Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Exploded my chain clutching up second this morning on the way to class. Mashing refresh on the USPS tracking page for my chain and sprocket set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Yerok posted:

Exploded my chain clutching up second this morning on the way to class. Mashing refresh on the USPS tracking page for my chain and sprocket set.

Glad to hear that's all you need to replace. And I'm sorry there won't be any more distinguished pictures for a little bit.

Niven
Apr 16, 2003
I went for a ride today.

I love my bike

axia
Nov 15, 2005

The future is now.

Niven posted:

I went for a ride today.

I love my bike

You didn't pick up any hypodermic needles in there did you?? :ohdear:

Also, what causes rapid chain stretching? I have a chain with less than 1,000 miles on it, its a DID O-Ring, and I have to turn my snails after every ride. I'm guessing its because I didn't change the sprockets when I changed the chain, and if that is the case, will replacing just the sprockets solve this? I didn't change the sprockets at the time because they looked (and still do look) like they're new still. :shrug:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

axia posted:

Also, what causes rapid chain stretching? I have a chain with less than 1,000 miles on it, its a DID O-Ring, and I have to turn my snails after every ride. I'm guessing its because I didn't change the sprockets when I changed the chain, and if that is the case, will replacing just the sprockets solve this? I didn't change the sprockets at the time because they looked (and still do look) like they're new still. :shrug:

Are you cleaning and lubricating your chain regularly? Any chance something is stripped or vibrating loose when you ride?

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Crossposted from the Photos thread, but here's a panorama shot of my 690 on a dirt road:

Also a test run of my new Hero 3 - highlights include me nearly falling off the mountain at 4:00 (street tires + dirt = aaaahhgh), and footbridge hooliganism at 4:50. Unfortunately I wasn't rolling footage when a deer attempted to kill me as I came out of a tight corner. Fucker looked straight at me and rushed across the road directly in my path. Luckily I anticipated his brilliant move and had already straightened up and geared down so he passed about six feet in front of me.

God I love this bike :swoon:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

axia posted:

Are you running it too tight? Chains for dirtbikes need to be quite a bit looser than those for street bikes due to suspension travel.

axia
Nov 15, 2005

The future is now.

MetaJew posted:

Are you cleaning and lubricating your chain regularly? Any chance something is stripped or vibrating loose when you ride?
Not one thing looks odd or out of place on the drivetrain, though there is like a "clean" spot on each of the links, so maybe they're rubbing up against something? Though I can't imagine what it could be, its not like the DRZ is a complicated system...?
Here is a pic of what I'm talking about.

Also, and please feel free to make fun of me, but I was under the impression that O ring chains didn't need to be lubricated?

n8r posted:

Are you running it too tight? Chains for dirtbikes need to be quite a bit looser than those for street bikes due to suspension travel.
Definitely don't think its too tight, and my OEM chain lasted for 10,000 miles with literally ZERO maintenance. I mean, I think I know how tight to keep it; when its in the spec range that's in the manual it only lasts for one or two rides until the chain is hitting the swingarm.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

axia posted:

Not one thing looks odd or out of place on the drivetrain, though there is like a "clean" spot on each of the links, so maybe they're rubbing up against something? Though I can't imagine what it could be, its not like the DRZ is a complicated system...?
Here is a pic of what I'm talking about.

Also, and please feel free to make fun of me, but I was under the impression that O ring chains didn't need to be lubricated?

I'm no veteran, but I'm nearly 100% certain that you still need to lube it. The purpose of the O (or X) rings is to hold lubricant around the joints/pins/links/rollers/whatever-they're-called . If your're not lubricating it, overtime I believe the rollers and holes for the rollers wear out, and you get "stretch". Now, would this cause you to have to retension your chain after every ride? I don't know, but if you're not cleaning and lubing it, it could contribute to the problem.

