Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Slaan posted:

PHWOOOOW! PHWOOOOW! PHWOOW!

There is a reason I don't play Mammoth/Elephant nations. Or if I do, I don't use them. :colbert:

Shhh, little monkeys. I still love you. :(

You're missing out. One of the greatest things to use the new formations for is making a line of mammoths/elephants that stretches across the battlefield. Not only does it look cool, but it makes it harder for enemies to surround them and thus stab them to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Ive had the game permamuted ever since i got bored with the new music.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I wish I could choose which songs I wanted it to play and which I didn't want it to play.

(Santa Maria song :frogout:)

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

NinjaDebugger posted:

Pretty sure it means that trample was causing sound effects at a constant volume regardless of the sound effect setting, nerds.

Working as intended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DkykHSSz20

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Is this what hell sounds like.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I'm thinking of doing a mod based on the X-COM aliens next.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Useful for learning about #secondshape and all that with Crysalid zombies, I suppose, but on the other hand, ehhhh. I know cultural parasitism has a fine heritage in Dominions, but I'm not sure how you fit nineties sci-fi aliens into a world of crossbow wielders.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I can just throw out plasma and such for more conventional weaponry. Sectoid and Ethereal mages, Muton and Snakemen commanders. Specializes mainly in fire and astral magic.
There was Dominions 3000, so I think I could do the opposite.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 2, 2013

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Sectoids everywhere, blood magic to create freaks such as silicoids. "Terror Site".

It makes as much sense as the Super Mario Bros mod, I suppose. Which is: it could be fun. We've already got beings from the stars from Ryleh, so there are aliens.

Air (trapeze) might makes sense, or a unique construction spell/racial artifact if possible (ufo).

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
IS the AI any better? I'd like to get this but I'm broke at the moment and not sure if I want to try MP.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Lorini posted:

IS the AI any better? I'd like to get this but I'm broke at the moment and not sure if I want to try MP.
Everyone will tell you the same thing so let me start it off. Dominions is way more fun MP than SP. This is because the way you play in MP you're able to use a wider variety of strategies because diplomacy is an actual thing. In SP you can only hold something by force which means you're gonna spend a lot more gold on preserving land, or you spend it on large armies/thugs to rush to the capital of the AI and deal with them. Its essentially the same game in SP every time you play to some degree. SP is for testing expansion strategies or messing around.

AI seems better than Dom3 but not by a lot.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
The AI in Dom4 does very rudimentary battle placement and in theory is supposed to be better at designing pretenders and picking recruits (in a brute force kind of way, because troops that suck have been given #ainorec tags). It still isn't much of a challenge, unfortunately.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
The issue for me and MP is that I'm honestly not as serious a player as many others are. I'll certainly get my turns in on time and stuff like that, but I'm not going to spend two hours agonizing over turns and this game seems to demand that to have much enjoyment MP. At the same time I love strategy games and micromanagy type strategy games as well.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Lorini posted:

The issue for me and MP is that I'm honestly not as serious a player as many others are. I'll certainly get my turns in on time and stuff like that, but I'm not going to spend two hours agonizing over turns and this game seems to demand that to have much enjoyment MP. At the same time I love strategy games and micromanagy type strategy games as well.

I can say myself, that even in the lategame I have never spend more than 45 minutes on a turn. While the game is complex, and turns can take alot longer than in other strategy games, they dont take hours each.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
The new repeat recruitment option and mages automatically researching helps as well in Dom4. R'lyeh and dead Ermor/Lemuria are still a pain when it comes to shuffling your freespawn around, though.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Roland Jones posted:

You're missing out. One of the greatest things to use the new formations for is making a line of mammoths/elephants that stretches across the battlefield. Not only does it look cool, but it makes it harder for enemies to surround them and thus stab them to death.

