Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

King Doom posted:

God dammit I've killed the queen bee literally twenty times so far and she will not drop the bee shirt! Argh!

I've gotten everything from her except the trophy, which is the one thing I actually really want, for my trophy wall.

I'm almost afraid to ask, but, do the hardmode bosses also have trophies? Because I'm really not looking forward to having to grind Skeletron Prime forever...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
I haven't played for a while and I started fresh so I could bitch about zombies that are too tedious to deal with using the starting equipment and I've found a bone sword and depth meter sitting in the same spot next to a small puddle of lava down in a deep cave. What did I just walk into?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
The Crimson doesn't have spiders, it has giant bloated ticks :gonk:

I still feel as though the Corruption has better music, and I prefer the way Ebonwood looks to Crimwood. Evil-zone wood makes for halfway decent lovely starter weapons if you feel like going that route. Still incredibly outclassed by iron and stuff but that doesn't look as cool. gently caress worm-type enemies though, those still suck. Is there a Crimson equivalent to the Vilethorn?

I never know what to design my housing to look like. I usually end up with just a bunch of lovely ramshackle wooden boxes on stilts.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
So when I inevitably do get to hardmode, how do I get the biome related keys? Can any monster in that biome drop it?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Walrus Pete posted:

(Good job on your correct opinion, Crimson rules :unsmigghh:)

The Crimson is awesome as hell. I still have a soft spot for the Corruption - the music is rad, the chasm layout is really distinctive and menacing and eerie, and the Eater of Worlds is a legitimately cool boss - but the Crimson completely nails that horrifying otherworldly Lovecraftian feel in a way the Corruption never did. When I visit the Corruption, I'm all upbeat about it because it's a cool Evil Dangerous Biome to kill stuff and get treasure in. When I visit the Crimson, I'm all :ohdear: because oh god this place is so dangerous and gross and scary oh no leave me alone spiders nooooo. It just fulfills the role of a horror-themed danger zone so much better.

GenericOverusedName posted:

Is there a Crimson equivalent to the Vilethorn?

Yeah, it's called the Crimson Rod and it's awesome. It summons a floating blood cloud that rains deadly blood on everything beneath it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

The Crimson definitely does look/feel cooler than the Corruption. Almost in a way where it feels like it's had more work done on it. Also less of a pain in the rear end to cross over when traveling across the map.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Also less of a pain in the rear end to cross over when traveling across the map.

That's actually one of the things I like about the Corruption. Passing through the Crimson early on is dangerous because it's got some pretty brutal enemies, while passing through the Corruption early on is dangerous because those chasms will kill the gently caress out of you if you fall (or are knocked) into one. The hazardous terrain makes the first few trips into or through the Corruption interesting and challenging, necessitating planning and preparation; no matter how well-armed or good at fighting you are, those pits are still an extremely deadly hazard until you have a horseshoe (or at least a grapple, a cloud in a bottle, and good reflexes).

In terms of ambience, theme, and enemy design, though, the Crimson wins hands down.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
So, is the Golem's head supposed to spawn inside a wall where it cannot be reached?

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
Mother of christ, traps are everywhere underground. If the first two boulders don't get you, the third one will. :saddowns:

On the bright side, I have an extractionator now.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Rynoto posted:

and

The pre-hardmode version of "What is the ground?".

I refuse to admit how many hours I spent collecting all of the items for those. :negative:

Hey I gotta ask, is that trophy in the background from the bee queen? Because I've fought her like 30 times now and still loving no trophy. My OCD demands I get every boss trophy I can.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
This patch is pretty metal :black101: (view image for big)

I never built anything in earlier iterations other than basic dirt houses for the NPCs. They still live in dirt houses here because that's where peasants belong. But once I found out you could make bone blocks and walls I just had to try building something. Also felt like an IRS worker while pillaging the dungeon for pretty much everything I could stuff in my pockets/safe/piggybank.

Office Thug fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 4, 2013

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

Hey I gotta ask, is that trophy in the background from the bee queen? Because I've fought her like 30 times now and still loving no trophy. My OCD demands I get every boss trophy I can.

Yes it is. It's like a 10% drop rate, don't worry. I had to fight skeletron prime like 15 times.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I've never played a magic char before, but I've always wanted to try. Are there specific accessories or enchantments I should be looking for? I have a way smaller mana pool than I see in some of the screenshots out there.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Meldonox posted:

I've never played a magic char before, but I've always wanted to try. Are there specific accessories or enchantments I should be looking for? I have a way smaller mana pool than I see in some of the screenshots out there.

