Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Well, my computer doesn't boot up if I plug in the right most 6 pin power cable into my 7950. I guess that means the card is shorting out? Guess I'm stuck with the intel hd 4000 for however long this rma takes.

After some research and a second psu, it seems to looks like a voltage regulator on the card is at fault here. Really wishing I went with a 660 ti right now.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
My gtx 760 cannot output through hdmi until the os loads, as in, I cant see the bios if my monitor is plugged in the hdmi port of the card. If I use a dvi to hdmi adapter on the card, the monitor shows the bios just fine. If it matters I have a z87-a with latest bios update. Is this normal?

Also if I plug my 2nd monitor in a dvi port it will show the bios on the 2nd monitor then switch to the first when the os is at login screen.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
My ASUS GTX 760 is bluescreening. Never buying from them again. I was stupid for not going with EVGA.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
Well considering the greenlight program which means all gtx 7xx and up have gone through nvidias Specifications and protocols, i wouldnt blame it on asus. It's probably more to do with the recent lovely drivers.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

skooma512 posted:

My ASUS GTX 760 is bluescreening. Never buying from them again. I was stupid for not going with EVGA.

Has it been RMA'd? Hard to condemn a card/company before getting it replaced. Bad ones happen.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Does the R9-280X debut this week, or is it just pre-order also?

I've been waiting to get a card that can ideally power 1440p at max settings/60 fps for Diablo III, WoW, etc., and had settled originally on the 7970 GE, but with the R9-280X appearing to be a re-badged 7970 GE and now coming in at $299, I'm hoping that either a) it'll be available right away this week, b) it'll force the GTX 770 down in price to $300-350ish to where I might go with the 4GB version of it instead, or c) the GTX 780 will ultimately come down as the R9-290X approaches release and I just go ahead and try to get a little longer out of whatever card I do get by paying more and going more powerful. I saw the 4GB GTX 770 this week at Newegg for ~ $425 but it seems like prices will drop a lot once the R9-280X comes out. Thoughts?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

El Scotch posted:

Has it been RMA'd? Hard to condemn a card/company before getting it replaced. Bad ones happen.

Yeah I had a 8800GT and a GTX260 go bad on me and they were both EVGA cards and I had a MSI GTX460 that flamed out meaning a flame shot out the back of it. It kept crashing during games so I ran FurMark to test the stability of the card and then kaboom.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

SourKraut posted:

I've been waiting to get a card that can ideally power 1440p at max settings/60 fps for Diablo III, WoW, etc., and had settled originally on the 7970 GE, but with the R9-280X appearing to be a re-badged 7970 GE and now coming in at $299, I'm hoping that either a) it'll be available right away this week, b) it'll force the GTX 770 down in price to $300-350ish to where I might go with the 4GB version of it instead, or c) the GTX 780 will ultimately come down as the R9-290X approaches release and I just go ahead and try to get a little longer out of whatever card I do get by paying more and going more powerful. I saw the 4GB GTX 770 this week at Newegg for ~ $425 but it seems like prices will drop a lot once the R9-280X comes out. Thoughts?

I would at least wait to see the test results for the new series at this point before buying something. It'll probably be near the end of October before partner cards with custom coolers are available though.

e: For games like WoW and D3 I would expect any of those cards would have ample muscle. Those aren't the most demanding games.

Wistful of Dollars fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 30, 2013

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

spasticColon posted:

Yeah I had a 8800GT and a GTX260 go bad on me and they were both EVGA cards and I had a MSI GTX460 that flamed out meaning a flame shot out the back of it. It kept crashing during games so I ran FurMark to test the stability of the card and then kaboom.

Sounds like you had a capacitor burnout, same thing happened to me on a number of occasions with a series serverboards - the odor lingers for hours even in a well ventilated area.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

skooma512 posted:

Sounds like industrial yield to me. RMA that sucker, try another one. Bad parts happen, unfortunately. Don't condemn a manufacturer for one bad fault (unless they're selling power supplies, because one single fault in those can ruin everything).

Shitty Treat
Feb 21, 2012

Stoopid?

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

My gtx 760 cannot output through hdmi until the os loads, as in, I cant see the bios if my monitor is plugged in the hdmi port of the card. If I use a dvi to hdmi adapter on the card, the monitor shows the bios just fine. If it matters I have a z87-a with latest bios update. Is this normal?

