Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language

Magna Kaser posted:

I'm a really bad white dude I guess cause finding girls specifically from the foreign place I am for a week that are open to screw and also speak my language is never a priority to me :smith:

Yeah eww can we not make posts like that?
There's nothing wrong with hooking up, but posting about analyzing your odds of success is kinda weird. I don't remember people ever going into the Boston or New York threads and being like "Hey guys where can I find some girls to pump and dump", what is it about Asia that makes people post creepy poo poo? :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Is it just Asia or is it a foreign country. Foreigners I've met in the US are all into banging as many Americans as they can.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Look, stop being jerks and line up your female friends for him to choose from. He already asked his friend he's coming with to do the same.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Let's not pretend like when we meet in person this isn't exactly the conversation we'll have anyway.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

It's not an Asia thing, it's a penishaver thing

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Red envelopes are tricky; it depends on your relation to the couple. You give more if you know them better, not so much if you are further away. It's complicated because you should give enough to "cover" your being there (and any other guests you may be taking with you), but not too much because it makes others look bad if they don't give the same amount or more. Similarly, it's the amount they'd be expected to give you if they go to your wedding. Additionally, there's the numbers thing where you must never give an amount with the number 4 in it, and 6s and 8s are good. Don't take it too far and give change though.

Taking this into account, if you go to a "normal" hotel or wedding house for the banquet, you're giving a red envelope to cover yourself only, and you don't know them that well, I'd suggest 1600/2000NT. If it's a nicer place, maybe 3000/3600NT. If it's a close friend, maybe jump to 6000/6600NT. If it's a cheap place or if you don't stay to eat/attend(like giving a red envelope to pay your respects and congratulate them only), scale downwards. If you give more, there would generally need to be some other social reason for it, like you're an older relative(ex: uncle/aunt), their boss, some person of high standing in a social club they attend or in general, etc.

E: look at this guy who didn't refresh the page to foreigner sexin talk that's inevitably going to summon pandemonium again

duckfarts fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Oct 2, 2013

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Your post is basically spot on. It's pretty basic, if the venue is nice give more. Nothing to with a 4. I would say the minimum to give would be 1600.

At the very least you need to cover the food you eat and alcohol you drink. Failing to do this means you're a dick.

Also don't think you'll get away with giving less, they write down your name and the amount you gave.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
It's traditional to give in multiples of 18.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Yeah, dodge 4s, 18* is good because it sounds like 易發, "get rich quick", 99*(久久) would also be good if you're gonna be paying hella dollars. But in all honesty, if you're a paleface you'll get away with just about any value.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Please tell me there's at least one Taiwanese/Chinese gangster movie that prefaces a wedding shootout by giving the bride and groom an envelope of 44,000NT or whatever.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

TetsuoTW posted:

18* is good because it sounds like 易發, "get rich quick", 99*(久久) would also be good if you're gonna be paying hella dollars.

Also chai.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
Glad the "pump and dump" nonsense got called out for what it was.

That said, I honestly want to respectfully date someone long term. But I live in Pingtung and I'm a lesbian. So what are my odds like? And how on earth do I approach asking a woman out without offending her? I don't know what cultural attitudes toward not-heterosexuality are around here and it makes me nervous because lawd have mercy I ain't tryin to be a hate crime.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

poetrywhore posted:

But I live in Pingtung...I don't know what cultural attitudes toward not-heterosexuality are around here and it makes me nervous because lawd have mercy I ain't tryin to be a hate crime.

To the very best of my knowledge Taiwan is actually pretty awesome about all thing LGBT (in a completely don't give a poo poo as opposed to sex positive sense), but, my knowledge is limited to Taipei and countryside folk are always a different breed. The place I drink at most evenings is run by two openly gay women and I don't think I've ever heard them speak to an issue of discrimination.

Fetlife has some Taiwan groups, it looks kinda creepy in the main but I'd wager you'd be able get better info and support on there. Use a 10minutemail to register and have a nose around first.

url fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 2, 2013

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

poetrywhore posted:

A type of securities fraud? :confused:

Has anyone rented a car in Taipei before? Last time I visited I spent so much on taxis, I could probably have spent less by renting for the few days I was there. Is parking as frustrating and expensive as in Hong Kong?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Thanks for the Kaoliang suggestion, I'll have to give it a try.

I don't have any details on the weddings yet, only the dates. Maybe I'll ask this weekend. 2000NT is like half what wedding parties usually cost where I am so should be easily doable, assuming everyone is OK with it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I can't imagine going to a Taiwanese wedding and not drinking Gaoliang.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

poetrywhore posted:

That said, I honestly want to respectfully date someone long term. But I live in Pingtung and I'm a lesbian. So what are my odds like? And how on earth do I approach asking a woman out without offending her? I don't know what cultural attitudes toward not-heterosexuality are around here and it makes me nervous because lawd have mercy I ain't tryin to be a hate crime.
I'd probably suggest Taipei, honestly.

