Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

percy da tomato
Jul 18, 2004

What, have they done to its eyes?!

For those who have them, how are the keyboards on the Latitude e7440s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Ah bien! Thanks, that helps. Still debating the 410 but if I do it's nice to know it's not too difficult.

Martytoof posted:

Are the red keyboard and speaker accents less garish looking in person? They're about the only thing putting me off a Y410p right now. I think I'm just going to get a T430s and call it a day :(

I wish they let you customize a laptop without those.

Don't get the T430s; it's more expensive than the Y410p and is objectively a worse laptop in a lot of ways (previous gen processor, previous gen graphics, lower resolution screen). If you dislike the keyboard backlighting (which I don't even notice) then you can disable it

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
This is a y410p with the backlight off:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

QuarkJets posted:

Don't get the T430s; it's more expensive than the Y410p and is objectively a worse laptop in a lot of ways (previous gen processor, previous gen graphics, lower resolution screen).

They're both 1366x768 or 1600x900 only

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

How customizable are touchpads nowadays? My 4 year old Sony laptop has this nifty function where you can scroll as if using the iPod's clickwheel. Put your finger on the right side of the touchpad and just draw circles. It's awesome and I'm wondering if the stuff on the market can be customized to work like that.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Yeah they can be customized that way. There's a bunch of options usually.

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

I prescribe a dirt bath and a diet of freshwater karp.
I'm getting pretty close to deciding between a Macbook Air and something like the ASUS ZENBOOK UX31E. The 13" size, thinness and SSD are really appealing for both. I guess it comes down to preference of OS, really, doesn't it? I've been told by friends "just get an ex-lease Dell or something", but something with a nice metal body and being capable of 720p/1080p video on the laptop or connected to an HDTV is really preferable. Doing that and being able to carry around something fairly small and light in a backpack for uni would be perfect. Is there anything out there I might be ignoring out of brand preference / being generally ignorant?

Doctor Albatross fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Oct 3, 2013

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The insane battery life on the 13" MBA shouldn't be overlooked.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
More info on that XPS 15:

http://i.dell.com/sites/doccontent/corporate/secure/en/Documents/dell-xps-15-brochure.pdf

A MPBr challenger appears. Strange you can only get the big battery with the SSD though.

And the XPS 13:

http://i.dell.com/sites/doccontent/corporate/secure/en/Documents/dell-xps-13-brochure.pdf

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Seamonster posted:

A MPBr challenger appears. Strange you can only get the big battery with the SSD though.

Yeah, Dell seems to like to bundle feature upgrades you want with ones you probably don't need.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, Dell Apple seems to like to bundle feature upgrades you want with ones you probably don't need.

Dell's way of doing things is certainly more obtuse.

"Large battery for SSD, small battery for 5200rpm poors :downs:"

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
The 12h battery life on the air is nuts. I bought one to try out, and with how much I'm in class I can get away with only charging it every couple of days.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.
What kind of battery life are people getting on the y410p when just surfing? Anyone here previously owned a u410? How was it?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

mugrim posted:

What kind of battery life are people getting on the y410p when just surfing? Anyone here previously owned a u410? How was it?

From my estimates, it looks like it should be around 4 hours. I just haven't really tried it though as I don't use my y410p for web browsing. It's purely a couch gaming machine for me.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Doctor Albatross posted:

I'm getting pretty close to deciding between a Macbook Air and something like the ASUS ZENBOOK UX31E. The 13" size, thinness and SSD are really appealing for both. I guess it comes down to preference of OS, really, doesn't it? I've been told by friends "just get an ex-lease Dell or something", but something with a nice metal body and being capable of 720p/1080p video on the laptop or connected to an HDTV is really preferable. Doing that and being able to carry around something fairly small and light in a backpack for uni would be perfect. Is there anything out there I might be ignoring out of brand preference / being generally ignorant?