Cleaning with kerosene probably helps to lubricate it some and keep the o-rings soft, but you still need to use some sort of wax/spray on lube.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

MetaJew posted:

I'm no veteran, but I'm nearly 100% certain that you still need to lube it. The purpose of the O (or X) rings is to hold lubricant around the joints/pins/links/rollers/whatever-they're-called . If your're not lubricating it, overtime I believe the rollers and holes for the rollers wear out, and you get "stretch".

The x/w/o-rings are there to hold in the factory grease and stop grit getting into the joints. In my opinion lubricating is an all or nothing affair, you either keep your chain lubed with a light oil like all the time (maybe with a chain oiler) or just keep it clean and the outside unlubed with a paraffin/kerosene wash once in a while. The sticky chain lubes just pick up road dust and grit and grit + grease = grinding paste.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Crossposted from the Photos thread, but here's a panorama shot of my 690 on a dirt road:

Also a test run of my new Hero 3 - highlights include me nearly falling off the mountain at 4:00 (street tires + dirt = aaaahhgh), and footbridge hooliganism at 4:50. Unfortunately I wasn't rolling footage when a deer attempted to kill me as I came out of a tight corner. Fucker looked straight at me and rushed across the road directly in my path. Luckily I anticipated his brilliant move and had already straightened up and geared down so he passed about six feet in front of me.

God I love this bike :swoon:

Yeah they're great bikes, I wish some rear end in a top hat didn't steal mine.

In good news though I got a good insurance payout, the armed robbers (seriously, they'd done over a bunch of service stations and brothels) got arrested, and now I'm after another 690, if only they were for sale.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Aargh posted:

Yeah they're great bikes, I wish some rear end in a top hat didn't steal mine.

In good news though I got a good insurance payout, the armed robbers (seriously, they'd done over a bunch of service stations and brothels) got arrested, and now I'm after another 690, if only they were for sale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7jOjzysh_8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSAqFF2sI2Q

Turns out Supermotos are pretty boss for armed robbery.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ReelBigLizard posted:

The x/w/o-rings are there to hold in the factory grease and stop grit getting into the joints. In my opinion lubricating is an all or nothing affair, you either keep your chain lubed with a light oil like all the time (maybe with a chain oiler) or just keep it clean and the outside unlubed with a paraffin/kerosene wash once in a while. The sticky chain lubes just pick up road dust and grit and grit + grease = grinding paste.

Every motorcycle service manual I've read recommends lubing the chain with engine oil every 500-1000km and cleaning every month or so.

Forget spray lubes, the cheapest engine oil you can find is more than good enough. I use SAE50 because I can get it really cheap and because it works better in my pump oil can than the thinner modern oils.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

You know I never even thought of the idea that they stole it to do more robberies on, makes a lot more sense now.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Brothers: I have a confession. After a year with my DRZ, I hadn't fallen I love with my sumo. Stairs and little jumps were fun, but I honestly thought the old ninja250 felt better on smooth roads.

The DRZ never felt planted in curves and the bars headache awful bounce during straight-linecruises that no amount of clicker-dicking would solve.

Today I finally checked my rear sag. 6 inches! A dumb lowering attempt by the PO? I don't know, but I halved that and I have a brand new bike!

Sure, I can't flat foot it anymore, but who the hell cares?! I finally get it.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I thought about getting Kouba links the first time I sat on the DRZ, but now that I've gotten comfortable with the ride height I would never even consider them.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Replaced the rubber on my 2006 drz. The rear was from a few years ago, and almost bald. The front had some tread but turns out it's the original tire from 2005. Yeah.

Fresh Pilot Powers on front (120) and rear (150) and this is my face now :aaa:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I realize that I am awful at clutching up wheelies. I thought it was basically clutch in > rev it > dump clutch, but I don't get much of anything, even with my butt on the fender tool pouch. Is there anything else to it but practice?

At least I found a nice spot to practice:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

DRZ right?

Go slower. 1st gear.