Also if I plug my 2nd monitor in a dvi port it will show the bios on the 2nd monitor then switch to the first when the os is at login screen.

Look for a bios option Launch CSM set it to enabled if its not already or try changing boot device control from uefi to legacy see if that helps.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

SourKraut posted:

The cards won't be out from under NDA until the 15th, then I'm guessing available sometime in November. My 7970 runs WoW and D3 at max settings on a 30" monitor just fine?

King Metal
Jun 15, 2001

ethanol posted:

I really need some help here.. today, my computer wouldn't power on. I took out all the compononents and I've narrowed it down to this. My power supply will turn on if I unplug my 7950's power cables. With the video card plugged, it makes a little squeak and won't turn on. Is this a bad psu or a bad vid card? This computer is home built from a few months ago with a xfx pro550 watt and a sapphire 7950.

I had the same thing happen. Looked at the back of my card and 2 smd capacitors were missing (the little ones right above the pci-e lane connectors). Don't know if that's it, it could also be that your PSU decided to not produce enough power under load.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

King Metal posted:

I had the same thing happen. Looked at the back of my card and 2 smd capacitors were missing (the little ones right above the pci-e lane connectors). Don't know if that's it, it could also be that your PSU decided to not produce enough power under load.

I initially thought it was the PSU browning out, which was surprising because it's a XFX Pro 550, which should have more than enough power and came goon recommended. I went out and bought an 850 watt to test, and I got the same problem. Both PSUs are tripped into short circuit cutoff mode by the card's aux power being plugged in. I did examine the card, and I can't see anything wrong or burned, but I can't see under the fan and heatsink and I don't want to take it off for fear of voiding the warranty. I know there are some likely culprit MOSFETs under there. I did see a miniscule amount of white substance on the back which I think is from the factory and harmless. I got an RMA number from sapphire this morning. I'm 95% sure it's the card, and 5% worried it may be the PCI-E lane on the mobo. I've put the XFX back in, and without the card, the whole system is working fine. Unfortunately I don't have a second computer to test the card, or a second card to test the PCIE slot. I should mention this card has had a noisy and sometimes stuck fan. That may have contributed to a power failure, especially considering that I left my computer on all night and discovered it not working the next day. That fan probably had trouble over night and burned something up.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 1, 2013

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

Gonkish posted:

(unless they're selling power supplies, because one single fault in those can ruin everything).
I don't know about that - a friend I built a computer for about 6 months ago had a Corsair HX750 die on him, but I won't be shying away from Corsair as I've never had a single issue with them until now (and I've used their PSU's in a lot of machines - the oldest of which is my media centre which is powered by a 7 year old HX520 with over 50000+ hours). Sometimes stuff just dies, the important thing in the HX750's case is that it did so gracefully (no fireworks, smoke or smell) and without harming a single component that it was connected to.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Gonkish posted:

Sounds like industrial yield to me. RMA that sucker, try another one. Bad parts happen, unfortunately. Don't condemn a manufacturer for one bad fault (unless they're selling power supplies, because one single fault in those can ruin everything).

Eh, I got lucky with an old Enermax one like 15 years ago, it lasted about 2 years and a capacitor failed, sent sparks out the back and stunk up my bedroom. Fortunately it didn't kill anything else, I had a spare and all my other parts tested normally...I think it depends on what part of the supply fails as to whether it causes a chain reaction and fries everything.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I got lucky too when my GTX460 had a flame out and the rest of my system was fine but I do worry it might have shortened its lifespan in some way.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Fuzz1111 posted:

I don't know about that - a friend I built a computer for about 6 months ago had a Corsair HX750 die on him, but I won't be shying away from Corsair as I've never had a single issue with them until now (and I've used their PSU's in a lot of machines - the oldest of which is my media centre which is powered by a 7 year old HX520 with over 50000+ hours). Sometimes stuff just dies, the important thing in the HX750's case is that it did so gracefully (no fireworks, smoke or smell) and without harming a single component that it was connected to.

Yeah, a friend of mine had a Corsair HX520 recently die after many years. Why? Was it unreliable?

No, he just recently replaced a Core 2 Duo and Radeon 5770 with an overclocked Socket 1366 quad core Xeon and GTX 480.

So, yeah. Probably the two most power hungry components in recent desktop computing history, on an aging PSU that wouldn't really be suitable for such a rig in the first place (GTX 480, come on!).