Very easy to get mana now since it only takes 5 stars instead of 10. I've wasted so many on stars in bottles i'd probably be maxed on it and i've only killed eye and brain.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Angry Diplomat posted:

The Crimson is awesome as hell. I still have a soft spot for the Corruption - the music is rad, the chasm layout is really distinctive and menacing and eerie, and the Eater of Worlds is a legitimately cool boss - but the Crimson completely nails that horrifying otherworldly Lovecraftian feel in a way the Corruption never did. When I visit the Corruption, I'm all upbeat about it because it's a cool Evil Dangerous Biome to kill stuff and get treasure in. When I visit the Crimson, I'm all :ohdear: because oh god this place is so dangerous and gross and scary oh no leave me alone spiders nooooo. It just fulfills the role of a horror-themed danger zone so much better.
The Corruption is a virulent darkness. It is simple to understand, one half of a black and white relationship with the Hallow. We cognitively compartmentalize it easily.

But the Crimson? The Crimson is just meat.
Everything there is made of meat.
The monsters are meat.
The drops are meat.
The boss is meat.
You are meat.
MEAT MEAT MEAT MEAT MEAT :unsmigghh:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Meldonox posted:

Combine a bunch of gemstones with wizard robes and you'll have low-defence armour that boosts your mana pool significantly. Gemstones and an appropriate metal will give you a good early-game magic item too (a staff). Later on, go for Meteor and Jungle armour, they're both mage-centric. There aren't really any magic-specific accessories until the jungle/dungeon tier, but accessory prefixes can come with boosts to your mana pool, mana costs or damage.

Magic doesn't really come into its own until you break into the Dungeon and loot all the magic items in there, but an emerald or sapphire staff can carry you really well until that point.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Right, from what I can tell, you can see if you're getting Corruption or Crimson in a world while it is being made. If you see "making the world evil", you've got Corruption, if "making the world bloody", it's Crimson. At least, I think the word it uses is bloody. Something like that.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Demon Scythe is a really great pre-hardmode spell that can be effective even vs some of the hardmode enemies.

But then I got my Dao Pow :)

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Holy poo poo, seeing what you guys are finding makes me want to just start over in a new world with my old character, partly because all his stash is on a shared world my friend has that I can't get to right now, heh.

I need to make a new, super-fancy personal stash world anyway... torn between Small since it'll be an expanding base/stash world, and Large in case I want to get resources without going to a different world.

Large wins, who am I kidding.

Ivy Whip: Still epic, or should I find something new? Is the Terraria wiki already packed with the new stuff?

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

S.T.C.A. posted:

Holy poo poo, seeing what you guys are finding makes me want to just start over in a new world with my old character, partly because all his stash is on a shared world my friend has that I can't get to right now, heh.

I need to make a new, super-fancy personal stash world anyway... torn between Small since it'll be an expanding base/stash world, and Large in case I want to get resources without going to a different world.

Large wins, who am I kidding.

Ivy Whip: Still epic, or should I find something new? Is the Terraria wiki already packed with the new stuff?

You get the same amount of resources no matter the map size, save for fewer floating islands on a small map.

The official wiki has an article for just about every item added to the game, but not everything is yet known about the items, there are several cool things they still haven't listed how to obtain.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Ivy Whip is still fairly good, but it's kind of personal preference between it and the Dual Hook, plus once you get the ability to fly which also negates fall damage the hooks get somewhat less useful (but still useful).

It's also way, way easier to get Hallowed gear, and there are even more items that make Hallowed armor look like a joke by comparison. Small might be better if you're in a hurry, Large will give you more room to explore.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Akett posted:

You get the same amount of resources no matter the map size, save for fewer floating islands on a small map.

You mean ore-wise the same amount of resources? I mean, I can't believe a small world would have as much wood and stone as a large world, for instance; I've always played on large maps and even in hardmode pre-1.2 had no problem finding boatloads of ores, though I also smashed almost every altar I could find to keep it all spawning.

Powercrazy posted:

I hope in Terraria 2 the worlds are more fleshed out. Ideally I could play the same world with multiple characters, starting in different places, and seeing the ruins of my former characters' palaces, complete with partially looted chests etc.

Similar to adventure mode in Dwarf Fortress.

Just having linked worlds would be amazing, or significantly larger worlds that wrapped around when you reach an edge.

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 4, 2013

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I hope in Terraria 2 the worlds are more fleshed out. Ideally I could play the same world with multiple characters, starting in different places, and seeing the ruins of my former characters' palaces, complete with partially looted chests etc.

Similar to adventure mode in Dwarf Fortress.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

S.T.C.A. posted:

You mean ore-wise the same amount of resources? I mean, I can't believe a small world would have as much wood and stone as a large world, for instance; I've always played on large maps and even in hardmode pre-1.2 had no problem finding boatloads of ores, though I also smashed almost every altar I could find to keep it all spawning.

