Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's a lot easier to take away your soldier's robot arms when they retire than their genetically engineered laser eyes.

I still maintain that Vahlen should easily have the technology to properly store the soldier's human limbs when not in use and then reattach them when the soldier is retired/sent back home for a funeral.

Sent back home? That costs money and there's only one skyranger. And UPS doesn't make stops at X-Com HQ.

Family gets a form email.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's a lot easier to take away your soldier's robot arms when they retire than their genetically engineered laser eyes.

I still maintain that Vahlen should easily have the technology to properly store the soldier's human limbs when not in use and then reattach them when the soldier is retired/sent back home for a funeral.

Why play up the "sacrifice" angle at all, then?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Mr Dog posted:

Because strategy is dry and Gupta has to play up hype somehow.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr Dog posted:

Because X-COM basically lets you create your own mini-narratives and that plays into it.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I'm always surprised how negative some people are on cybernetic augmentation. As the article says, the mind is what makes a human not their limbs.

And personally i feel that limb replacement is way less invasive than genetic or psionic enhancement. On some level the mecsuit is not that different from the powerloader from alien, it's just a tool that helps hold a bigger gun and punch aliens harder, genetics and psionics give you new senses and abilities completely different from what you could do before and they'd be much more part of you than a robot arm.
If they want to go back to a normal life later on a MEC can just slot in civilian grade limbs and they're good, it'd be like stepping out of a forklift/powerloader. Solicers and psionics either have to constantly refrain from using their abilities in everyday life or they undergo some sort of reversal process which would probably be like going half blind and mute as they lose their new senses and ways of interacting with the world.

If i had the choice between cybernetics, genetics and psionics i'd definitely go the mec route. Hell, if better replacements were available i'd have my limbs chopped off even without an ongoing alien invasion.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

SlothfulCobra posted:

They should have this, but it should be a researchable technology. What do you do when you have to chose between laser guns and....your HUMANITY?

choose laser guns

MechPlasma
Jan 30, 2013
Am I the only one who remembers that these are actual soldiers, and not guys who wandered in off the street with a "101 things to do before I die" list? After the alien war, most of them won't be going home, they'll be going on to fight in their own countries. I don't think they'll think of battle-ready augmentation as a negative thing.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

MechPlasma posted:

Am I the only one who remembers that these are actual soldiers, and not guys who wandered in off the street with a "101 things to do before I die" list? After the alien war, most of them won't be going home, they'll be going on to fight in their own countries. I don't think they'll think of battle-ready augmentation as a negative thing.

I can see the Council requests now. "Remember that order for twelve alloy cannons? gently caress that, give us two dozen laser eyeballs and we'll give you 500 dollars and still leave the X-Com program at the end of the month."

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I always wondered what the exact unit of money X-Com uses is, because it seems weird that hiring a soldier costs only 5 whatevers less than building an interceptor.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Bistromatic posted:

I'm always surprised how negative some people are on cybernetic augmentation. As the article says, the mind is what makes a human not their limbs.

And personally i feel that limb replacement is way less invasive than genetic or psionic enhancement. On some level the mecsuit is not that different from the powerloader from alien, it's just a tool that helps hold a bigger gun and punch aliens harder, genetics and psionics give you new senses and abilities completely different from what you could do before and they'd be much more part of you than a robot arm.
If they want to go back to a normal life later on a MEC can just slot in civilian grade limbs and they're good, it'd be like stepping out of a forklift/powerloader. Solicers and psionics either have to constantly refrain from using their abilities in everyday life or they undergo some sort of reversal process which would probably be like going half blind and mute as they lose their new senses and ways of interacting with the world.

If i had the choice between cybernetics, genetics and psionics i'd definitely go the mec route. Hell, if better replacements were available i'd have my limbs chopped off even without an ongoing alien invasion.

'Sup pro-augmentation buddy. :hfive:
If they have surgery advanced enough to connect nerves to an artificial limb in the same way they work on a biological one, reattaching your old fleshy arms would be child's play.
Not to mention, who the hell would say no to being Adam Jensen? I know I wouldn't, war or no war.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
The very first time my buddy next to me gets turned into a smoking pair of boots by green alien plasma, I'm singing up for the amputee brigade. gently caress limbs, I'll take the giant fuckoff armored mech suit please! We'll deal with being the guy from Metallica's One video after I survive the war.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Mr Dog posted:

There's a bunch of new Steam achievements depicting enemy human snipers and medics, and kills scored by "XCOM base defense" personnel. It's kind of confirmed at this point.

I've been out of this thread for a while, but has anything dropped about having more than one Skyranger yet (yea/nea)?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

meatsaw posted:

I've been out of this thread for a while, but has anything dropped about having more than one Skyranger yet (yea/nea)?

No.

gannyGrabber posted:

I always wondered what the exact unit of money X-Com uses is, because it seems weird that hiring a soldier costs only 5 whatevers less than building an interceptor.

Generally it's accepted that it has roughly three or so zeros after it.

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 3, 2013

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Brainamp posted:

Generally it's accepted that it has roughly three or so zeros after it.
No, I think generally it's accepted that it's a unit of "game balance currency" that is intentionally abstract and makes no attempt whatsoever to represent any sort of real-world value.

Though I do like calling them Bitcoins, because that can explain the unrealistic conversion rates as random swings in the bitcoin market. I bought a medpack yesterday and bitcoins were worth $4, but today I bought a UFO-tech superfighter when they were selling at $250!

