Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
For pumpkin beer I just buy cans of pumpkin from Whole Foods or wherever seems the least processed, add a couple of cups of water to it until it reaches the same temperature as the mash, and then pour it in at the beginning along with two or three handfuls of rice hulls. I did this last year on a pumpkin spiced porter that I thought turned out very well, but I would have lowered the spice level in retrospect.

Fresh pumpkin can of course be done, but you'd usually want to quarter it and roast it in the oven until you can smash it into a liquid-y paste and do the same thing. Some breweries swear this make a better beer, but pumpkin, like any squash, doesn't really taste like anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti
Sorry if I missed an answer to this somewhere in this massive thread. I started a hard cider as my first home brew but Im not sure when to start bottling. Its been fermenting for about a week and a half now and most of the bubbling has stopped. Would it be okay to start right away or wait for the weekend? Is there a down side to letting it sit longer?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I am a corn fed retard. I am buying grain,sizing mash water based on a 5 gal mash tun

And I quite clearly have a 10 gal one. Well good thing I get good efficiency. Time to throw more pumpkin in this mash!

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
What is the feasibility of using something like a Sansaire or Anova sous vide appliance to do your mash?

Basically they circulate water for sous vide cooking. I was thinking of throwing it in my mash tun (supported some way) and basically either doing a brew-in-a-bag or having a small filter cage around the intake.

Constant temperature, can bump up/lower the temp for different rests, can circulate the liquid in different directions.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

LTBS posted:

What is the feasibility of using something like a Sansaire or Anova sous vide appliance to do your mash?

Basically they circulate water for sous vide cooking. I was thinking of throwing it in my mash tun (supported some way) and basically either doing a brew-in-a-bag or having a small filter cage around the intake.

Constant temperature, can bump up/lower the temp for different rests, can circulate the liquid in different directions.

Research HERMS or RIMS systems. Quite a few homebrewers work with those.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
So here's my experiment tonight: pumpkin candi sugar. That way I can say "yes, this beer does in fact have pumpkin in it" without having to worry about the beer tasting like squash. I'm going to get a few pie pumpkins and juice them. I'll heat the juice up to 155 and add some amylase enzyme to convert it. I'll do an starch test to be sure I have full conversion, and then add some DAP and boil the pumpkin sugar solution down to a syrup. Sound crazy enough to work?

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
So dumb question. If you are contagious sick, could you somehow germify your beer during fermentation or bottling? I know it wouldn't be able to get anyone else sick because the alcohol would probably kill it, but could it possibly grow some bad flavors into the beer?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Drumstick posted:

Sorry if I missed an answer to this somewhere in this massive thread. I started a hard cider as my first home brew but Im not sure when to start bottling. Its been fermenting for about a week and a half now and most of the bubbling has stopped. Would it be okay to start right away or wait for the weekend? Is there a down side to letting it sit longer?

Airlock bubbling is not an accurate measure of the progress of fermentation. If you have a hydrometer: take a sample, wait at least a day and take another sample. If they are the same then it's safe to bottle. If you don't have a hydrometer, get one. If you can't get one then just wait longer to be sure it's completely fermented, like a few weeks. There is nothing wrong with letting it sit for as long as 6 months or more. On the other hand, if you bottle too soon and it's still fermenting you will end up with exploding bottles or at least cider all over your ceiling and walls. If you really really need to bottle it for some reason you can dose it with sulfite and sorbate to halt fermentation and prevent refermentation. Some people even do this to get a specific level of sweetness in the finished product since most cider will ferment out very dry.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Crunkjuice posted:

So dumb question. If you are contagious sick, could you somehow germify your beer during fermentation or bottling? I know it wouldn't be able to get anyone else sick because the alcohol would probably kill it, but could it possibly grow some bad flavors into the beer?

It's possible, but so long as you exercise proper sanitation procedures it shouldn't happen. I mean during fermentation you're basically dealing with a giant pot of super tasty bug juice, so any microbes that you toss in there will be competing with the "good" microbes for the prize. I figure bottling would be less likely because of the alcohol content but the risk could still be there. So I guess I would avoid bottling or brewing while sick. A bigger risk would be sick while handling a 5 gallon pot of boiling wort or the risk of broken glass.

