Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Man, Water Bolt is way better now. It gets mana-hungry if you're firing it off a lot early on, but if you can use it judiciously, it's really good. Especially if you luck out and find it on a bookshelf in the Dungeon foyer before you've even fought the Eye :unsmigghh:

The new staves are great too, but my favourite new wizard thing so far is the jeweled robes. At last, I can flaunt my magical power in a suitably fabulous fashion!

Ignimbrite posted:

Blood Moons in a meteor crator are pretty insane. 7-8 Meteor heads coming in constantly. Even spamming vilethorn they just don't stop.

I went Gravitation scouting and found my first post-1.2 floating island. Fought a few harpies, looted the chest, dug up a bunch of ore and cloud blocks, and started tearing down the sky house for its cool blocks and furniture.

Then the Blood Moon rose.

So many harpies. And I had just finished destroying my only source of shelter. :stare:

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
Is it possible to downgrade your version back to 1.1.2? I kinda wanna try out that Red Cloud mod.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

Angry Diplomat posted:

Man, Water Bolt is way better now. It gets mana-hungry if you're firing it off a lot early on, but if you can use it judiciously, it's really good. Especially if you luck out and find it on a bookshelf in the Dungeon foyer before you've even fought the Eye :unsmigghh:

Wait until you get the Aqua scepter. It got a significant range boost and costs only 4 mana to deal a piercing beam of watery death. After I found that, the entirety of pre-hardmode became a total breeze.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Loving the new patch, ropes are my favorite addition so far. Since I spawned right next to a giant tree, I decided to make my attempt at an elf-style tree house. I take it that there's a way to make living wood?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Edit: ^^^^^ Search your world for more trees, one might have (at the bottom) a wand that turns wood into living wood.

Akett posted:

Ugh, so there's a whole series of accessories that drop from various hardmode enemies and all they do is each one has a debuff that it prevents. They would all be useless if not for the fact that they can all be combined together and then with the obsidian shield.

The problem is that the chance of them dropping is loving %1 on each enemy that can drop one. This would be problem enough if not for some of the enemies being loving rare in and of themselves. There's one that only drops off cursed skulls, cursed hammers, or enchanted swords. There's one that according to the wiki only drops from corruptors, but I honestly doubt it only drops from them.

This is loving taking a while.

Yeah, but making the whole set makes you immune to silence, slow, confusion, weakness, broken armor, poison, bleeding, curse, and darkness. Yeah, takes forever to farm for, but seems to drop as a rare from all the set of hardmode enemies. With the silly things you can craft to farm enemies with battle potions and water candles, it just takes time. And is stupidly good for the time invested.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Can anybody explain why all the rooms on the right side are not suitable, while the almost exact mirror rooms on the left are?

They are not corrupted, so I have no idea what is going on. :confused:

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

Starhawk64 posted:

Loving the new patch, ropes are my favorite addition so far. Since I spawned right next to a giant tree, I decided to make my attempt at an elf-style tree house. I take it that there's a way to make living wood?

While on the topic, how do you make more leefy blocks? And what about living wood back-walls?

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Did you just de-corrupt them? I had an issue where I couldn't use recently de-corrupted rooms until the start of the next day.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Does the dungeon change when Hardmode starts now?

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Yeah, and it now holds one of the most annoying enemies in the game. Who knew Redigit would finally manage to create a threatening mage-type enemy?

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Tarquinn posted:

Can anybody explain why all the rooms on the right side are not suitable, while the almost exact mirror rooms on the left are?

They are not corrupted, so I have no idea what is going on. :confused:

Did you check the background walls? If those are not at fault then it's probably some obscure bug.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Make sure the doors are closed when you do the check, I've been having trouble with that.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Office Thug posted:

While on the topic, how do you make more leefy blocks? And what about living wood back-walls?

So far I've found items that make leaf blocks, living wood, and bone blocks. He really went all out giving deco options with this update.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Office Thug posted:

Find tree-dungeons. That is find the bigass trees that have a passage underground and they should have rooms that have chests that can contain those items that make those.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Still haven't found a world with a pyramid yet. :( Lots of those trees though.

However, I did find a bee shirt, a sword that makes bees appear when you hit things, a bee gun, and bee grenades.

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
Is there a list of differences between soft /medium / hardcore worlds? Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything in a softcore small or medium world.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Professor Moriarty posted:

Is there a list of differences between soft /medium / hardcore worlds? Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything in a softcore small or medium world.

I thought soft/medium/hardcore was a character, not a world setting.

I'm still on the search for an anklet of the wind for my super-boots. :( Stupid jungles.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
The worlds all have the same types of stuff in them despite size. A small world is just as likely to have a pyramid as a large world. A large world just has more stuff. So a small world might have 6 shadow orbs whereas a large world has 12.

The only reason for a large world is if you have more people, otherwise large worlds suck.

Softcore/mediumcore/hardcore are character specific and are completely independent of the world.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

Heavy neutrino posted:

Did you just de-corrupt them? I had an issue where I couldn't use recently de-corrupted rooms until the start of the next day.

mirarant posted:

Did you check the background walls? If those are not at fault then it's probably some obscure bug.

