Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nibblet
Nov 25, 2005

Her head is full of worms.

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

I'm working on a doubleknit scarf right now:

I only hold one yarn at a time though. You basically just knit or purl whichever stitches you want to be that color, and slip all the ones you don't want to be that color (when you slip a purl you bring the yarn to the front first, and when you slip a knit you bring the yarn to the back first, that way the floats go inside the two layers).

I've done it the other way, holding both yarns at once, and found that pretty slow too. I don't know for sure if every doubleknit project can be done one yarn at a time (this is only my second doubleknit project) but I like it better this way I think.

Oh, I was JUST looking at this pattern. Is it Vice Versa from Ravelry? I don't really understand her instructions though. Wouldn't it just be easier to knit/purl the two colors across the needle at once instead of working across twice? :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

I'm working on a doubleknit scarf right now:

I only hold one yarn at a time though. You basically just knit or purl whichever stitches you want to be that color, and slip all the ones you don't want to be that color (when you slip a purl you bring the yarn to the front first, and when you slip a knit you bring the yarn to the back first, that way the floats go inside the two layers).

I've done it the other way, holding both yarns at once, and found that pretty slow too. I don't know for sure if every doubleknit project can be done one yarn at a time (this is only my second doubleknit project) but I like it better this way I think.

God drat I know I have enough scarves, but I really want to make that one. :ohdear: What's the pattern?

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Oh sorry, yes - it's vice versa. Nice pattern.

Niblet, you can work both colors at once, but it goes something like: with both yarns in back, k one stitch purple. Bring both yarns to front and purl one stitch white. Bring both yarns to back and knit one stitch purple. And on and on like that. For me personally, it's much faster to work with one at a time.

I don't know why, I work with two yarns at once doing colorwork all the time, but eh.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I don't use them for stranded colorwork, but for double knitting, the little knitting thimble things are great, either the wound wire kind or the plastic clippy kind.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Made a comment about needing to start my Christmas knitting soon, and my partner replied, "If it makes it any easier, you could knit me something for Christmas too."

Yes, because adding yet ANOTHER project to an already teetering pile will make my life SO much easier, thank you darling. Dickhead.

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!

left_unattended posted:

Made a comment about needing to start my Christmas knitting soon, and my partner replied, "If it makes it any easier, you could knit me something for Christmas too."

Yes, because adding yet ANOTHER project to an already teetering pile will make my life SO much easier, thank you darling. Dickhead.

The logic. It burns.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Does anyone have a good set of images for chart symbols? Especially standard cable symbols with maximum number of variations. I need them. I need them FOR SCIENCE. (hopefully science that the thread will like)

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

ackapoo posted:

The logic. It burns.

He genuinely thought he was being helpful :downs:.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

left_unattended posted:

He genuinely thought he was being helpful :downs:.

Knitting is your hobby, right? So you'll enjoy making them gifts! :downs:

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

left_unattended posted:

Make him a noose.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I just finished a pair of fingerless gloves I started for my fiance earlier this year. I tried making these gloves for myself and they turned out super huge, but they fit his giant man hands perfectly.

I started on these sometime after Christmas because I had yarn leftover from another project, but it was only enough to make one glove. By the time I finally got more, the weather started turning warm so I put them on hold. Didn't stop him from asking me "hey is this the yarn?" every time we went to the craft store, and neither did reminding him that I already had the yarn. Finally caved and started the second glove last night and finished it over a few hours of watching Youtube. Used two strands of Vickie Howell Sheep(ish) to make them super cozy and warm. I think the thumbs are off from each other by one row, but you can't really tell and I'm not frogging this poo poo. He probably wouldn't care anyway. :colbert:

MarsDragon posted:

Does anyone have a good set of images for chart symbols? Especially standard cable symbols with maximum number of variations. I need them. I need them FOR SCIENCE. (hopefully science that the thread will like)

No, but I have this FOR SCIENCE pattern with lots of cables in it: http://www.twosheep.com/helix/

That has been in my to-do list for years, but I know I would never finish it. :ohdear:

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you
Started my first pair of knitted socks, and oh boy is it a shift in gears to go from 1 crochet hook to 4 little needles. I feel like I am all thumbs.

What is the average time to complete a pair of socks? 300 years? 4?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Zratha posted:

Started my first pair of knitted socks, and oh boy is it a shift in gears to go from 1 crochet hook to 4 little needles. I feel like I am all thumbs.

What is the average time to complete a pair of socks? 300 years? 4?

First-time sock buddies :whatup:

Wait, have you never knit anything before, only crocheted? :stare:

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you
I have knit before, thank god, just never in the round. I would have killed myself by now if I hadn't.

When my boyfriend saw how slow it was going he said "Why are you doing that? Can socks not be crocheted or something?"

