Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Far more offensive than correctly noting to as many reporters as possible that obamacare is the most destructive piece of legislation in the history of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Right now all of Drudge's top-line stuff is almost entirely about the lady who was shot after ramming the barricade today and her mental health state. The fact that that's the best he's got to talk about right now shows how little ammo they've got right now.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
http://finance.townhall.com/columnists/bobgoldman/2013/10/03/be-a-poseur-for-profits-n1715476

This was one of Townhall's articles today. Never have I seen dogwhistle racism be so... audible.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Right now all of Drudge's top-line stuff is almost entirely about the lady who was shot after ramming the barricade today and her mental health state. The fact that that's the best he's got to talk about right now shows how little ammo they've got right now.

I find myself wondering if they're talking about it endlessly so people think about Obamacare less. Because...uuuuuhhhhh...Obamacare kind of, by default, expands mental health care access. Which means crazies doing crazy things would end up happening less.

Can't be having THAT, now can we?

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I find myself wondering if they're talking about it endlessly so people think about Obamacare less. Because...uuuuuhhhhh...Obamacare kind of, by default, expands mental health care access. Which means crazies doing crazy things would end up happening less.

You think that good mental healthcare will end your shootings? Nothing will end your shootings. Your society is malstructured and you all hate each other.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

agarjogger posted:

You think that good mental healthcare will end your shootings? Nothing will end your shootings. Your society is malstructured and you all hate each other.

It won't eliminate them. Totally eliminating that sort of thing is impossible. But expanded access to mental health services WILL reduce incidences of all sorts of things.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Frankly I'm almost surprised some places didn't immediately start claiming that a normal citizen trying to assault the white house is proof that the people are on the GOP's side and that she was clearly striking a blow against both the shutdown (which is naturally Obama's personal fault) and Obamacare. I guess her mental instability came out too soon for that.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Production posted:

http://tv.msnbc.com/2013/10/03/rnc-chair-goes-off-when-pressed-about-gop-shutdown-strategy/

If you want to see Reince Priebus get downright surly with a guy who isn't taking his poo poo, you want this now. Watching it live was amazing; it apparently bulldozed through another guest's segment, so it just keeps going.

"Maybe... maybe in the universe youuuuuuuuuuu live in."

This is loving hysterical. Early on, Priebus claims the ACA is "unpopular", Roberts comes back with the fact that 6 million have tried accessing the healthcare.gov website and that Obama took the popular vote in the 2012 election. After surrendering on this point and trying to shift the discussion, Priebus mentioned again a few minutes later that "the American people don't want Obamacare". Also this:

quote:

“Have you been watching the news?” he said, referencing glitches consumers have experienced in trying to access online exchanges. “At the very least, at this very moment, Obamacare’s not ready for prime time.”

Once again the right grasping for straws and claiming the website bugs mean the entire ACA "isn't ready". I don't know if I should be laughing or not that people like this clown are responsible for preventing an affordable healthcare bill from passing.

miscellaneous14 fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Oct 4, 2013

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: watching the implosion of the mighty RWM spin machine is absolutely delicious. There's little they can do at this point but try and feebly distract from what's actually happening.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

miscellaneous14 posted:

This is loving hysterical. Early on, Priebus claims the ACA is "unpopular", Roberts comes back with the fact that 6 million have tried accessing the healthcare.gov website and that Obama took the popular vote in the 2012 election. After surrendering on this point and trying to shift the discussion, Priebus mentioned again a few minutes later that "the American people don't want Obamacare". Also this:

Once again the right grasping for straws and claiming the website bugs mean the entire ACA "isn't ready". I don't know if I should be laughing or not that people like this clown are responsible for preventing an affordable healthcare bill from passing.

I think I may scream if I hear "not ready for prime time" again.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

His instinct to race bait has overcome his desire to engage in political gutter journalism.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The American public doesn't give enough of a gently caress about kids with cancer to put them in front of dealing with the shutdown.
You say this, but I see a wave of ads and soundbites. Especially since Harry Reid delivered the perfectly exploitable "Why should I?" When asked if he would help a child with cancer.
I know the context matters, you know the context matters, but I don't see the context getting repeated.

Jazerus posted:

Considering how much has been said on this site about ORCA it's a tad funny.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Jazerus posted:

If a website being messed up for a day or so means it's not ready for primetime then what would they call a political party that can't whip it's own members around a list of demands so juicy it demanded the president sign off on killing his own signature achievement and implementing the entirety of the agenda of a presidential candidate he just buried?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

HootTheOwl posted:

You say this, but I see a wave of ads and soundbites. Especially since Harry Reid delivered the perfectly exploitable "Why should I?" When asked if he would help a child with cancer.
I know the context matters, you know the context matters, but I don't see the context getting repeated.

I'm not shocked that they made ads out of it, especially considering how little else they have to go on but the context that matters isn't "Harry Reid was actually talking about the piecemeal bills and*sudden snoring*" the context that matters is "Pay no attention to the government shutdown, Democrats literally hate kids with cancer!" or "Harry Reid just said he doesn't care about kids with cancer....okay but you realize the government is shut down right now, yes?"

