Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Pick posted:

Any place where people discuss video games a lot will go lunatic given enough time.

Any place discussing anything that does not have strict moderation as to what is too creepy eventually becomes weird, as more creepers notice they are 'accepted' and encourage each other.

It happens for TV, Movies, Anime, and games. I wouldn't doubt it happens to things like plays. The fact of the matter is that anime/ games ends up worse because the forums for them tend to be hug boxes set up so even kids can be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

KittyEmpress posted:

Any place discussing anything that does not have strict moderation as to what is too creepy eventually becomes weird, as more creepers notice they are 'accepted' and encourage each other.

It happens for TV, Movies, Anime, and games. I wouldn't doubt it happens to things like plays. The fact of the matter is that anime/ games ends up worse because the forums for them tend to be hug boxes set up so even kids can be fine.

And unlike TV, etc, the games are moddable for the most part, so you can have your sister Bethany in a chainmail bikini while romancing her!

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Doublehex posted:

Can someone explain to me just how it is that BSN is so drat creepy. I mean, how did it reach that point?

I swear to God, Fantasy CRPG's have some of the creepiest fanbases. Do a dA search for Neverwinter Nights and you get dozens of drawings of some girl's character in romantic situations with Bishop, a character who wasn't even romancable! It's like she is trying to accommodate her own shortcomings with a fantasty wank.
Bishop was quasi-romanceable, and was pretty much an archetypical 'bad boy.' It's hardly surprising that he would get some fangirls.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Strudel Man posted:

Bishop was quasi-romanceable, and was pretty much an archetypical 'bad boy.' It's hardly surprising that he would get some fangirls.

Pft, weak sauce. I don't see him :911:-ing a church.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Bioware thinking about implementing Kinect and other motion crap into Dragon Age, waiting on how people like it first.

Dec 26, 2012

Stand up and pelvic thrust for the romance dialogue option.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

did anyone actually use the kinect for ME3?

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Leelee posted:

Okay, new question time:

What spec would you like to see return for DA:I?

Not necessarily a particular spec per se, while I liked the idea of unique companion specializations that DA2 introduced, I also like the flexibility of being able to assign any particular class-specific specialization as in DA:O. It let you put new twists on old characters. I think comapanions should get two specializations as the player character does, one being their unique tree and the other being something you can assign later on.

Of the actual specs, Battlemage from Awakenings was interesting since, like Arcane Warrior, you wanted your mage to be at the centre of battle rather than being off-map artillery. Unlike Arcane Warrior you were definitely still a mage though.

quote:

I also loved the mage creation spec with the BEE spell. I can't stop talking about that swarm spell...I just love it so much.

That spell was pretty sick, it had to be one of the best spells in the game if you could manage to keep arcing those bees from sucker to sucker.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
How loving great was Aveline's "Indomitable" though? :black101:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So long as Reaver is in, so am I.

My first time through the game I'd made my Warden a Reaver with the Fear ability. When I fought Loghain he spent the entire fight cowering in terror and never touched me. That was perhaps the best moment in the game for me. "That's right you backstabbing son of a bitch! FEAR ME!"

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

Pick posted:

Aveline was completely ridiculous in general. I remember loading her up with +defense runes, going damage mitigation and indomitable/defender.

Long story short, essentially attacks won't topple her, they won't damage her and they won't even hit her to begin with.

E: Aveline is the M1A2 Abrams of RPG tanks, if Abrams could also move around like Apache Helicopters.

HenessyHero fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 3, 2013

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

HenessyHero posted:

Aveline was completely ridiculous in general.
Aveline's stun immunity was amazing and especially during the final bossfight. Every now and then Meredith would stun everyone so that she could deliver some dumb dialogue, but Aveline would cheerfully keep poking at her.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 3, 2013

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

HenessyHero posted:

Aveline was completely ridiculous in general. I remember loading her up with +defense runes, going damage mitigation and indomitable/defender.

Long story short, essentially attacks won't topple her, they won't damage her or they won't even hit her to begin with.

I cannot even count the number of times I was relying on Aveline just never, ever going down. :unsmith:

Oh, I want to complain about the DA2 achievements (see, I can be a whiner too!) There's no analogue to "I'm Kind of a Big Deal" from DAO, which was my proudest moment :colbert:.

