Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Aishan posted:

Speaking of bounties. If you have one on your head, is there anything stopping a friend from killing you and just giving you a share of the cash to make up for medical costs?

Nope! I had an angry pubbie put a $9000 bounty on my head and so I just arranged for a party member to meet me up with me and kill me. We then shared 50% of the bounty.

RE: Market Manipulation in Online the most we can do as a community is identify a stock that is bottoming out and throw our collective bank at it until it starts to recover and pubbies start getting in on the action driving the price higher and higher until it gets to a point where its too expensive and it stops growing. At that point we all pull out and identify the next stock and repeat the process ad nauseam.

Zip! fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Oct 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

the boston bomber posted:

So by the looks of it the new patch didn't fix the character, money, cars, etc. not saving issue?

The patch did fix the cars disappearing from your singleplayer garage issue. The other issue with disappearing characters and money is due to the rockstar cloud being down and unable to save your progress. Pretty ironic seeing how rockstar rags on ~the cloud~ in a radio segment in the game.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

numbs posted:

I thought it was the other way around. :shepicide:

Yes, kinda. You can still die if your are close to an explosion, lets say if the car you are sitting in explodes. You can also be ran over while in passive mode and die from fall damage. The only thing you cant be is targeted and hurt by direct gunfire.

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

Well I tried the SVG hack and was able to make this emblem, but it wouldn't publish to our crew correctly, alas.

numbs
Jul 20, 2013

by XyloJW

the boston bomber posted:

So by the looks of it the new patch didn't fix the character, money, cars, etc. not saving issue?

It's been released already?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

numbs posted:

It's been released already?

Hes talking about the first patch that enabled online.

numbs
Jul 20, 2013

by XyloJW

TjyvTompa posted:

Yes, kinda. You can still die if your are close to an explosion, lets say if the car you are sitting in explodes. You can also be ran over while in passive mode and die from fall damage. The only thing you cant be is targeted and hurt by direct gunfire.

Why is passive mode even a feature then? Does it take away abilities to do things?

rafiki
Mar 23, 2010

TjyvTompa posted:

Hes talking about the first patch that enabled online.

My PS3 downloaded a patch this morning and I already had the first one...

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

numbs posted:

Why is passive mode even a feature then? Does it take away abilities to do things?

You cant shoot other people for one thing, and people cant target you with guns when you are in your car. Passive mode is nice because you can hide where you cant be ran over and not be killed, for example if you are carrying lots of cash and don't want to be killed while depositing them through your phone. It's only $100 to enabled it you know.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

rafiki posted:

My PS3 downloaded a patch this morning and I already had the first one...

Theres nothing on the rockstar support page about the patch having been released: http://support.rockstargames.com/hc/en-us/articles/200426246
Maybe you followed the "advice" to delete the patch and forgot you had done that?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

TjyvTompa posted:

No. Cars online cost much less than cars in the singleplayer just for this reason.
Have you actually looked at Legendary Motorsport while in online mode?

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

No, I just booted the game on PS3 and it downloaded version 1.02 patch.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Passive mode is useful if you exit a mission lobby after playing with pubbies. You're usually carrying over $5k and you can activate it quickly through the Back/Select Menu to avoid getting hosed over.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

TjyvTompa posted:

Not totally right. I've died TWICE now while in a car, in passive mode from gunfire. First time I'm taking a corner, some dude tbones me then dumps a shotgun into my face killing me. Second time guy sandwhiches me into a wall and then sprays his SMG into my back window, killing me.

I respawned again close to the 2nd guy and he tried running me over but I dodged. He then proceeded to shoot at me but that didn't work because I wasn't in a car.

rafiki
Mar 23, 2010

TjyvTompa posted:

Theres nothing on the rockstar support page about the patch having been released: http://support.rockstargames.com/hc/en-us/articles/200426246
Maybe you followed the "advice" to delete the patch and forgot you had done that?

Nah, and just checked here, they say it's live: http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/51512/grand-theft-auto-online-launch-updates.html.

My character's still vanished but the patch was never going to fix that I don't think.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I wish I could wear hoodies under body armor instead of over. :smith:

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

rafiki posted:

Nah, and just checked here, they say it's live: http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/51512/grand-theft-auto-online-launch-updates.html.

My character's still vanished but the patch was never going to fix that I don't think.