He doesn't get it.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Really depends on the pattern and needle size, I think. My first pair were actually yoga socks, so I didn't have to worry about the toes or heels, and they were on US3 needles. They look really dorky, but I like wearing them around the house. They keep my feet warm but not too warm, you don't slide around on the floor, and you don't get that gross "my feet have been in socks all day" feeling. They're also great for wearing to bed when it gets cold. Mine turned out a bit shorter than the pattern though, because I was using up remnants from my friend's stash.

http://www.yarnspirations.com/pattern/knitting/yoga-socks

mcknitknot
Sep 3, 2013

Ask me how Chick-fil-A is a
four star restaurant
:getin:

Wish I had a reaction pic of my face when I saw these!:swoon: LOVE THEM!!!! Starting project now! Scuse me while I ransack my yarn! :allears:

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Mizufusion posted:

No, but I have this FOR SCIENCE pattern with lots of cables in it: http://www.twosheep.com/helix/

That has been in my to-do list for years, but I know I would never finish it. :ohdear:

I've actually made that! Unfortunately even with the border it curled up (EVERYTHING DOES THIS WHY EVEN BOTHER WITH THE BORDER) so I don't wear it as much as my binary scarf, but it's right in the closet for when I feel like taking it out.

This probably has enough symbols to get me started, at least. Thanks!

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

So I just learned the slingshot cast on and I feel like a GODDAMNED WIZARD now when casting on. I only knew the awful one where you work every stitch twice and it takes forever and looks awful so now all I want to do is sit in public and cast things onto needles.

:smug: Oh this? Just making stitches with my thumb and a single needle, nbd.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

fuzzy_logic posted:

So I just learned the slingshot cast on and I feel like a GODDAMNED WIZARD now when casting on.

That is just the long tail cast on. I wish there weren't a billion names for the same thing in knitting, it's really confusing.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Long tail was the first cast on I ever learned and now I feel like I missed out on a bunch of hilariously complicated and unintuitive methods to be flummoxed by.

ironveins
Nov 24, 2007
They like you better framed and dried.
Have any of you experienced Ravelry fatigue? I really want to start working on a new project but the thought of combing through patterns makes me feel slightly ill. I've gone through patterns I have stored or queue but nothing's striking me as particularly fun to work. Maybe I'll stumble upon a hat pattern and decide that I need to do it.

I just finished working on a Saroyan shawl/scarf thing using Noro Kureyon but have yet to block it. It's too long for the ironing board or couch. Has anyone tried using a yoga mat to block?

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

ironveins posted:

Have any of you experienced Ravelry fatigue? I really want to start working on a new project but the thought of combing through patterns makes me feel slightly ill. I've gone through patterns I have stored or queue but nothing's striking me as particularly fun to work. Maybe I'll stumble upon a hat pattern and decide that I need to do it.

I just finished working on a Saroyan shawl/scarf thing using Noro Kureyon but have yet to block it. It's too long for the ironing board or couch. Has anyone tried using a yoga mat to block?

I've used foam mat tiles like these for blocking. They hold pins well and being able to reshape them to suit the project is pretty great.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
I use the giant cardboard box that my TV came in for blocking. I can keep it behind the bed and then bring it out for my blocking

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"

Dead Cow posted:

I use the giant cardboard box that my TV came in for blocking. I can keep it behind the bed and then bring it out for my blocking

How does that work? Does the cardboard not get wet and fall apart? I'm asking this seriously, as I'm looking for good ideas for surfaces to use for blocking.

Also, u have never blocked anything because up till now it was mainly washcloths and scarce. However, lately I've been making some cowls/neckwarmers. Any ideas on how to block them?

Edit: also how would you block socks?

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

wodan22 posted:

How does that work? Does the cardboard not get wet and fall apart? I'm asking this seriously, as I'm looking for good ideas for surfaces to use for blocking.

Also, u have never blocked anything because up till now it was mainly washcloths and scarce. However, lately I've been making some cowls/neckwarmers. Any ideas on how to block them?

Edit: also how would you block socks?

I have some sock blockers I got at WEBS, they're pretty cool. You can also make your own out of wire hangers pretty easily (if you can find wire hangers).

Does anyone know who invented intarsia? I need to know for name cursing purposes. I'm swatching an argyle cardigan for my nephew.

Seriously, intarsia is clearly the product of a diseased mind. God drat.

Avalinka
Nov 4, 2009
I just realised right at the end of making a striped baby cardigan that the 'cream' wool I was using (and had used in stripes on 2 other baby cardigans that have already been given away)was in fact some cream balls and some white balls. I don't know how I did it, I bought them all at the same time. I'm pretending I haven't seen it, because I'd have to unravel the whole thing because of where I changed balls. (That said, it's now in the naughty corner, even though I should be seaming it and getting it out of my house as soon as I can so I don't change my mind)

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

While we are on the subject of blocking, I am currently making my first blanket. How do people go about blocking something big like a blanket? What can I use to block it on? My main concerns are that I may not own anything large enough to place a whole blanket on to block it, and also I live in an apartment, so space is limited. Any suggestions?

mcknitknot
Sep 3, 2013

four star restaurant

wodan22 posted:

While we are on the subject of blocking, I am currently making my first blanket. How do people go about blocking something big like a blanket? What can I use to block it on? My main concerns are that I may not own anything large enough to place a whole blanket on to block it, and also I live in an apartment, so space is limited. Any suggestions?

