Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

You could ssh into a VPS and then just force your browser to go through that SOCKS proxy - once you disconnect from the proxy you can't go anywhere on the net.

https://calomel.org/firefox_ssh_proxy.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concept Theory
Aug 10, 2003

Fall posted:

I installed this and poked around. It's a neat app, thanks. I guess what I'm really looking for is to have natural scrolling on for three-finger gestures and off for everything else. What settings should I use?

Try better touch tool, I think you might be able to change some of the existing gestures. You can get pretty specific on what you want the gestures to preform.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Fall posted:

I installed this and poked around. It's a neat app, thanks. I guess what I'm really looking for is to have natural scrolling on for three-finger gestures and off for everything else. What settings should I use?

Ah, I'm not sure that's supported. ControlPlane is developed on GitHub and the scrolling feature was done through OS X APIs. Why don't you make a feature request on their issue tracker?

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Is it safe to use pf on 10.8? Some internet posts made it sound like OS updates will overwrite the file and screw up your firewall rules, but that hasn't happened to me (yet). Is it safe to keep using or should I use ipfw instead?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Firewall

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Ninja Rope posted:

Is it safe to use pf on 10.8? Some internet posts made it sound like OS updates will overwrite the file and screw up your firewall rules, but that hasn't happened to me (yet). Is it safe to keep using or should I use ipfw instead?

ipfw was deprecated in favour of pf as of Lion, I believe. If you want a more fine grained control of pf there's quite a good GUI frontend here:
http://www.hanynet.com/icefloor/index.html

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
Is there some kind of mini script I can run to convert OS X Stickies into something that iCloud can sync to my iPhone/iPad? The only option I see to read my desktop stickies on iOS devices is some third party app that requires the devices to be on the same wifi network, which is obviously pretty useless.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mr. Onslaught posted:

Is there some kind of mini script I can run to convert OS X Stickies into something that iCloud can sync to my iPhone/iPad? The only option I see to read my desktop stickies on iOS devices is some third party app that requires the devices to be on the same wifi network, which is obviously pretty useless.

The Notes app will do this on Mountain Lion.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I'm wondering if developers will get a Mavericks GM seed in the next few days. If I remember correctly, the Mountain Lion GM seed went out 2-3 weeks before the general release.

edit: Yep, and it was the same for Lion: the GM seed went up about 3 weeks before it showed up on the App Store.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 2, 2013

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'm wondering if developers will get a Mavericks GM seed in the next few days. If I remember correctly, the Mountain Lion GM seed went out 2-3 weeks before the general release.

edit: Yep, and it was the same for Lion: the GM seed went up about 3 weeks before it showed up on the App Store.
I hope so. Updating to DP8 broke the hell out of the boot times on my test MBP and I'd kind of like a proper InstallESD file from the GM build that I can turn into a boot stick and just make sure that it'll be okay for wide scale deployment.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.
Oh man, gf's 2012 MBA (11", 128GB) locked up tonight and on a forced reboot came up with the question mark folder. Tried the internet recovery but the boot disk isn't found. Got a genius appointment for tomorrow but I think the warranty (no Applecare) was up just a couple weeks ago. Is she out $300 for a new ssd?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

SB35 posted:

Oh man, gf's 2012 MBA (11", 128GB) locked up tonight and on a forced reboot came up with the question mark folder. Tried the internet recovery but the boot disk isn't found. Got a genius appointment for tomorrow but I think the warranty (no Applecare) was up just a couple weeks ago. Is she out $300 for a new ssd?

Probably.