Speaking of brewing and being ill...

I had minor surgery yesterday, and while waiting for the procedure to start my wife and I figure out what we wanted to brew over the new few weekends. The hospital had wifi so we put together a shopping list from Annapolihs Home Brew, and it arrived today. They put everything together and shipped it the same day, and since we live in Maryland we got all 57 pounds of it the next day! Not bad for $7.95 flat rate shipping. What you see there is the all grain kit for their Belgian Tripel, the extract kits for the WH Honey Ale and Honey Porter kits, and finally the ingredients for Northern Brewer's Saison de Noel kit. I also picked up some FermCap-S, extra corn sugar, and some yeast nutrient. Total price was $202 shipped.

So yeah, if you guys are putting together a big order and want flat rate shipping I highly recommend giving Annapolis Homebrew a shot.

BTW has anyone checked out Northern Brewer's Megapot? Looks pretty nice, and $150 for a 10 gallon isn't terrible.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

BTW has anyone checked out Northern Brewer's Megapot? Looks pretty nice, and $150 for a 10 gallon isn't terrible.

Same pot, $106.

http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/update-international/sps-40/p5176.aspx

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
The 10 gallon megapot (or cheaper alternative) rules for 5 gallon batches. It's very wide so you need to start with 7.5 gallons or so to end up with 6 gallons post boil because of evaporation but it's big enough to not have to worry much about boil overs.

Nope. No viruses or pathogens that can make you sick can survive in beer.

Josh Wow fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 3, 2013

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Same as the old Megapot but not the same as the Megapot 1.2. I have that Update International pot and it is very short and wide (16" across by 12" deep) unlike NB's Megapot 1.2 which is 14.1" wide by 16.3" tall for the 10 gallon. That said I'm very happy with my sps-40 pot and would recommend it.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

The 80-quart version is calling my name a lot lately.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Josh Wow posted:

I guess if you want to get super technical, sickness usually ups the amount you sneeze and cough. Sneezing and coughing send aersolized bits of spit everywhere. Spit pretty commonly carries things that will spoil your beer.

But that's kind of getting into ridiculous detail since most people can usually avoid coughing and sneezing into their beer.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

You can also get that pot on Amazon for $93, but it's 16" in diameter and this one appeals to me because of its narrow size. I have a 5 gallon turkey fryer pot that's 12" in diameter and I was thinking of getting something a bit beefier.

Josh Wow posted:

I was thinking bacteria? But yeah, it seems rather improbable.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's possible, but so long as you exercise proper sanitation procedures it shouldn't happen. I mean during fermentation you're basically dealing with a giant pot of super tasty bug juice, so any microbes that you toss in there will be competing with the "good" microbes for the prize. I figure bottling would be less likely because of the alcohol content but the risk could still be there. So I guess I would avoid bottling or brewing while sick. A bigger risk would be sick while handling a 5 gallon pot of boiling wort or the risk of broken glass.

Speaking of brewing and being ill...

I had minor surgery yesterday, and while waiting for the procedure to start my wife and I figure out what we wanted to brew over the new few weekends. The hospital had wifi so we put together a shopping list from Annapolihs Home Brew, and it arrived today. They put everything together and shipped it the same day, and since we live in Maryland we got all 57 pounds of it the next day! Not bad for $7.95 flat rate shipping. What you see there is the all grain kit for their Belgian Tripel, the extract kits for the WH Honey Ale and Honey Porter kits, and finally the ingredients for Northern Brewer's Saison de Noel kit. I also picked up some FermCap-S, extra corn sugar, and some yeast nutrient. Total price was $202 shipped.

So yeah, if you guys are putting together a big order and want flat rate shipping I highly recommend giving Annapolis Homebrew a shot.

I'm planning the Saison de Noel as well, so I was pretty happy when Wyeast announced that the 3726 Farmhouse Reserve was going to be one of their specialties from October-December. I already asked the LHBS when they're getting it in :)

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Wow the 1.2 MegaPot is a ton better than the first version. I bought the Bayou Classic 62qt stainless for my brewery. It is 20 gauge, which is thinner than the 18 gauge of a Blichmann, but it is really sturdy. I'd have a hard time bending it and a year later it is still in great shape. It has the same dimensions as the MegaPot 1.2s, taller rather than wider. The bottom is also single ply so using it on a stove or burner might not be as good as for an electric brewery. It also lacks volume markings and the inset along the top makes fitting a false bottom that doesn't fold impossible.