Way exaggerate what you think is required to do a wheelie. It'll wheelie.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah. I've wheelied it with a combination of throttle and hills before, but only once with the clutch. I tried in my backyard by just going WOT in 1st, but that just gave me a bunch of ruts.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
You have to add throttle when you do it, not just free rev and dump the clutch. Do this in second and practice adding more throttle, it'll come up real fast in first.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yerok posted:

I thought about getting Kouba links the first time I sat on the DRZ, but now that I've gotten comfortable with the ride height I would never even consider them.

Moving from a B6 to an XT660, it was rather disconcerting not being able to flat-foot anymore. It only took me a couple of rides to get used to it, it's not like I can flat-foot my bicycle either.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Z3n posted:

You have to add throttle when you do it, not just free rev and dump the clutch. Do this in second and practice adding more throttle, it'll come up real fast in first.

I would agree, if you're practicing clutch ups do it in second. First is a little hairy for clutch ups. And don't worry, you'll do little couple-inch or so wheelies until you get comfortable enough to give it what it needs and then you'll get a good one.

I would suggest also first gear power wheelies. much easier. Clutch ups are good to know though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

eddiewalker posted:

Brothers: I have a confession. After a year with my DRZ, I hadn't fallen I love with my sumo. Stairs and little jumps were fun, but I honestly thought the old ninja250 felt better on smooth roads.

The DRZ never felt planted in curves and the bars headache awful bounce during straight-linecruises that no amount of clicker-dicking would solve.

Today I finally checked my rear sag. 6 inches! A dumb lowering attempt by the PO? I don't know, but I halved that and I have a brand new bike!

Sure, I can't flat foot it anymore, but who the hell cares?! I finally get it.

I was saying as I was reading that "something is wrong with that guys bike", as the drz sticks through corners, even rough corners, like glue. Glad you got it sorted and saw the real drz.

epalm posted:

Replaced the rubber on my 2006 drz. The rear was from a few years ago, and almost bald. The front had some tread but turns out it's the original tire from 2005. Yeah.

Fresh Pilot Powers on front (120) and rear (150) and this is my face now :aaa:

I had the same experience when I bought my 06 last spring. Oem tires dated from 05 that melted down to the cords in like two rides. They were crispy as hell. New pilot powers made it feel like a new bike.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

On the topic of wheelies, clutch-ups scare me. I used the trials technique if I feel like lifting the front a bit - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUFVlKF0XXY

Missed a cheap '09 WR250 last weekend :( I want a stupid bike again.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You can tell the people who started their riding career offroad, because most of them are probably using that technique. Its not unique to trials, and trail riders will have much the same technique for getting over obstacles on trails.

I rode exclusively offroad till I was about 18, and honestly clutch ups kinda scare me too. Its burned into my brain that they are only to be done from a standing start with one foot on the ground to hop the front end up over a large obstacle, which, in my experience is the only time you really need to clutch a wheelie offroad, all other stuff can pretty much be handled with weight shifts and throttle.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

My DRZ is not a supermoto but gets ridden like one. First gear power wheelies are awesome, I've almost looped it a few times and am finally getting to balance point practice. Apparently too much of a pussy/too hamfisted to properly clutch it up in 2nd yet but will get there hopefully some day...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
First gear power wheelies are easier to get off the ground but you run out of revs fast. Thats why clutchups in 2nd are nice - slow enough overall speed to not be insane yet gives you some time to play with height, throttle, shifting, etc.

If the concept feels uncomfortable, you can even try them in 3rd on a drz, which is going to require some serious coaxing to hit BP and there's basically no way to instantly loop it out.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
i found this video to be the best when i was practising clutch ups on my drz.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNQC_amZRJg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNQC_amZRJg

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I started out offroad and racing BMX, so that "trials" technique is what I'm used to. Although that Ryan Young video is probably the best explanation I've seen of it. I've definitely got some practice to do.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Deeters posted:

I started out offroad and racing BMX, so that "trials" technique is what I'm used to. Although that Ryan Young video is probably the best explanation I've seen of it. I've definitely got some practice to do.

