Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I was watching the old Police Squad! episodes on Youtube when I found out Netflix has all the Naked Gun movies.

If you haven't seen the Naked Gun movies go watch the Naked Gun movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Or, for that matter, Police Squad.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

david_a posted:

Hellraiser II is a wonderful 80s sequel. Dumber, grosser, and with a scene that should have been among the greatest things ever put on film, but sadly wasn't. Chanard v Pinhead I do love it for that awesome sleazy-80s-horror-grainy-film-stock vibe. :allears: The very last scene is really loving stupid, though.

I'd be interested to hear why you think it's "dumber". I think it's far smarter in terms of marrying its themes to its narrative and characters than the unfocused original.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
So yesterday I watched the first Hellraiser movie, today I watched part 2, 3 and 4 (watching 5 right now). The first and second are the good ones, part three is... something else. Not bad, but just something else. Part 4 takes place in the future.

Yea, this is a weird series of movies, but so far I'm enjoying myself. Part 5 is great so far, some kind of detective movie. And I know what was watched when Aphex Twin made their music.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Grawl posted:

And I know what was watched when Aphex Twin made their music.

Off topic but AT is one dude.

My dad is currently bingeing on the original Killing, it gets the Dad seal of approval.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

So did a huge deal go through in the past week? Sept. had almost nothing new added for any of the shows I've watched, but now in the past week, they have added new seasons to four shows I am watching. I was so desperate for anything just a few weeks back, now I am flooded and want to start them all!... First world problems.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Khorne Flakes posted:

So did a huge deal go through in the past week? Sept. had almost nothing new added for any of the shows I've watched, but now in the past week, they have added new seasons to four shows I am watching. I was so desperate for anything just a few weeks back, now I am flooded and want to start them all!... First world problems.

Fall shows generally premiere mid-September, and the previous season is released on DVD (and therefore Netflix) around the same time.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

I'd be interested to hear why you think it's "dumber". I think it's far smarter in terms of marrying its themes to its narrative and characters than the unfocused original.

I wouldn't go so far as to say smarter/better than the original, but it's definitely hugely above average for an '80s horror sequel.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

DeimosRising posted:

I haven't seen any Hellraiser movie in over 11 years so I don't think I could give very coherent reasons.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Man, I'm wishing strong right now that they'd bring back Spongebob. I need some Squidward in my life.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Anonymous Robot posted:

Man, I'm wishing strong right now that they'd bring back Spongebob. I need some Squidward in my life.
Same here, though at least Amazon Prime Instant still has it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I'm only now just watching Continuum from my queue, and man I should have watched this show sooner. It's like Ghost in the Shell meets Minority Report meets Terminator meets Looper. Also, Rachel Nichols :allears:

I binged Season 1, and it was pretty great. Story is solid, characters are likable, and the production value/quality is way better than most TV shows I've watched recently (ahem, Agents of Shield). Starting Season 2 tomorrow. Excited :dance:

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I've been doing the same (and yeah Rachel!). I like how it's filmed and takes place in Vancouver.
As another 'wish it was on Netflix' show, I first saw her on The Inside about 8 years ago. In the usual Fox fashion it was canceled quickly and I don't think it got a DVD release.

I visited my parents the other day and was happily surprised to see them watching Life. I'm glad the two seasons of are still available.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

AzureSkys posted:

I visited my parents the other day and was happily surprised to see them watching Life. I'm glad the two seasons of are still available.

I was so pleasantly surprised by that show. Such a shame it was cancelled right as it was getting really good.

Also, who said King of the Hill was on Amazon Prime? It's not, you monster. :colbert: I don't even think they have all the seasons available to buy.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Continuum season one was pretty good, and I look forward to season 2 on my long list of poo poo to watch this month. I enjoyed Life early on, but it slowly started to decay and when they did the Prince of Persia hacker episode, I gave up completely.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Also, who said King of the Hill was on Amazon Prime? It's not, you monster. :colbert: I don't even think they have all the seasons available to buy.

I swear it was available two days ago! They do have it streaming for purchase:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00628TGF4/ref=atv_dp_season_select?ie=UTF8&redirect=true

I guess they removed it for prime members yesterday though. :(

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Khorne Flakes posted:

Continuum season one was pretty good, and I look forward to season 2 on my long list of poo poo to watch this month.

Season 1 wasn't bad, I really enjoyed it. But Season 2 blows it out of the loving water. It's like they came back as a completely different show. It quickly became one of my favorite scifi shows.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

calandryll posted:

Season 1 wasn't bad, I really enjoyed it. But Season 2 blows it out of the loving water. It's like they came back as a completely different show. It quickly became one of my favorite scifi shows.

