Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Good relief to a bad day? Hand feeding a furball some kale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Kirby? He'll be a fry cook on Dreamland.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Good relief to a bad day? Hand feeding a furball some kale.

Hell, even just that moment when you open the cage and they sort of slowly wander out as if they've never been on the outside, only to take off like some sort of crazy rocket.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Abe Frohman posted:

Hell, even just that moment when you open the cage and they sort of slowly wander out as if they've never been on the outside, only to take off like some sort of crazy rocket.

She takes a running leap out the door, and plays VC ambush with my feet afterwards.

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Kirby? He'll be a fry cook on Dreamland.
Both of mine take their sweet time coming out, it's kind of funny because the way they do it it's as if they've never been out of the cages, though they spend roughly 16 hours a day out. Then they come and breath heavily on my feet after they calm down.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

I got one who immediately runs out (you know, before I change my mind or something) and does a victory lap around the room. And one who'll not even consider getting out before I pet the hell out of him.

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Do not put rocks in brain.
One of mine did a dramatic preparatory yawn and stretch before rocketing out and binkying like a crazy person the other day. Usually I just get the four identical little paws beating on the door when they hear me coming. Being locked up for 7 hours is apparently tough livin'. :3:

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Mine likes to hop around her cage and jump at the door when she hears me coming in the morning. Then as soon as I open the door, she sits there and watches me as I make my coffee, and then reluctantly leaves her cage and slowly creeps around before bolting up the stairs, and then coming back down 10 seconds later.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Man I just realized that bunnies were like me when I was 5 years old.

Hana Dammit
Nov 29, 2004

Punch-drunk tears of a clone.
xx

Hana Dammit fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Feb 16, 2017

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
That is adorable.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Goddamnit every post about Butter makes me so jealous

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I would love to try that with Harriet, except it'd end with my face being torn to shred, and a black furball running around Ottawa savaging the feet of anyone who stumbled upon it.

voodoonoid
May 15, 2003

Turkeys fear me!
Finally moved into a new place and Hass seems to have taken the move a lot better then the cat, at least I thought.

The first day she was out and about and jumping on the furniture. Today however she seems to be a lot more content just hanging out in her cage (strange to me because she hates her cage.) I'm going to take it as she is just getting used to her new surroundings.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
never mind then.

I just saw this on the front page of YouTube. That bunny screaming sound is surprisingly cute.

Deep State of Mind fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Oct 1, 2013

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Bloodnose posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxFfxTZA6ao

I just saw this on the front page of YouTube. That bunny screaming sound is surprisingly cute.

Did you seriously just post a picture of a baby bunny getting picked off by a hawk to the thread about pet bunnies? Real nice, dude.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Serella posted:

Did you seriously just post a picture of a baby bunny getting picked off by a hawk to the thread about pet bunnies? Real nice, dude.

...It was kinda a wild rabbit. I wasn't really that bothered by it, I guess others might be. I'd be devastated if one of the hundreds of raptors around here went for Ella, but that's why she hangs out exclusively under a screened in patio. I'm still waiting for the day one of them dive-bombs the screen room.

In other news, we have found a plant Ella wont eat that we can keep on the patio! Like deer, rabbits also don't like rosemary.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Are hawks a common threat to pet rabbits? I shared the video because it surprised me and showed something I would never expect to see. I've never heard of anyone's pet being picked up by a raptor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSZF9Z9VDic

It's a pretty cute baby though.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
A neighbor of ours had his little pet dog attacked by an eagle. I've seen an ibis dive-bombed by a Bald Eagle. And Ospreys fishing in my backyard pond is not uncommon.

Big birds of prey are a concern in the south, but they generally stick to their natural prey sources. With the notable exception of destroying Koi ponds. Giant delicious orange goldfish. Who can blame them? Oh, they also go for chickens but it's not so much of a problem if the flock has cover to get under, and a rooster to keep watch over the girls.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Sep 30, 2013

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Some gigantic raptor of some kind nests on top of my building. I'm on the top floor, so it often looks like he/she is flying right at my window. I wonder if my bunny saw that and had a heart attack and that's what killed him? Wouldn't explain the blood though.

Obviously he was never in any actual raptor danger in his high-rise apartment though.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

There was a pair of red tail hawks, plus occasional other bird of prey, near where I lived. One time my sister's bun was out on the deck but just sat under the grill for a while. We figured he was sulking until we turned around to go back inside and saw one sitting on top of the roof. They would sometimes hang out on trees where they could be seen from where Mr. Bun liked to sit and he seemed to just sit in his house more then but it was hard to tell. The couple times he did warning thumps were in places where he could probably see a hawk.

At least one of the local wild rabbits was attacked and likely taken by a bird of prey. We found the fur and feathers in the vegetable garden. Kind of serves them right for always laying down in the middle of a large open field with no cover.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Suspect Bucket posted:

A neighbor of ours had his little pet dog attacked by an eagle. I've seen an ibis dive-bombed by a Bald Eagle. And Ospreys fishing in my backyard pond is not uncommon.

Big birds of prey are a concern in the south, but they generally stick to their natural prey sources. With the notable exception of destroying Koi ponds. Giant delicious orange goldfish. Who can blame them? Oh, they also go for chickens but it's not so much of a problem if the flock has cover to get under, and a rooster to keep watch over the girls.

I heard our hens go crazy a few weeks ago and I ran otuside and there was a hawk circling our tree really low. I guess it figured chickens taste good (hint they do) Im pretty sure it didnt plan on a 200 lbs rooster stand in showing up though. Stupid hawks.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

My roomate has a parrot. So far, the first meeting between it and Harriet went badly in that she freaked it out causing it to fly around screeching, which freaked Harriet out so she starting running around thumping.

Subsequent meetings have been Harriet seeking something to sit under, and then her watching it carefully, plotting her strike. She doesn't thump, she doesn't get upset, she watches, and plots, I swear.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Serella posted:

Seriously. Is it not common sense not to post loving videos of rabbit death to a thread about rabbits. The gently caress.

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010
The one time I heard a rabbit scream in real life, it was almost horrifying. It was when Penny got her head stuck between the bars of the x-pen at 3 in the morning. It sounded like a little girl wailing, but more high-pitched, and it just kept going. At once, everyone in the house bolted up out of bed and ran into the room. My heart was pounding, I expected to see a pool of blood or something equally awful.

The moment we switched on the lights, she wrenched her head out on her own and stomped around, like it had been nothing. Rabbits are weird.

Huge Liability fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 30, 2013

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Bloodnose posted:

Seriously what the gently caress is wrong with you? Edit the video out of your post.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

DS at Night posted:

Seriously. Is it not common sense not to post loving videos of rabbit death to a thread about rabbits. The gently caress.

Exactly. It's basically why the meat rabbit thread from long ago got moved to GWS, even though they were treated very well and the thread was very clear about them not being pets.

Like, there are videos of ferrets being used to hunt rabbits and I could understand them being posted in the ferret thread, but not in the thread of people who keep rabbits are pets. It might be fascinating to some, but just overall insensitive.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Okay my bad. Deleted the video.

Hana Dammit
Nov 29, 2004

Punch-drunk tears of a clone.
xx

Hana Dammit fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Feb 16, 2017

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
This is what I imagine Butter to be like :3:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

He's a lot nicer about not getting petted than my old rabbit, who would charge you over and over until you started petting him.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Mine start adorably sinking their teeth into my ankles when they feel I don't pay enough attention to them.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Really missing BP these days :(

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

I'm sorry, I wish I could help, does it help if I start listing all the horrible things my rabbits do on a regular basis? Guess it won't though, and you're entitled to only remember the good parts, sorry :(

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

DS at Night posted:

I'm sorry, I wish I could help, does it help if I start listing all the horrible things my rabbits do on a regular basis? Guess it won't though, and you're entitled to only remember the good parts, sorry :(

Nah it's just because when both of them died I had my friend up here and then she brought her bunny up here for me to bunnysit when she was gone. Now I'm alone without her or her bunny and it's kinda hitting me :/

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

luscious posted:

Nah it's just because when both of them died I had my friend up here and then she brought her bunny up here for me to bunnysit when she was gone. Now I'm alone without her or her bunny and it's kinda hitting me :/

I know what you mean. I still occasionally miss Fitzgerald who was my bunny in high school. He was the most even tempered bunny, who would sit in my lap while I petted him during high school. Harriet, while while the same colour of fur, could not be mroe different. Thick fur around her, hyper, and rarely likes being petted. Fitz was my best friend during high school.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Had a scare wil Ella today. She went to bed fine, having had a lovely day of eating watermelon rinds. I was not feeling well, slept in, and I've been so concerned with my dog Max and his dentistry that I didn't get to letting Ella out until noon. She was hiding in her hutch, would not come out, would not eat anything. So off to the vet! She seemed better at the vet, being quite cuddly and inquisitive. No obvious reasons for her lethargy, but mom had noticed a cut on her back paw that seemed nothing more then a scratch, probably skinned it running around on the patio.

Of course once I point it out the scratch turns out to be an inch long and quite deep abscess. Uuugh. So we have some bayatril and orders to give her less treats and make her eat hay. She's also got some Ivermectin for a few days from now to deal with her ear-mites, which are low-grade but of some concern. And of course her molars are a bit long, and she'll need a trim some time in the near future.

She's eating now and seems a bit better, but not herself. She'll be on cage rest for a few days, and just had her first dose of bayatril. So she and Max are infirm. I'm sure one of the cats will decide to swoon and fall ill tomorrow. Stanley is so jealous of all the attention they are getting.

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010
Here's something I thought you guys would enjoy.

The bun in the stroller is Sunki, the first rabbit to become a registered service animal in the province of Ontario, Canada. He has all the same rights as other service animals. His owner has autism, PTSD, depression, and anxiety. Sunki helps him go out and be happy. :3:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Hana Dammit posted:

Rabbit Lovers Do Not Enjoy Video of Baby Rabbit's Death, story at 11.

Here is a nice video of a rabbit making hella noises and not because he's been condemned to be raptor dinner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UQdeJ7qzyg

VVVVV haha yes Butter does this. He doesn't grunt really tho, its more of a growl and he also punches with his sharp little feet. So demanding!

My rabbits never grunted or thumped at us if we weren't petting them enough, but I woke up from a nap once to find one of my rabbits had shoved his head under my outstretched hand.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Huge Liability posted:

Here's something I thought you guys would enjoy.

The bun in the stroller is Sunki, the first rabbit to become a registered service animal in the province of Ontario, Canada. He has all the same rights as other service animals. His owner has autism, PTSD, depression, and anxiety. Sunki helps him go out and be happy. :3:

Honestly, if we could get a sturdier and more consistently empathetic breed of rabbit, they would make the best emotional service animals. My mom is always commenting now that "Everyone should get to experience a rabbit like Ella". Well, when she's feeling cuddly.

Imagine if we could get a bunch of Butter, is what i'm saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Do not put rocks in brain.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Honestly, if we could get a sturdier and more consistently empathetic breed of rabbit, they would make the best emotional service animals.

I've had a few people mention they've encountered Flemmies at hospitals as therapy rabbits...it's a really interesting idea.

Grace Hopper was a little disgruntled at being physical support for her sister this morning:

Only registered members can see post attachments!