Just another option if those limitations are ok with your usage.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

more falafel please posted:

I'm planning the Saison de Noel as well, so I was pretty happy when Wyeast announced that the 3726 Farmhouse Reserve was going to be one of their specialties from October-December. I already asked the LHBS when they're getting it in :)

How does that compare to the 3711?

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Airlock bubbling is not an accurate measure of the progress of fermentation. If you have a hydrometer: take a sample, wait at least a day and take another sample. If they are the same then it's safe to bottle. If you don't have a hydrometer, get one. If you can't get one then just wait longer to be sure it's completely fermented, like a few weeks. There is nothing wrong with letting it sit for as long as 6 months or more. On the other hand, if you bottle too soon and it's still fermenting you will end up with exploding bottles or at least cider all over your ceiling and walls. If you really really need to bottle it for some reason you can dose it with sulfite and sorbate to halt fermentation and prevent refermentation. Some people even do this to get a specific level of sweetness in the finished product since most cider will ferment out very dry.

Thanks! My roommate has a hydrometer. I would love to avoid cider explosions.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

I have a Berliner Weisse fermenting now, I pitched the Berlinner Weisse from Wyeast on it (lots of lacto for a head start and a bit of Brett to catch up later) and its fermenting at 28C right now. Should I bring that temp down once the lacto has fine it's job, or is Brett ok at that temp? I want a lot of sour funkiness.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I haven't used either (this will be my first Saison), but from what I hear it's similar to the 3711 in terms of not stalling out around 1.030, but doesn't attenuate quite as much, and more spicy stuff compared to the more fruity esters of the 3711/3724. It's supposed to be real tasty though, so I'm intrigued. From what I can tell, the Saison de Noel was originally made to be fermented with 3726, and they provide 3711 when it's not available.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Saison de Noel kicks rear end no matter which saison/farmhouse strain you use, fortunately. :cheers:

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I've made basic pils/wheat saisons with 3711, 3724 and 3726. So far 3726 is the fruitiest and tartest of the 3, 3711 is lemony and lightly spicy and has that smooth mouthfeel, and 3724 (still my favorite) has lots of spice and moderate fruit and tartness (when fermented at 90-95F). I don't think you have to jack the temp up for 3726, I pitched at 70F and let it come up by itself in a room at 75F and it hit FG of 1.003 in 13 days. They'll all get down close to 1.000 if done right but 3711 is the most forgiving.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Myron Baloney posted:

I've made basic pils/wheat saisons with 3711, 3724 and 3726. So far 3726 is the fruitiest and tartest of the 3, 3711 is lemony and lightly spicy and has that smooth mouthfeel, and 3724 (still my favorite) has lots of spice and moderate fruit and tartness (when fermented at 90-95F). I don't think you have to jack the temp up for 3726, I pitched at 70F and let it come up by itself in a room at 75F and it hit FG of 1.003 in 13 days. They'll all get down close to 1.000 if done right but 3711 is the most forgiving.

Yeah, I was going to pitch 3726 around 70-75 and then keep it at ambient of 72 or so (so, getting up to almost if not 80 internally) unless it stalled out.

This reminds me: I got a submersible aquarium heater: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006MMJ8EE/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for potentially heating a Saison in a water bath, since I use Better Bottles and I'm not super comfortable putting a heater on them directly. If I do use something like that, how important is water circulation in order to keep a consistent temperature? I was just going to use a rope tub with the carboy/heater in there.

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.

wildfire1 posted:

I have a Berliner Weisse fermenting now, I pitched the Berlinner Weisse from Wyeast on it (lots of lacto for a head start and a bit of Brett to catch up later) and its fermenting at 28C right now. Should I bring that temp down once the lacto has fine it's job, or is Brett ok at that temp? I want a lot of sour funkiness.

I wouldn't think that brett is okay at that temp. Brett is like any other yeast and has a temperature range that it prefers otherwise it'll produce more of the funky flavors. Even then, there are multiple strains of brettanomyces so find out which one you have first.