Damnit, my hopes are super high now. Haha. I'll probably binge Season 2 over the weekend.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Yeah, Continuum is really quite solid for a show of its type - season 1 has a lot of terrible 90s moments (the leet-hacker teen sidekick, that one episode with the deadly VR game), but it gets great by the end. I just finished the first episode of season 2, and I'm loving the direction the show is going in.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I wouldn't go so far as to say smarter/better than the original, but it's definitely hugely above average for an '80s horror sequel.

Yeah I think we've had this argument before - I think the first one is really weird, because in a movie about obsession and the transcendence of experience, no one is obsessed with anything or gives a poo poo about sensual experience except the female villain. Even the male villain is all tell, no show. He just acts like a generic bad dude. The second one gives the main character a real motivation and uses the first film's superior secondary villain as it's lead and that helps a lot.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Hewlett posted:

Yeah, Continuum is really quite solid for a show of its type - season 1 has a lot of terrible 90s moments (the leet-hacker teen sidekick, that one episode with the deadly VR game), but it gets great by the end. I just finished the first episode of season 2, and I'm loving the direction the show is going in.

Just wait till the last episode! I am really curious where they are going to go with it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Hewlett posted:

Yeah, Continuum is really quite solid for a show of its type - season 1 has a lot of terrible 90s moments (the leet-hacker teen sidekick, that one episode with the deadly VR game)

The leet-hacker teen sidekick character arc is pretty interesting though, unlike most other implementations of the type. He's like Steve Wozniak fused with John Connor :haw:

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

So the second season of it is up already? I just finished the first season like last week and was disappointed that there wasn't more. It had some good moments and was only getting better I thought.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Man, why did no one tell me Evil Dead II got added to Instant recently? It's been a while since I last saw it, but it's still fun as hell. I kinda prefer the no-holds-barred, vicious tone the remake has (I never thought I'd be saying that).

But still, you can't gently caress with Evil Dead II.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 5, 2013

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

calandryll posted:

Uhhhhg, why tell me this. I've got over 50 hours in new season's added this week and every single one sounds like it's going to be great.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

calandryll posted:

Just wait till the last episode! I am really curious where they are going to go with it.

Fuuuck, I'm 5 episodes into Season 2, just about to start episode 6 (I'm all night binging on this) and god drat this show. God drat. It's so good.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

teagone posted:

The leet-hacker teen sidekick character arc is pretty interesting though, unlike most other implementations of the type. He's like Steve Wozniak fused with John Connor :haw:

Oh yeah, I'm totally fine with him now, but I remember rolling my eyes at all the technobabble he spurts out in season 1.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Hewlett posted:

Oh yeah, I'm totally fine with him now, but I remember rolling my eyes at all the technobabble he spurts out in season 1.

True. He grows on you :)

I just plowed through Season 2 and holy gently caress that ending :psyduck::supaburn:

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I watched Top of the Lake on the recommendation of various people in this thread, and I have to say it's pretty great. If I described the show to somebody it might sound kind of typical, but it's not, it's beautifully different in a way I can't put my finger on. There scenario seems a little emotionally cheap at first, but then those emotions are given gravity and become assets instead of excuses.

People compare it to Twin Peaks, and it exceeds it in at least one way: people actually go into the scary forest instead of just talking about trees. Both shows have the quality of "Is the plot moving fast or really slow? I can't tell."

About to watch the final episode. Pretty sure I'll feel satisfied instead of cheated, which is hard for a mystery-type show.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Spoilers for the end of Top of the Lake, so don't read this until you've finished it.

I was fine with the ending, but I read someone somewhere say something that I think I agree with - it would've been really interesting if Robin had been wrong about Al and if she had shot him basically without any reason (aside from him being a creepy motherfucker). Shooting him then finding out he's been running a rape cave under his house and stuff felt too neat and clean. It's like life has presented a tidy little package to her of a bad guy to shoot and children to save and then she's a hero and now she can get over her trauma once and for all and live happily ever after. So much of the series was about her working through her personal issues that ending it on a 'and now she's awesome' note seemed a little cheap. Why not leave her as ambiguously broken, potentially guilt-ridden about sort of having maybe murdered a dude? I mean, she wouldn't obviously have been in the wrong, and the whole thing would've been more confused and gray, which is exactly what the rest of the show was, and which was often why the rest of the show was so great.

But yes, that's a really great show and I highly recommend it to everyone.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Canopus250 posted:

So the second season of it is up already? I just finished the first season like last week and was disappointed that there wasn't more. It had some good moments and was only getting better I thought.

This! And I can't check because we're currently moving to another state, but if it's on the I have something to look forward to!

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

teagone posted:

I just plowed through Season 2 and holy gently caress that ending :psyduck::supaburn:

Told you it was great. I am really curious to see where season 3 goes.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Special When Lit, a documentary about pinball, expires on the 20th. It's not amazing but it is enjoyable, focusing on a survey of pinball history, manufacturers, collectors, and competitive players. I really enjoyed the credits sequences, actually, they were really neatly designed to pop out of famous pinball backglasses and looked great. I learned a couple of things, like that pinball was illegal in most of America for 30 years, and that pinball outperformed the movie industry for a long time. A solid watch while you're doing something else (which is usually how I watch "soft" documentaries like this).

