Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Well, I finally beat Persona 3 Portable and bought myself a PS3 along with a copy of Persona 4 arena with all the DLC.

Persona 3DS will be announced in November and Arena 2 will have an exclusive Wii U console release now. Sorry.

That being said, the story in 3 was good, but they really could have done some more stuff to make the middle of the year more interesting. It just really felt like shadow, shadow, shadow, summer break!!, shadow, shadow, shadow, plot twist, endgame

I think what makes Persona 4 stand out more is that when you save someone, the game doesn't pressure you to immediately go back to the dungeon on subsequent nights, just gently nudging you with a rainy day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Soul Hackers wasn't bad but I definitely got the feeling it was not nearly as polished as it could have been. As much as I complained about instant death spells, I think the bigger problem is that demons are just completely useless. Since you are limited to demons being a few levels below your own, at no point are you able to really beef them up to a point where they'll actually survive boss battles. Except for I think one boss battle where I kept getting the "Bomb" status (and thus needed some demons with Bombdi or whatever it's called) and maybe a few boss battles at the beginning of the game, I never brought demons out at all. And weirdly enough, for the most part that doesn't affect the balance at all. What a weirdly designed game.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Nate RFB posted:

Soul Hackers wasn't bad but I definitely got the feeling it was not nearly as polished as it could have been. As much as I complained about instant death spells, I think the bigger problem is that demons are just completely useless. Since you are limited to demons being a few levels below your own, at no point are you able to really beef them up to a point where they'll actually survive boss battles. Except for I think one boss battle where I kept getting the "Bomb" status (and thus needed some demons with Bombdi or whatever it's called) and maybe a few boss battles at the beginning of the game, I never brought demons out at all. And weirdly enough, for the most part that doesn't affect the balance at all. What a weirdly designed game.

My first run through was with the difficulty hack set to Up, and I never had trouble keeping my demons alive during bosses. Granted, I made sure one had Media(rama) at all times, but that's par for the course for SMT. The only time I found myself hurting for demons was the post-game fight against Beelzebub, and that case was obviously deliberate, what with Nice Short and all.

Honestly, my main complaint is that in the endgame, physical attacks might as well be useless against bosses, since you need Sukukaja to get them to actually hit, and it's a waste of a slot getting it on your team over Rakukaja and Makakaja users.

Outside of boss battles, I always kept one demon out just so Nemissa wasn't stuck with healing duty.

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...
I enjoyed the fact that the new version had a hard mode that made battles fast and furious and having a full first-person dungeon crawler. It may not be the best, but I enjoy having a RPG that's short and sweet, a refreshing change of pace to all these 60+ hour monsters that keep coming out.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The problem is that demons (and Nemissa) never get to move before the boss, even if I bumped up Nemissa's agility to be as high or higher than the MC's. And when just about every demon I roll out dies in one hit, you wind up in a losing battle of trying to heal yourself or revive them and re-summon. It just wasn't worth the trouble in my experience.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

The problem is that demons (and Nemissa) never get to move before the boss, even if I bumped up Nemissa's agility to be as high or higher than the MC's. And when just about every demon I roll out dies in one hit, you wind up in a losing battle of trying to heal yourself or revive them and re-summon. It just wasn't worth the trouble in my experience.

Odd. Nemissa always got 2nd turn in my run, with a few exceptions.

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...

Nate RFB posted:

It sounds like you're under leveled, because I never had bosses busting through my guys in one go, with the exception of the last few bosses and the secret ones. Usually, it came down to quadruple stacking the most necessary buffs and debuffs in the game, and having the proper lineups and demons to counter, so that those bosses can't trash my team in one shot.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
How can you be underleveled, your demons don't level up! Unless you meant grinding to be able to fuse higher level demons. The game is actually pretty piss easy so I never felt the need to grind all that much; I think I can count on one hand how many times I died that weren't instant death spells or getting something reflected back in my face.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
I think whoever moves first also depends on their position, and how a boss is feeling at that moment. For some reason, Nemissa moved first when I put her in the top left position, but it wasn't guaranteed. On my earliest attempts fighting King Frost, with Nemissa at that position, she went first. But then when that boss unleashed his suicide attack, he went first. Keep in mind, it's been a good while for me, so I could be misremembering everything.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Dehry posted:

Persona 3DS will be announced in November and Arena 2 will have an exclusive Wii U console release now. Sorry.