I just got a MacBook Air 13 and I loving love it. The battery life and build quality is seriously incredible; I flew from Philadelphia to Los Angeles and used it the entire time and still had half battery left.

The only negative is the lovely TN screen, but I've been spoiled with IPS panels on my home and work computers. Hopefully next year they'll introduce a high resolution IPS panel for the Air...hopefully :ohdear:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Ugg, it looks like the x240 has touch buttons ala Apple instead of actual mouse buttons. Does anyone like these? (I know the answer is yes.) Why can't anyone make a laptop with a good keyboard and no bone-headed dealbreakers.

vvvvvv I don't use the touchpad and would prefer a laptop that didn't have one at all like the X60. I understand not accommodating that, but I feel like no physical buttons is a big loss. Maybe you can disable the touchpad moving the mouse pointer and only use it as buttons.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 3, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Jeffrey posted:

Ugg, it looks like the x240 has touch buttons ala Apple instead of actual mouse buttons. Does anyone like these? (I know the answer is yes.) Why can't anyone make a laptop with a good keyboard and no bone-headed dealbreakers.

Tap to click owns. More space for touchpad when you ditch the buttons.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
My wife needs a new, light laptop for work...nothing heavier than Powerpoint. Can anyone suggest something with decent build quality under $600 or so? She doesn't want a Mac or Chromebook (I have both, go figure).

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

mugrim posted:

Mine does about 3 and a half hours on web surfing at 70% brightness.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

This is kind of interesting. Bay Trail (atom i.e. x86-64) processor, Win 8.1 Pro, 1280x800 screen. Looks a lot like an 8" Samsung Tab or Samsung Note, except it's an entire computer. Price isn't half bad considering what it is.

$300

http://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/dell-venue-8-pro/4505-3126_7-35828030.html

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 4, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

Don't get the T430s; it's more expensive than the Y410p and is objectively a worse laptop in a lot of ways (previous gen processor, previous gen graphics, lower resolution screen). If you dislike the keyboard backlighting (which I don't even notice) then you can disable it

Unfortunately the battery life is going to be what kills the y410 for me :\

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

What's the difference between the ASUS BX31LA ZENBOOK Prime and the ASUS UX31LA ZENBOOK Prime? What's the consensus on the Zenbooks anyway? Are they sturdy enough to get carried around in a bag with books and stuff every day?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Martytoof posted:

The T430s isn't much better then - its barely 4h off the six cell for me.

If you want more you'd be better off with the fill thickness T430

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof
I'm looking at this laptop at the moment.

I basically don't know anything about laptops, (only what I've read from the OP here) and I'm wondering if this would be a solid buy or not. The only thing I can see wrong with it is the resolution seems tiny which I'm sure I could live with. What I want to know is if there's any glaring flaws I'm missing.

Mostly what I intend to use it for is schoolwork, but I also need it capable of playing Dota 2, I dont think I'll be doing anything much more extreme than running Dota along with a browser and skype. However, I like buying nice things so I like to go a fair bit over the minimum when it comes to things like this.

If there are others you have in mind to suggest my price range is 700~900 with a little wiggle room.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tanners posted:

I'm looking at this laptop at the moment.

I basically don't know anything about laptops, (only what I've read from the OP here) and I'm wondering if this would be a solid buy or not. The only thing I can see wrong with it is the resolution seems tiny which I'm sure I could live with. What I want to know is if there's any glaring flaws I'm missing.

Mostly what I intend to use it for is schoolwork, but I also need it capable of playing Dota 2, I dont think I'll be doing anything much more extreme than running Dota along with a browser and skype. However, I like buying nice things so I like to go a fair bit over the minimum when it comes to things like this.

If there are others you have in mind to suggest my price range is 700~900 with a little wiggle room.

I don't know much about laptops but there's a y410p model that's the exact same but has a 1600x900 14' screen, for $800.

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

Genocyber posted:

I don't know much about laptops but there's a y410p model that's the exact same but has a 1600x900 14' screen, for $800.