Eox posted:

Make sure the doors are closed when you do the check, I've been having trouble with that.

Walls check out, I've waited a day and the doors are closed. Unless there's a single pixel wall I am missing in all of the rooms, this seems to be some kind of bug. Thanks for the help anyway! :)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

How close is the corruption to that side of the house?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Medium worlds seem to be enough for even servers with 4-5 people, so I really don't recommend anyone make a Large world unless they really want to. Travel time on those is loving insane.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

It took two friends and I about an hour to build a hell shaft on a huge world last night. Huge worlds: not even once.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

Zereth posted:

How close is the corruption to that side of the house?

Close. But there's enough hallowed stuff to go around and the text says "not suitable" and not "corrupted".

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Man, the bundle of balloons. :stare:

Too bad you can't combine it with a horseshoe, but I guess it would be way to good otherwise. :v:

Also there's is a hierarchy now for balloons, Sandstorm>Blizzard>Cloud, in case any of you have them but haven't switched them out.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 3, 2013

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Tarquinn posted:

Close. But there's enough hallowed stuff to go around and the text says "not suitable" and not "corrupted".

Would it be a pain in the rear end to push the corruption back like 10-20 tiles for one of the rooms? At this point its probably worth a try, as much as it sucks.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

quiggy posted:

It took two friends and I about an hour to build a hell shaft on a huge world last night. Huge worlds: not even once.

On a huge world in free fall, it takes over a minute to get to hell.

gently caress that poo poo.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

quiggy posted:

We had a foursome do it in probably 8-10 minutes, even with a fair amount of water in the way. What picks were you using? We were all on Nightmare Pickaxes I believe.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

No Safe Word posted:

We had a foursome do it in probably 8-10 minutes, even with a fair amount of water in the way. What picks were you using? We were all on Nightmare Pickaxes I believe.

Two Nightmare picks, one gold. I think the biggest problems were no breathing equipment, lots of water getting drained out just before lava pools, and only one lava protection charm.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
My wife and I are pretty excited about playing with all the new changes, but would we be able to play together over a LAN? I seem to recall that not being an option previously.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Starhawk64 posted:

Treebuddy :buddy:

I'm working on trees too. It's a bit sucky that apparently the leaf blocks you plop yourself won't grow those vines like the original big trees.

My älftree in progress. Thinking I need to demolish those blocky houses and start doing ones more like what the vendor guy up there has.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

i am tim! posted:

My wife and I are pretty excited about playing with all the new changes, but would we be able to play together over a LAN? I seem to recall that not being an option previously.

It's pretty easy to do now. Have one person host, look up their LAN address, use that as your IP and you should be good to go.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
What should a guy look for in terms of decent accessories? I'm using an obsidian shield, wings, cloud in a balloon, emblem, and lightning boots. I can't help but think I'm leaning too hard on mobility and missing a bunch of stuff I should probably opt for instead.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
So btw, I found something really cool in the jungle.
If you don't have a type of ore in your world and you're really silly and want them, there IS a way to find them that's pretty cool.
You can find a machine that turns silt and slush into random ores and gems!!:haw:

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.
So I hastily moved a world I was playing with a friend into hardmode. How do I block the Crimson from moving again? I forgot to pre-plan and I didn't remember how fast this stuff moved. I think it's time to build a safety wall, while I still have time.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
3 Tile gap will stop both hollow and crimson from spreading. You have to go deep though.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
So I randomly got a Crimson Key to drop, went and opened the chest in the dungeon and received concentrated bullshit in weapon form that let me facetank Skeletron Prime and the plant boss.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I have a fortress of Ice in my current world, and I want it to straddle the Corruption and Hallow as a fortress of solitude, with a lava moat.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Powercrazy posted:

3 Tile gap will stop both hollow and crimson from spreading. You have to go deep though.

Does it need to just be a gap, or do I need to have user-placed blocks on the sides of it?

s1ppycup
Jul 31, 2010

Meldonox posted:

What should a guy look for in terms of decent accessories? I'm using an obsidian shield, wings, cloud in a balloon, emblem, and lightning boots. I can't help but think I'm leaning too hard on mobility and missing a bunch of stuff I should probably opt for instead.

Right now I think I'm using lightning boots, ghost wings, obsidian shield, star veil, and mage shackles. The main things I'd never get rid of no matter what are wings, boots, and the shield. Mobility is king, and I cannot stand knockback. Technically I think I could tank anything even without the star veil just by using the specter set bonus, but I like it anyway. If I'm going melee, I'd probably just replace the mage shackles with a destroyer emblem or mechanical hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

shymog posted:

Does it need to just be a gap, or do I need to have user-placed blocks on the sides of it?

IIRC, the corruption vines only grow from "grass" so as long as the sides aren't dirt, 3 tiles is enough. If it's dirt, then replace the dirt with stone or something.

But honestly, don't worry about it, just let it come and fortify your fortress to protect your NPCs.

• Locked thread