Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Azran posted:

First Monkeigh. Now this. :psyduck:

I thought the whole "Hey, the Malvinas have oil" thing popped up a few years later. "Signals of War" mentions the Brits considered it a backwater before the war - this book was co-authored by Lawrence Freedman. :v:

Think of it more as an internal war between ordos of the Inquisition - the Xenos faction is trying to cosolidate power while the Malleus support is growing every stronger. So what do you do? Fight a vicious and successful war against the Xenos, thus convincing people who would otherwise have backed the Malleus faction that your iron jack-booted march towards turning Britain into a wasteland by magnifying the gap between rich and poor a thousandfold and producing mass unemployment, oh, sorry, the Imperium into an even worse ultra-fascist empire is a good thing.

Gotcha! (With a picture of a destroyed eldar craftworld) Focus on the problems we have with these filthy Xenos! Ignore the multitude of daemons we're unleashing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

Cream_Filling posted:

I believe you mean "Warboss Mag Uruk Thraka".

I haven't had my mind blown like this since I signed up for the forums and saw the Fedex Arrow thing.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Well, gently caress. Now I have to stop playing Orks.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Bunnyofdoom I think you mean play Orks more.

The Black Library: Mag Uruk Thraka headsplosion zone.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

VanSandman posted:

Nazdreg Ug Urdgrub is Blair? Do I have that right?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Rampant Murdork is widely acknowledged to be the biggest bastard of an Ork alive.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cream_Filling posted:

I believe you mean "Warboss Mag Uruk Thraka".
I totally should have remembered this. It made my point far more eloquently.

Ninja edit: thanks for the avatar mystery goon! <3 Maggie (don't tell my dad, he'll kill me).

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Arquinsiel posted:

The thing about war is that it's not *always* a flat out "bad thing". Nobody blames Poland for going to war against Germany and Russia for example. Why is that relevant? Historical context of the authors.

40k started to take shape from comics published in the years following the British Empire's glorious defeat of an enemy that attacked them.... on the other side of the world, in a tiny little dot of an island. The setting is irrevocably attached to starting huge "defensive" wars over insults thrown from unimaginable distances. There's a strong irony implied here, in that a defensive war can be a major world power beating up a relatively small nation and calling it "defensive", in the same way that the Imperium trashes entire planets of people who wear the wrong hat and calls it "for the good of Mankind".
I see the Imperium as more closely resembling the fall of the Roman Empire. Rebellions everywhere, poor management, class warfare, etc. Not to mention the slowness of communications and travel makes the Imperium resemble an ancient empire.

Fideles
Sep 17, 2013

VanSandman posted:

So who else has been immortalised in GW character names?

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Fideles posted:

Sly Marbo wasn't exactly a subtle homage to Rambo.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Fideles posted:

Well, maybe you're familiar with the movie Apocalypse Now, based on Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. Michael Sheen's character is sent into the jungle to find the psychotic, rogue colonel Kurtz.

In 40K, the assassin M'Shen is sent to kill Konrad Curze.

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.

Donnerberg posted:

I found this kind of intertextuality really jarring, personally, when reading the Nightlords Trilogy.

Whereas 80s and 90s WH40K bathed in these kinds of goofy, grotesque intertextual winks and nods, it seems really out of place in the more current literature where the authors are attempting to craft a more sombre Universe.

Reading the assassination sequence (think it's the first book?) was like a gigantic slap in the face to my suspension of disbelief.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Aries posted:

I found this kind of intertextuality really jarring, personally, when reading the Nightlords Trilogy.

Whereas 80s and 90s WH40K bathed in these kinds of goofy, grotesque intertextual winks and nods, it seems really out of place in the more current literature where the authors are attempting to craft a more sombre Universe.

Reading the assassination sequence (think it's the first book?) was like a gigantic slap in the face to my suspension of disbelief.

You're reading 40k books, gently caress your suspension of disbelief. Screaming Face Castle was great.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Aries posted:

Counter-Point. Blackadder 40k is awesome.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Aries posted:

Why do you think Curze is so miserable all the time? He knows his entire life is a bad joke.