Bloodnose posted:

Has anyone rented a car in Taipei before? Last time I visited I spent so much on taxis, I could probably have spent less by renting for the few days I was there. Is parking as frustrating and expensive as in Hong Kong?
I'd go with taxis or public transit(buses are ok if you can use Google Maps to route you); parking generally sucks, and you'd probably have to pay a bit for whatever carpark you end up using. I'd only really suggest renting a car if you really need to bounce between different locations pretty much constantly with stuff you need to take with you all the time, or if you're going to go to different cities too.

Atlas Hugged posted:

I can't imagine going to a Taiwanese wedding and not drinking Gaoliang.
If you mean Taiwanese wedding as "that kind that they block off a street for", then yes.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
https://www.facebook.com/groups/536549699725473/

This is something run by a friend of mine here in Kaohsiung. As far as I know there is quite a large community of LGBT in Kaohsiung.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I know this is going to sound stereotypical but anyplace where there are alot of university students you will find some kind of LGBT presence. There are alot of language exchange societies not exactly catering to that, but groups tend to congregate there too.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

poetrywhore posted:

I actually thought this was a Scottish only phrase

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

I know this is going to sound stereotypical but anyplace where there are alot of university students you will find some kind of LGBT presence.
I'm not sure exactly how well this holds up here, considering there are 162 tertiary education institutes of whatever stripe across Taiwan and the islands.

Also holy poo poo there are one hundred and sixty two universities (etc.) here!

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
I'm 31. I'd feel super creepy dating a frosher or even a senior for that matter.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

poetrywhore posted:

Gay pride is October 26th this year, come into Taipei for the weekend, paint yourself rainbow and go to the parade.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Spanish Matlock posted:

Gay pride is October 26th this year, come into Taipei for the weekend, paint yourself rainbow and go to the parade.

Why do I get this horrible sense of dread when I imagine an Asian country with emerging social awareness combining Halloween with Gay Pride?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Atlas Hugged posted:

Why do I get this horrible sense of dread when I imagine an Asian country with emerging social awareness combining Halloween with Gay Pride?

Because you've been on the internet or in an Asian country for more than half an hour?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

poetrywhore posted:

I'm 31. I'd feel super creepy dating a frosher or even a senior for that matter.

I was going to say that... Dating undergrad students is kind of odd when you have been working for a few years. Your best bet is to try online dating or just meeting more LGBT circles in your area. That way you won't get into awkward situations.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002

Spanish Matlock posted:

OK, that's a date. I even have a homegirl who will let me crash and maybe even come along as an ally. Thanks for the heads-up.

Edit: nm she'll be out of town. But I'll figure it out, I'm sure I have other friends in town.

poetrywhore fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Oct 3, 2013

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Are there no gay clubs outside of Taipei? I actually no nothing about non-Taipei Taiwan so this is a serious question. Here (Admittedly one of the most gay-friendly cities in East Asia as a whole) the culture is pretty much centered on the 80 bazillion clubs we have which range from typical crazy loud Asian night club to chill whiskey sipping bars for the older sane types.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

poetrywhore posted:

OK, that's a date. I even have a homegirl who will let me crash and maybe even come along as an ally. Thanks for the heads-up.

Edit: nm she'll be out of town. But I'll figure it out, I'm sure I have other friends in town.

Work permitting, I'm totally there, dressed as Zangief.

http://www.gaytaipei4u.com/events/gay-pride-taipei/

This is the event page? I'm not sure, it still links to last year's event page on facebook.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Check out the costumes on the event page. They're pretty sweet. You should get dressed up and go, I'm sure you'd twink right in.

Spanish Matlock fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Oct 3, 2013

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Spanish Matlock posted:

Kinda wanna see this - also - kinda don't.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

url posted:

Kinda wanna see this - also - kinda don't.
You know if you want to see him in his undies you probably just have to ask.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I'm jumping ship at Hess. One of the first places to contact me was Giraffe, and I have an interview there at Xinyi tomorrow. Anyone have any experience there, or are they just as cookie-cutter hit-or-miss as the other chains? I seem to recall they actually have a pretty low turnover.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002

Spanish Matlock posted:

Totally brought my handmade Wonder Woman costume over with me. See you there.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

please let me show you screenshots of all The Ladies swooning over me

url posted:

To the very best of my knowledge Taiwan is actually pretty awesome about all thing LGBT (in a completely don't give a poo poo as opposed to sex positive sense), but, my knowledge is limited to Taipei and countryside folk are always a different breed. The place I drink at most evenings is run by two openly gay women and I don't think I've ever heard them speak to an issue of discrimination.