Well that's certainly interesting.

edit: it seems the model with the 1600x900 screen takes 3-4 weeks to ship which is a bit more than I'd like to wait.

Tanners fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 3, 2013

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You're going to loathe that 1366x768 screen in about six months when everyone is selling 1080p and up. 1366x768 in a 15" frame is a crime against humanity and is going to be a bear to lug around if you're planning on taking it anywhere further than the living room couch.

Make sure you're using the :siren: B&N link in the OP for a better price

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

Hadlock posted:

You're going to loathe that 1366x768 screen in about six months when everyone is selling 1080p and up. 1366x768 in a 15" frame is a crime against humanity and is going to be a bear to lug around if you're planning on taking it anywhere further than the living room couch.

I really cant wait 6 months so that sucks. Also what is a reasonable weight for carrying around in a backpack?

edit: Is it a lot harder to find laptops with built-in num-pads or is that commonly an option? I really cant live without a dedicated numpad.

Tanners fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 4, 2013

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe

Hadlock posted:

Important to note: The discounts change!

Current discount ends Oct 9th, and my guess is the discounts will probably increase savings into the holiday season. Right now, the discounts are less than ever. A BASIC T430 is $679, which is higher than any price for it listed in the OP.

If you can wait, that seems to be advisable for maximum savings. Depending on your config, this could mean $50, or this could mean $150.

Last discount I configured a T430 to be $700.50, that same config is now $787.20

Mursh
Jul 8, 2006
Canadian Passport
So I've definitely decided on a T430 I'm just waiting a few more days to finalize what I'd like for options and put aside the cash. The first is the keyboard. I'm not sure how it is in the US but I get the choice between a backlit keyboard or a non-backlit which is 40 bucks cheaper. Anyone with the backlit have any comments? I've never had a laptop with that option so not sure how much I really care about it.

Second is the wireless card. There's 4 choices. I've tried googling the 4 but I don't really see anything consistent. Any opinions? Why is the second one free if it's a better card?

Integrated WiFi Wireless LAN Adapters

ThinkPad 1x1 b/g/n
Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2200 (2x2 BGN) [$0.00]
Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 AGN [add $10.00]
Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 AGN [add $40.00]

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
General consensus is that upgrading the Wifi is almost mandatory. For the :10bux: (Centrino Advanced N) you get MUCH better antennae strength and speed. It is worth it.

The non-backlit as an option sounds like a totally cosmetic option that won't affect your keyboard experience if you're a touch-typer. If you will be using your laptop in dark and frequently re-adjust your fingers by sight, then it is helpful.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

dissss posted:

They're both 1366x768 or 1600x900 only

Oh, I didn't think that the T430s even had a 1600x900 option. It's still got worse hardware at a higher price tag than the Y410p, so it's still bad for other reasons

Martytoof posted:

That's fine, just so long as that isn't driving you to buy a T430s, as it has worse battery life (because it's non-Haswell and comes with Windows 7). Don't get the T430s.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

That's fine, just so long as that isn't driving you to buy a T430s, as it has worse battery life (because it's non-Haswell and comes with Windows 7). Don't get the T430s.

That's a bit of a stretch - they both have about the same (crappy) battery life.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

QuarkJets posted:

Oh, I didn't think that the T430s even had a 1600x900 option. It's still got worse hardware at a higher price tag than the Y410p, so it's still bad for other reasons
Sure, but it's also 1.5lbs lighter and built better. It's not a "bad" laptop by any means, you're just ignoring what it's intended uses are.

QuarkJets posted:

Err...not really. Win7 is seen as an advantage for a lot of people, and the battery life is roughly the same.

