Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

I can no longer read the word magnets without automatically adding in "Bitch!" in my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
I can't read it without prefixing "loving".

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

jabby posted:

- Sarah's line 'You're terminated, fucker'. I know it's the 80's and we have to kill the bad guy with a pithy one-liner, but it just comes out of nowhere.
I think that's supposed to symbolise her transition from running screaming monsterbait to parent, trainer, and inspiration of the future saviour of mankind. Or I could be overthinking an 80s film about a murderous futurebot.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The last stunt in the Bourne Identity, when he jumps down a spiral staircase riding the back of a fat dude, shooting other dudes on the way down... it's just so schlocky and looks terrible compared to everything that came before.

Then he hobbles off into the night. Thank god those two nameless mooks are dead.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Splicer posted:

I think that's supposed to symbolise her transition from running screaming monsterbait to parent, trainer, and inspiration of the future saviour of mankind. Or I could be overthinking an 80s film about a murderous futurebot.

I think the main thing is that it's not supposed to be badass, she doesn't say it in a cocky way, it's just sort of an exclamation of defiance because she's terrified but intellectually she knows it's over, so she's just talking to keep herself together.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Tiggum posted:

I think the main thing is that it's not supposed to be badass, she doesn't say it in a cocky way, it's just sort of an exclamation of defiance because she's terrified but intellectually she knows it's over, so she's just talking to keep herself together.

I think it just rubs me up the wrong way because 'you're terminated' sounds too much like the one-liner someone would come up with if they were trying to think of something clever to say. It just doesn't seem like something that would pop into the head at that moment, especially given she only heard the word terminator the day before. And she doesn't seem like the kind of person to waste an extra second delivering a quip when she could be killing the murderous robot trying to rip her throat out.

Eh, it's a nitpick. I would probably be happier with her simply saying 'gently caress you' or delivering the line after triggering the press.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Maybe "you've been terminated" would've worked better if not a little more 80s-action-movie-cliche. I dunno. One liners are dumb.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CJacobs posted:

Maybe "you've been terminated" would've worked better if not a little more 80s-action-movie-cliche. I dunno. One liners are dumb.

Someone needs to see Commando.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

jabby posted:

I think it just rubs me up the wrong way because 'you're terminated' sounds too much like the one-liner someone would come up with if they were trying to think of something clever to say. It just doesn't seem like something that would pop into the head at that moment, especially given she only heard the word terminator the day before. And she doesn't seem like the kind of person to waste an extra second delivering a quip when she could be killing the murderous robot trying to rip her throat out.

Eh, it's a nitpick. I would probably be happier with her simply saying 'gently caress you' or delivering the line after triggering the press.

It sounds like you're spoiled by a generation of movies turning one-liners into mockery or sarcastic jokes. Speaking as someone who saw Terminator and movies like it on their original theatrical run, "You're terminated" is like the coolest loving poo poo ever. "80s action movie cliche" wasn't cliche when it was just action movies in the 80s, it became cliche when it was copied mockingly for the next 20 years.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

bobkatt013 posted:

Someone needs to see Commando.

The best one-liner ever.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Commando has so many it's impossible to pick one :(

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
In The Cabin In The Wood, why would the guys in charge have a loving button called Purge that releases all the monsters into their base? Yes, awesome scene, the elevator dings and all hell breaks loose, but it makes no sense for that button to even exist.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Cowslips Warren posted:

In The Cabin In The Wood, why would the guys in charge have a loving button called Purge that releases all the monsters into their base? Yes, awesome scene, the elevator dings and all hell breaks loose, but it makes no sense for that button to even exist.

Because it's cool.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Cowslips Warren posted:

It's for purging, duh. Yeah, it was pretty stupid, though to be quite honest, I enjoyed that film so much I let that slide.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

CJacobs posted:

Look at how wrong this person's opinion is everyone.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The poo poo that didn't happen thread has ruined one liners for me, I'm sorry. I can't listen to movie one liners anymore without inputting my own accompanying 'sighhhhhhhhhhhh'.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Celery Face posted:

I was watching Brokeback Mountain on Netflix and the scene where the two main characters have anal sex in a tent was pretty cringeworthy. I just kept wondering if the next scene would have them in the hospital.

Brokeback Mountain really is about the two stupidest people on Earth. The first scene that comes to mind is the one where they're getting fired for neglecting the sheep; I suspect the audience is intended to hate the boss for being a homophobe, but he's also entirely correct! loving in a tent is a terrible idea, but loving in a tent so much that you don't do your goddamn job is worse.

There's also the whole "fishing trip" segment, where the film establishes that, not only are these guys too stupid to do any fishing to shore up their cover story, they're too stupid to not start making out frantically in the parking lot of the apartment complex. I know love is irrational and all, but could the characters have acted a little less like dim middle-school kids?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I always heard that scene was loving in-tents!

:haw:

:ohdear:

My new irritation was while watching The Collector. Dude's like a psychotic Bob Vila, and somehow set up incredibly elaborate death traps in about 5 hours tops. When did he have time to kidnap the family while getting all that poo poo built?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Something that always bothers me is the way basically every character in every movie has a "cool car." I thought it was really refreshing that in Prisoners, Jake Gyllenhaal's character (a tough guy detective with a 100% solve rate) just drives a plain black Crown Victoria, while most movies would have him in some badass muscle car or something.

