Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Farecoal posted:

"Three-Dimensional Maneuver Gear"? Really?

It's maneuver gear that allows you to move in the 3 dimensions. ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Zeruel posted:

It's maneuver gear that allows you to move in the 3 dimensions. ?

They really couldn't have come up with a better name? I don't call a chainsaw "Gasoline-powered Mechanical Cutting Tool".

Genocyber posted:

Because a human society on the verge of extinction is going to care about having fancy names.

I was referring to the writers.

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 4, 2013

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Farecoal posted:

They really couldn't have come up with a better name? I don't call a chainsaw "Gasoline-powered Mechanical Cutting Tool".

Because a human society on the verge of extinction is going to care about having fancy names.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Farecoal posted:

Well no poo poo, you aren't a Japanese person trying to make up cool-sounding names in English.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Genocyber posted:

They made those things during the 100 years of peace, when people on the edge of human territory spent their days drinking and playing cards.

or maybe earlier, I don't know.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Farecoal posted:

It probably sounds cooler in Japanese.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Let's call it rittai kidou souchi (T/N: If you know Japanese you should know what this means) instead, that'll make it sound cool and mysterious.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

JosephWongKS posted:

It probably sounds cooler in Japanese.

Fair enough, I thought subtitles were translated the same way dubs were.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

They should have called them "Human Cable Flying Machines".

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Metal Spidermans.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I expect nothing but dignified and properly translated names from "Attack on Titan"

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Vincent Valentine posted:

Metal Spidermans.

Lin Beifongs.

Shane-O-Mac
May 24, 2006

Hypnopompic bees are extra scary. They turn into guns.
Shooty McZipZips.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Elotana posted:

I expect nothing but dignified and properly translated names from "Attack on Titan"

When I first watched this show I expected it to take place on the moon Titan and have space shooty pew pew guns. I was disappointed when I got Europe instead, but then I was horrified and decided to stay.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Elotana posted:

Clearly it was meant to be "Attack no Titan" where the "no" is the Japanese particle left deliberately untranslated, but Isayama made a typo and nobody thought to point it out

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Whipzips. Gas attackers. Spoot'n'toots. Flying Leggies.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Grapple Belts, Acro-boxes, Air Winches

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Ginsu Rockets. Knife-Neck Delivery System. Fodder Flingers. Air Gear. Leather Armour of Dexterity +1.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Bob Johnson.

Oh wait.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

SpartanIV posted:

Grapple Belts

I like this one. Or maybe just grappler.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Farecoal posted:

I like this one.

Yeah but if you translated it back into Japanese you'd have the Survey Corps going all Hulkmania on the Titans.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

3DMG is the kind of name you get when a bunch of nerds in a lab make something cool but name it technically and then forget to give it a real name. And then everybody else decided to just start abbreviating it.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Eej posted:

Yeah but if you translated it back into Japanese you'd have the Survey Corps going all Hulkmania on the Titans.

So in other words they should totally do that.

Anyway, Armin's scream at the end of episode 5 was so distressing it glitched out the Crunchyroll player, and it just started making a buzzing noise.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I remember before the series was licensed and it was always called "Advance of the Giants."

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Angry Grimace posted:

I remember before the series was licensed and it was always called "Advance of the Giants."

"Attack on Titan" is the official English translation of the title on the manga volume covers, though.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Angry Grimace posted:

"Advance of the Titans" would be the best translation of the Japanese title, Shingeki no Kyojin.

But that is not what the author wanted the English title to be, and, well. He kinda gets final say on that sort of thing.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
The Teen Titans themesong starts playing in my head whenever I see the phrase "Attack on Titan" sometimes.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Farecoal posted:

No, but you do call it a chainsaw because it's a chain that acts as a saw.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Farecoal posted:

So in other words they should totally do that.

Anyway, Armin's scream at the end of episode 5 was so distressing it glitched out the Crunchyroll player, and it just started making a buzzing noise.

The crunchyroll player has been kind of poo poo for me. I've had it just stop playing at random points even when fully streamed.

Also, to contribute holy poo poo Episode 11 is awful but I'm caught up now, and overall it's a very enjoyable combination of grim and kickass for me.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Farecoal posted:

Youtube's got ya covered. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhS_kUaKXrc

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

The crunchyroll player has been kind of poo poo for me. I've had it just stop playing at random points even when fully streamed.

It's been pretty bad for me too. I'm guessing it's a combination of my ISP and Crunchyroll's fault.

Some people have recommended changing DNS providers from the default to Google's, and that has seemed to help a bit even though I'm not sure why it would.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

So I am new to this thread and just finished episode 25. This show is extremely good. I went back the last several pages looking for anything official regarding future episodes of the series and saw nothing. Some of you are talking as if more episodes are a guarantee though. Is this the case? If not then what is the latest official update on that matter?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Xavier434 posted:

So I am new to this thread and just finished episode 25. This show is extremely good. I went back the last several pages looking for anything official regarding future episodes of the series and saw nothing. Some of you are talking as if more episodes are a guarantee though. Is this the case? If not then what is the latest official update on that matter?

It's based on an insanely popular manga and the anime itself was hugely successful, a second season is inevitable. The issue is that the manga does not have enough chapters to make a second season, so it'll be a good long while, possibly two years or more, before a second season will start airing.

I suggest reading the manga from chapter 33 onward. That's where the manga diverges from the anime.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TK-31 posted:

3DMG is the kind of name you get when a bunch of nerds in a lab make something cool but name it technically and then forget to give it a real name. And then everybody else decided to just start abbreviating it.

So it's all Hange's fault? That makes a lot of sense.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Captain Invictus posted:

It's based on an insanely popular manga and the anime itself was hugely successful, a second season is inevitable. The issue is that the manga does not have enough chapters to make a second season, so it'll be a good long while, possibly two years or more, before a second season will start airing.

I suggest reading the manga from chapter 33 onward. That's where the manga diverges from the anime.

Darn..I was hoping to wait less than that. I would consider reading it but this is a show that my wife and I have been watching together and she doesn't read manga. The waiting game begins!

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Xavier434 posted:

Darn..I was hoping to wait less than that. I would consider reading it but this is a show that my wife and I have been watching together and she doesn't read manga. The waiting game begins!

I think your best bet is just to completely forget about it and then be pleasantly surprised when it starts airing in 2 years or so (maybe more, maybe less).

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

So it's all Hange's fault? That makes a lot of sense.

Nahh, although she may be old enough to have met the guy who invented it. If he was still alive he'd have been in his 60's or 70's when she was a teenager though.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
I finally got around to watching this last episode. I have to admit, I was pretty surprised at how two giants fighting and ramming each other into buildings actually hurt/killed people. I guess I'm too used to how in other stories that's just ignored.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Angry Grimace posted:

"Advance of the Giants" is such a cooler title, not to mention being grammatically correct. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Soulcleaver posted:

"Advance of the Giants" is such a cooler title, not to mention being grammatically correct. :(

The Engrish has grown on me by now. I'd sulk if they switched away from "Attack on Titan".

• Locked thread