In one of my first battles against AI-independents I got massacred with my usual blob of units. In the rematch I organized my spear-carriers in a long, thin line across the battlefield. The line marched forward, crashed into the unorganized indep-blob and enveloped them, stabbing them from all sides at the end. It was glorious! Zero casualties! :black101:

wshngmchn
Jul 14, 2013

wrath pride ignorance

Lorini posted:

The biggest problem with the AI, in my opinion, is that it can't counter specific situations. Its army composition does not get very deep, so you can mostly get away with lazy attrition. Late game, especially, is very uneventful repetitive. It's also completely incapable of prioritizing thrones.

wshngmchn fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 2, 2013

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I'm trying to figure out Late Age Caelum in Dominions 4. Harab Elders are StR and Cap-Only, and their troops get MASSIVE fatigue due to their armor. Their archers might as well be shooting rubber bands due to it being late age and shortbows. Roland Jones's line of mammoths work pretty well for expansion, but is also pretty expensive.
Construction 4 brings out earth boots, and that syncs well with your Iron Crafters, but that means you have to level alteration to get any decent earth combat spells.
Any suggestions?

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

jBrereton posted:

Useful for learning about #secondshape and all that with Crysalid zombies, I suppose, but on the other hand, ehhhh. I know cultural parasitism has a fine heritage in Dominions, but I'm not sure how you fit nineties sci-fi aliens into a world of crossbow wielders.

We've already got twenties sci-fi aliens, so nineties sci-fi aliens aren't too far off.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Microcline posted:

We've already got twenties sci-fi aliens, so nineties sci-fi aliens aren't too far off.
We also have two different "Western Roman Empire at/near it's fall" in the same age:v:

Actually that would make a neat disciple game, one side is all Ermors and descendants, other side is all Fantasy-<place that fought Rome>. This would require an all-ages mod but then you'd have

EA Ermor
MA Ermor
MA Sceleria
LA Lemuria

vs

EA Marverni
EA Berytos
EA Ulm
EA C'tis(would fit better if they had a "and now we're literally Ptolemaic reptillians" era but close enough)

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Lorini posted:

You're in the same boat I've been in for years. I would love a Dominions-type game that was really fun in SP but they just don't exist right now. Maybe next year with several kickstarter games releasing but until then... Dominions is where its at.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Will the game raise in price after leaving "beta"?

I'm still not sure what's new in this version. Everything seems quite the same.

Are goons mass migrating to it? Might grab it later on if the price isn't raised.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Yeah, there are enough quality of life fixes built in that I can't see many goons wanting to stick with Dom3. Stuff like being able to shift-click troops and view both incoming and stationary positioning in the Y-menu is really nice

No idea on the price but I don't think it will go up after release - there was a "preorder discount" that went away that ended sometime around the original launch date

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

amuayse posted:

I'm trying to figure out Late Age Caelum in Dominions 4. Harab Elders are StR and Cap-Only, and their troops get MASSIVE fatigue due to their armor. Their archers might as well be shooting rubber bands due to it being late age and shortbows. Roland Jones's line of mammoths work pretty well for expansion, but is also pretty expensive.
Construction 4 brings out earth boots, and that syncs well with your Iron Crafters, but that means you have to level alteration to get any decent earth combat spells.
Any suggestions?

In dom3 the answer was "la caelum kind of sucks but they can rain of stones and that is awesome." I would guess it's still pretty similar.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

The Three Moves Ahead Podcast talked with some Ilwinter guys about Dominions 4. It's worth a listen.

http://threemovesahead.libsyn.com/episode-234-seeking-new-god

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

amuayse posted:

Any suggestions?

LA Caelum is bad. There is no getting around it. All their mages suck except their cap-only ones, and Caelum's troops have always sucked. LA it's more noticeable though because not only do they have the problems Caelum has always had, comparatively their equipment is terrible; like their archers, their melee infantry are equipped for EA rather than LA. Not that era-appropriate gear would fix all their other problems, but it certainly doesn't help.

Rain of Stones is fun and all, but honestly my advice is to play a different nation. EA and MA Caelum are great if you play them right, but LA Caelum is just not good.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 3, 2013

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

boho posted:

I wish I could choose which songs I wanted it to play and which I didn't want it to play.

(Santa Maria song :frogout:)

You can replace any of the sound files. I've never done it personally, but a lot of the guys on DomMods forum switch the sound effects around. Don't know how it would work with the music, but the ability is there.

dominions4/data/rawsound

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
LA Man seems pretty interesting now with none of their mages being StR and being drain-resistant. Recruitable longspear men and longbows/crossbows are also useful for expansion.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 3, 2013

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
RE: Xcom mod

They'd definitely be a blood/arcane, possibly with some earth magic in order to facilitate primitive Cyberdisks(Mechanodisks?) and Sectopods. An ethereal pretender in the vein of the cheap mage human pretenders would be a nice touch, I think. Maybe a little lore touch about how they're sacrificing humans to fuel their war effort, instead of to the gods or something.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
Does anyone know when we might get a DB dump for Dom4? Going through and making spreadsheet by hand with all the mage stats is becoming painful.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

jng2058 posted:

The Three Moves Ahead Podcast talked with some Ilwinter guys about Dominions 4. It's worth a listen.

http://threemovesahead.libsyn.com/episode-234-seeking-new-god

Listened to this, this morning. I was hoping they'd say a bunch of nations names so I could know how to pronounce them. Then they didn't know how to pronounce Berytos.