If its only a few weeks fight a little (please don't be a dick though) and that may help.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

SB35 posted:

1. IMO always get the extended warranty on a laptop, especially one with non-replaceable parts (ie. soldered-in ram).
2. There's a decent chance they'll be cool about it.
3. If you've ever sent it in for repair before, the laws in your state (don't know what that is; but this is certainly true in CA) may extend your warranty for every day your computer was out for repair. I doubt you've had two weeks worth of repairs over the last year but I needed a #3.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
If it's a Toshiba SSD in your Air I wouldn't be surprised. I've seen more than ten in the last two weeks that have failed in almost the same exact way.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I tried to use internet recovery on my 2010 MBP after installing a new hard drive and it booted a Mavericks installer that then refused to install. Apple why

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

1997 posted:

If it's a Toshiba SSD in your Air I wouldn't be surprised. I've seen more than ten in the last two weeks that have failed in almost the same exact way.

I did a little googling when it happened and apparently this is an extremely common issue on 11" & 13" MBA s with Toshiba SSDs.

This is disheartening as she hadn't backed up in awhile, but I guess she'll know better now. Been a great machine otherwise.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Welp, mine is 14 months old.

Not gonna wait for that 10 day backup reminder I guess.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The 2012 128GB's have been failing like crazy if you go by forum posts. Just another reason to upgrade I guess.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

The 2012 128GB's have been failing like crazy if you go by forum posts. Just another reason to upgrade I guess.

Yeah, I'm just afraid that if I get this (probably) failed SSD replaced, it will be replaced with another just like it. Bound to fail within 1-1.5 years.

Maybe just get it replaced and then sell it and upgrade is the best choice.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

SB35 posted:

Yeah, I'm just afraid that if I get this (probably) failed SSD replaced, it will be replaced with another just like it. Bound to fail within 1-1.5 years.

You could just buy a Samsung SSD on eBay...

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

outlier posted:

I have a minor but strange problem with screenlocking:

For security's sake, I have my MacBook set up to lock when the display goes to sleep. However, it's been displaying this strange "locked then locked" behaviour for a while. The symptoms:

- MacBook is asleep, I wake it up and get the enter password screen. THEN
- The Mac stays busy for a minute or two so I can't enter the password and then goes back to sleep OR
- I enter the password, get to the desktop, start to do something and the Mac goes to sleep
- I wake up the Mac, enter my password and all is fine

It seems to only happen when it's running on battery, not the power cable. Ideas?

Tech specs: mid-2012 MacBook Pro, running Mountain Lion

To follow up myself:

This problem seems to be relatively common - there's a few threads on the Apple forums about it. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any real solution:

- People have taken their MacBooks to Apple who are unable to diagnose it, or just replace the MacBook citing a hardware error. However, the problem doesn't always go away.

- It's been suggested that using autologin (i.e. not having a screenlock) will fix it. I'm not keen on this solution - my laptop is locked for security.

- A plausible if unproven diagnosis is that due to a faulty or dying CMOS battery, the software clock and network clock get out of sync during sleep. When the laptop wakes up, it resyncs to network time and then registers that it's been inactive for long enough to sleep again. Apparently this happens on PCs. The solution is to lengthen the time-to-sleep, so the discrepancy doesn't cause the second sleep. This is what I'm trying, we'll see how it works.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

outlier posted:

- A plausible if unproven diagnosis is that due to a faulty or dying CMOS battery, the software clock and network clock get out of sync during sleep.

MacBook Pros haven't had a backup battery since the 2008 models. Once Apple decided to make all batteries internal, they shitcanned the backup battery so they'd have more room on the logic board for other things. It's all running off the main battery.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Ashex posted:

...PS3 controller over bluetooth.

Do you mean to tell me, sir, that I could have been playing games on my MBA this whole time with my PS3 controller? I didn't have to buy that lovely wired gamepad with sticky buttons?!?

Google has just informed that this is indeed the case. I am at a loss for words.