Sorry, seems they haven't updated the page they keep telling everyone to follow for live updates :x

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Tokubetsu posted:

Not totally right. I've died TWICE now while in a car, in passive mode from gunfire. First time I'm taking a corner, some dude tbones me then dumps a shotgun into my face killing me. Second time guy sandwhiches me into a wall and then sprays his SMG into my back window, killing me.

I respawned again close to the 2nd guy and he tried running me over but I dodged. He then proceeded to shoot at me but that didn't work because I wasn't in a car.

That's weird, I tried killing a dude in passive mode yesterday and I kept dumping mags into him but nothing happened until I blew up his car with him in it. 360 if it matters.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Zip! posted:

:siren:PUT THIS IN THE OP WITH THE VIOLENT DUCT MISSION INFO:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk4X4y4Zmww

Could do without the solid minute of nothing interesting.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I wish I could wear hoodies under body armor instead of over. :smith:

Depends on what you are wearing, if you have a t-shirt it will be over but if you have a jacket it will be under.

Jtbenns
Aug 13, 2007
RWREEE
Did the patch remedy the tutorial mission issue? Last night every time I tried to get in I would be at an infinite loading screen, I ended up just going to bed. Seems as everyone I knew who was on last night had already passed that mission.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
It's been hours now, are Microsoft really that finnicky about patches and stuff? Been waiting a while for the 360 patch.

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

Why are you guys buying expensive apartments and such when there are 20 pages of people screaming that they lost their investment? Just wait! Yes it sucks but it's not like you can't see their cloud servers are still on fire. Come on.

Also to everyone upset about proper economy balance and grind: GTA Online is about fun. It's not about WoW raid tiers and who gets the coolest loot. It's playing co-op/adversarial missions and eventually a mission editor with limitless options and permutations on mission structure. If you need GTA$ to participate in that awesome sandbox of a world then you have the option to BUY it (and support R* keeping servers up) instead of HAVING to grind.

This is all pretty easy to understand when you stop raging and just think.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

TehGherkin posted:

It's been hours now, are Microsoft really that finnicky about patches and stuff? Been waiting a while for the 360 patch.

Worst case it'll be 1-2 weeks, going by past patching for 360 games. They did let off that "pay us a bunch and we'll check out that patch and maybe publish it for you" scheme so they won't be afraid from patching it up on the 360.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Oct 4, 2013

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

theBeaz posted:

Also to everyone upset about proper economy balance and grind: GTA Online is about fun. It's not about WoW raid tiers and who gets the coolest loot. It's playing co-op/adversarial missions and eventually a mission editor with limitless options and permutations on mission structure. If you need GTA$ to participate in that awesome sandbox of a world then you have the option to BUY it (and support R* keeping servers up) instead of HAVING to grind.
You know, I expected simple stupid fun from GTA:O, but instead, I'm being made to grind missions with lovely payouts to even just afford the tools for the stupid fun. You need an apartment, that's worth a two digit number of missions, fast cars are even way more expensive, and don't even talk about car mods. Or wanting multiple fancy cars.

Look at SA:MP and figure that there's a lot of stupid but fun poo poo to be improvised in GTA. But instead, you have to do things you may not really want, or pay a lot of real money for it.

--edit: At this point, I hope there's going to be a mod team on the upcoming PC version to reimplement/hack the multiplayer to bypass all that stupid poo poo.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Combat Pretzel posted:

You know, I expected simple stupid fun from GTA:O, but instead, I'm being made to grind missions with lovely payouts to even just afford the tools for the stupid fun. You need an apartment, that's worth a two digit number of missions, fast cars are even way more expensive, and don't even talk about car mods. Or wanting multiple fancy cars.

Look at SA:MP and figure that there's a lot of stupid but fun poo poo to be improvised in GTA. But instead, you have to do things you may not really want, or pay a lot of real money for it.

Not strictly true. Yes the missions are a ways to a means to an end but you can do a lot of stupid poo poo for absolutely free. Some of the most fun I had last night was getting into a Tank Death Match with goons and as others have mentioned Top Fun and Top Fun II sounds like the best lobby in the game - neither cost a thing.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Yeah, at the moment it feels like a proper F2P game rather than an online component of GTAV which I can mess around in.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Combat Pretzel posted:

--edit: At this point, I hope there's going to be a mod team on the upcoming PC version to reimplement/hack the multiplayer to bypass all that stupid poo poo.