I have a stinking suspicion that the new Persona game will be on 3DS and Vita. I really hope I'm right.

e: http://kotaku.com/5564483/nintendo-3ds-every-announced-game-right-here

A Persona game was announced for the 3DS in 2010. They made good on the SMTIV promise, so maybe they'll make good on this one?

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 2, 2013

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Captain Mog posted:

A Persona game was announced for the 3DS in 2010. They made good on the SMTIV promise, so maybe they'll make good on this one?

If it's not P3D, someone in the marketting department isn't doing their job.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

How can you be underleveled, your demons don't level up! Unless you meant grinding to be able to fuse higher level demons. The game is actually pretty piss easy so I never felt the need to grind all that much; I think I can count on one hand how many times I died that weren't instant death spells or getting something reflected back in my face.

I honestly can't think of a level range that doesn't have some demons in the general vicinity. And even with a decent level discrepancy, they shouldn't be being one-shotted unless it's their weakness. I mean, hell, I took a Shadow into the Magical!Manitou fight and a Vetala into the Beelzebub fight, and even they weren't being one-shotted, despite having Megidolaon blasting them.

Snowcow
Oct 17, 2007

Captain Mog posted:

That wasn't an announcement. There was a Shin Megami Tensei game listed for the PS3 back in 2005 and look what happened there.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
Reading about Soul Hackers, someone mentioned that there are some bugs in the 3ds version.
Can someone tell me what they are and if they're gamebreaking?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Apparently there's a freezing bug on certain spell animations or something, but I never experienced it. Might be exclusive to the NA version, but I'm not sure on that.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Nah, I had it freeze once on an Agi spell animation from Nemissa in my EU version. But couldn't reproduce it beyond that one accidental time.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
Thanks.
So if it's just a rare freezing bug then I'll just need to save often.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You'll want to save often anyways (like, every time you find a new floor) because ooooooh booooy does Soul Hackers like instant death spells with high hit rates.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Snowcow posted:

That wasn't an announcement. There was a Shin Megami Tensei game listed for the PS3 back in 2005 and look what happened there.

In the case of that list, we've now gotten two of everything Atlus put on that list aside from the Persona game. The real thing that makes it stick out as the next possible title is the P3 movie. They put out P4G with the P4 anime and they had Devil Survivor 2 Break Record planned for the end of the DS2 anime but delayed it due to "quality issues" right around the time they announced bankruptcy.

Now the Persona 3 movie is coming out on November 23, the day before the Persona teaser website date. Which probably means there will be something revealed after the credits.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Snix posted:

I think whoever moves first also depends on their position, and how a boss is feeling at that moment. For some reason, Nemissa moved first when I put her in the top left position, but it wasn't guaranteed. On my earliest attempts fighting King Frost, with Nemissa at that position, she went first. But then when that boss unleashed his suicide attack, he went first. Keep in mind, it's been a good while for me, so I could be misremembering everything.

No, you're right. Whether you're in the front or back row makes a major difference to turn order in Soul Hackers, equivalent to about 10 points of agility. If you're keeping characters in the back row, you need to pump agility very heavily to get them to outspeed fast enemies.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"

Dehry posted:

In the case of that list, we've now gotten two of everything Atlus put on that list aside from the Persona game. The real thing that makes it stick out as the next possible title is the P3 movie. They put out P4G with the P4 anime and they had Devil Survivor 2 Break Record planned for the end of the DS2 anime but delayed it due to "quality issues" right around the time they announced bankruptcy.