For the Lacto, I would try and get a higher temperature. I would go to 43 C if you can for a few days.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
so how long after getting grains crushed are they still viable for use? I picked up 13lbs of Vienna and 2row 3 weeks ago and had my LHBS crush it for me, and I want to know how long I can just keep it sitting in its bag for.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I don't have much experience with Munich Malt (specifically for extract but in general will work)...If a recipe calls for X amount of Maris otter and I instead use Y and Z amounts of Munich and Pilsner to get the same color, how different is the taste going to be?
I mean that in the respect of will it be fundamentally a different beer or kinda similar - all else the same?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
OK, update time on the Northern Brewer Bubbler carboys. Yesterday, I took a day off work to brew, and did ten gallons of Scottish 80/-. I split the batch between a Bubbler and a Better Bottle. When these were full of cooled wort, I picked each one up, and I found that the Bubbler seems a little firmer to the touch than the Better Bottle does. As previously discussed, there's more plastic in the Bubbler and it feels a touch heavier and more rigid overall, so this really comes as no surprise. Other than that, it seems to hold wort and fermenting beer just fine. I use those orange carboy hoods, and the same one fits both carboys.

I guess the next thing will be to see if one might be easier to clean than the other for some reason, but I don't imagine that will be the case.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Cointelprofessional posted:

I wouldn't think that brett is okay at that temp. Brett is like any other yeast and has a temperature range that it prefers otherwise it'll produce more of the funky flavors. Even then, there are multiple strains of brettanomyces so find out which one you have first.

For the Lacto, I would try and get a higher temperature. I would go to 43 C if you can for a few days.

Yeah I wanted to bring it higher but the Brett is in there already and I was worried I'd kill it off. I'll leave it hot for another day or so then bring it down.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I just second-guessed myself yesterday after checking my first kit brew...

When you take your final hydrometer reading, do you want your beer carbonated or let it go flat? I assume it makes a difference, and my instinct says flat because that gives you a better comparison to the wort, but what is the proper way?

EnsignVix
Jul 11, 2006

ChiTownEddie posted:

I don't have much experience with Munich Malt (specifically for extract but in general will work)...If a recipe calls for X amount of Maris otter and I instead use Y and Z amounts of Munich and Pilsner to get the same color, how different is the taste going to be?
I mean that in the respect of will it be fundamentally a different beer or kinda similar - all else the same?

Yeah it should have a different flavor profile but not necessarily outside the constraints of whatever style you are going for. Maris Otter has a very nice rich nutty flavor, while Pilsner is more delicate and grainy, and Munich is full bodied malty goodness. Don't be afraid to "cross borders" with ingredients, if anything it should be a good experiment for you and better your understanding of base malt flavors. I've had BJCP judges name drop specific malts that were not present in my grain bill at all. Often a certain base malt is assumed per style but you can sometimes use a mix of others without anyone being able to pick up on it.

You can even taste the grains on their own while formulating a grain bill. I'll often do this to remind me exactly what they taste like. Your LHBS might even let you take a little sample of each.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

BrianBoitano posted:

I just second-guessed myself yesterday after checking my first kit brew...

When you take your final hydrometer reading, do you want your beer carbonated or let it go flat? I assume it makes a difference, and my instinct says flat because that gives you a better comparison to the wort, but what is the proper way?

Your final hydrometer reading(s) should be pre-carbonation while still in the fermenting vessel. The usual guideline to make sure fermentation is finished is 3 consistent readings in a 3 day period. Obviously there is opinion about how many days in a row, etc :chef:

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

EnsignVix posted:

Yeah it should have a different flavor profile but not necessarily outside the constraints of whatever style you are going for. Maris Otter has a very nice rich nutty flavor, while Pilsner is more delicate and grainy, and Munich is full bodied malty goodness. Don't be afraid to "cross borders" with ingredients, if anything it should be a good experiment for you and better your understanding of base malt flavors. I've had BJCP judges name drop specific malts that were not present in my grain bill at all. Often a certain base malt is assumed per style but you can sometimes use a mix of others without anyone being able to pick up on it.

You can even taste the grains on their own while formulating a grain bill. I'll often do this to remind me exactly what they taste like. Your LHBS might even let you take a little sample of each.

Cool. Thanks for the tips, I'll try more experimentation batches. Small one of the MO and small of the Munich/Pilsner to see how they differ :)

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

JawKnee posted:

so how long after getting grains crushed are they still viable for use? I picked up 13lbs of Vienna and 2row 3 weeks ago and had my LHBS crush it for me, and I want to know how long I can just keep it sitting in its bag for.

6 months? - As long as you aren't storing it a damp hot place you should be fine. A small nano brewery in Maine used to buy their grain pre-crushed b/c they didn't have a mill. Said he kept grain for a long while.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Hops Direct is taking orders for 2013 crop leaf hops (including Amarillo), Citra and Tettnanger will be up in a couple hours.

http://www.hopsdirect.com/new-2013-crop-available/

I love my LHBS and the owners but I just can't afford $4/oz leaf Amarillo.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Jo3sh posted:

Yesterday, I took a day off work to brew

:backtowork:

I can't even find time to take the day after hernia surgery off.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

more falafel please posted:

Yeah, I was going to pitch 3726 around 70-75 and then keep it at ambient of 72 or so (so, getting up to almost if not 80 internally) unless it stalled out.

This reminds me: I got a submersible aquarium heater: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006MMJ8EE/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for potentially heating a Saison in a water bath, since I use Better Bottles and I'm not super comfortable putting a heater on them directly. If I do use something like that, how important is water circulation in order to keep a consistent temperature? I was just going to use a rope tub with the carboy/heater in there.
I found putting a little submersible pump or powerhead in the tub helps a lot in getting uniform warm temps - without it only convection carries warm water away from the heater, usually slowly enough that the heater turns off while the other side of the tub is still cool. I stuck the heater's suction cups to the side of a champagne bottle and sank that so it laid on its side on one end of the tub, making sure it wasn't touching the better bottle, and dropped the pump in on the other side. If you don't have a small submersible pump but you do have an aquarium air pump I'm sure dropping an airstone to the bottom would work pretty well too.

Myron Baloney fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 4, 2013

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
I am sure one of you more experienced brewers can help me out with this. I have a huge pitch of lager yeast from a bock that I just brewed, and I am thinking I want to do a small batch (2.5 gallons) of Russian Imperial Stout that I can lager over the winter. The bock yeast will ensure malty body, no fusels, and definitely no underpitching.

So, do I: a) Find a RIS recipe and just scale the grain/mash volume/sparge volume down, or b) brew an american stout, and just boil the poo poo out of it until I get to my 2.5 gallon mark on my kettle?

Any suggested recipes? Rage_saq, Doc, Josh, I am looking at you.

thomawesome
Jul 19, 2009
gently caress doing a russian imperial stout and make a baltic porter if you have lager yeast. Take a robust porter recipe, add a little bit of smoked malts, scale down the recipe but bump up the base malts for extra gravity. Baltic Porters might not reach russian imperial stout levels of booze but it's a really under appreciated style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Agreed, Baltic Porters are amazing.

In other news, I thought I'd hosed up my Berliner Weisse by fermenting it too hot initially, since the Wyeast one apparently contains a German ale yeast as well. It looked ok when I got home, but when I took a whiff holy poo poo it smelt bad. It's only gotten worse too, to the point that I have to keep it outside or it stinks the whole house out just through the airlock! I talked to a brewer friend of mine and he said that it happens, and that in 6-12 months the Brett will clear it all up. It's interesting, but as soon as primary is finished I'm transferring it to something with a complete stopper and stashing it in the garage.

Lastly, I pitched the dregs of Rayon Vert (pale ale with brett) into a starter and have yeast flocculated at the bottom. If I'm trying to build up a big brett starter to separate into multiple batches so I can innoculate different beers, am I better off taking the mostly fermented wort and making a new starter with it? My thought is that the Sacc from the pale ale will be what's flocculated at the bottom and the Brett will still be floating around, superattenuating so when I make a new starter with just the liquid no yeast then it will be mostly brettanomyces? It's not a huge deal, since I won't be doing any primary fermentations but it would be nice to know that it's just (or mostly just) brett in there instead of US-05 or whatever with a tiny bit of brett.

e: oh my god, my starter smells amazing - nectarines and peaches.