Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
So does anyone want to create a new world with me and play 1.2 from scratch?

I can host, available 4-11ish pm mountain time. etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."
I give up. All I want is a sandstorm in a jar but I haven't found a single pyramid in any world's that I've made.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Azzents posted:

I give up. All I want is a sandstorm in a jar but I haven't found a single pyramid in any world's that I've made.

It's worth re-making worlds until you get one, honestly. There's a cloud in a jar that you can combine with the balloon like before. But now there's Blizzard and Sandstorm in a jar, both of which combine with a balloon for the same effect. But if you combine all three; Cloud/Blizzard/Sandstorm in a Balloon, you get quadruple jump and a CRAZY high jump.

I can't wait to find that ring of 7-seconds of lava immunity and whip up the lava-waders. Lava walking and immunity!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Lava waders are loving amazing.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Man, eclipses move naturally into bloodmoons, making for over 20 minutes of fighting. A bigger problem is that eclipse enemies are able to hurt your NPCs while you aren't there, so your only course of action is to fight, which is loving crazy. I had a hardmode world that had enough housing for all the non Santa NPCs pre-patch, all houses filled, and now I only have three living NPCs who are only alive due to quirks in geometry.

Reaper dropped a swag scythe though. Now I have to decide between True Excalibur and True Night's Edge. Glad for that blood moon, I got a bandage off a werewolf so I don't have to try to get it off an angler fish.

e: Well, True Night's Edge is a lot more powerful than True Excalibur, but it seems to have a pretty slow swing speed and has the need to click for each swing problem. Ranged spinning sword beam thing though, pretty cool.

Akett fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Oct 3, 2013

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

DelphiAegis posted:

It's worth re-making worlds until you get one, honestly. There's a cloud in a jar that you can combine with the balloon like before. But now there's Blizzard and Sandstorm in a jar, both of which combine with a balloon for the same effect. But if you combine all three; Cloud/Blizzard/Sandstorm in a Balloon, you get quadruple jump and a CRAZY high jump.

I can't wait to find that ring of 7-seconds of lava immunity and whip up the lava-waders. Lava walking and immunity!

That's the reason why I'm hunting them down. I just found one but it had the pharaoh getup. Could any Terarria old guards give me some tips on if it would be easier to farm small worlds or large worlds.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Azzents posted:

That's the reason why I'm hunting them down. I just found one but it had the pharaoh getup. Could any Terarria old guards give me some tips on if it would be easier to farm small worlds or large worlds.

Small all the way if you're by yourself. Easier to scout out and explore. When a map is smaller it doesn't necessarily have less of stuff. It's just crammed together a little bit tighter, so if a map is gonna have a pyramid it's going to be determined by the random chance when creating it and not the size.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Check this out:

I found this little room while I drank a Hunter Potion, there was a bat flying around in there. That's 22 gems on the walls and a different back wall.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Speaking of odd walls, around the lava area of the underground but above hell there were some bluish-purple background walls that made me think of obsidian. Nothing interesting in the rooms though, only lava.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Crimson Harvest posted:

Check this out:

I found this little room while I drank a Hunter Potion, there was a bat flying around in there. That's 22 gems on the walls and a different back wall.

The hell is that thing on your head?

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
So we got bored and extended the helevator that we built straight down from spawn all the way to the top of the map. We're thinking of building a space station up there out of like, iron or something and moving the NPCs. Awesome idea, or awesome (but oh god it'll end hilariously badly) idea?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Keiya posted:

So we got bored and extended the helevator that we built straight down from spawn all the way to the top of the map. We're thinking of building a space station up there out of like, iron or something and moving the NPCs. Awesome idea, or awesome (but oh god it'll end hilariously badly) idea?

Your npcs will be eaten by wyverns every blood moon. That's really the only downside.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

So, if I've already updated my game to 1.2, is there any way to revert so I can try out that cool-looking Dark Souls mod?

This forum post (http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/game-launcher-3-0.98965/page-5#post-2237127) says backing up a mod configuration is possible, but only if it was done, well, before the 1.2 update hit. Do I have any options here?