Find me the person who watches that ad in earnest and doesn't see it for what it is AND cares about it more than the shutdown and I will give them the naivete nobel prize.

In short: Even if Harry Reid literally meant what they're accusing him of I still wouldn't trade it for the situation Republicans find themselves in right now.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 4, 2013

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

HootTheOwl posted:

There's a big difference between a portal site that is designed for public consumption and intended to operate over a long term having launch-day issues due to traffic, and a private system designed to function for a single, high-capacity day whose load could be predicted and planned for.

Orca's issues are well known, and all of them are a result of shoddy work and planning. The issues behind the healthcare.gov site are less known, but given that the system works at all it's probably more of a capacity issue than a fundamental design problem.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
There's a world of difference but I still wouldn't be taking IT advice from people who had a presidential candidate (AKA throw all your top talent and money this guys way) who ran into comcast bandwith caps on election day.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Intel&Sebastian posted:

There's a world of difference but I still wouldn't be taking IT advice from people who had a presidential candidate (AKA throw all your top talent and money this guys way) who ran into comcast bandwith caps on election day.

Wait, you're kidding. Romney ran into bandwidth caps? I gotta see a link for this.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

RadicalR posted:

Wait, you're kidding. Romney ran into bandwidth caps? I gotta see a link for this.

Romney accidentally published his "Transition" website the next day.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Romney accidentally published his "Transition" website the next day.

Wow, that's very courageous of him considering the incredibly homophobic nature of his base.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'm not shocked that they made ads out of it, especially considering how little else they have to go on but the context that matters isn't "Harry Reid was actually talking about the piecemeal bills and*sudden snoring*" the context that matters is "Pay no attention to the government shutdown, Democrats literally hate kids with cancer!" or "Harry Reid just said he doesn't care about kids with cancer....okay but you realize the government is shut down right now, yes?"

Find me the person who watches that ad in earnest and doesn't see it for what it is AND cares about it more than the shutdown and I will give them the naivete nobel prize.

In short: Even if Harry Reid literally meant what they're accusing him of I still wouldn't trade it for the situation Republicans find themselves in right now.

Yep, anybody who bites on this horseshit is already too far gone to matter.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

quiggy posted:

Wow, that's very courageous of him considering the incredibly homophobic nature of his base.

Always happens to the losers. Look at Al Gore's beard.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

RadicalR posted:

General ORCA story

http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nat...ucrO/story.html

And then this quote which tells a slightly different story than what I thought happened regarding Comcast...

quote:

At one point, the network connection to the Romney campaign's headquarters went down because Internet provider Comcast reportedly thought the traffic was caused by a denial of service attack.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/11/inside-team-romneys-whale-of-an-it-meltdown/

Either way I love it. "Hey boss, we're running a national election day campaign on a Comcast business internet connection...maybe we want to call them and let them know? No? Alright."

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Always happens to the losers. Look at Al Gore's beard.
Tipper?

Nf3
Oct 9, 2012

Orange Devil posted:

One party wants to take care of all the sick kids, the other party only wants to take care of the kids who have cancer.

This is how you do messaging on this Democrats, pay attention.
How do we even know the Democrats are sincere in anything they say or do.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

OAquinas posted:

There's a big difference between a portal site that is designed for public consumption and intended to operate over a long term having launch-day issues due to traffic, and a private system designed to function for a single, high-capacity day whose load could be predicted and planned for.

Orca's issues are well known, and all of them are a result of shoddy work and planning. The issues behind the healthcare.gov site are less known, but given that the system works at all it's probably more of a capacity issue than a fundamental design problem.

Hi there! I'm a tech consultant who has worked on these systems before and has peers who are currently working on one of these go-lives. The big problem is that despite knowing there was going to be an initial rush it'd be dumb to buy all the extra hardware/bandwidth for that alone when the long-term operation is going to be several orders of magnitude less stressful. This system is designed to have people coming and going on their own schedule, not everyone in the state goon-rushing it all at once.

Think of the iOS7 launch. When it first dropped everyone and their mother was trying to download it. The system was designed to handle small handfuls of people upgrading at their leisure, so it crashed repeatedly and most people gave up. The key part is then with everyone waiting a random amount of time to come back and try again, the load was far more distributed and manageable, so by the second try everyone could get it no problem. Same thing is happening with these exchanges and if anything, the fact they're being overrun is a very good sign that people are enthusiastic about signing up.

So to answer your question: It is a fundamental design tradeoff, not a problem.

Nf3
Oct 9, 2012

kik2dagroin posted:

:argh: Obama! Telling the press about what would happen if the debt ceiling was breached!

https://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2013/10/03/unprecedented_an_american_president_attempts_to_talk_down_the_stock_market

Goddamn, the longer this goes on the more crazy they're getting. It looks like we're going to be riding this right up to the wire. I'm so looking forward to Rush's inane babbling in the event of a Republican cave-in.

When Rush talks about how the Democratic party is off the rails and is self imploding I'm reminded of that scene in 'School Ties' where Matt Damon cheats on the history exam but blames Brendan Frasier for it instead.