But it died gracefully so I hear, and nothing was damaged. I'm pretty sure that HX520 was Seasonic built, and I would keep recommending Seasonic as my favourite PSU manufacturer.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Prepare for a lot of "reporting" like this: http://www.gamepur.com/news/12283-battlefield-4-beta-pc-windows-8-vs-windows-7-performance-no-shuttering-incr.html

So, apparently, one guy's results with the BF4 beta show an increase in performance with Windows 8. That's what this thing is. One dude's results on an unfinished, unreleased game.

Meanwhile, how likely is it that Nvidia might respond to the impending AMD release with discounts on the 700 series?

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 3, 2013

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Gonkish posted:

Meanwhile, how likely is it that Nvidia might respond to the impending AMD release with discounts on the 700 series?
Digitimes says nVidia will cut prices and launch 1-2 new cards in the $149-$249 segment in late November.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

If they dropped the GTX770 to $300 I'd be really tempted but my 660Ti still works great so I might just wait until Maxwell drops.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I hope the GTX 770 does drop that low. Otherwise, how low might the 780 go?

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Hmm if the 770 drops in price I'm gonna be mighty tempted to buy a second one.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Gonkish posted:

Prepare for a lot of "reporting" like this: http://www.gamepur.com/news/12283-battlefield-4-beta-pc-windows-8-vs-windows-7-performance-no-shuttering-incr.html

So, apparently, one guy's results with the BF4 beta show an increase in performance with Windows 8. That's what this thing is. One dude's results on an unfinished, unreleased game.
That's not even GPU-related. BF4 has some Windows 8 DX11.1 exclusive tweaks to improve CPU performance.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

HalloKitty posted:

Probably the two most power hungry components in recent desktop computing history, on an aging PSU that wouldn't really be suitable for such a rig in the first place (GTX 480, come on!).
Yeah the LGA1366 system I have serves as a spaceheater under load and idles as high as 170watt - it has a GTX670 so it's not the GPU (it does have an overclock which requires some of the power-saving off, but even on stock it's over 150watt). Meanwhile the overclocked LGA2011 system next to it idles at little over half that.

The HX520 is old enough to have been made under an older ATX spec (not sure how big a deal that is seeing as it was among the first to use single-rail 12volt internally). You are right that they were seasonic - the current HX650 is seasonic too.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
So, potential 780 buyers, the price of the R9 290X appears to have been leaked by Newegg in their site's page code. $730. Mmmmmmnot as cheap as many had hoped. Edit: Given Newegg's own markup that's still maybe $699.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 3, 2013

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

So, potential 780 buyers, the price of the R9 290X appears to have been leaked by Newegg in their site's page code. $730. Mmmmmmnot as cheap as many had hoped. Edit: Given Newegg's own markup that's still maybe $699.

It also sounds like it was for the BF4 special edition card, so it could still come in at the $650 range.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

This card better be really, really good.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Let's be real, over 6 billion transistors is still a shitload of transistors no matter which way you slice it, they're getting them fabbed by the same source, yields at this point are going to be ~more or less similar at the same node, AMD just doesn't have as diverse of a product stack for their giant chip to go up in price from the lowest validated ones.

It's gonna be pretty expensive. I was kinda hoping they'd pull a coup and stick it solidly at $550 as a gently caress-you but their price shakeups are all going to happen in the lower prices which is really better for more people than whatever's happening at crazy person enthusiast land.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
There is no way in hell it comes out at $730 or even $699. Just not happening.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Magic Underwear posted:

There is no way in hell it comes out at $730 or even $699. Just not happening.

It's fast or faster than a Titan, no?

I'm more interested in the 290 non-x than anything else. You've got mantle, AMD Audio.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I dunno, I feel like the 290x is just there to say "We have the crown!" and the real action is going to be at the lower price points.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Gonkish posted:

I dunno, I feel like the 290x is just there to say "We have the crown!" and the real action is going to be at the lower price points.

Pretty much. Both Nvidia and ATI feel the need to have a top-tier single-GPU card, now that dual/triple/quad cards are slowly falling out of favour. There will still be those that have the disposable cash to run multiple cards in their systems, but a lot of enthusiasts are switching to single cards since Crossfire/SLI never quite lived up to it's promise, and brings with it endless headaches and issues.