Nah there is absolutely more ore/wood/stone etc in a large world, however there aren't more biomes, just bigger biomes.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

So two big questions:

Is there a program yet that let's you force a world to spawn with certain things? (crimson, ores, pyramid, etc.)

What's the best way to build my base for NPC (and personal) safety?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

How badly buried are Pyramids? I've been going through small worlds looking for one and I've been able to find a bunch of those giant trees but no luck otherwise.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Saxophone posted:

So two big questions:

Is there a program yet that let's you force a world to spawn with certain things? (crimson, ores, pyramid, etc.)

a Floating castle that is about a screen and a half above the ground, but below the floating islands.

Alternatively below the ground level, but clear everything on the sides of it for 10+ spaces so stuff can't even spawn onscreen.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 4, 2013

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Saxophone posted:

So two big questions:

Yeah but it hasn't updated yet.

There's a tool called Omnitool that would do all that, but the guy has no internet and posts his builds from a starbucks. He just uploaded a map viewer that's a bit broken, but still pretty awesome.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Fish Noise posted:

But the Crimson? The Crimson is just meat.
Everything there is made of meat.
The monsters are meat.
The drops are meat.
The boss is meat.
You are meat.
MEAT MEAT MEAT MEAT MEAT :unsmigghh:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tScAyNaRdQ

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Check out the dye trader at the bottom and the guide up by the minimap. They're actually using the lower half of the rooms, below the platforms, as their rooms. Might be a new way to cut down on space needed for NPC housing.

I noticed it when the dye trader moved in, he was on the bottom floor but there was only a house set up for the nurse there. I realized he must be using the workbench-and-chair in my crafting room, then noticed his flag was way low. I decided to experiment by sticking a table and chair in my storage room, and found I had to take a torch off the wall and stick it on the floor before the game would count it as valid.

Also I still find it amusing that thanks to bathtubs counting as tables and toilets as chairs, I have a goblin living in my bathroom.

I also found this cave like, right above Hell. Aside from the mildly interesting wallpaper, there's nothing special in it at all.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 4, 2013

KoB
May 1, 2009
It used to be that I only had to carry one tool, the Hamdrax or whatever and that could do anything. Do I need the 3 major tools again?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
The hamdrax turned into the Drax, the ham is separate now because functionality shifted. Lots of things you could previously only hammer out can now be removed by pickaxe. Hammers only affect background tiles and change tiles into half/angled.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Dareon posted:

I also found this cave like, right above Hell. Aside from the mildly interesting wallpaper, there's nothing special in it at all.

I think that is supposed to be a "lavatube" with Obsidian Wall tiles. Nothing special about it, just an interesting aesthetic. I wish hell had patch work obsidian wall generated around it kind of like the jungle does, would make placing torches less annoying.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
I just started farming for my Spectre set and in the process got 2 Shadowbeam Staves and 3 Magnet Spheres (one Mythical). Spectre + Magnet is the most broken thing I've seen. I can facetank anything from the twins highest speed enrage lasers to constant paladin hammers and get healed to full constantly by my armor.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Samopsa posted:

The hamdrax turned into the Drax, the ham is separate now because functionality shifted. Lots of things you could previously only hammer out can now be removed by pickaxe. Hammers only affect background tiles and change tiles into half/angled.

Okay, just saw the full patchnotes. So the drill is still the best and you need a Hammer for the few other abilities? Im just seeing that theres a drill, pickaxe, chainsaw, and axe for the new tiers when before it was just the drill I thought.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
How do I combine the red balloon, horse shoe, and cloud/blizzard/sandstorm in a bottle?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

The new high-tier picks/axes are there for people who don't want to hear the annoying as hell noise of a chainsaw/drill all the time. No difference otherwise.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Skull Dad posted:

How do I combine the red balloon, horse shoe, and cloud/blizzard/sandstorm in a bottle?

The horse shoe is out. You need 3 red balloons. Combine each with a bottle. Then combine all the bottles.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Skull Dad posted:

With the tinker's workshop. The goblin tinker sells it, you need to find him and untie him sometime after you have a goblin invasion in your world.

On the subject of workbenches we personally don't possess yet, has anyone found the blend-o-matic or the imbuing station yet? I want to bottle my parties in addition to firing them at enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

Dareon posted:

On the subject of workbenches we personally don't possess yet, has anyone found the blend-o-matic or the imbuing station yet? I want to bottle my parties in addition to firing them at enemies.
Imbuing station is sold by the witch doctor, who showed up in my world after the queen bee died. Not sure if that's the actual trigger or just a coincidence though.

• Locked thread