Lay some towels down on your bed in the morning then stretch out the wet (but not too wet) blanket to the desired proportions over the bed and voila by evening you have a blocked blanket!

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

mcknitknot posted:

Lay some towels down on your bed in the morning then stretch out the wet (but not too wet) blanket to the desired proportions over the bed and voila by evening you have a blocked blanket!

That is awesome! Should I be sticking pins or something in the mattress to hold it in place? Or is there some other method to keep it stretched out?

mcknitknot
Sep 3, 2013

four star restaurant
It should stay pretty well on its own but you can pin it if you'd like.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

I was going to suggest blocking wires and a wall, but the bed is probably a better idea.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

I do the whole lightly squeeze the water out with a towel before i block, so its damp not sopping. A little bit of moisture gets on the cardboard but not enough to make it warp

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I had a skein and a bit left over of this beautiful green Cascade 220 after I made my cabled scarf, so I figured I'd look for a hat pattern I could use that yarn with, and I found a nice one on Ravelry.

And I just pulled out 140+ stitches because I hosed up an increase. Only just now got back to where I was. :negative:

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
I am so tired of making hats. I'm churning them out as gifts for Xmas. Knit knit knit knit k2tog repeat until the sun burns out.

Last week my mom gave me a pair of socks her mom knitted her as a gift probably in the late 1970s. Though my grandmother probably couldn't knit a single stitch today they somehow inspired me and I think I may end up venturing into socks. Yay, more needles to buy!

However, the same grandmother was extremely appreciative of the hat I made her and sent her early, she does still recognize the work that goes into hand knitting. I am told she wears it almost all the time (I am freezing in Georgia already, New Jersey must be awful!)

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

two forty posted:

I am so tired of making hats. I'm churning them out as gifts for Xmas. Knit knit knit knit k2tog repeat until the sun burns out.

Last week my mom gave me a pair of socks her mom knitted her as a gift probably in the late 1970s. Though my grandmother probably couldn't knit a single stitch today they somehow inspired me and I think I may end up venturing into socks. Yay, more needles to buy!

However, the same grandmother was extremely appreciative of the hat I made her and sent her early, she does still recognize the work that goes into hand knitting. I am told she wears it almost all the time (I am freezing in Georgia already, New Jersey must be awful!)

Speaking of which, I am also sick of making hats...and scarves...and cowls. My winter focus is going to be on blankets (afghans, throws, etc.) and socks. I've already started my first blanket. Anybody have a good basic, simple, no frills pattern for socks (geared towards someone who has never made a sock before) that they want to share. I wear a (US) size 13 men's shoes (so a lot of the beginner patterns on Ravelry are useless for me), so I need something that is either not size specific (like you measure your leg and foot) or which goes up to a size 13.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
Hands down (or feet up?) the best sock pattern for a complete noob is Silver's Sock Class. There are three weight options and she walks you through each step clearly. Here's the Ravelry page, too. edit: it's also one of those recipes where you knit til it fits your measurements.

And of course the page is down right now, gently caress. Hopefully it's not for long.

Also of note there are cuff down, so if you'd rather do toe up, I've never done those so I wouldn't know.

zamiel fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Oct 10, 2013

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

zamiel posted:

Hands down (or feet up?) the best sock pattern for a complete noob is Silver's Sock Class. There are three weight options and she walks you through each step clearly. Here's the Ravelry page, too. edit: it's also one of those recipes where you knit til it fits your measurements.

And of course the page is down right now, gently caress. Hopefully it's not for long.

Also of note there are cuff down, so if you'd rather do toe up, I've never done those so I wouldn't know.

This is a great pattern, and I think I will make sure to distribute it to my knitting club because people have been asking about making socks lately and I've been having a hell of a time finding a super simple pattern. Thank you for posting it!

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

zamiel posted:

That is amazing! They you so much.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.

wodan22 posted:

Speaking of which, I am also sick of making hats...and scarves...and cowls. My winter focus is going to be on blankets (afghans, throws, etc.) and socks. I've already started my first blanket. Anybody have a good basic, simple, no frills pattern for socks (geared towards someone who has never made a sock before) that they want to share. I wear a (US) size 13 men's shoes (so a lot of the beginner patterns on Ravelry are useless for me), so I need something that is either not size specific (like you measure your leg and foot) or which goes up to a size 13.

I generally do toe up socks and just knit until they fit me, then make a short row heel and the cuff. Then I complain about the heel being too shallow and the cuff too stretchy, and that yarn was splitty anyway, so it's in time out forever with a bad case of second sock syndrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

My first socks were from the Silver Sock class and it was super super easy. Once you do it that way it makes using other patterns way easier to understand since everything is broken down into parts.