Rush's material is just write about the Democrats/Obama all the bad stuff the GOP/Tea Party is doing, but does he really believe in it?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nf3 posted:

When Rush talks about how the Democratic party is off the rails and is self imploding I'm reminded of that scene in 'School Ties' where Matt Damon cheats on the history exam but blames Brendan Frasier for it instead.

Rush's material is just write about the Democrats/Obama all the bad stuff the GOP/Tea Party is doing, but does he really believe in it?

We've had this discussion over and over in various formats, but I still dunno. Rush strikes me as just an opportunist. Whether or not he believes the bullshit that sprays from his mouth in a steady stream is probably irrelevant to him, he just wants to make money.

Doesn't make him any less of a gigantic piece of poo poo, either.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Necc0 posted:

Hi there! I'm a tech consultant who has worked on these systems before and has peers who are currently working on one of these go-lives. The big problem is that despite knowing there was going to be an initial rush it'd be dumb to buy all the extra hardware/bandwidth for that alone when the long-term operation is going to be several orders of magnitude less stressful. This system is designed to have people coming and going on their own schedule, not everyone in the state goon-rushing it all at once.

Think of the iOS7 launch. When it first dropped everyone and their mother was trying to download it. The system was designed to handle small handfuls of people upgrading at their leisure, so it crashed repeatedly and most people gave up. The key part is then with everyone waiting a random amount of time to come back and try again, the load was far more distributed and manageable, so by the second try everyone could get it no problem. Same thing is happening with these exchanges and if anything, the fact they're being overrun is a very good sign that people are enthusiastic about signing up.

So to answer your question: It is a fundamental design tradeoff, not a problem.

That was my point, sorry if it didn't come off that clearly. HC.Gov likely had some hardening, but intense utilization overcame that. Orca was just a poo poo program from conception to implementation, and they had far tighter control over the access and use of it. It's apples and oranges.

poor nose
Oct 29, 2005

So Hannity just played the clip from Jimmy Kimmel where they're asking people their opinions on Obamacare vs the ACA and he was outraged at the misinformation out there, saying it was "Pretty serious stuff." I love it for the fact that he was one of the main contributors to that misinformation and now these people look dumb as hell.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"

poor nose posted:

So Hannity just played the clip from Jimmy Kimmel where they're asking people their opinions on Obamacare vs the ACA and he was outraged at the misinformation out there, saying it was "Pretty serious stuff." I love it for the fact that he was one of the main contributors to that misinformation and now these people look dumb as hell.

He probably thinks that the "misinformation" is that people don't hate it enough when it's called ACA.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Why won't anyone think about those who speak American?

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I just wanted to share an observation I had about Right Wing Media. I'm sure everyone would agree that all political motivated media, media produced with a intent of supporting a political point of view, is propaganda. Last night I watched the the 1925 silent film "Battleship Potemkin" on Netflix and some of the themes and ideas in the movie just jumped out at me. Now this movie is just pure propaganda from beginning to end but it is effective.

Right wing talking heads drone on and on about tyranny and injustice, themes they repeat over and over about the socialist President Obama. Well this 1925 movie addressed the same themes except instead of the tyranny of people being asked by their government to buy health insurance from huge capitalist corporations for the well being of all of the country you had an Admiral ordering the execution of sailors for refusing to eat rotten meat and the Czar's troops firing on a crowd without warning and killing mothers with children in their arms. Both examples of tyranny are real, in so far as they are based on real events, but I would suggest that one example definitely outweighs the other.

Bottom line, gently caress the talking heads and their lame rear end claims of tyranny and injustice.

edit: from post above, yeah right, there are no doctors in america that speak a second language. My kids pediatrician volunteers every summer for a group that provides free medical care to children in South and Central America, he speaks 3 languages in addition to English. Jesus Christ these people.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 4, 2013

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

edit: sorry double post

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

At my hospital we have a pair of phones sitting next to each other. When I need a translator, I pick up the phone and tell the operator what language I need. A couple minutes later, a person fluent in [language] and English calls me back. I hold one phone, the patient holds another, and we converse through a translator. I've only used it twice, but it's a really neat service.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I was unaware that doctors were legally barred from understanding languages other than English.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Everyone knows that outside of English speaking countries no one receives medical treatment, none of the doctors there can understand them. Also if one person can't fill out forms in English then no one in their household can string two words together in English. English and non-English can't mix, they're like oil and water.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I was unaware that doctors were legally barred from understanding languages other than English.

Especially Latin, none of those guys probably learned any of that language in med school.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I am amazed again and again at these people's lack of understanding concerning how the loving world functions.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

What is the logical endpoint of her statement, people who don't speak English don't deserve healthcare?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

It's really the phrase itself that's getting to me. I don't really mind most memo-born slogans that everyone in the entirety of the GOP is suddenly spouting, but this one is really obnoxious. Who would ever say "not ready for prime time" when "not ready" would do? Nobody but a soundbite-spewing robot. It's like it's crafted for an NFL interview, "oh yeah, Tony's not quite ready for prime time yet" except that actually makes some sort of sense.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 4, 2013