Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazy Broker
Jul 9, 2013

Whatcha gonna do? When they come for you?
There goes $TSLA there goes $SPY...beautiful day for me. Lowering stops to lock those profits. :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J4Gently
Jul 15, 2013

Acquilae posted:

Wow I was trying to buy TSLA off the bottom and Scottrade is giving me a "CR99: Trading of Nasdaq stocks is currently not available online. Please call your local branch." error :argh:

you can thank CR99 for saving you a chunk of change.

Where does the fall stop now?

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

J4Gently posted:

Some place where their P/E makes sense?

So, ten bucks a share.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I'm all for TSLA seeing a healthy pullback, but I want to point out that gasoline is very flammable, too.

Li-ion batteries, compressed gas, and hydrogen in cars all make the public freak the gently caress out over fire safety, but worst-case testing shows them being no worse, and often better, than a gas tank fire. But people are already used to gasoline being in their cars, so a gasoline fire is an "acceptable risk we live with every day," while a Li-ion fire means they are death machines :doh:

J4Gently
Jul 15, 2013

alnilam posted:

I'm all for TSLA seeing a healthy pullback, but I want to point out that gasoline is very flammable, too.

Li-ion batteries, compressed gas, and hydrogen in cars all make the public freak the gently caress out over fire safety, but worst-case testing shows them being no worse, and often better, than a gas tank fire. But people are already used to gasoline being in their cars, so a gasoline fire is an "acceptable risk we live with every day," while a Li-ion fire means they are death machines :doh:

Seems like there is always overreaction to vivid stories like a car on fire.
It reminds me of the 20% drop in Monster stock because a story about a couple of people passing away after drinking it. Who know what else they were doing, using, their particular health history etc but 4 people out of the millions who drink it doesn't seem like a strong correlation.

The bigger question with TSLA though is the fundamentals and the question is it a car co or a tech co.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

DNova posted:

Looks like they're doing you a favor.

J4Gently posted:

Oh I know; dodged a major bullet there.

Netflix working out great so far!

Acquilae fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 3, 2013

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
perhaps reality is setting in that yes, the Republicans are in fact that crazy

Harold Cooplowski
Sep 11, 2013

nebby posted:

The fact that absolutely nothing has been accomplished since the shutdown must be making people nervous. I could have seen them shutting down for like 24-36 hours but this looks like a long term thing.

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?

alnilam posted:

Hydrogen is far, far, far worse than a hydrocarbon such as gasoline from a flammability and explosive pressure standpoint.

Far, far, far, far, far, far..... Let me know if you want me to go into specifics of why hydrogen sucks for dealing with concentrations of it.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

nollij posted:

Hydrogen is far, far, far worse than a hydrocarbon such as gasoline from a flammability and explosive pressure standpoint.

Far, far, far, far, far, far..... Let me know if you want me to go into specifics of why hydrogen sucks for dealing with concentrations of it.
Here's one reason: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgWHbpMVQ1U

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Fine-able Offense posted:

Some place where their P/E makes sense?

So, ten bucks a share.

Yes, look for a bluechip P/E in a company that is growing at 100%+ a year and has tech none of its competitors can even kind of compete with. You will go far in investing.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

greasyhands posted:

Yes, look for a bluechip P/E in a company that is growing at 100%+ a year and has tech none of its competitors can even kind of compete with. You will go far in investing.

Hmm, you make an excellent case, I am going to have to rethink my very serious contention that TSLA is set to decrease by 95%.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

nebby posted:

Yeah but seeing that the economy is functioning just fine without government has to be worrying the Democrats.

Nothing big here Ben will support the market until he leaves.

Now if the debt ceiling button gets pushed it is a different story. Ben will have his hands full there.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

What, we coat hydrogen cars in rocket fuel?

Hydrogen is an extremely flammable gas, but it has to mix with oxygen to burn. And we have ways of making a compresed hydrogen tank pretty safe, and hydrogen fuel cells don't mix gaseous hydrogen with gaseous oxygen.

Unfortunately, there are plenty of more important practical reasons why hydrogen-powered cars are not in the near future, unrelated to zeppelin fires or the dangers of compressed flammable gas tanks.

(Right now I have a tank of acetylene and a tank of oxygen, right next to each other, in my garage. With the caps properly in place, I'd wager they're far safer than the hot water heater fired by natural gas that I also have in my garage, and which millions of other people have in their garages.)

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I wrote up a bunch of facts, but I don't want to perpetuate this derail, so I'll just say:
H2 combusts with more energy than gasoline, yes, but that is far, far, far from the only thing that matters from a car safety standpoint. In the right conditions, H2 can do some dramatic things. But a lot of tests ever since the 80s 90s have shown that H2 in a car isn't much worse than gasoline in a car.

It's dangerous to drive a car filled with gasoline, it's dangerous to drive a car filled with H2, and it's dangerous to drive a car filled with Li-ion batteries. But the public is used to gasoline, so the fact that a Tesla car set on fire means all Li-ion cars must be death machines.

alnilam fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 3, 2013

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

alnilam posted:

It's dangerous to drive a car filled with gasoline, it's dangerous to drive a car filled with H2, and it's dangerous to drive a car filled with Li-ion batteries. But the public is used to gasoline, so the fact that a Tesla car set on fire means all Li-ion cars must be death machines.
Most people are conservative and will stick to the status quo unless the next step in evolution is perfect in every single aspect and the smallest flaw will turn them away.

*unless, not until

Acquilae fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 3, 2013

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Tesla was due for a correction, it was just a matter of what the catalyst was going to be. The fires and technology are irrelevant...

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Tesla was due for a correction, it was just a matter of what the catalyst was going to be. The fires and technology are irrelevant...
Most recent data is 68% institutional ownership. That's a lot of idiots who will sell the stock thinking "herp derp batteries = unsafe" in addition to professionals who will sell the stock based on momentum.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Tesla in pre-market so far looks like it's in honey badger mode.

...and falling flat on its face.

Acquilae fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Oct 4, 2013

Lightning Zwei
Aug 7, 2013
PBPB should be interesting

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Lightning Zwei posted:

PBPB should be interesting

I fully anticipate my delicious sandwich I get weekly will start to get pared down, due to share holder demands to cut costs. "Just add more air to the sandwich! Air is loving free!"

Lightning Zwei
Aug 7, 2013

FlashBangBob posted:

I fully anticipate my delicious sandwich I get weekly will start to get pared down, due to share holder demands to cut costs. "Just add more air to the sandwich! Air is loving free!"

I like how the IPO price was in fact $32 not $14.

edit: Your comment made me think of how much I loved Panera when it first started out, then it got steadily shittier.

Lightning Zwei fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 4, 2013

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Lightning Zwei posted:

I like how the IPO price was in fact $32 not $14.

edit: Your comment made me think of how much I loved Panera when it first started out, then it got steadily shittier.
Usually when a company files for an IPO, the price they set is for primary investors and brokerages(I believe a retail investor has to call their broker in advance to get an IPO at this price) and it'll trade there for a while before opening trading to secondary investors.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
It was priced at 14, company receives proceeds at 14/share

Lightning Zwei
Aug 7, 2013

Acquilae posted:

Usually when a company files for an IPO, the price they set is for primary investors and brokerages(I believe a retail investor has to call their broker in advance to get an IPO at this price) and it'll trade there for a while before opening trading to secondary investors.

I was just being an rear end :) but that's good to know, I wondered if it was even possible for retail investors to get in near the reported IPO price.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.
How can people be so stupid with their money? Looks like "investors" mistook TWTRQ as a way to buy into TWTR.
http://money.cnn.com/2013/10/04/investing/twitter-tweet-shares/index.html

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
I know I'm stupid and naive, but why does a company that's "gone out of business" even have shares on the market?

