Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Nativity In Black posted:

I have seen Spooky chide his chat multiple times for being pieces of poo poo. He's probably the only person I've seen who regularly gets more than a thousand viewers who tries to exercise control over his chat aside from stopping spam. I have to think that this is in direct response to the people from outside who say the FGC is the most homophobic or misogynist group.

Spooky's chat is sub only too, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Spooky's chat is sub only too, right?

He relaxed it a bit recently. I think it was open last time he streamed NLBC.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
There are very few people who stream monsters will listen to even half the time and Spooky happens to be one of them. Other commentators who try to rein in the monsters are either ignored or mocked. Ignoring them is the best way to go unless you're Spooky or another one of the rare monster whisperers.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

AnonSpore posted:

There are very few people who stream monsters will listen to even half the time and Spooky happens to be one of them. Other commentators who try to rein in the monsters are either ignored or mocked. Ignoring them is the best way to go unless you're Spooky or another one of the rare monster whisperers.

This is because Spooky is the only streamer who remembers to set his monsters free. The complaints during evo were great.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

Super Rad posted:

This is because Spooky is the only streamer who remembers to set his monsters free. The complaints during evo were great.

What on earth does this mean?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Mr. Fun posted:

What on earth does this mean?

Google "you are all free now"

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Spooky ends his all of his casts with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yYS0ZZdsnA

Since he was streaming EVO he even managed to do it the last night of the event, after AE finals.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Since he was streaming EVO he even managed to do it the last night of the event, after AE finals.

But he didn't do it the first two nights which meant the chat was full of: SPOOBY PLZ BibleThump and I'm trapped in this stream.... oh well see you tomorrow I guess :(

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

Spooky ends his all of his casts with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yYS0ZZdsnA

Oh ok, yeah I've seen that on a couple of his casts but I didn't know it was a Big Deal.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Mr. Fun posted:

Oh ok, yeah I've seen that on a couple of his casts but I didn't know it was a Big Deal.

It's kind of a goofy ritual that shows Spooky remembers the poverty roots of his stream. Spooky gets a lot of respect from the monsters because he does a lot to show that he cares about his audience without necessarily condoning the more idiotic things they do.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
I have to admit, it never fails to crack me up seeing the chat break out with the 'spooby pls' pleas and then everyone just spamming 'yaaaaaaaaaaay' when the crowd cheers on.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I really enjoy reading some of the poo poo Stream Monsters say, it at times can be funny without being horribly offensive, but most of the times it's utter poo poo. I love when Spooky shuts that poo poo right down though.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Twitch chat is the hive mind that science fiction dreamed of, except afflicted with ADHD and Tourette's. The dystopian future of tomorrow, today.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
art is streaming battle circuit tonight
http://www.twitch.tv/nycfurby should be up around 8

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

just a butt posted:

Twitch chat is the hive mind that science fiction dreamed of, except afflicted with ADHD and Tourette's. The dystopian future of tomorrow, today.

I watch VGCW and except for some sporadic incidents here and there, it's pretty harmless crowd mentality and bad puns (usually by me, but whatever). Of course, it's a smaller crowd, but the dudes running it have done a good job of killing the problems before they even begin. Same thing with MOST speedrun chats (looking at you, Sig). More streamers need to take that position, it's basically only Spooky. Art's "poverty chat", for instance, is a festering helldump (heh) 90% of the time.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

NLBC is streaming now

http://www.twitch.tv/nycfurby

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Champ is doing a Reddit AMA

http://www.reddit.com/r/MvC3/comments/1nmk02/hi_guys_im_filipino_champ_winner_of_evo_2012/

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

First comment nails it

quote:

I was very impressed with the way you handled that uncomfortable situation at the Canada Cup after-party. Rude and insensitive behavior should have no place in the FGC, and I'm glad that someone like yourself has the integrity to take a stand on this issue.
Just a short while ago, I was watching a popular FGC stream (I forget which one) that featured a real deplorable rear end in a top hat. He was calling his viewers "Fag-gars" (within earshot of actual homosexual gamers), saying "friend of the family-this" and "friend of the family-that" (though he clearly was not black), and disrespecting his competitors (and women everywhere) by saying that he "raped" and "impregnated" those he defeated. I heard this guy even makes fun of people's physical appearance, saying they resemble animals or something, and never stops teasing them about it. This would all be bad enough if these remarks came from some random nobody, but this guy was treated like a pillar of the community. Thousands were watching his stream and even donated money for him to travel to a major tournament, though he boasts how well he's paid by his sponsor. Apparently he gambled away his travel money, then tricked his loyal fans into covering his losses. He's the worst kind of scumbag, and I was reminded of him when you confronted that ignorant guy at Canada Cup.
My question is: How can we keep crass and manipulative people like the one I described from representing the FGC?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I came here to post that. drat, that was a laser burn. :allears:

Human
Jun 9, 2004

REAL HUMAN. SAFE TO APPROACH.

RickoniX posted:

First comment nails it

Wow, mastercrafted burn.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

RickoniX posted:

First comment nails it

Ahahahaha. The only thing that could top that would be if he answered as if he didn't realize it was him.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
And I found someone named sherrys_loose_pussy trying to accuse FChamp of not being moral. Oh, FGC (and Reddit). :allears:

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Reddit is many things, but that was a quintessential ice burn.

Commissar Ken posted:

Ahahahaha. The only thing that could top that would be if he answered as if he didn't realize it was him.

