Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
He's asking $300 over blue book but that isn't the end of the world if his aftermarket parts are solid, he says new tires and pads too so that's a + I'd be worried about the mileage though, the MS MX-5 is a performance model and as such people are probably not going to baby a car like that. It'd be worth a look if that's what you're interested in and have your favorite friendly and not-shady neighborhood mechanic take a look at it, my best guess is if he/she isn't willing to let you get a pre-purchase inspection there's probably something wrong with the car.

I'm also always weary of stuff being sold by people who can't use syntax, but that's just me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

n8r posted:

Wow that's a great price. I live literally across the country but it'd be a fun drive. Post pics!

http://tlar.crappyfiles.com/miata1.jpg
http://tlar.crappyfiles.com/miata2.jpg
http://tlar.crappyfiles.com/miata3.jpg
http://tlar.crappyfiles.com/miata4.jpg
http://tlar.crappyfiles.com/miata5.jpg
http://tlar.crappyfiles.com/miata6.jpg
http://tlar.crappyfiles.com/miata7.jpg
http://tlar.crappyfiles.com/miata8.jpg
http://tlar.crappyfiles.com/miata9.jpg

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Just picked up a 2010 Grand touring PRHT with Suspension package. Anything i should know and what are the first mods/tweaks i should do :getin:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Just picked up a 2010 Grand touring PRHT with Suspension package. Anything i should know and what are the first mods/tweaks i should do :getin:

All I know about the PRHT is that there's no roll bar option available for them.

As for mods what kind of tires are on this thing?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I'm hoping these pictures will encourage any Miata owner to get a quality roll bar. This was a Boss Frog and it held up amazingly well- we don't think the car was ever on it directly, but it helped regardless. I'll let my brother fill in the details.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

the spyder posted:

I'm hoping these pictures will encourage any Miata owner to get a quality roll bar. This was a Boss Frog and it held up amazingly well- we don't think the car was ever on it directly, but it helped regardless. I'll let my brother fill in the details.

I'm glad you guys are ok.

Is that left rear tail light unbroken by chance

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander

MattD1zzl3 posted:

You can comfortably got up to 235's on the stock rims, some have been known to put 255's on the stock rims (AutoX only though). Ford Mustang GT 05+ wheels fit on NC1/NC2 and add quite a bit of rubbery without rubbing.
PRHT means no roll-bar really, sorry buddy.
Suspension package is great because that nets you the LSD, the shocks and springs are really just extra.
Speaking of LSDs the FoMoCo synthetic stuff is probably your goto when you change that every 35k, I've heard Royal Purple too but most people say go with Ford's juice.
Some sway bars are a good mod to increase stiffness, depends on how you want to use the car though since with the suspension package it's already a rougher-than-normal ride.

Great interior space maximizing ideas (NC1, don't know how it applies to the NC2) - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3089622/2008-mazda-miata-mx-5/page-5/

Also Goodwin Racing - http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda/MX5-Performance-Parts.html

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
This. Forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kp1kuo6xkbE

Phone fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 30, 2013

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

PRHT means no roll-bar really, sorry buddy.

I really liked being able to lock the car without worrying about the top being slashed (its parked on the street). is there not a genuine double hoop under those plastic covers pretending to be a roll bar?

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

Suspension package is great because that nets you the LSD, the shocks and springs are really just extra.

I heard REALLY bad things about the suspension from the 06-09 cars, and saw videos with what looked like lincoln continental levels of body roll (it looked like it just slammed from one bump stop to another with little damping). By 2010 had they fixed this for the most part? Especially with the bilstein package? It doesnt seem bad at all, it just feels a LOT heavier than it is, coming from my 96 NA lowered with coilovers and sways.i wouldnt mind a hard ride, and that road connection is the biggest thing missing with the new car. It feels like a BMW 3 series in a roadster costume.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 30, 2013

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've been noticing a funny exhaust smell when I have the top down, smells like a rich sooty smell kinda like when an old gas motor diesels. I was having issues with my coil packs before and probably dumped a good amount of fuel into the cat, is the cat probably shot?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I really liked being able to lock the car without worrying about the top being slashed (its parked on the street). is there not a genuine double hoop under those plastic covers pretending to be a roll bar?

