Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Mazz posted:

You can't have a seam in the walls run longer then 4 tiles in 1 direction, I have a glass tile background that only works under specific conditions and I narrowed it down to this. So you can still do little holes, I just think he lowered the allowances.

So does this mean entirely glass houses and large glass windows are invalid? Not sure if I'm reading this right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Bloody Pom posted:

So does this mean entirely glass houses and large glass windows are invalid? Not sure if I'm reading this right.

I think he has a glass background with a hole in it. If the hole gets four tiles long the housing becomes invalid.

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

voltron lion force posted:

Have any of the world viewers been updated for the new version?

TEdit should work

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Bloody Pom posted:

No, solid glass still definitely works, and tiling should so long as the gaps stay under a certain size.

Here's an example from my 1.2 base-in-progress.

I tried running the wood border on the lower edge (no artifact behind the glass seam), but the long horizontal line would invalidate the housing. I assume any long horizontal like that will do the same regardless of material and is hard to notice in some of the wall materials. If a valid-looking house is invalid, it's almost always a problem with the walls.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 3, 2013

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
Yeah, the worst offenders of the background walls are definitely the parts that are behind your floors or ceilings; you can't see it but it still affects your habitation.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Hey, could everyone who found a spider nest tell me how close they were to the underworld? It seems to me they are all pretty close, I just need to confirm this for science. If you found one rather far please mention it.

Also, I think I've debunked my theory that the jungle dungeon only spawns after hardmode. Obvious in retrospect.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

First chest in the dungeon. Best world spawn ever.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
Do ports need to be forwarded to join a Terraria server? I have a friend who A: doesn't have access to his router and B: is the only person who can't join my server - even though nobody else I know had to forward a port to get on.

edit: he forwarded his ports, made a windows firewall exception and still can't join. What the gently caress

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 3, 2013

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

I found the goblin in some ice caves. Was it possible to find the Goblin outside of the dungeon before?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

apostateCourier posted:

I found the goblin in some ice caves. Was it possible to find the Goblin outside of the dungeon before?

Goblin is anywhere after defeating goblin army, mechanic is in the dungeon and the wizard is anywhere after hardmode is activated

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Can you guys help me check if people can connect to my server, a friend of mine can't, Thanks goons.
189.249.54.92 Port 7777

benzine fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 3, 2013

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

benzine posted:

Can you guys help me check if people can connect to my server, a friendo mine can't, Thanks goons.

What port?

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

It should be 7777

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

benzine posted:

It should be 7777

Then it wasn't working.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

7777 is a frequently blocked port.

MisterBishop
Sep 2, 2011

Nooby engineer

Dr. Fetus posted:

So do the different gem hooks have different reaches, or is the only thing different about them the color?

They do. The Amethyst one (most common I assume) is about the same length as the regular hook, but seems slightly slower. The Diamond one (most rare) is longer than the Ivy Whip, although it is definitely slower. The other gems are in between, I assume in the same order of power as with the staffs.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Started a new world with a new character, wandered over to a desert and discovered some stairs. I thought it was some kind of weird 1.2 dungeon so I almost didn't head down, but...

Hell yes.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
The first world I made in 1.2 doesn't have a Pyramid and doesn't seem to have any Ice Caves to explore :smith:

At least I got two meteors at the start and had a shitton of Jungle exploration down.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
The only Pyramid I saw in my world just had steps downwards into some large room with a gold chest which I think gave me a bottle of sandstorm, it went deeper but was just a dead end. I felt cheated.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Are any of these chlorophyte weapons worth bothering with, or should I set my sights elsewhere? I'm using a Gungnir for melee and a clockwork assault rifle and megashark with crystal bullets for ranged and it sure doesn't feel so powerful these days.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Meldonox posted:

Are any of these chlorophyte weapons worth bothering with, or should I set my sights elsewhere? I'm using a Gungnir for melee and a clockwork assault rifle and megashark with crystal bullets for ranged and it sure doesn't feel so powerful these days.

The swords seem to be better than Excalibur in one way, but worse in another, either stronger but slower or faster but weaker. I think the chlorophyte spear seems like a straight upgrade over Gugnir, but I can't confirm this. I know the chlorophyte armor is cool though, strictly better than hallowed and has a nifty crystal that glows faintly and shoots at enemies. Not the strongest attack, but it's good for hellivator digging.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Meldonox posted:

Hell yes!

The spear shoots a cloud of whatever. This cloud of whatever can hit enemies THROUGH WALLS.

You are welcome.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
I liked the chlorophyte greataxe, having not to pretend I'm playing Diablo 2 is always a plus on a weapon.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Are Skeletron's drops worth grinding out?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

And how do you summon Skeletron after the first time?

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

Are Skeletron's drops worth grinding out?

I might be wrong, but they are mostly cosmetic. It's up to you.

e: According to the wiki, there's a grappling hook like a not as good dual hook, and there's a spellbook that drops.

SirSamVimes posted:

And how do you summon Skeletron after the first time?

There's a clothier voodoo doll that might drop from skeletron or the dark casters, but rarely. It functions much like the guide voodoo doll.

Akett fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 3, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Akett posted:

He has a dual hook knockoff and a wand that shoots skulls but they're both something like 10% drops.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Akett posted:

The swords seem to be better than Excalibur in one way, but worse in another, either stronger but slower or faster but weaker.

Live through a pirate attack and I guarantee that you'll get something better than Excalibur in every way except for size and light-production. That plus a set of the chlorophyte armor turns you into a goddamn cuisinart.

EDIT: Too bad that melee is almost completely the worst idea in the Underground Jungle.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Akett posted:

e: According to the wiki, there's a grappling hook like a not as good dual hook, and there's a spellbook that drops.

There's a clothier voodoo doll that might drop from skeletron or the dark casters, but rarely. It functions much like the guide voodoo doll.

There should be voodoo dolls for every npc.

Jusupov fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Oct 3, 2013

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Dizz posted:

The only Pyramid I saw in my world just had steps downwards into some large room with a gold chest which I think gave me a bottle of sandstorm, it went deeper but was just a dead end. I felt cheated.

Maybe they all dead end after that one room with the chest? Mine went down quite a bit too, far enough that the underground music started playing, but then it just kinda ended into a random cave. I didn't check to see if there was anything special about the cave, though.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Someone explain ropes for me. Because I'm having a hard time getting a lot of use out of them. They seem to only go vertical, I'm having a hard time doing much with them because I can't get horizontal to get around overhangs, get up area where I can't reach the ceiling with one shot, etc. like I remember doing with the grappling hook.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

SlyFrog posted:

Someone explain ropes for me. Because I'm having a hard time getting a lot of use out of them. They seem to only go vertical, I'm having a hard time doing much with them because I can't get horizontal to get around overhangs, get up area where I can't reach the ceiling with one shot, etc. like I remember doing with the grappling hook.

Don't hold the mouse button when placing them.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So I bought this game when it first released but after about an hour of playing my friends said it wasn't for them and bailed on me. I haven't touched the game much since then so I really don't know too much about it. Anyone else new to the game who would like to play it with me? Would prefer goons who don't know much about it because I feel like discovering the stuff together is going to be a lot more fun than having someone just run me through most of the stuff. I have PMs so feel free to send me your Steam if you aren't comfortable putting it in the thread. Sorry if this isn't appropriate for the thread.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

SlyFrog posted:

Someone explain ropes for me. Because I'm having a hard time getting a lot of use out of them.

Well you can turn ten of them into a throwable coil, but you need to hit the bottom of an overhead block for them to work. You can place ropes horizontally, but it's slower to traverse ropes that way.

Soral
May 30, 2009

Just wanted to say that I was really enamoured with ropes until I killed skeletron and got a grappling hook made out of his hands and arms as a drop.

The spookiest grapple.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Nahxela posted:

The first world I made in 1.2 doesn't have a Pyramid and doesn't seem to have any Ice Caves to explore :smith:

I make worlds every now and then for tree farming since I got a project that eats a lot of that. I always run to both ends of the map and still haven't seen a pyramid after 10-15 worlds. :reject:

Gotta say that holy poo poo I'm loving this update. And it hit live just the right time as I was wallowing in boredom and considering to play some disgusting mmorpg for yet another month just to kill time.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Welp. Got an Arms dealer, Bought 1000 bullets, Gunned down Skeletor, Cthulu's eye, and 3 Brains. I think I am ready for Hard Mode.

Is there any way to reliably find floating islands? I have a shadow key which I think lets me open a chest but I can't find any.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Dizz posted:

Is there any way to reliably find floating islands? I have a shadow key which I think lets me open a chest but I can't find any.

Shadow key opens hell chests, floating island chests are unlocked in this update. Best way is with meteor ammo maybe, did those bounce back. Though I just build nerd poles and float down with an umbrella.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Dizz posted:

Welp. Got an Arms dealer, Bought 1000 bullets, Gunned down Skeletor, Cthulu's eye, and 3 Brains. I think I am ready for Hard Mode.

Gravitation potions, and zoom out your minimap. I used I think 5 or 6 of them to completely map the sky in my Large world and found 5 or 6 islands. One of them was REALLY high up though, almost to the top edge of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Yeah I had a gravity potion once but I forgot that hitting Escape didn't pause the game when I had to leave the computer suddenly and I died from fall damage. At least I have a giant M on my map now.

• Locked thread