I don't know, I'm finding the missions pretty fun. I was in a 1v2 in a Crooked Cop mission, and I won. Woo.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Combat Pretzel posted:

Look at SA:MP and figure that there's a lot of stupid but fun poo poo to be improvised in GTA. But instead, you have to do poo poo you don't really want, or pay a lot of real money for it.

I kinda agree. My main gripe is with the car upgrades, for some upgrades for example the engine, brakes and suspension you have to WIN races with that class of car to unlock the upgrades. And that's just for that one class of car. You have to win 12 races to unlock the very first set of brakes. It's a grind doing it with a friend, I couldn't think about doing that legit. There's one mission most people grind it's called Violent Ducts and is a mission Gerald gives you. It takes a couple of minutes at most and gives you ~1200 RP and $9000. Feels pretty weird grinding for cash in a game, I'd rather pay real money for some ingame cash, my time is not worthless.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I had ten times as much fun just riding around beefing with rival gangs in lobbies than doing missions.

The cops usually gently caress that up though. They're a constant nuisance and really won't ever gently caress off. Why they made driving stolen cars always get a star is pretty loving stupid.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

theBeaz posted:

This is all pretty easy to understand when you stop raging and just think.

But fun is an entirely subjective principle and if being able to buy the car, house and clothing you want is your definition of fun in GTAO, the economy being flawed is counter-productive to that. In no way should a game encourage you to spend more of your money, it can be an option to players who would like it. There's no way to opt out of that economy and if dying costs more than you make from regular gameplay, that's a problem. You can't assume grinding is normal behaviour, and a player shouldn't have to feel as though they have to to achieve their goal. Considering people have said that after being corpse camped, they've managed to destroy the car of the person camping them and then be hit with the bill for that too, it's an issue.

tl;dr: What's fun for you and fun for another is different, so saying GTA Online is about fun, not spending money isn't really valid as reasoning for anything.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

MrLonghair posted:

Worst case it'll be 1-2 weeks, going by past patching for 360 games. They did let off that "pay us a bunch and we'll check out that patch and maybe publish it for you" scheme so they won't be afraid from patching it up on the 360.

Wow. I really hope this isn't the case, that'd be pretty ridiculous.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

RBX posted:

The cops usually gently caress that up though. They're a constant nuisance and really won't ever gently caress off. Why they made driving stolen cars always get a star is pretty loving stupid.

They really want you to use the car that you stole and registered/insured for free from Simeon. There's a heap of options to say who can use your car and car emptying mechanics if people stole it.

The cheapest garage is actually pretty cheap if you get some decent missions or rob a bunch of convenience stores, it's under an overpass right next to one of the Los Santos Customs shops. It's $25,000 from what I recall.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

SA:MP being the game where they added MMO style raids that consisted of 40+ guys hiding in a hallway while you were constantly healed and took over an hour to finish. That's what you think will make it more fun? :v:

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah gently caress that poo poo. I just want Rockstar to fix the bugs and I will be totally happy with them. GTAO is like a good version of APB, for once.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

TehGherkin posted:

Wow. I really hope this isn't the case, that'd be pretty ridiculous.

It won't be. Both Sony and MS seem to be making exceptions for this patch to be rushed out the door quicker than other games. The patch will come out sometime today.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

StabMasterArson posted:

SA:MP being the game where they added MMO style raids that consisted of 40+ guys hiding in a hallway while you were constantly healed and took over an hour to finish. That's what you think will make it more fun? :v:

Most people who played SA:MP beyond the first year or so played on roleplaying servers actually. Some ideas seem to have been taken from SA:MP (selling a stolen car for several thousand was a mechanic for basically every RP server) and some were actually done a little better in SA:MP. Paintball, for instance, was a game mode where you had guns with unlimited shots as a deathmatch equivalent with no death penalties. In GTA V you have still don't have to pay for your deaths but you have to pay for the ammo that you use.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Oct 4, 2013

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Zip! posted:

as others have mentioned Top Fun and Top Fun II sounds like the best lobby in the game - neither cost a thing.
Where are lobbies in the game? PS3 here.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Well they know what side their bread is buttered for sure. There are a not insignifigant number of PC players who actually shelled out money on an XBox360 or PS3 to play this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, the other patch was out on 360 the day after it was announced before the PS3 one was, what leads you to believe that this time it's going to be several days just because it's been 3 or 4 hours after the PS3 one?

• Locked thread