I heard REALLY bad things about the suspension from the 06-09 cars, and saw videos with what looked like lincoln continental levels of body roll (it looked like it just slammed from one bump stop to another with little damping). By 2010 had they fixed this for the most part? Especially with the bilstein package? It doesnt seem bad at all, it just feels a LOT heavier than it is, coming from my 96 NA lowered with coilovers and sways.i wouldnt mind a hard ride, and that road connection is the biggest thing missing with the new car. It feels like a BMW 3 series in a roadster costume.

The NC does have hoops, but unless if you're under like 5'1" your head will be over it.

As for the factory suspension, the Bilsteins are actually worse than the non-branded shocks; however, a swap to Koni Sports or a revalve on the Bilsteins will make it handle quite well. The NC handles like an NA, but with something that resembles torque. The cars were designed to ride on the bumpstops on the soft as pillows springs.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

This is the greatest thing ever and now I want a Miata again.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Doing my best to contain my laughter while at work, but yes. This forever.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

Oh my god. Just watched a half dozen of this guy's videos after that one. They're wonderful. I didn't know Mr. Plinkett reviewed cars.

lumbergill
Sep 5, 2012
Ask me about pro wrestling on roller skates!
Following on from MattD1zzl3 and the spyder about roll bars:

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new PRHT. I want the PRHT because I find the soft top mechanism awkward (poor shoulder mobility), for added security, and because it seems more durable. I hadn't thought about roll bars, and to the extent that I thought about it at all, I figured the hard top would be safer (at least with the top up). But now y'all have got me scared. Is not getting soft top + roll bar a dumb choice, safety wise?

I'm not planning on doing any track driving.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Rolling a car with such a low center of gravity during normal, or even spirited street driving is unlikely, unless you drive like an absolute rear end and endanger everyone life on the regular. I dont worry about it and you shouldnt either. My track NA that is driven like an rear end in the right location (usually PBIR or Sebring) however, has a fuckoff cage and 5 point setup becuase i could very well wind up going sideways in the grass at 80mph.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 1, 2013

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

lumbergill posted:

Is not getting soft top + roll bar a dumb choice, safety wise?
The large majority of miatas are soft tops without roll bars.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Basically if you drive like a normal human being you don't need a roll bar.

However if you like hooning on twisty wet roads covered with leaves then it's probably a good idea :v:

lumbergill
Sep 5, 2012
Ask me about pro wrestling on roller skates!
Thanks for the reassurance. Looking forward to getting the car!

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Yeah the PRHT is a bonus for that kind of stuff, the double hoops are really just a cautionary tale to be honest, here's a picture of the stock hoops sitting in front of a Goodwin Racing single bar;

If you're not planning on tracking it though I wouldn't be terribly concerned just don't drive like a dong and you'll be fine.

The suspension bits like what have already been said are pretty un-inspired, which is surprising since they are Bilstiens, if you go with something like the Eibach Pro-Plus spring/ARB kit and slap some Koni Yellows on there you're light years ahead of stock at that point. You can always go big or go home with a full KW Coilover setup though but from your NA adventures it seems like you know what to do in this department. For reference my '08 GT-SE (suspension package as well) feels solidly planted when getting crazy but with just a little more body roll then I'd like. Since I'm not tracking it or AutoXing it for the foreseeable future I just don't mind it.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Someone sell me a NB2 with an LSD and ABS for cheap.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

FatCow posted:

Someone sell me a NB2 with an LSD and ABS for cheap.

Define cheap.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Yea, im going to be paying this thing off for the next few years. Im not sure "cheap" could be used to describe it. Also, you can get a NB2 without ABS? :stare:. Just for fun, heres a photo of my current stable. Between them, i can now almost carry as many people as a Toyota Corolla!

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 2, 2013

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

GD_American posted:

Define cheap.

Under 5k depending on mechanical condition. I care slightly about the exterior (except rust) and absolutely 0 about the interior since it ia getting a cage.