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

gannyGrabber posted:

Well the soldiers are the best of the best in the world so governments don't give them up for cheap, while the interceptors are from Uncle Joe's Interceptor Rodeo ten miles down the road.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

That's pretty much the reason they use X-Bucks instead of a real currency. Because adding three zeros might make sense for a soldier...

$5,000 to recruit a new soldier? I can buy that.

...but be ridiculously low for an Interceptor.

$40,000 for the best combat aircraft in the world? Try $40,000,000!

By having X-Bucks represent a vague "resources" kind of currency, the game designers aren't bound by how much things cost in real life and can instead balance things based on how they want the economy to work in-game. It was a pretty canny decision on their part, really.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I always liked to think the Council just gave you a bunch of Tricky Dick Fun Bills that were only good with them.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I dunno, whatever the salary of ordinary army dudes is, you're probably gonna get paid a shitton for being one of the 10-20 soldiers charged with defending all of humanity from alien invasion. Footballers get paid a cool few million, we can shell out that much for the best soldiers in the world.

*misses Muton at point-blank range with shotgun*

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I have to say that it's kind of funny how some of the discussions this thread in general has gone from:
"What do you mean I can't send a squad of 10 newbies out to die like lemmings in a meatgrinder? :byodood:"

to

"Omigosh, do you mean that they need to cut off the arms and legs of my poor soldier if they are going to be a mech? :ohdear:"

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Boing posted:

I dunno, whatever the salary of ordinary army dudes is, you're probably gonna get paid a shitton for being one of the 10-20 soldiers charged with defending all of humanity from alien invasion. Footballers get paid a cool few million, we can shell out that much for the best soldiers in the world.

*Panics, then coolly takes aim at a VIP before nailing him in the head with a sniper rifle while under suppressing fire from a Muton*

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Boing posted:

Aww, you think that. Those soldiers are getting minimum wage, and that's probably minimum wage for the country they come from.

Also there needs to be a random event where the US just decides it won't pay its funding that month.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Well, the original X-Com had the soldiers paid 20K a month, with a 40,000 signing bonus. Plus free lodging and food, full medical and dental, all the good stuff. Plus, I doubt those earnings are taxed.

That's all in 1999 dollars. Compared to PMCs, even ignoring the benefits, that's more than double standard.

That isn't just "not bad". X-Com employees are the 1%.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So XCOM: Enemy Within is on Steam now if you guys wanna get it for a little bit cheaper.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

FauxGateau posted:

So XCOM: Enemy Within is on Steam now if you guys wanna get it for a little bit cheaper.

$27 :negative:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Groetgaffel posted:

Not to mention, who the hell would say no to being Adam Jensen? I know I wouldn't, war or no war.

While I haven't found the time to play Human Revolution, the internet has made me aware that Adam Jensen himself, in fact, never asked for this.

Also I love the XCOM uses Simoleons for currency and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
X-Com has trading cards now.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Also it has a free weekend so (a) anybody interested in trying the game should download it and play and (b) multiplayer will probably be a pubstomping dreamland :getin:

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Well, I just pre-purchased Enemy Within and jumped in there... and there's nobody :smith:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The more I read about the MEC class, the more my response becomes "meh". I'd rather have a SHIV on steroids, but maybe I'm a cranky rear end in a top hat.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Crazy Ted posted:

The more I read about the MEC class, the more my response becomes "meh". I'd rather have a SHIV on steroids, but maybe I'm a cranky rear end in a top hat.

Yeah but can a SHIV punch a sectoid into a tractor so hard that it explodes? I thought not.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing

BenRGamer posted:

Well, I just pre-purchased Enemy Within and jumped in there... and there's nobody :smith:

The steam page doesn't have a release date... is it already out?

Oh right the checkout cart tells you that :mad:

What do you mean by 'jumped in'?

immortal flow fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 3, 2013

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

immortal flow posted:

He probably means multiplayer, given that it's a promotional free weekend of Enemy Unknown.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

immortal flow posted:

The steam page doesn't have a release date... is it already out?

Oh right the checkout cart tells you that :mad:

Went to play multiplayer to curbstomp some pubbies.

Gotta love my three-man team of blitzkrieging destruction.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

In the TMA podcast Gupta said the genetic upgrades are available to everyone and that the Mech warrior is its own class, like sniper or whatever. Also the mech warrior advances up her skill tree and at the same time you also advance the tech of the suit. At least that is what he said on the podcast.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

You should be able to get a genetic upgrade where you have a soldier yell gently caress YOU at a Thin Man and it instantly dies of fright because of the soldier's newly terrifying voice.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The only problem my wife has with MECs is they are not available in the real world so she can shed her mortal form for some sweet cybernetic chassis. My first MEC is probably going to have to be made to look like her.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Crazy Ted posted:

You should be able to get a genetic upgrade where you have a soldier yell gently caress YOU at a Thin Man and it instantly dies of fright because of the soldier's newly terrifying voice.

Every single soldier I have would get this. Every one.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

You know what would have made the Thin Men better? If they were dressed up as creepy clowns instead of just Dude in Suit #73.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

gannyGrabber posted:

This might be a bit late but they appear to be using a form of Special Drawing Rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Crazy Ted posted:

You know what would have made the Thin Men better? If they were dressed up as creepy clowns instead of just Dude in Suit #73.

• Locked thread