Would like to be able to ~badass STUNTAZ wheeliezz~ and it seems like bouncing the suspension at anything above 20mph is asking for it. Is this totally wrong? Is that what those guys are doing when I see them with one foot on a peg and a knee on the seat or are all those crazy bastards on youtube using the clutch?

It's me, I am the worst at being a hooligan and can't even blame the knobbies.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

apatite posted:

Would like to be able to ~badass STUNTAZ wheeliezz~ and it seems like bouncing the suspension at anything above 20mph is asking for it. Is this totally wrong? Is that what those guys are doing when I see them with one foot on a peg and a knee on the seat or are all those crazy bastards on youtube using the clutch?

I always assumed they were using the clutch since I never see them compress the suspension before the wheelie. I can't figure out how they could wheelie without the clutch while only being half on the bike.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Deeters posted:

I always assumed they were using the clutch since I never see them compress the suspension before the wheelie. I can't figure out how they could wheelie without the clutch while only being half on the bike.

Yeah me either but this netbook can hardly even _play_ youtube videos so...

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Deeters posted:

Well, part of it is probably because they run huge-rear end sprockets on the rear wheels. Gives you loads of torque to the ground for power wheelies.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

apatite posted:

Yeah it's totally wrong. Bouncing the suspension is really the only way to get the bike to wheelie at speed with stockish gearing. The effects of you bouncing the gently caress out of the suspension stay the same even when you're going faster, whereas using the engine to get the front to lift goes down with higher gears and faster speeds. Plus it comes up slower at higher speeds/gears anyways, so it's not really a deathwish. Body english is pretty much what makes the difference between ga'bage wheelies and the proper poo poo - pulling up on the bars, bouncing the front, sitting on the back of the bike, etc.

Or you can just buy a ZX10 and put a handlebar on it. Judging by FuzzyWuzzyBear's 05 ZX10, it'll wheelie just about anywhere in the first 3 gears if you have the balls to pin the throttle. Great bike. Wish I had bothered to put a camera on it when I rode it at the track.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Z3n posted:

Body english is pretty much what makes the difference between ga'bage wheelies and the proper poo poo - pulling up on the bars, bouncing the front, sitting on the back of the bike, etc.

Body english is hard for us non-english.

This is a vid I've watched too many times already.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78l7-S-0oS0

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Went for a ride to run some errands today, 45 degrees and drizzling all afternoon. First gear was hilarious with the FCR and my stupid tires in the rain.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Clutching up second gear wheelies now, thanks internet hooligans for helping to speed up the process of losing my license. That last video was particularly helpful, I really liked the dual-cam setup watching clutch and throttle :)

On to 3rd gear and riches beyond my wildest dreams.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

apatite posted:

Clutching up second gear wheelies now, thanks internet hooligans for helping to speed up the process of losing my license. That last video was particularly helpful, I really liked the dual-cam setup watching clutch and throttle :)

On to 3rd gear and riches beyond my wildest dreams.

Start running through the gears on the rear wheel. That's where the real fun starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/ktm-set-to-launch-rc125-200-and-390/23689.html

But you say, Z3n, you stupid bastard, this is the supermoto thread. Who cares about stupid little sportbikes, those are made for passing with great prejudice on the finest, most superior mankiller, the glorious KTM 690 SMC.

And I say - peace be with you child, for we have been gifted a fine steed this day. The DRZ will no longer infest the garages of the nearly worthy, instead, there is a KTM for those unworthy of the mantel of the 690. The RC390 is simply the illusion and misdirection for the new child of god, the 390 Supermoto.

Join me in the benediction:

Look to your supermoto and it will protect you
We guard it with our lives
Your supermoto is your soul, and your orange plastics it's armour
The soul of the supermoto is the shield of humanity
Honour the craft of wheelies
Only the KTM is higher in our devotion
Honour the supermotos at balance point
We ask only for orange

• Locked thread