I see so many openly gay female couples and very few openly gay male couples in Taichung. My friend tried to keep a tally one weekend afternoon in one of the more bustling parts of the city, and after an hour or so the number of lesbian couples was easily in the thirties. There is even a name for the butcher lesbians: "T girls". My private students who are in high school can go on for days about this phenomenon. I think, for the most part, the T girls are actually lesbians, but the sexuality of the girls they date is not always so clear. And generally speaking, the younger the lesbian couple, the higher the chance the more lipstick-y (if that is a pejorative term, sorry!) girl is not actually gay. A lot are in all-girl schools, upset at guys because of their ex-boyfriends, experimenting, unable to find a boyfriend, or whatever. In other words, it's a phase. I don't mean to suggest this is the norm, but it is definitely true in at least a fair number of high school and college-age cases.

In terms of how straight Taiwanese men view their gay counterparts, all I can say is that I am constantly disappointed. Every single one of my Taiwanese guy friends is outrageously homophobic. Some to the point of violence. And these are college-educated, city-dwelling businessmen and engineers. I would say there is a fair disparity between the way gay women and gay men are received and treated in Taiwan. No one has to worry about getting tied up and dragged behind a truck or beaten to death on the side of the road, but I do think gay women have an easier time than gay men. Especially in public. There is a lesbian book store near the art museum. Taipei may be a different case, but here in Taichung you will find T-girls and their girlfriends, or other lesbian couples, openly holding hands, hugging, and flirting. I honestly can't remember the last time I saw two gay guys doing that.

Just my observations.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I used to have a Taiwanese T friend, who could pass for a boy. She wore baggy jeans and hoodies and such. Once, we went to a club as a group, and I was dancing with her a bit. She was still dressed in baggy boy clothes, so I was getting a lot of looks from random Taiwanese dudes at the club. Guess they thought we were a gay couple or something. Whatevs.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
I actually thought gay pride was earlier in the year and I'd missed it.
I have a calendar conflict this year so there's no way I can attend. I'd honestly say of all the things to be angry about, civil rights/equality are still the highest on my agenda.

TetsuoTW posted:

You know if you want to see him in his undies you probably just have to ask.

Think train wreck, think goatse; you wanna rubber neck, you wanna gawp, you know you're gonna regret it - deeply - but(pun), sometimes you just can't help yourself but look.

Pandemonium posted:

Just my observations.

I don't wanna encourage a de-rail (having eaten a ban and a probation in the past couple of weeks).

"More butch" rather than "butcher". One adopts perceived masculine traits, the other will kill, skin, cut and provide meat to a community.
It's subtle I know :P (^^ another :10bux: I bet ^^)

To my knowledge the T of LGBT is fairly well defined. Butch is Butch, and T is T.

That said T-girls in my experience of the "common parlance" is a distinct shade apart in my mind such that it typically encompasses the shoop-a-woop/photoshop/futanari crowd, rather than the (enormously difficult) reality of those that are on the path of cross-dressing -> hormones -> surgery. To be blunt: Miley Cyrus with a shopped cock vs Chelsea Manning.

I'v actually not seen it here to the extent that you suggest, but, by-and-large I'd agree that for whatever reason (and there are a metric poo poo-load) as you say gay guys appear to suffer a more obvious (potent?) discrimination than gay girls. I don't want to defend that point in any way, but I hold it to be true. (violence versus ostracise would be my point if I had to)

I'm not making a judgement call on yourself, but drat, I really struggle to keep company with those that aspire to discriminatory violence - I just do.
I did say in the other post that country side folk are usually different and your post seems to support that (extremely sweeping) statement. It's a shame, but, exposure is the only answer in my mind.

Lastly, yeah - lipstick is considered to be a pejorative descriptor because you strip the person of their legitimacy in the claim that it's a phase/fad/temporary thing.

Next up - cisgender vs xisgender vs stupid normative heterobelughhhsch..

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

The T everyone's talking about isn't the T in LGBT. It's Taiwanese slang, short for "tomboy." The counterpart is 婆, po, which could reasonably be translated as "wife". It's essentially the Taiwanese equivalent of the old butch/bitch split.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I've definitely had young girl students who wanted to write stories from the perspective of "T". They wanted to be boyish girls who liked girls.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

TetsuoTW posted:

The T everyone's talking about isn't the T in LGBT. It's Taiwanese slang, short for "tomboy." The counterpart is 婆, po, which could reasonably be translated as "wife". It's essentially the Taiwanese equivalent of the old butch/bitch split.

Yep, T here is for Tomboy. They don't want to swap body parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

TetsuoTW posted:

I was wondering - it seemed horribly off-key otherwise - i really couldn't see the link.

ta for that.

p.s. Turn up to poker next weds you fucker - not seen you in an age!

Atlas Hugged posted:

They wanted to be boyish girls who liked girls.

who like boys to be girls, who do boys like they´re girls, who do girls like they´re boys, always should be someone you really love

url fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 3, 2013