Now the Persona 3 movie is coming out on November 23, the day before the Persona teaser website date. Which probably means there will be something revealed after the credits.
They are pushing P3 a lot, what with the movie series and the stage plays. Maybe they're making another P3 remake? It'd be awesome to have a portable version of P3 with controllable party members, and environment exploration. Though it could be to promote P4A2, since they're bringing Tatarus back and are introducing Yukari and Junpei.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Snix posted:

They are pushing P3 a lot, what with the movie series and the stage plays. Maybe they're making another P3 remake? It'd be awesome to have a portable version of P3 with controllable party members, and environment exploration. Though it could be to promote P4A2, since they're bringing Tatarus back and are introducing Yukari and Junpei.

Persona 3DS Golden would be awesome as hell. I'd sell one of my kidneys for such a game.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'd be all for a remake if they could add a couple more events during the daytime and do night more like in P4G so you don't waste days getting "Your relationship has become stronger. You may become closer soon" events. Also somehow fix the dungeons so it's not as boring. Adding an extra drum or piano isn't enough post P4.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Id buy a p3 remake if they rewrite all the non-hermit social links to not be super depressing

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Eh, depressing goes with the territory, considering it's a game about mortality. However, if they could rewrite all the creepy and/or lovely links like Moon, Magician and Devil, and not make the MC a passive enabler, it'd be great. Oh, and Links with your party members.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Iceclaw posted:

Eh, depressing goes with the territory, considering it's a game about mortality. However, if they could rewrite all the creepy and/or lovely links like Moon, Magician and Devil, and not make the MC a passive enabler, it'd be great. Oh, and Links with your party members.

So I'm guessing you've never played the female campaign in P3P, because that's pretty much exactly what it is.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Because I hate fun and anything closely resembling it, I want to tackle Margaret solo in vanilla P4. I've already got Izanagi-no-Okami, the NG+ sword, and Yoshitsune. Is it possible for someone who's fought Margaret before to give me a rough list of Personae that I should take into the fight?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Oh hey, people are talking about Persona 3 again. I'm still plugging away at it, just did the 12th Shadow thinking it'd be a quick fight and I could save it after beating it in a 40 minute session. loving hour and 20 minutes later the cutscenes end and I can save it, was dreading a power cut or something. As for the actual plot content, still don't get Strega at all and the Chairman was evil all along, ok then. Also Mitsuru's father is dead, that's a shame I guess? I don't know, it's continuing to not grab me basically.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Persona 3 end-game complaining: gently caress Nyx. gently caress NYX GODDAMN IT I SPENT 3 HOURS WHITTLING ALL THOSE GODDAMN PHASES DOWN AND IT PULLS OUT SOME BULLSHIT SUPER MOVE THAT KILLS EVERYONE AT THE VERY END AAAAAAAAAAA :supaburn:

Is the ending even worthwhile because there's no way I can do this poo poo.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
At least it didnt charm your healer

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Alabaster White posted:

Persona 3 end-game complaining: gently caress Nyx. gently caress NYX GODDAMN IT I SPENT 3 HOURS WHITTLING ALL THOSE GODDAMN PHASES DOWN AND IT PULLS OUT SOME BULLSHIT SUPER MOVE THAT KILLS EVERYONE AT THE VERY END AAAAAAAAAAA :supaburn:

Is the ending even worthwhile because there's no way I can do this poo poo.

Persona 3's ending is one of my favorite game endings of all time.

What I did when I got brickwalled at Nyx Avatar was to go hunt down the Reaper, kill him, and then grind in Monad for a bit. The Reaper is kind of a pushover, so you can probably beat him pretty easily with an end-game team. You can also fuse up an Abbadon, whose heart item blocks mental status ailments (panic, charm, etc). Register him right before he levels up to get the heart item, get it, then draw him back out of the compendium and do it again until you have four. That'll keep you from getting charmed and hitting Nyx Avatar with a Diarahan at the end of the fight.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Persona 3's ending is one of my favorite game endings of all time.