Really, it breaks down like this:

You buy the Y410p because you want the GF 755M in there and intend to use it as a vaguely "mobile" gaming platform at a reasonable price.
You buy the T430s because you want something thin and light, yet of high quality and durability, to take with you on the move.
You buy the T430 w/9 cell or slice battery because you want a tank that you can make last all day.
You wait until November and buy one of the T440 varients because you want a high quality machine that'll last all day without needing a slice battery.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

DrDork posted:

Sure, but it's also 1.5lbs lighter and built better. It's not a "bad" laptop by any means, you're just ignoring what it's intended uses are.

Err...not really. Win7 is seen as an advantage for a lot of people, and the battery life is roughly the same.

Really, it breaks down like this:

You buy the Y410p because you want the GF 755M in there and intend to use it as a vaguely "mobile" gaming platform at a reasonable price.
You buy the T430s because you want something thin and light, yet of high quality and durability, to take with you on the move.
You buy the T430 w/9 cell or slice battery because you want a tank that you can make last all day.
You wait until November and buy one of the T440 varients because you want a high quality machine that'll last all day without needing a slice battery.

Is there any hope of a 9 cell for the y410p? Also, for anyone who has installed the SSD and put the 1tb drive in the ultrabay, are you able to turn the 1tb on and off, and do you notice any significant battery gains going full SSD?

It is very odd to me that the y410 doesn't have a 9 cell battery option. Obviously you don't buy the thing to get a light laptop so anyone who buys it knows they're lugging it around, some extra weight for an increase in battery life is a fair trade off to me.

The one tendency I hate in ultrabooks is the internal battery. I like the ability to get a new battery 2 years later when the current one's charge doesn't hold any more, or to get an expanded battery for longer life.

mugrim fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 4, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DrDork posted:

He's talking about the battery life. 8 is better than 7.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Doctor Albatross posted:

I was unimpressed by my Zenbook, but then again it did have the habit of getting hit by things. Retina displays rule though even with the hit and miss and miss support of them on Windows.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah, I'm not entirely set on a the 430S. I'm probably not going to go down that road. I just got a job as an IT contractor and I'll be going on client sites for like 5-7 hours a day, 5 days a week, so I need something that'll get me through the day and it doesn't sound like either of my two choices will be what I'm looking for.

I'd look at other brands but quite frankly the job I just got is for a lenovo partner so we get good discounts on lenovo gear. They will buy me up to a $500 laptop at their expense. I can pay whatever I want over $500 out of pocket, but with the lenovo price breaks they get that amounts to a free $1000 lenovo laptop so I'm probably going to stick with this brand.

Since it'll be for work first and I already have a gaming "rig" at home I decided to not worry about the Y410p. I'd rather whatever I get look a little more businesslike (no offense to anyone who has a 410 or anything, I just don't think they look all that great) and smaller. Not to mention the battery life.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

I have yet to see any evidence of that in the real world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Aphrodite posted:

He listed Windows 7 as a negative, so I do believe that's what he was talking about. Neither laptop get anywhere near 7 or 8 hours doing anything more than sitting absolutely idle with wifi off and the screen turned to minimum brightness--real world you're talking 4hrs at best. Even a T430 with 9-cell only gets ~6hrs of actual use.

Really, Martytoof, unless you need it RIGHT NOW, it sounds like you would be very well served by waiting a few weeks for the T440 series to drop. While I don't believe for a minute that you can get 17 hours of life out of one of them without some pretty funky metrics or fine print (*note, includes a battery swap!), 7+ hours shouldn't be a problem at all, especially with a 6-cell battery.

e; Other than that, as said, a T430 with extended battery options will see you through the day, albeit it won't be as thin and light as you might prefer. Still, the 9-cell battery usually gets me roughly 6 hours of web-browsing and other light duty, and weighs ~5.2lbs, or about 1/3lbs less than the Y410, and 1/2lbs more than a T430s. Bump up to the slice battery and you add 1.4lbs, but also add another ~6 hours of life, so ~6.4lbs for 9 hours or 6.7lbs for 12 hours. And of course there's the terrible screen, but no avoiding that, sadly.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 4, 2013