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

Inverse Icarus posted:

I know I'm stupid and naive, but why does a company that's "gone out of business" even have shares on the market?

As long as someone has a bid or offer on it

Harold Cooplowski
Sep 11, 2013

Kal Torak posted:

How can people be so stupid with their money? Looks like "investors" mistook TWTRQ as a way to buy into TWTR.

That's the greatest thing I have ever seen. Someone made money on that.

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
Efficient markets

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Kal Torak posted:

Speaking of stupid investing, I was reading Bill Ackman's investor letter yesterday about his massive failure in the Herbalife short and he came out with a statement saying that he restructured the short with more OTC puts to "protect against further paper losses." The hell is a paper loss in this statement? Last time I checked, if I shorted a stock and it went through an epic short squeeze, I'd be looking at an actual realized loss. Maybe it's time to talk to a hedge fund manager so I can how to convert all my lost trades into paper losses. It sounds like he's making a PR statement to investors who have no idea how the fund works and if any of his investors had a shred of intelligence, they should be jumping ship from Pershing Square and their <1% YTD returns and going to something like Icahn's fund.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Acquilae posted:

Speaking of stupid investing, I was reading Bill Ackman's investor letter yesterday about his massive failure in the Herbalife short and he came out with a statement saying that he restructured the short with more OTC puts to "protect against further paper losses." The hell is a paper loss in this statement? Last time I checked, if I shorted a stock and it went through an epic short squeeze, I'd be looking at an actual realized loss. Maybe it's time to talk to a hedge fund manager so I can how to convert all my lost trades into paper losses. It sounds like he's making a PR statement to investors who have no idea how the fund works and if any of his investors had a shred of intelligence, they should be jumping ship from Pershing Square and their <1% YTD returns and going to something like Icahn's fund.

Maybe they do something fun like not include unrealized losses in their ROR calculations.

guntpuncher
Apr 5, 2012
I'm feeling pretty bullish on Capital One (COF). They broke a significant $70 resistance point today which immediately caused it to shoot up an extra percentage point on decent volume. They've got solid fundamentals, have made some great acquisitions lately (ING Direct and Sharebuilder) and they have an earnings call in 2 weeks which I expect will go well. Add in an extra bump when the government shutdown is inevitably resolved and I can easily see it hitting $75 by November 1.

Thoughts?

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

guntpuncher posted:

I'm feeling pretty bullish on Capital One (COF). They broke a significant $70 resistance point today which immediately caused it to shoot up an extra percentage point on decent volume. They've got solid fundamentals, have made some great acquisitions lately (ING Direct and Sharebuilder) and they have an earnings call in 2 weeks which I expect will go well. Add in an extra bump when the government shutdown is inevitably resolved and I can easily see it hitting $75 by November 1.

Thoughts?

How are the loss ratios trending.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Acquilae posted:

It's not a realized loss until you have to rebuy the shares.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
i was looking at charts and it looks like BBY has really rebounded in 2013, from 15 to almot 40. What changed? I thought they were goners..

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

In your opinion what's the best first beginners book to read? "The neatest little guide"?

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

ChocNitty posted:

In your opinion what's the best first beginners book to read? "The neatest little guide"?

Valuation by McKinsey?

Lightning Zwei
Aug 7, 2013
Are any of you guys active on Stocktwits? Been flipping back and forth between Stocktwits and Twitter and I really like the site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy Broker
Jul 9, 2013

Whatcha gonna do? When they come for you?

Lightning Zwei posted:

Are any of you guys active on Stocktwits? Been flipping back and forth between Stocktwits and Twitter and I really like the site.

If I got some time I post my trades in twitter right after I do them.

@wortiz_

Same username in stocktwits but I just lurk on it. I don't believe what anyone says there but it is good to see other opinions different than yours.

Most is garbage traders and pumpers but it is kind of fun to see how sheep get slaughtered.