("Unstoppable" is a pain in the rear end, but it's still not the same. I don't think I could do it on high difficulty without save spamming though.)

Pick fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 3, 2013

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Pick posted:

Pft, weak sauce. I don't see him :911:-ing a church.

He did however have just as high a chance of loving things up as Anders. As at that point in the game the Greycloaks army had been massacred, Lord Neverar was wounded, and Luskan was in the state of a civil war, leaving the only force able to fight the Army of Shadow being whatever you cobbled together behind the walls of Crossroads Keep. Had his betrayal worked, the North would have been wiped out.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pick posted:

I remember trying to play as a sword-and-shield warrior for about half of DA2 until I realized that my main character would never be half as effective at it as Aveline. That lady was monstrous.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Extra Smooth Balls posted:

did anyone actually use the kinect for ME3?

Shouting at Garrus owned, dude.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

DrNutt posted:

Shouting at Garrus owned, dude.

Not if you live with other people.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The Crotch posted:

I remember trying to play as a sword-and-shield warrior for about half of DA2 until I realized that my main character would never be half as effective at it as Aveline. That lady was monstrous.

One of my favorite glitches was occasionally she would do a straight-line charge, but it'd be like halfway across the field and I was like "shiiiiit!"

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Pick posted:

"I stand for all of us!"

I love Aveline so much. Whatever else Dragon Age 2's problems were, they gave us Aveline- the guard captain who is immune to Hawke's charms, finds her own way in life, wears appropriate armor, and just kicks rear end.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Poor Fenris, he's actually a pretty good tank but if I had to carry around one tank, it was going to be, y'know, the better one.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

I go with Fenris, I'd rather have a tough tank who also deals decent damage than someone who's indestructable but relatively harmless.

Plus I've modded the game so Fenris can actually use all of the warrior skill trees, making it very viable to have him tank.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I thought Fenris was pretty crap as a tank until the first time he betrayed me in the Fade and cut Hawke down in like two hits and I was like, "... what?!"

Then I was like, "Ohhh, you go down pretty easy in comparison, but you go down like a champ :frogc00l:."

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I've always done two-handed warrior Hawke because it's really about the most satisfying two handed experience I know (especially compared to DA:O where the spec was pretty garbage), so if I needed a tank it was always Aveline because I was already Fenris but better. Still, three warriors plus guest could be pretty fun.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
With the enormous shift away from tanks in Dragon Age II because of the abundance of AOE CC and damage and D&D 4e-like one-hit minions there's not really a good reason to not have Fenris unless you don't like a companion constantly antagonizing the rest of the party as well as the main character for any quest progression dialogue or minor quip.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

steakmancer posted:

With the enormous shift away from tanks in Dragon Age II because of the abundance of AOE CC and damage and D&D 4e-like one-hit minions there's not really a good reason to not have Fenris unless you don't like a companion constantly antagonizing the rest of the party as well as the main character for any quest progression dialogue or minor quip.

He gets along just fine with most of the group, he only really has issues with Anders and Merrill, and while I kind of feel sorry for Merrill anybody who is willing to poo poo on Anders deserves at least an occasional spot in my party.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

HenessyHero posted:

Not necessarily a particular spec per se, while I liked the idea of unique companion specializations that DA2 introduced, I also like the flexibility of being able to assign any particular class-specific specialization as in DA:O.

I loved how, if you didn't play a healer, your only available healer wasn't even half as good because of his arbitrary personal spec. And that you have a decision to plot kill him at some point, leaving you with no healer!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Do you actually need a healer though? I mean in DA:O you can just get by chugging poultices every time you wind up in a fight that can't be resolved before someone is going to bite it.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

No, not on the regular difficulty anyways. You can definitely get by on healing items.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Barrier is the only remotely defensive spell that Merrill has (next to Arcane Shield that grants a whopping +5% Defense and Elemental Resistance after 3 points invested to allies) that totally nullifies damage for 6 seconds, which is totally invaluable and located in a great spot in the Arcane tree, if you are in a situation where Anders is an intolerable companion or you've already booted him out of your party (all mid-Act I game-states are included in one of these camps).

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Midnight Voyager posted:

I loved how, if you didn't play a healer, your only available healer wasn't even half as good because of his arbitrary personal spec. And that you have a decision to plot kill him at some point, leaving you with no healer!