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

SB35 posted:

If you aren't covered by warranty I would just get a new OWC SSD instead of buying an Apple OEM.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Aura_Pro_Air_2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Action Jackson! posted:

If you aren't covered by warranty I would just get a new OWC SSD instead of buying an Apple OEM.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Aura_Pro_Air_2012

I'd get an OEM one after hearing about all the fitment and reliability issues with OWC drives.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
If I wanted to return my MacBook Air while its still in its 2 week return window and get a new one with more storage, what's the best way to back up the current one so I can transfer all of the applications/settings to the new one? Carbon Copy Tool?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I wouldn't even bother with Carbon Copy Cloner, just get a fresh USB 3.0 backup drive, do a full backup with Time Machine, then when you get the new machine use Migration Assistant to restore the backup.

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

I'd get an OEM one after hearing about all the fitment and reliability issues with OWC drives.

Really? I have a conventional 2.5" OWC SSD in my iMac and it's been great. I figured they would have had the same kind of quality with their Air drives. Good to know.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Action Jackson! posted:

Really? I have a conventional 2.5" OWC SSD in my iMac and it's been great. I figured they would have had the same kind of quality with their Air drives. Good to know.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1459847&highlight=owc

Looks like some of the PC Boards they ship out don't have the notch cut out for the battery in them, drives coming DOA, dying after a few months/weeks...

I'm sure their 2.5" drives are as good as any other Sandforce drive. It's more of a problem with the Aura line.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1459847&highlight=owc

Looks like some of the PC Boards they ship out don't have the notch cut out for the battery in them, drives coming DOA, dying after a few months/weeks...

I'm sure their 2.5" drives are as good as any other Sandforce drive. It's more of a problem with the Aura line.

OWC/NewerTech sometimes has weird issues like that missing notch (or a MBP battery with plastic completely covering the connector, one time) on the stuff they have manufactured for themselves, but at the same time I haven't seen them fail more often than the Apple service parts. Even the DOA rate seems similar.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Kingnothing posted:

Probably.

If its only a few weeks fight a little (please don't be a dick though) and that may help.

Choadmaster posted:

1. IMO always get the extended warranty on a laptop, especially one with non-replaceable parts (ie. soldered-in ram).
2. There's a decent chance they'll be cool about it.
3. If you've ever sent it in for repair before, the laws in your state (don't know what that is; but this is certainly true in CA) may extend your warranty for every day your computer was out for repair. I doubt you've had two weeks worth of repairs over the last year but I needed a #3.

Prodded a little and they "pulled some strings", Apple will cover the repair and we should get it back within a few days. This kind of customer service is what keeps people coming back.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Binary Badger posted:

I wouldn't even bother with Carbon Copy Cloner, just get a fresh USB 3.0 backup drive, do a full backup with Time Machine, then when you get the new machine use Migration Assistant to restore the backup.

Good idea! I just used a 64GB USB drive :)

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
OS X Mavericks GM Seed, might have just hit the developer center.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
omg don't let me buy this poo poo. I don't need an OS upgrade. Like, I've been using three screens on ML for months, but I can deal. I don't need to pay $99 for a free upgrade.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

agarjogger posted:

omg don't let me buy this poo poo. I don't need an OS upgrade. Like, I've been using three screens on ML for months, but I can deal. I don't need to pay $99 for a free upgrade.

Wasn't ML $19? and Lion was $29 right? Maybe Mavericks will be $9 or free :P

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

echobucket posted:

Wasn't ML $19? and Lion was $29 right? Maybe Mavericks will be $9 or free :P

To get a dev acct and download it early cost $99.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

agarjogger posted:

To get a dev acct and download it early cost $99.

You don't need a developer account to get and use Mavericks. It is recommended though, you scoundrels. :colbert:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

echobucket posted:

OS X Mavericks GM Seed, might have just hit the developer center.
Yep it's up.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Oh, I just assumed if you weren't a dev already you would just be PATIENT. Silly me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

echobucket posted:

Oh, I just assumed if you weren't a dev already you would just be PATIENT. Silly me.

I aaaamm being patient. But ML's fullscreen permabugs are pretty taxing. Also being a dev means nothing if I can just pay to become one.