Also, it sounds like they want to move the game towards a Total war style, real time battle, non province map strategy game. While I would buy a fantasy Total war style game set in the dominions universe, I love the board game-esque maps and hands off battles of the current games, so I hope they don't do this.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Eagle King art. It's a bit sad that most of them died in the EA though. :(

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Yes, the perfect marriage of GUI and AI, Dominions: Total War.

wshngmchn
Jul 14, 2013

wrath pride ignorance
I didn't get the impression that they're actually planning to move toward real time battle in Dominions, just that they're itching to do something like that generally because they're sick of programming turn-based poo poo.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

rzal posted:

Listened to this, this morning. I was hoping they'd say a bunch of nations names so I could know how to pronounce them. Then they didn't know how to pronounce Berytos.

Also, it sounds like they want to move the game towards a Total war style, real time battle, non province map strategy game. While I would buy a fantasy Total war style game set in the dominions universe, I love the board game-esque maps and hands off battles of the current games, so I hope they don't do this.

Maybe they could make a Total War style game a spin-off? Also, correct me if if I'm wrong, but there doesn't seem to a special reason they couldn't make the battles themselves real-time and still be hands-off.

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010
In a test game playing around with LA Man, I discovered an event basically telling me to send a magister or other mage to a specific province; once there, an event told me basically 'give him some guys and get them to patrol here'. A third event in the series gave me a Daughter of Avalon (N2 sacred mage) after I patrolled (forty guys and an indie commander, and the magister arcane, for three consecutive turns), and also at that time gave me some warnings about dark consequences (but nothing has shown up yet). Has this always been a possible 'thing' that could happen? It seems pretty nice, as otherwise you end up recruiting indie shamans to spend your nature gem income (having no other nature gem guys natively). I looked at a couple of old Dom3 guides for LA Man and they didn't mention the event, so I think it might be new? Regardless, breaking into nature with N2 instead of N1 helps a bit when climbing the "forge boosters" ladder since you don't have to empower from N1 to N2 to forge a Thistle Mace. I will play more of the test game tomorrow and see if any mysterious consequences show up...

In other news, the tax and castle strategy is pretty defunct, but Magisters Arcane for low gold costs with decent research/turn are a good compensation. Take drain and good other scales and laugh. Magisters can do a lot of different communion spells, including Wind Guide and Flaming Arrows for a very bow-heavy nation archery buffs, and some really awesome evocations - thunder strike, gift from heavens, etc. etc. They still are as vulnerable and weak as they were before, but they are significantly more expendable, and you can afford enough of them to make decent communions.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Those event chains are a new thing yeah with various endings possible i think such as finding the grove dead and not getting the free mage.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Great Gray Shrike posted:

In other news, the tax and castle strategy is pretty defunct, but Magisters Arcane for low gold costs with decent research/turn are a good compensation. Take drain and good other scales and laugh. Magisters can do a lot of different communion spells, including Wind Guide and Flaming Arrows for a very bow-heavy nation archery buffs, and some really awesome evocations - thunder strike, gift from heavens, etc. etc. They still are as vulnerable and weak as they were before, but they are significantly more expendable, and you can afford enough of them to make decent communions.

Was that strategy ever actually funct in the first place? I remember it failing miserably whenever I saw it attempted, but that might have just been poor execution.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
The main part is overtaxing, really. Castle spam and castle defending with bonuses is kind of stupid and a waste of resources. Overtax -> conquer works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Kenlon posted:

Does anyone know when we might get a DB dump for Dom4? Going through and making spreadsheet by hand with all the mage stats is becoming painful.

Edi said he'll be doing one once the mod manual is finished, so 2-3 weeks. I would do it myself, but I'm too lazy busy right now.

• Locked thread