Might as well stick with slightly lower end stuff and saves your bucks. "Next-Gen" console games are already here, performance-wise on the PC, and my rear end old PC with a GTX 580 still runs pretty much everything flawlessly. The only game in recent memory that chokes it is FFXIV, and only then with everything maxed and you run into a crowd of 40+ characters. Even the semi-optimized beta of BF4 runs at 55+ fps at all times on my ancient gerbil in a wheel powered PC (except when the tower comes down).

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Pretty much. Both Nvidia and ATI feel the need to have a top-tier single-GPU card, now that dual/triple/quad cards are slowly falling out of favour. There will still be those that have the disposable cash to run multiple cards in their systems, but a lot of enthusiasts are switching to single cards since Crossfire/SLI never quite lived up to it's promise, and brings with it endless headaches and issues.

Might as well stick with slightly lower end stuff and saves your bucks. "Next-Gen" console games are already here, performance-wise on the PC, and my rear end old PC with a GTX 580 still runs pretty much everything flawlessly. The only game in recent memory that chokes it is FFXIV, and only then with everything maxed and you run into a crowd of 40+ characters. Even the semi-optimized beta of BF4 runs at 55+ fps at all times on my ancient gerbil in a wheel powered PC (except when the tower comes down).

1080p is pretty much a solved problem, but I'm still waiting for a card that can do 1440p at a solid 60fps. The 780 comes close, but fails, and still costs $650. So yeah, I'm very interested in what the 290x comes out to.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Magic Underwear posted:

1080p is pretty much a solved problem, but I'm still waiting for a card that can do 1440p at a solid 60fps. The 780 comes close, but fails, and still costs $650. So yeah, I'm very interested in what the 290x comes out to.
1080p may be a solved problem at 60Hz, but 120Hz seems like it will be important for latency reasons. You could probably do triple-buffered vsync with lower latency than you get with vsync disabled today, since it halves latency over the entire pipeline. Cutting per-frame motion in half also makes advanced engine features like temporal antialiasing a lot easier. At 120Hz you can do 4X SSAA for "free" by offsetting your samples by 1/4 pixel each frame and only work over the same 32ms as 2X TXAA. Or do something like 2X TXAA with half the motion error.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."

Magic Underwear posted:

Im in the same boat as you. In 1440p im getting fed up with my SLI 680s with only 2gb of memory's sloppy performance due to poor sli support, vram bottlenecks (yes they happen in newer games at that resolution) and CPU bottlenecks which are particularly bad since SLI already increases CPU load. My i7-3770k at 4.4 ghz cant handle some stuff. When it works right on well coded games its wonderful and I can hold a steady 60 fps with about 60% more performance than a Titan. But when games require more power I just fall short. Rome 2, Planetside 2, Battlefield 4 all bring my rig to its knees and constant 60 fps is not possible. Hell even Diablo 3 and FFXIV have tons of strange lag spikes that are unexplainable to me since I should be running it with my eyes closed. Some bullshit CPU bottleneck thing again I imagine.

I want to jump off the SLI boat and get more vram but I dont know what to do.

Athropos fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Oct 4, 2013

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Well, Rome 2 doesn't have an SLI profile and generally behaves stupidly in terms of performance, so I wouldn't give it much credit. BF4 is unfinished and can go over 2GB VRAM at 1080p. Planetside 2 is almost entirely CPU dependent, and yet it currently doesn't make much use of multi-threading, although the much promoted performance patch is supposed to fix that.

jane came by
Jun 29, 2013

by Fistgrrl

spasticColon posted:

I got lucky too when my GTX460 had a flame out and the rest of my system was fine but I do worry it might have shortened its lifespan in some way.

Why do you have so many GPU problems, spasticColon? I'm still sporting the 560ti I bought two years ago. Prior to that I had an AMD 5770 that gave me no issues for the year and a half I owned it.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

jane came by posted:

Why do you have so many GPU problems, spasticColon? I'm still sporting the 560ti I bought two years ago. Prior to that I had an AMD 5770 that gave me no issues for the year and a half I owned it.

To me honestly it is a mystery. My PSU and other hardware even hard drives have never gone bad on me so far during my several years in PC Gaming but I lost count of how many video cards that have gone bad on me but only the GTX460 failed spectacularly. And I don't overclock or just use the factory overclock but the GTX460 I had did have an aggressive factory overclock.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Oct 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
Stop mining buttcoins with your GPU. We know what you are doing. :freep: