Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Of course Lu Lingqi wields the weapon Lu Bu has in DW6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Maleketh posted:

Of course Lu Lingqi wields the weapon Lu Bu has in DW6.

Was it good or bad? I remember it could be disconnected and have two double-voulge things, at least in a cutscene he did that. drat that sounds like a better weapon choice.

But, the animations might be the same I guess. The Blaze Bow looks loving wicked though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That Vita Dynasty Warriors game, yay or nay?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Lunethex posted:

Was it good or bad? I remember it could be disconnected and have two double-voulge things, at least in a cutscene he did that. drat that sounds like a better weapon choice.

But, the animations might be the same I guess. The Blaze Bow looks loving wicked though.

It wasn't that good at all. But to be fair I'm not sure if I'm hating the weapon on merit of its moveset, or because DW6 had a way of making everything lovely. DW8 meanwhile makes everything so much nicer, so the halberdstika may well be very fun.

Sakurazuka posted:

Both. It's a good DW game where it's a DW game, but it has some stupid loving gimmick minigames that specifically, clumsily and irritatingly exploit gyroscopic / touchscreen controls. They suck. The touchscreen duelling loving blow. And you can't disable them.

I still got 60 hours out of it. I felt I got my money's worth but I can't just straight up state I unequivocably loved it.

5er fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 4, 2013

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Sakurazuka posted:

Nay. Touchscreen bullshit ruins it.

We should be getting some good Warriors games on Vita very soon. Only real issue is whether they get localized.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

5er posted:

It wasn't that good at all. But to be fair I'm not sure if I'm hating the weapon on merit of its moveset, or because DW6 had a way of making everything lovely. DW8 meanwhile makes everything so much nicer, so the halberdstika may well be very fun.

This video of Xiaoqiao (at around 2:00 onwards) makes the game seem passable but I can't say I really understand what exactly DW6 did that everybody hated, it looks like it borrowed most from Samurai Warriors just looking at overall design.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Lunethex posted:

This video of Xiaoqiao (at around 2:00 onwards) makes the game seem passable but I can't say I really understand what exactly DW6 did that everybody hated, it looks like it borrowed most from Samurai Warriors just looking at overall design.

I will summarize what I remember the two most prevalent problems were: the 'renbu' system was absolute garbage, and enemy officer duel circles were a nice concept that were tedious, horrible and irritating in practice.

Less prevalent, DW6 was where generic movesets only distinguished by EX moves were introduced. And, a few characters had their default weapons replaced with (often dramatically) different weapons that irritated franchise purists. Best example I can give you, is that they took away Xiahou Dun's scimitar and replaced it with a club. There were probably actual tears of joy from some people when they put a podao in his hands in the next incarnation.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
"A few characters" is kind of an understatement. Many of them got stuffed into one of a handful of generic movesets - Ma Chao, Sun Ce, Zhang He and Tashi Ci all had the same bland, lovely spear moveset, for example. The cloned characters are listed here.

That was the thing that pissed me off about 6. I could take or leave renbu, but when you deliberately take a cast of characters in a game that's known for its variety and cram almost all of them into a handful of generic animations it's just stupid.

Chachi fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 4, 2013

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Policenaut posted:

[*]The character creator is "renewed" according to Tecmo Koei.[/list]
I kind of hope the actual creation part is at least on par with DW7E's.

5er posted:

or because DW6 had a way of making everything lovely.
Meng Huo's sweet as hell pillar/tree/mushroom in DW6E, your move :colbert:

I did kind of miss Zhu Rong and Xing Cai, though (Also, if they were going to axe a Qiao, they could at least have removed the one that looks and sounds like a twelve-year-old :japan:)

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

U.T. Raptor posted:

(Also, if they were going to axe a Qiao, they could at least have removed the one that looks and sounds like a twelve-year-old :japan:)

They did. They both look and sound 12.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Ultimate Mode in Orochi 2 Ultimate sure is...a thing. I really have no idea what I need to do to be productive in that mode, so to speak. My characters don't seem to be gaining levels or anything, the boxes don't have weapons in them but rather materials that I guess that lady wants for some reason, and I am not even close to being able to beat the first dungeon, since as I go on the enemies become tougher and tougher until I am just scratching them, I assume matching that counter on the right side that is always going up.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

Samurai Sanders posted:

Ultimate Mode in Orochi 2 Ultimate sure is...a thing. I really have no idea what I need to do to be productive in that mode, so to speak. My characters don't seem to be gaining levels or anything, the boxes don't have weapons in them but rather materials that I guess that lady wants for some reason, and I am not even close to being able to beat the first dungeon, since as I go on the enemies become tougher and tougher until I am just scratching them, I assume matching that counter on the right side that is always going up.