Thinking about it, that would actually be tremendously depressing.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Wow, I thought Yipes was being a little merciless when he trolled the gently caress out fchamp during the last Curleh Mustache. After reading that masterful ice burn, he was pulling his punches in comparison.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

drat. Kinda coincidental, but I was able to watch a bunch of the "Fighting Game Mastery" set he put out with Gooteck. I'm glad I didn't pay for it.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro
I can sympathize with Gootecks' desire to monetize his contribution to the FGC but the guy has no idea how to make a marketable product. Everything he tries to sell seems like a blatant hustle to my sensibilities. The FGC does not need to be hustling potential new members if it wants to grow.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

drat. Kinda coincidental, but I was able to watch a bunch of the "Fighting Game Mastery" set he put out with Gooteck. I'm glad I didn't pay for it.

One of the Canada Cup commentators spoiled the fact that one of the segments is just a long Skype call. Not that there's anything inherently bad about that, but it would be better if they were playing training mode or playing online while talking or something.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Elephant Ambush posted:

One of the Canada Cup commentators spoiled the fact that one of the segments is just a long Skype call. Not that there's anything inherently bad about that, but it would be better if they were playing training mode or playing online while talking or something.
I watched the 5 demos they had, the whole thing seemed to be a long skype call with Gootecks interviewing FChamp about SF4 and Genesis interviewing him about Marvel choices. But yea, trying to describe how you punish a Strider assist or how you safely call Doom Missiles over skype is not going to help very many people achieve fighting game mastery.

ChristsDickWorship fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 3, 2013

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Elephant Ambush posted:

The entire peoduct is just a long Skype call. There is nothing shown at all besides Gootecks staring off in the distance, and FChamp taking drags off his e-cig. There really is no point in the videos, because there's no footage of gameplay at all.

It's basically a 4 hour podcast with info that you can get from SRK or youtube videos.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

Elephant Ambush posted:

Not that there's anything inherently bad about that, but it would be better if they were playing training mode or playing online while talking or something.

IIRC that's is exactly what Gootecks did with Air when they made their thing about Ryu a couple years back and Capcom C&D'd them. Ultradavid put out an interesting writeup about it earlier this year, he was on Cross Counter's side and was pretty sure they'd win if the fight went to court but CC threw the towel in before it could get there.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Poor Gooteggs just doesn't want to work a proper job.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Mio Bison posted:

IIRC that's is exactly what Gootecks did with Air when they made their thing about Ryu a couple years back and Capcom C&D'd them. Ultradavid put out an interesting writeup about it earlier this year, he was on Cross Counter's side and was pretty sure they'd win if the fight went to court but CC threw the towel in before it could get there.

So is Capcom saying unofficial strategy guides are illegal? Or are they saying that unofficial strategy guides were official all along because they paid licensing fees in secret?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Mio Bison posted:

Yeah I watched that whole thing with Air and it was really good. I also saw the vanilla MVC3 one with Viscant. Those were worth watching.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

ToastyPotato posted:

So is Capcom saying unofficial strategy guides are illegal? Or are they saying that unofficial strategy guides were official all along because they paid licensing fees in secret?

If Gootecks didn't release video footage with it I'm pretty sure it would have been legal without a single debate. It's in that gray area where you can C&D video game videos even though if you talk over them and edit them they basically constitute as a new work.

You can fight it and win, definitely, but it's not worth your time and money.

I don't think Gootecks should be charging for tutorial videos though IMO. I think that's scummy in general.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Waterbed posted:

If Gootecks didn't release video footage with it I'm pretty sure it would have been legal without a single debate. It's in that gray area where you can C&D video game videos even though if you talk over them and edit them they basically constitute as a new work.

You can fight it and win, definitely, but it's not worth your time and money.

I don't think Gootecks should be charging for tutorial videos though IMO. I think that's scummy in general.

Is it safe to say, that had he only thrown them up on Youtube, he would have been 100% clear and Capcom would have ignored him? I assume there are plenty of "guides" on youtube as it is, so I am guessing he was singled out solely because he was trying to sell them in a very direct way (as opposed to getting money via CPM.)

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Waterbed posted:

I watched the Akuma one they made and I thought it was worth money for it, it was well produced and seemed to have some good stuff in it and seemed to be informative. It was a piece of media that seemed to require a lot of work to make, I don't know why they shouldn't be charging money for those.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah I think the real problem that capcom was worried about was that Gootecks was selling his guides, and capcom already had a deal in place with Brady/Prima or whatever to sell guides. I don't think he would've gotten in trouble if he just uploaded it for free, but then again its Gootecks and that guy just wants to sell you everything.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Yipes and Marlinpie are about to run some sets. http://www.twitch.tv/ifcyipes

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
http://twitch.tv/mixupnight has a Japanese KOF and GGXXACPR tournament. KOF top 8 now, don't know if that means GG is done already
edit2: More details http://shoryuken.com/2013/10/05/mix-up-night-14-streaming-live-from-osaka-japan/

edit: http://www.twitch.tv/wcgusa has the World Cyber Games USA finals. I know nothing about this except Combofiend just tweeted about it and K-Brad is mauling some Chun Li player in AE. Winner gets a trip to China for the WCG world finals I guess

iPodschun fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I tuned in just in time to catch a good Dieminion vs Kbrad set so thanks for that.