ABS was an option on all NBs except the MSM. Wasn't even included in any of the packages as far as I can tell.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Chiming in on the rollbar chat; you're effectively raising the center of gravity by installing one and risk having steel tubing slamming into the back of your skull if you get rear ended on the street.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Yea, im going to be paying this thing off for the next few years. Im not sure "cheap" could be used to describe it. Also, you can get a NB2 without ABS? :stare:. Just for fun, heres a photo of my current stable. Between them, i can now almost carry as many people as a Toyota Corolla!

poo poo, with two miatas you car carry 6-8 people. Clearly you just dont want to band enough.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
When you sit in the car, you're effectively raising the center of gravity. Makes you think...

Hitting your head on the rollbar is a concern though, but I think most of the risk is in day-to-day driving and being rear ended or something similar to where you slam your noggin into a steel tube at a nonzero rate of acceleration.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Hitting your head is a valid concern but isnt that the reason you put padding on the bar when you dont have a helmet on. It's not the same but it's better than skull on bare steel pipe

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Speaking of which - does anyone else feel like the metal tube supporting the NC soft top is a hazard? I've always felt like I'm one bad bump away from hitting my head, going unconscious and having a fatal accident.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

Nodoze posted:

Hitting your head is a valid concern but isnt that the reason you put padding on the bar when you dont have a helmet on. It's not the same but it's better than skull on bare steel pipe

The padding is to stop the bar from cracking your helmet, not your skull.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Nodoze posted:

I put a bucket seat in, my head can't hit the bar as the seat is in the way. Otherwise I'd be a little nervous.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Hard dog "sport" bars are geared more for the street and sit a bit back farther from your head. I would not be daily driving a Miata with a Hard Core rollbar however, I've driven Miatas with Hard Core bars and it made me uncomfortable how close they were to my head.

Rollbars also stiffen up the chassis, so there's that benefit too. How much it actually helps though depends on who you ask.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I think the 99-2004 seats are taller and unless you recline them all the way back will keep your head from denting the roll bar. I am not certain on the year they became taller. Roll bars are too heavy anyway so why would you add one. Buy a Volvo if you don't want to die.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Hmm a rollbar weighs less than I thought so sitting in the car does raise the center of gravity more...

There is dual durometer padding available but I don't know how much safer it is for your bare noggin. But I do agree that a rollbar should be installed only if you spend time on the track or enjoy performance driving.

Any recommendations for a shifter bushing/boot kit for a NA?

Bulk Vanderhuge fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 3, 2013

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Rosenthal.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams

I just bought cheap wheels and suspension for my (4th) miata.
If anyone is considering Megan coilovers, so far I'd recommend them over the Tein basic ones I had before.
They're matched with a Racing Beat front sway bar and the car feels pretty neutral, I wonder how they'll hold up to track days.

Chriskory fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 4, 2013

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I normally only like 6ULs on Miatas, but that wheel and tire combination looks great.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Somebody slashed through my NB1's top to steal the rear-view mirror and nothing else. I have comprehensive, but with a deductible of $500. This top was a $260 plastic window cheapo vinyl cheapo, but I JUST put it on 2 months ago. I really don't want to do the labor again, and am considering just paying the deductible and having a shop do it.

Has anyone dealt with a comprehensive claim to replace a vandalized top? What top would be put on if I went through insurance and a major shop? Also, what can I do until then to patch it? It stays uncovered in my apartment parking lot so I'm about to go duct tape it up for tonight.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I had Allstate when my old '99 got the top slashed. They billed it out as an OEM replacement at a dealership and cut me a check for that less the deductible (about $1k after $500 deductible)

I had a local shop put a Robbins top on for about the same amount. The OEM top was in rough shape to begin with, so it was just about a win overall :v: This would've been in 2008 or whatever year it was that GTA4 came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I had Allstate when my old '99 got the top slashed. They billed it out as an OEM replacement at a dealership and cut me a check for that less the deductible (about $1k after $500 deductible)

I had a local shop put a Robbins top on for about the same amount. The OEM top was in rough shape to begin with, so it was just about a win overall :v: This would've been in 2008 or whatever year it was that GTA4 came out.

Thanks. It hurts because of how new the top was and what a pain in the rear end it was to change it myself. I just don't want to deal with that again right now.

I wish that criminals determined to break into cars would just break the glass. I'm pretty sure it's cheaper to repair and deductibles are certainly lower.