From what I can tell, you're supposed to activate all the circles in each level to open the exit. The main mechanic is the "miasma" within the level; it keeps going up and up, increasing enemy strength (apparently about level 30 is Shura difficulty). Opening chests can reduce it slightly, but I've only managed to clear the first one by sending everyone off to map the area for me then sprinting around activating the circles. After about 3-4 minutes the enemies become completely unmanageable so I suspect that it is a mode for after you complete the story.

uiruki fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Oct 9, 2013

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So here's some updates about Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends and Samurai Warriors 4.

Dynasty Warriors 8 XL (click here to see screenshots!)
  • Lu Bu is getting a full scale story mode path in XL, replacing his 1 shot "Other Story".
  • There will be even more hypothetical stages in XL, presumably Lu Bu is getting a bunch but Yuan Shao beating Cao Cao at Guandu is explicitly mentioned.
  • The standalone version of Xtreme Legends on PlayStation 3 and Vita will include a Free Mode this time around. PS4 owners, you get DW8 straight up so you're cool no matter what.

As for Samurai Warriors 4? Sakon Shima and Tadakatsu Honda are both revealed! Thanks to our good friends at Koei Warriors for the Famitsu scan.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Policenaut posted:

So here's some updates about Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends and Samurai Warriors 4.

Dynasty Warriors 8 XL (click here to see screenshots!)
  • Lu Bu is getting a full scale story mode path in XL, replacing his 1 shot "Other Story".
  • There will be even more hypothetical stages in XL, presumably Lu Bu is getting a bunch but Yuan Shao beating Cao Cao at Guandu is explicitly mentioned.
  • The standalone version of Xtreme Legends on PlayStation 3 and Vita will include a Free Mode this time around. PS4 owners, you get DW8 straight up so you're cool no matter what.

As for Samurai Warriors 4? Sakon Shima and Tadakatsu Honda are both revealed! Thanks to our good friends at Koei Warriors for the Famitsu scan.

Now the question is: Will the Lu Bu story have What-if scenarios?

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
I was sold on the PS4 version the second I saw it running at TGS.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

OatmealRaisin posted:

I was sold on the PS4 version the second I saw it running at TGS.

What was it like?

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Policenaut posted:

What was it like?

You know how in DW8 when you get to the part of Hu Lao where everything's on fire the PS3 starts chugging? Smooth as silk on PS4 :allears:

Also there's improved draw distance, more guys onscreen, ragdolls rather than canned animations, etc. It really improves on a lot of the things I look for in a Warriors game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

uiruki posted:

From what I can tell, you're supposed to activate all the circles in each level to open the exit. The main mechanic is the "miasma" within the level; it keeps going up and up, increasing enemy strength (apparently about level 30 is Shura difficulty). Opening chests can reduce it slightly, but I've only managed to clear the first one by sending everyone off to map the area for me then sprinting around activating the circles. After about 3-4 minutes the enemies become completely unmanageable so I suspect that it is a mode for after you complete the story.
Oh, okay, I thought those circles were just for healing. And yeah, it gave no indication of what level the characters should be to start, so I just went in with the characters at my normal baseline level of 10.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Lunethex posted:

Now the question is: Will the Lu Bu story have What-if scenarios?

I'm more interested in where the split is if there's a what if in all honesty.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Probably a successful breakout at Xiapi, or maybe (just maybe) him actually coming out on top during the Yan Province campaign?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Chortles posted:

Probably a successful breakout at Xiapi, or maybe (just maybe) him actually coming out on top during the Yan Province campaign?

I can't imagine there being much campaign after Xiapi, so I figure the route has to split before then.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I'd assume if it was at Xiapi, it'd lead to Lu Lingqi (and maybe Diaochan) working under Yuan Shu after her dad's death, since Lu Bu was trying to marry her off to his son or something around that time and have it end at Shouchun since it didn't show up in 8.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
As with many things, its Ravages of Time interpretation is far grimdarker.

Alternate thought, but why can't the route split also be before/instead of the usurpation of Xu Province from Liu Bei?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I was thinking Yan too, what if Lu Bu did get Cao Cao?

Also can't be the only one looking forward to Xingcai/Guan Yu's kids vs. Lu Lingqi.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

I hate to ask, but is there a "best" DW game to pick up at the moment? DW7 Empires? The last one I played was WO3, but the last "proper" game I played was SW2, I think. Should I wait for the next XL or something instead?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

I'd say 8. It's got its flaws, but on the whole it's a solid, incredibly fun game. 7 did present the story better, if that's important to you, but 8 definitely has the superior gameplay.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Maleketh posted:

I'd say 8. It's got its flaws, but on the whole it's a solid, incredibly fun game. 7 did present the story better, if that's important to you, but 8 definitely has the superior gameplay.

I'm a sucker for the faux-strategy thing that Empires does, shame it's so pricy on the PSN. Alright, I suppose I'll just wait for 8 to drop in price. Thanks for the help!

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Doomsayer posted:

I'm a sucker for the faux-strategy thing that Empires does, shame it's so pricy on the PSN. Alright, I suppose I'll just wait for 8 to drop in price. Thanks for the help!

It's also got co-op available in all modes, even when just playing story, so if you need help just drop in and ask.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Double posting but nobody posted this image of Fa Zheng. Or maybe it was in one of the articles linked previously and I'm blind, but hey.

Just thought it'd be worth sharing. His weapon is "connected fabric." He is with Shu as a strategist apparently.

e.

Out of curiosity I checked the actual XL page on Koei Wiki and lo and behold...

quote:

Includes a revamped bodyguard system which allows players to bring up to three bodyguards.
Ambition Mode has been revised to be a quasi-war simulation feature with the overall goal being to unite Han China. This feature is unlocked once the original goal of constructing Tongquetai Palace has been achieved. Players can build their palace by building relations with the characters they have earned in their ranks. As relations improve, the player's territory can expand. When enemy territory is challenged, the player will need to defeat a required number of its soldiers and a "boss" type commander in order to claim it. Other revisions to the system have been noted, but not yet revealed.
Gems can be earned within this mode and used to customize weapons.
The user interface for Free Mode has changed. Optional mission objectives vaguely based on those found within the original game's Story Mode are available for players to complete. Bonus experience points and other rewards are granted based on overall ranking.
Brings back Challenge Mode with an online ranking system. Achieving certain challenges may reward players with weapons. Each trial corresponds with the three weapon attributes, so it may be easier to equip a character with the proper trait.
Enables cross-platforming for multiplayer purposes. Saved data from the original title can be transferred to between any port of this game.
Downloadable content so far includes costumes.

I believe that's some new info there in the bold.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 14, 2013

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Just what Shu needs, another prominent strategist.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Who would be the most fitting English voices for our line up of Lu Lingqi, Yu Jin, Fa Zheng, Chen Gong, and Zhu Ran?

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

That guy from Dynasty Warriors 3. For all of them.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Nolan North as everyone.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

PureRok posted:

Nolan North as everyone.
Nolan North as Xiaoqiao...confuses me.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

PureRok posted:

Nolan North as everyone.

I would buy this game. Hell, I would buy this as DLC. Especially if he spends the whole time channeling Steven Heck.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

How was Pirate Warriors 2? I remember being really dissapointed that PW1 was just a bunch of QTEs and platforming segments and strayed from the Warriors formula a little bit too much, and even my incredible love for One Piece couldnt overcome the averageness of it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

How was Pirate Warriors 2? I remember being really dissapointed that PW1 was just a bunch of QTEs and platforming segments and strayed from the Warriors formula a little bit too much, and even my incredible love for One Piece couldnt overcome the averageness of it.

Haven't played it myself, but PW2 has received rave reviews from this thread.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Meme Emulator posted:

Basically, remember all that annoying bullshit like platforming, long story based stages with little fighting, and being forced to play as Luffy for like the entire game?

All that poo poo's gone. It's way closer to a traditional Musou game now, except every character plays RADICALLY different, you're encouraged to use a variety of different characters, and there's an original (kind of lame but who cares its Musou) story that allows you to use a lot of villains and side-characters before getting your stand-in Straw-hats back.

It's REALLY GOOD. The only thing that's disappointing about it is a lack of extra post-story content. If this had some sort of like conquest mode or something, even if it was really cheap and not very good, I'd rank it as one of the best Musou games yet.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

New trailer for SW2 with Xtreme Legends and Empires HD Version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWmniH0XtTk

Vita version is 5 gigs and digital exclusive so import the PS3 version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Man, I love Samurai Warriors music so much. Those little drums and the twangy thing. Good poo poo. And the flute.