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Top of the Lake footnote: I spent the first half of the series wondering why all the actors had such bad Aussie accents.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Special When Lit, a documentary about pinball, expires on the 20th. It's not amazing but it is enjoyable, focusing on a survey of pinball history, manufacturers, collectors, and competitive players. I really enjoyed the credits sequences, actually, they were really neatly designed to pop out of famous pinball backglasses and looked great. I learned a couple of things, like that pinball was illegal in most of America for 30 years, and that pinball outperformed the movie industry for a long time. A solid watch while you're doing something else (which is usually how I watch "soft" documentaries like this).

Special When Lit annoyed me because it seemed more interested in poking fun of its interview subjects than actually getting into the history of pinball. I mean, I have never made a documentary, but if I wanted my interview subject to be taken seriously I might tell them at some point that their t-shirt has hiked up and exposed a six-inch swath of sickly pale belly fat. Or maybe not edit the interview so that the phrase "We like to rock and roll all night" is followed up by a wide-angle shot of the guy all alone playing a muted pinball machine in the corner of a dimly lit room.

There's really nothing about pinball that you can't gleam from reading a Wikipedia article, and the interviews are all selected and cut for the purpose of mocking the subjects. It's just kind of dreadful and condescending.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

The Morton Downey Jr. doc Evocateur is up. If the name doesn't ring a bell, he was a right-wing psycho TV host who was insanely popular for about a year in the early 90s. He's kinda like Rush Limbaugh and Jerry Springer kinda smashed together into one repulsive human being. Even if you're not familiar with him, it's probably worth a watch. I've been excited to see this for awhile, but the reviews have been split pretty much right down the middle on it.

Pierat
Mar 29, 2008
ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE THE BNP

DangerDummy! posted:

The Morton Downey Jr. doc Evocateur is up. If the name doesn't ring a bell, he was a right-wing psycho TV host who was insanely popular for about a year in the early 90s. He's kinda like Rush Limbaugh and Jerry Springer kinda smashed together into one repulsive human being. Even if you're not familiar with him, it's probably worth a watch. I've been excited to see this for awhile, but the reviews have been split pretty much right down the middle on it.

I saw Downey jr., documentary, and early 90s and thought you were talking about The Last Party. Although I think that might be on Hulu still.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Sarchasm posted:

Special When Lit annoyed me because it seemed more interested in poking fun of its interview subjects than actually getting into the history of pinball. I mean, I have never made a documentary, but if I wanted my interview subject to be taken seriously I might tell them at some point that their t-shirt has hiked up and exposed a six-inch swath of sickly pale belly fat. Or maybe not edit the interview so that the phrase "We like to rock and roll all night" is followed up by a wide-angle shot of the guy all alone playing a muted pinball machine in the corner of a dimly lit room.

There's really nothing about pinball that you can't gleam from reading a Wikipedia article, and the interviews are all selected and cut for the purpose of mocking the subjects. It's just kind of dreadful and condescending.

Yeah, I see you on all that.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Pierat posted:

I saw Downey jr., documentary, and early 90s and thought you were talking about The Last Party. Although I think that might be on Hulu still.

Dunno about that one. I was wrong about the timeline, though. He blew up in the late eighties. I remember being a bit older when he was popular.

edit: Just watched it. It was... okay. Considering the man they were documenting, it turned out to be a lot more of a sober film than I was expecting. I did forget just how synonymous he was with that whole wretched Tawana Brawley debacle though, and I never really considered how much later developments in his life and career mirrored it so eerily. I think that aspect of the movie was really the most interesting part of it.

It's an okay film to watch, if only because it demonstrates the cycle of absolute garbage the state of political demagoguery pop culture embraces so wholly on such a regular basis.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Oct 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierat
Mar 29, 2008
ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE THE BNP

DangerDummy! posted:

Dunno about that one. I was wrong about the timeline, though. He blew up in the late eighties. I remember being a bit older when he was popular.

edit: Just watched it. It was... okay. Considering the man they were documenting, it turned out to be a lot more of a sober film than I was expecting. I did forget just how synonymous he was with that whole wretched Tawana Brawley debacle though, and I never really considered how much later developments in his life and career mirrored it so eerily. I think that aspect of the movie was really the most interesting part of it.

It's an okay film to watch, if only because it demonstrates the cycle of absolute garbage the state of political demagoguery pop culture embraces so wholly on such a regular basis.

I liked all the parts where he did his weird Charlie Chaplin stuff in public. "Politics, politics, here's Robert Downey jr. acting as a goat"

• Locked thread