I know there's been a gradual shift in tone over the years, but I actually like the inherently silly universe being played so straight.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Donnerberg posted:

Well, maybe you're familiar with the movie Apocalypse Now, based on Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. Michael Sheen's character is sent into the jungle to find the psychotic, rogue colonel Kurtz.

I knew about the Curze reference, but somehow didn't pick up on M'Shen.

Why is pulpy space pew pew trash making me feel dumb?!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Counter-Point. Blackadder 40k is awesome.

I would watch the ever-loving gently caress out of this show

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Dog_Meat posted:

Why is pulpy space pew pew trash making me feel dumb?!
You're expecting it to be taking itself seriously and thus be lacking in self-awareness?

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.

Dog_Meat posted:

I would watch the ever-loving gently caress out of this show

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4648258/1/Blackadder-40K-Tales-from-the-Black-Millennium

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE
[quote="Cream_Filling" post=""4200973"] I know there's been a gradual shift in tone over the years, but I actually like the inherently silly universe being played so straight.
[/quote]

And the best authors tend to play that up in amazing ways. In ADB's short follow-up to Helsreach, I was enjoying Grimaldus' gripping and serious recollection of rooting out a renegade cult and fighting a daemon just perfectly on its own, well before I realized that the explosive that ended the battle was literally the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

One Legged Cat posted:

And the best authors tend to play that up in amazing ways. In ADB's short follow-up to Helsreach, I was enjoying Grimaldus' gripping and serious recollection of rooting out a renegade cult and fighting a daemon just perfectly on its own, well before I realized that the explosive that ended the battle was literally the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch.

That's actually not ADB's thing, the Black Templars have had the 'Holy Orb of Antioch' in the tabletop rules since 4th Edition.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Mechafunkzilla posted:

That's actually not ADB's thing, the Black Templars have had the 'Holy Orb of Antioch' in the tabletop rules since 4th Edition.

Well, it's not his invention, but ADB did choose to include it.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
On the other hand, ADB chose not to include dreadknights because gently caress that baby carrier power loader.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Thousands Sons is fantastic. McNeill does a great job show how heavily entrenched warpcraft and warp related features like the tutalaries are to the Thousand Sons (and that it seems natural and benign to them) but how completely corrupted they are and don't even know it yet. During their club meetings McNeill makes a point to emphasize that while in a region of limited connection to the Warp they're forced to communicate verbally, rather then psychically like they normally do.

His description of the latent psyker seeing Magnus as some horrifically powerful and undeniably 'wrong' entity constantly shifting forms is really good. You learn pretty early on that all the Thousand Sons consider their Primarch to be essentially a massive warp being just trapped inside a bag of flesh.

For an immortal demi-god trying to raise up humanity but making sure that absolutely no one messes with the warp having a son be 99% warp energy seems like a pretty terrible idea.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

Fideles posted:

Well, there's always Obiwan Sherlock Clousseau

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

And his sidekicks are Chirugeon Watson, Arbitrator Dreyfus and Inquisitor Anakin (who is armed with a lightsaber force weapon). :allears:

Arquinsiel posted:

(don't tell my dad, he'll kill me).

Too late.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

my dad posted:

(who is armed with a lightsaber force weapon).

So is Eisenhorn at the start of the series. His force sword is a bladeless weapon, just a 20cm hilt to project the usual force sword field without the usual blade.

The Space Wolf is actually decent. Ragnar is a decent character with a lively internal dialogue who gets into interesting situations. Book 4, Wolfblade, is a good ripoff of dune that could have stood to be a lot longer and more focused on inter-House rivalries between the Navigators. And more Holy Terra. The prose is solid if unexceptional, and I actually found myself wanting more along the way, especially in book 4.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1120075&amp;_requestid=278519
This is a mage from the "Djed'hi" order, and one of his powers was summoning a blue sword of ultra-death. The whole thing was rather blatant.

my dad posted:

Too late.
:aaaaa: Welp.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

pentyne posted:

Thousands Sons is fantastic. McNeill does a great job show how heavily entrenched warpcraft and warp related features like the tutalaries are to the Thousand Sons (and that it seems natural and benign to them) but how completely corrupted they are and don't even know it yet. During their club meetings McNeill makes a point to emphasize that while in a region of limited connection to the Warp they're forced to communicate verbally, rather then psychically like they normally do.