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Dizz posted:

Is there any way to reliably find floating islands? I have a shadow key which I think lets me open a chest but I can't find any.

If you find a straight, perfectly horizontal tunnel on the surface, it's usually a sign that there's a floating island above, apparently. Also as others have said, floating island chests are no longer locked.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Ugh, so there's a whole series of accessories that drop from various hardmode enemies and all they do is each one has a debuff that it prevents. They would all be useless if not for the fact that they can all be combined together and then with the obsidian shield.

The problem is that the chance of them dropping is loving %1 on each enemy that can drop one. This would be problem enough if not for some of the enemies being loving rare in and of themselves. There's one that only drops off cursed skulls, cursed hammers, or enchanted swords. There's one that according to the wiki only drops from corruptors, but I honestly doubt it only drops from them.

This is loving taking a while.

Akett fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Oct 3, 2013

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Infinity Gaia posted:

The hell is that thing on your head?

Viking helmet, from the undead Vikings in the ice caves. 4 defense.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

dis astranagant posted:

Your npcs will be eaten by wyverns every blood moon. That's really the only downside.

Sacrifices to the lunar gods, of course.

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

KataraniSword posted:

So I figured I'd start out a 1.2 world today and rush it into a servicable Small Hardmode world.

I spawned in the forest with two Queen Bees attacking me and the guide. :psypop: I have no idea how or why this happened, and I've never found any actual hives, but I'm drat lucky I started the world with my 1.12 endgame character; even then it was a clusterfuck. It was worth it in the end because now I have a BEE CAPE.

I think it was a glitch, but it's certainly set the tone for my adventures in 1.2 hardmode. loving hell, hardmode jungle and hardmode dungeon are psychotic.

I learned to respect the hardmode dungeon when 30 blocks into it I suddenly take 170 damage and die from a 'sniper bullet' while wearing a full set of hallowed armor and all Warding accessories. :stonk:

Crimbo Hardstyle
Apr 23, 2006

HISS
Has anyone managed to find a fire feather? I feel the need to have some radical flame wings, but I cannot for the life of me find the item I need for them.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful
Are the console exclusive items in the PC 1.2 patch?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Nope. Though there wasn't too much new in the console version. But the music there made it into the PC version.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
wasnt there a way to ask the guide dude what an item can be used to craft?

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand

Skwee posted:

Right click on him and choose crafting. Then put any item with 'Material' in its description into the box on the left hand side.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Skwee posted:

Talk to him, choose the "crafting" dialog option, then move the material to the empty square that appears below your inventory.

Also, for some reason if you exit the inventory, you drop the material, so be careful not to lose anything when you ask the guide.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
One thing I'd forgotten about this game is how loving cool the combat is. Invasions, blood moons etc are a freaking riot once you have some decent equipment and a nice variety of weapons. Looks pretty great too with all the lasers lighting up the surroundings and poo poo flying everywhere.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Rapacity posted:

One thing I'd forgotten about this game is how loving cool the combat is. Invasions, blood moons etc are a freaking riot once you have some decent equipment and a nice variety of weapons. Looks pretty great too with all the lasers lighting up the surroundings and poo poo flying everywhere.

First blood moon I got was dozens and dozens of werewolves, nothing else. Was a huge disappointment :(

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Our first blood moon of 1.2 was really boring. Barely noticed it at all, and nothing special happened. Just some zombies.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Blood Moons in a meteor crator are pretty insane. 7-8 Meteor heads coming in constantly. Even spamming vilethorn they just don't stop.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
Ah, thanks guys. I clicked on the crafting thing so many times trying to figure out how to do it but never noticed the box.

Was just spelunking in a cave and found a vein of topaz, just finished mining it, stepped to the right and a loving boulder falls on me. What the christ

I hope there was a pressure plate or something that triggered that poo poo, cuz if boulders could just fall on you out of nowhere in other difficulty modes than the easy one i am in that would kind of suck.