What I did when I got brickwalled at Nyx Avatar was to go hunt down the Reaper, kill him, and then grind in Monad for a bit. The Reaper is kind of a pushover, so you can probably beat him pretty easily with an end-game team. You can also fuse up an Abbadon, whose heart item blocks mental status ailments (panic, charm, etc). Register him right before he levels up to get the heart item, get it, then draw him back out of the compendium and do it again until you have four. That'll keep you from getting charmed and hitting Nyx Avatar with a Diarahan at the end of the fight.

I have no idea how to actually encounter the Reaper :confused: What will killing him actually do for me? Also, won't my party get Tired from all the grinding?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It becomes a lot harder to get tired as you gain levels, and on the very last day of the game you can't get tired at all.

Did you seriously not encounter the reaper throughout the whole game? That's a little hard to believe; but either way, if you stay on one floor long enough he'll show up eventually. Make sure you accept Elizabeth's request to kill him first. It would also be a huge help if you maxed out Emperor and fused Odin.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Alabaster White posted:

I have no idea how to actually encounter the Reaper :confused: What will killing him actually do for me? Also, won't my party get Tired from all the grinding?

The Reaper shows up if you spend too long on any one floor of Tartarus. Just go in at a low floor and wait around for awhile, he'll show up. Killing him unlocks Monad, an optional dungeon with enemies that give out loads of EXP. You'll be gaining a level every two or three battles, it's super easy to grind up to Nyx Avatar levels there.

I only ever actually beat Persona 3 Portable, which had a very different exhaustion mechanic, but if I understand correctly, you cannot become tired on the final day of the game in any version of the game.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Alabaster White posted:

It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure all you need to do is wait on a single floor for a long time. Eventually you'll hear chains rattling which means he's about to spawn or has spawned. I also think there's a slight chance for a floor to be 'unstable' floors which can have a variety of effects I think, but generally also include a faster reaper spawn rate.
I'm pretty sure you need to kill him to unlock The Monad, an area with high level enemies (but you should be strong enough at this point that high level enemies means high exp bounty). Make sure you accept the quest from Elizabeth though otherwise you'll have to fight him again.

RME fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 4, 2013

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

RME posted:

It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure all you need to do is wait on a single floor for a long time. Eventually you'll hear chains rattling which means he's about to spawn or has spawned. I also think there's a slight chance for a floor to be 'unstable' floors which can have a variety of effects I think, but generally also include a faster reaper spawn rate.
I'm pretty sure you need to kill him to unlock The Monad, an area with high level enemies (but you should be strong enough at this point that high level enemies means high exp bounty). Make sure you accept the quest from Elizabeth though otherwise you'll have to fight him again.

Well that's a huge load off my shoulders. I thought I'd have to restart the game and just grind on every day to do this. I guess Lv70+ just isn't enough :v:

e: WHAT THE gently caress HE KILLS EVERYONE IN ONE HIT

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 4, 2013

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Alabaster White posted:

Well that's a huge load off my shoulders. I thought I'd have to restart the game and just grind on every day to do this. I guess Lv70+ just isn't enough :v:

You got all the way to the final boss in an SMT game before that happened. You should be grateful. :unsmigghh:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Alabaster White posted:

With Odin's Thunder Reign, you can paralyze him, knock him down, and then allow him to waste a turn getting back up.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I spent like two hours trying to outlast him during the one run I fought him fairly, because the jerk hates it when you use items to buff/debuff and I pretty much bought them for him and Nyx and will spam Megidolaon the moment you do that.

Don't use non-healing items, try to keep your elemental weaknesses shielded, and he's just a big sack of HP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I had my characters around 70 in beginner mode and it took me 3 hours to kill everything from start of day to credits.