I often made Hawke a healer, but just because once battle begins I don't have a special affinity for Hawke, then I'm just playing four characters equally. So what type of mage would be most useful? Healer.

(Also, it's correct that Fenris only really hates Merrill and Anders. He's friends with Varric, Aveline, and Sebastian; amicably sleeps with Isabela if you don't sleep with him or her [and she doesn't leave in act 2]; is nice to Bethany and Carver.)

Brotato Broth
Feb 21, 2012
Between 40 second cooldown on mage Hawke's heal and Anders' pitiful aoe regen aura, you sort of *have* to get by on items alone anyway.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

If you really get into crafting, you don't need a dedicated healer one bit even on nightmare. There are potions that'll Resurrect, cast lifeward, rock armour, heal injuries and buff damage. Elfroot, Resoration and Health potions all run off seperate timers as well, iirc.

It is sort of very meta knowledge though, a first-timer wouldn't know so many different potions were available or that it's a very viable approach.

steakmancer posted:

Aveline can do AOE status effects to let other classes have the finishing shot on a cross-class combo though. Shield bash and tremor both do considerable AOE stun and stagger in their later evolutions. Aside from following up disorient with assault, however, she barely has anything in the way of big direct damage herself.

Personally, I found Fenris to be a little rough to have around on nightmare. With the giant's reach talent, even his basic autoattacks do sizable friendly fire and every single one of his big moves can nuke the whole party in one swoop. You need to babysit him and make sure his preset tactics won't lead to a hilariously tragic party wipe. You can partly get around this though by having everyone else be ranged.

HenessyHero fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Oct 4, 2013

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

HenessyHero posted:

If you really get into crafting, you don't need a dedicated healer one bit even on nightmare. There are potions that'll Resurrect, cast lifeward, rock armour, heal injuries and buff damage. Elfrood, Resoration and Health potions all run off seperate timers as well, iirc.

It is sort of very meta knowledge though, a first-timer wouldn't know so many different potions were available or that it's a very viable approach.

I completely ignore crafting in games so I depended on having a dedicated healer anders along with my Mage Hawke having some heal too.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I was actually thinking of trying to finish Dragon Age 2 with my Mage Hawk one of these days. If I were to play as an offensive focused Mage, which trees should I go for?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Sylphosaurus posted:

I was actually thinking of trying to finish Dragon Age 2 with my Mage Hawk one of these days. If I were to play as an offensive focused Mage, which trees should I go for?

Probably Force Mage. None of the trees add a large amount of damage outright, though, they're more for utility, but Force Mage does have some excellent AoE crowd control spells that can position enemies/lock them down for your main tree damage spells. It also has another AoE nuke with a 10 second CD fully upgraded, so you can drop that into your damage rotation. I wouldn't recommend Blood Mage, it has some damage spells but iirc you have to invest into the really underwhelming Blood Magic toggle and and the "steal life from an ally" ability before you get to them.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Actually. They were talking about how you could use Kinect to voice direct your team in ME3. I have no clue if this was implemented since I suck at shooters, but it sounds freaking awesome to be able to yell at my team during fights (which I do anyway when I play video games) and have them actually do something.
"Goddamnit Anders, your health is under 25% and Fenris is dead! Drop your dps buff and put on your healing buff!"

Okay, that's wordier than I would get, but you get the idea. Although, I guess that's more that the tactics don't trigger correctly half the time. I don't care about the motion controls, but it would make me happy if instead of pausing to change just one person's settings during battle, I could just yell at them.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I would rather they spent more time on the base game and ironing out things than implement Kinect junk that's only really useful on one platform. Voice stuff is neat but not a necessity. Use that effort you'd use to put Kinect in the game and make something good better.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Jimbot posted:

I would rather they spent more time on the base game and ironing out things than implement Kinect junk that's only really useful on one platform. Voice stuff is neat but not a necessity. Use that effort you'd use to put Kinect in the game and make something good better.

I'm with you on this. Kinect functionality doesn't grab me, not least because I play these games on PC.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The only non-keyboard-n-mouse interactivity I want is to be able to should "OBJECTION!" whenever I spot a plot hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

Pick posted:

The only non-keyboard-n-mouse interactivity I want is to be able to should "OBJECTION!" whenever I spot a plot hole.

I want Kinect ability for this, except for every character:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awvGUsEbIWQ

• Locked thread