His description of the latent psyker seeing Magnus as some horrifically powerful and undeniably 'wrong' entity constantly shifting forms is really good. You learn pretty early on that all the Thousand Sons consider their Primarch to be essentially a massive warp being just trapped inside a bag of flesh.

For an immortal demi-god trying to raise up humanity but making sure that absolutely no one messes with the warp having a son be 99% warp energy seems like a pretty terrible idea.
Have you read the The First Heretic? It's a good supplement to this idea, and a supplement to that bit where Horus has a vision of his birth / the Emperor's lab with baby primarchs (I think in False Gods?).

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Fideles posted:

Lion El'Jonson is clearly a riff on the poet.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Is there any literature on the Unification Wars and Thunder Warriors? Or is it all just from random pieces of fluff? Those two topics have always interested me, and I've heard the Thunder Warriors were even bigger and nastier than Space Marines.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Waroduce posted:

Is there any literature on the Unification Wars and Thunder Warriors? Or is it all just from random pieces of fluff? Those two topics have always interested me, and I've heard the Thunder Warriors were even bigger and nastier than Space Marines.

The Outcast Dead touches on them somewhat... I've heard that it's got a glaring continuity flaw, though.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
The Outcast Dead was about a Thunder Warrior. They were proto-Space Marines, and might be a close match for them in combat, but they aren't as long lived. Because of the genetic enhancements, they burn out pretty quickly.

You want to talk about the Emperor being a dick? After the Unification Wars, he had the Thunder Warriors culled because they didn't fit his image of a "perfect warrior." They did their job, and he turned on them - that's way worse than being a bad dad.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Isn't there some stupid story with a Thunder Warrior absolutely stomping a custodies or something like that?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Neurosis posted:

Isn't there some stupid story with a Thunder Warrior absolutely stomping a custodies or something like that?

My understanding was Thunder Warrior > Custode > Space Marine by a significant margin.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Thunder Warriors operated seemingly by the principle of live hard, die fast. Culling them was almost entirely unnecessary since they died of old age pretty quick. Least that's what I remember from The Outcast Dead.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

berzerkmonkey posted:

You want to talk about the Emperor being a dick? After the Unification Wars, he had the Thunder Warriors culled because they didn't fit his image of a "perfect warrior." They did their job, and he turned on them - that's way worse than being a bad dad.
If he didn't see worth in the Thunder Warriors, what about the regular humans who comprise the bulk of his armies?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

VanSandman posted:

Thunder Warriors operated seemingly by the principle of live hard, die fast. Culling them was almost entirely unnecessary since they died of old age pretty quick. Least that's what I remember from The Outcast Dead.

Yeah all we have to go on is the probably self-serving account of one drugged out and sick guy who sets himself up as a warlord in what's honestly a pretty bad book. It doesn't even seem like they live shorter lives than your average normal human.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Waroduce posted:

The Last Church takes place near the end of the Unification Wars. A character recalls fighting a battle against Thunder Warriors. It's available on the internet in places, do a google search.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Cream_Filling posted:

Yeah all we have to go on is the probably self-serving account of one drugged out and sick guy who sets himself up as a warlord in what's honestly a pretty bad book. It doesn't even seem like they live shorter lives than your average normal human.

Yeah, but wasn't he stealing and growing body parts to replace his failing bits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Waroduce posted:

The narrator in Prospero burns provides some first-hand accounts of battles and social issues during and immediately after the Unification Wars. No Thunder Warriors, but you get pre-crusade Space Marines in it.