/iPad?

It's only a Mac App unless I'm missing something.

Edit: and it's $25.

Wheel! Of! 4chan!
Nov 28, 2007
The voice is white, erasing mine
What is the current best flashcard app? iCloud or Dropbox integration and being able to have multiple decks would be a plus. Google hasn't been too helpful...

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Don't know about "Best", but I've always been a proponent of Flashcards Deluxe whenever the topic is brought up. You can definitely do multiple decks, and I know it has Dropbox support, I thought it had iCloud as well but the Appshopper page doesn't mention it. Either way, I don't use syncing so I can't speak to that personally. Super customizable, spaced repetition, all that good stuff.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Hey, everyone, Kayak Pro is free right now. Supposedly includes over 100 terminal maps.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I'm looking for a way to stream stuff from my PC to my iPad. I don't care if it's a mplayer / vlc port using smb or DLNA transport (yuck) with transcoding but I WOULD like it functionally able to browse and play. Has anyone explored this? I've got a htpc for the living room but nothing portable.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Bhodi posted:

I'm looking for a way to stream stuff from my PC to my iPad. I don't care if it's a mplayer / vlc port using smb or DLNA transport (yuck) with transcoding but I WOULD like it functionally able to browse and play. Has anyone explored this? I've got a htpc for the living room but nothing portable.

iTunes shared library?

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

Radical Cut posted:

What is the current best flashcard app? iCloud or Dropbox integration and being able to have multiple decks would be a plus. Google hasn't been too helpful...

Flash card deluxe is my goto as well and I've tried about 4 or 5.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Bhodi posted:

Air Video, Video Stream, a bunch of others...

breaks
May 12, 2001

I've been using the original AirVideo since I got an iPad way back when. Great app, wasn't too much of a hassle to get going and I haven't had to touch it since getting it set up. Haven't tried the AirVideo HD version though.

albedoa
May 3, 2004

Anyone ever heard of an app that has badge notifications with no method of turning them off? In particular, the DCU (Digital Federal Credit Union) app is doing this, and the app doesn't appear in the notifications settings. The badge option also doesn't appear in the main settings menu (where there is an option to turn of sounds) or in the app itself. I don't understand.

goethe gear xx
Sep 17, 2004

faustoo

xzzy posted:

I have iMessages show up all the time when I wake up my macbook, even if it's been asleep for a day.

Do they appear in any logical order? I use iMessage on an iPhone, iPad and my iMac, and especially anything that wasn't first sent or received on the Mac routinely gets displayed completely out of order, if at all (everything appears most do the time though, just in a jumbled order)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

goethe gear xx posted:

Do they appear in any logical order?

I've never noticed any mis-ordering.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Netflix app has push notifications now, telling you when a show in your list gets a new season added and things like that. It's neat, but does anyone know if there's a way to view these notifications within the app itself? If you miss it in notification center, there's no way to find out what the app is trying to tell you. Like, you'll see a badge but there's no real way to follow up on it. Seems like a major oversight unless I'm missing something.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Oct 3, 2013

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Hey all, TC-11 is on sale today for $7.99, down from $29.99:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tc-11/id488577050?mt=8

https://vimeo.com/66472167

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

So, I really want to make use of the really nice Notification Center in IOS 7.

I would ideally like tweets being pushed to that I get them in notification center. Is this possible with an app?

I'd also like a scores app that will push sports scores to notification center. I have been using the Yahoo Sports app, which has the annoying tendency to tell me when a game is about to start, but not the rather more important matter of the scores.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Funso Banjo posted:

I would ideally like tweets being pushed to that I get them in notification center. Is this possible with an app?

I'd also like a scores app that will push sports scores to notification center. I have been using the Yahoo Sports app, which has the annoying tendency to tell me when a game is about to start, but not the rather more important matter of the scores.

The ESPN app will handle scores.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

Could someone please recommend a (good) free IRC client for me?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Can I stream content from my iphone to a Samsung Smart TV? I have an AppleTV and it's pretty cool to use the phone to control it and send content there, but if I can do it directly without the need to switch to AppleTV, much better...

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

uh zip zoom posted:

Could someone please recommend a (good) free IRC client for me?

Colloquy is probably worth 2 bucks. It's also got a way to forward through the desktop client to keep a more persistent-like connection.

But the only way to irc is to get a shell account and ssh in.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Funso Banjo posted:

I might be misunderstanding, but you can enable push notifications for individual Twitter users from their profiles in the default app.

Don Tacorleone posted:

Can I stream content from my iphone to a Samsung Smart TV? I have an AppleTV and it's pretty cool to use the phone to control it and send content there, but if I can do it directly without the need to switch to AppleTV, much better...
Not trying to snark, but I'm pretty sure whatever workaround you could come up with would be way more inconvenient than just switching your input. Not sure why you'd wanna ditch the slickness of Apple TV/Airplay when you've already got everything you need?

Minidust fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 3, 2013

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
quote not edit

Kailtor
Jun 7, 2005

fucking kailtor

Ask me about my lifetime subscription

:ughh: :ughh:
I like Palaver for IRC, and if you have a znc server setup you can have it push messages/mentions of your user name. It's very slick.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Minidust posted:

I might be misunderstanding, but you can enable push notifications for individual Twitter users from their profiles in the default app.
Not trying to snark, but I'm pretty sure whatever workaround you could come up with would be way more inconvenient than just switching your input. Not sure why you'd wanna ditch the slickness of Apple TV/Airplay when you've already got everything you need?

Well, I've been exploring the STV and it has Netflix+YouTube, which is most of what I really use the TV for (games occasionally). Other than the infrequent "Send to airplay" from my Mac/iphone/ipad, the AppleTV is not offering much that the STV doesn't.

If it's too much hassle, I'll just switch inputs.

edit: Also I ask because there's a Samsung app that acts as a TV controller from your iPhone via Wi-Fi, and it works relatively well. Maybe they support streaming too, I don't suppose they'd limit themselves to Android if they have a bunch of apps on the appstore.

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 3, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Minidust posted:

Because switching HDMI inputs is loving glacial on some televisions. The awesomeness of being able to instantly send any video on your phone to the TV is tarnished by staring at a black screen for 5-10 seconds while it reruns the HDCP negotiation. Takes even longer if the device you're swapping to is powered off at all.

That said, there's no other way to do it. It's just one of those first world problems we have to live with.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Don Tacorleone posted:

MoliPlayer and ZappoTV are both free apps that are able to stream to a Samsung smart TV using DLNA. I haven't really gotten into that much though because I'm lazy.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

Kailtor posted:

I like Palaver for IRC, and if you have a znc server setup you can have it push messages/mentions of your user name. It's very slick.

This, palaver and ZNC is great! Pretty quick to setup also.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

The Dave posted:

MoliPlayer and ZappoTV are both free apps that are able to stream to a Samsung smart TV using DLNA. I haven't really gotten into that much though because I'm lazy.

Thanks, checking it out later

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Funso Banjo posted:

I've only set up basketball and football in it, but it has a bunch of different switches for notifications, game start is only one of them.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

japtor posted:

Weird, I just disabled the iMessage accounts and re-enabled them and it works now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

xzzy posted:

Because switching HDMI inputs is loving glacial on some televisions. The awesomeness of being able to instantly send any video on your phone to the TV is tarnished by staring at a black screen for 5-10 seconds while it reruns the HDCP negotiation. Takes even longer if the device you're swapping to is powered off at all.

That said, there's no other way to do it. It's just one of those first world problems we have to live with.

firstworldproblems.txt

• Locked thread