Skwee fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Oct 3, 2013

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

FirstPlayer posted:

I learned to respect the hardmode dungeon when 30 blocks into it I suddenly take 170 damage and die from a 'sniper bullet' while wearing a full set of hallowed armor and all Warding accessories. :stonk:

Snipers aren't all that bad! Sure, they do metric fucktons of damage, but they're slow doing it and don't cause any debuffs. loving rapid-fire sorcerors smacking me for 50+ a pop and darkness, on the other hand... :argh: And that's full Hallowed+Warding+Ironskin! I may actually need to actually invest in that Turtle Armor, or at least a good suit of Chlorophyte.

Never mind that mining Clorophyte Ore is an exercise in getting harassed until I explode like a meat balloon by goddamn moss hornets. On top of that, my only source of surface Hallow is right in the middle of some corruption so I have a bitch of a time farming Pixie Dust for Greater Healing Potions.

I don't think I'm very good at this game.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Skwee posted:

Ah, thanks guys. I clicked on the crafting thing so many times trying to figure out how to do it but never noticed the box.

Was just spelunking in a cave and found a vein of topaz, just finished mining it, stepped to the right and a loving boulder falls on me. What the christ

I hope there was a pressure plate or something that triggered that poo poo, cuz if boulders could just fall on you out of nowhere in other difficulty modes than the easy one i am in that would kind of suck.

Yes, it's the trap, underground has boulder and dart traps, on the bright side you can collect some wire, active blocks and pressure plates from that.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I really want some sort of ghost resistant block/brick. Fuckers kill my NPC cattle. :argh:

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

Terraria 2 announced, I guess http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/10/03/terraria-2-announced/

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

Oh niiice found a Extractinator a bit above hell level whilst setting up a large water/lava collision for obsidian farming. Proceeded to feed all the silt + slush I had to hand into it and got a load of random gems, ore and some cash from it. Pretty cool.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Skwee posted:

Yeah, it's a pressure plate trap. Survivable with more health and armor. Dart traps are also triggered by pressure plates.

As are explosive traps, which are... significantly less survivable.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Just started a new game, enjoying the fact that I can use my hermes boots effectively without steamrolling everything and increased stack limits, when I open up a chest and find a new item: the flare gun.

2 damage, but allows me to basically put sticky torches on walls. Awesome stuff.

So, any advice for someone just starting out again? Any new items I should search for immediately?

Also, as soon as I find enough pieces, I'm making a beehive house.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

I thought that was supposed to be Starbound :haw:

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I found something of note: The Shotgun and Chlorophyte Shotbow do indead kick lots of rear end, and even now I like to bust out the shotgun thanks to the satifying kaboom and huge knockback of it, but note -- you CANNOT use piercing or exploding bullets/arrows with them and get full damage. This threw me for a loop because with golden bullets the shotgun did great damage but with Meteor shot or Exploding bullets it only did one instance of damage to an enemy instead of say three or four. Big downer because one of the more convenient arrow sources is the Unholy Arrows, which pierces :(

nftyw fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 3, 2013

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

J.A.B.C. posted:

Just started a new game, enjoying the fact that I can use my hermes boots effectively without steamrolling everything and increased stack limits, when I open up a chest and find a new item: the flare gun.

2 damage, but allows me to basically put sticky torches on walls. Awesome stuff.

So, any advice for someone just starting out again? Any new items I should search for immediately?

Flare gun can light enemies on fire too and it works under water. So nice.

Stuff to look for when you start out: climbing boots/gloves for wall jumping, gems for gem hooks and a flare gun for awesome lighting (and setting low level enemies on fire, it can be pretty effective in the beginning).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jannu
Dec 24, 2012

Robzilla posted:

I thought that was supposed to be Starbound :haw:

Tiy is making Starbound. They were one of the other big developers for Terraria. Terraria 2 looks like it is Reds project. Looks like patch 1.2 was made to rekindle interest in the game for the announcement of his sequel.

• Locked thread