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

Coffee And Pie posted:

Something that always bothers me is the way basically every character in every movie has a "cool car." I thought it was really refreshing that in Prisoners, Jake Gyllenhaal's character (a tough guy detective with a 100% solve rate) just drives a plain black Crown Victoria, while most movies would have him in some badass muscle car or something.

The best turnaround of this I've seen is in Breaking Bad. Every car in that show is perfect shorthand for the person who drives it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My favorite running gag in Breaking Bad was the windshield on Walt's lovely car constantly getting smashed. :allears:

Edit: Fixed to be past tense. Aww man. :smith:

Alaster
Nov 18, 2006

Hanging just next to your door in the hallway is a painting of an EXQUISITE WIZARD. Your mother collects these awful things IRONICALLY.
Legolas: A red sun rises, blood has been spilled this night.

Common Legolas every sunrise is red, you are clearly making that up

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Alasdair Crawfish posted:

Legolas: A red sun rises, blood has been spilled this night.

Common Legolas every sunrise is red, you are clearly making that up

A hundred thousand people die every day, chances are someone's being murdered.

CJacobs posted:

My favorite running gag in Breaking Bad was the windshield on Walt's lovely car constantly getting smashed. :allears:

Edit: Fixed to be past tense. Aww man. :smith:

And eventually, as Walt gets replaced with Heisenburg, the infamous Aztek gets replaced with a Chrysler 300.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Coffee And Pie posted:

Yeah, but don't most cops drive Crown Victorias whether they be unmarked or patrol cars?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Yeah, but don't most cops drive Crown Victorias whether they be unmarked or patrol cars?

They used to but lately I've been seeing Chargers and Avengers take their place.

That might just be an Ohio thing though.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Len posted:

They used to but lately I've been seeing Chargers and Avengers take their place.

They stopped making the Crown Victoria last year. The new replacements marketed to police are the Charger, the Ford Taurus, the Chevy Caprice (police only in the US for now), and occasionally the Chevy Impala.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Len posted:

Yeah, it's strange after all these years to see the NYPD using anything but Crown Vics for their patrol cars.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Well yeah, in real life, but in most movies the cool-guy detective drives a really impractical/expensive car. They even poke at this in action-comedies like Bad Boys 2 and The Other Guys.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Then you have my town which has a couple of these

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Aren't the "nicer" ones cars that have been impounded from drug dealers or whatever and re-purposed?

Maybe not the one above but I feel like I've seen Lamborghinis/Ferraris like that.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Alternative pants posted:

Then you have my town which has a couple of these

How would you go about arresting and bringing in anyone in that?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

MindlessHavok posted:

Aren't the "nicer" ones cars that have been impounded from drug dealers or whatever and re-purposed?

Maybe not the one above but I feel like I've seen Lamborghinis/Ferraris like that.

Those used to end up as DARE cars. Not sure if they still do that.

There are a fair amount of new muscle cars around here that are sort of half-assed unmarked with their lights behind the grill. They manage to stick out like sore thumbs somehow but I get the impression that they're more like perks for senior officers than anything else.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Choco1980 posted:

Possibly a highway or pursuit only vehicle? Like, only duties are to radar/ticket/patrol fast roadways, or engage in pursuits, and if they actually need to arrest anyone, get a standard car there to take them away.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Yeah, it's strange after all these years to see the NYPD using anything but Crown Vics for their patrol cars.

The NYPD has been using Impalas for years, though. Most of their fleet has been Impalas for the past 10 years or so.

OXBALLS DOT COM has a new favorite as of 18:38 on Oct 3, 2013

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Choco1980 posted:

By politely asking the suspect to wait while you fiddle with the seat folder and then have them duck their head and scrunch up their knees while you push the seat back and drive off in your low suspension like a gigantic tool.

Sorry, my university just wisely bought chargers and mustangs for campus cops and I hate them so much.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Choco1980 posted:

It's a pursuit vehicle. This town has a bunch of NBA and Energy execs who drive hi-powered sports and super cars, so I guess the cops figure they need something fast.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
What's gonna be really fun is now that we're pulling out of the middle east all the armored, IED-resistant attack vehicles we bought are being sold to police stations. :pcgaming:

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I was watching The Untouchables in my history through film class today and everyone in the room was laughing at how Sean Connery's character takes a ridiculously long time to die after being shot a billion times in the torso with a machine gun. Also, why did they cast Sean Connery to play an Irish guy?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Celery Face posted:

I was watching The Untouchables in my history through film class today and everyone in the room was laughing at how Sean Connery's character takes a ridiculously long time to die after being shot a billion times in the torso with a machine gun. Also, why did they cast Sean Connery to play an Irish guy?

Because Americans can't tell the difference between a brogue and a burr. Also, for the same reason they cast him to play a Russian guy.

Note that Connery won an Oscar for that role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed

Phanatic posted:

Also, for the same reason they cast him to play a Russian guy.

No, he was from Latvia. "The Vilnius Schoolteacher." I choose to believe that Russia:Latvia::England:Scotland, and the accents work the same way :colbert:

MindlessHavok posted:

Yep

The Porsche and the Hummer were both seized from drug dealers. The Lamborghini was bought specifically as a high-speed pursuit car. I can't remember if the Hayabusa (fastest motorcycle in the world for a while, maybe still is) was seized or bought that way, but they apparently mostly take it to motorcycle stunt shows to intimidate the stuntaz.

• Locked thread