Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

8 and 7 are the same once you install classic shell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Newegg has the Lenovo Yoga 11s (the one with the x86-64 intel i5, not the RT powered thing) for $599

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834313605

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

^^ drat, that is just the kind of thing I've been looking for to replace my crappy acer aspire one. I went ahead and got one, looks like a hell of a deal. Thanks :)

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Is there any significant speed difference between the SATA connection in the y410p's ultra bay vs the one integrated into the motherboard (used by the original hdd)?

I ask because everyone recommends installing an ssd into the slot where your original hdd was, and I'm wondering if that's because of speed issues or just for future convenience's sake.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Anyone know if you can do a fresh install from the 8.1 preview iso microsoft provides, or is it upgrade only?

e: gently caress finding non-sketchy win8 images :(

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Is there any significant speed difference between the SATA connection in the y410p's ultra bay vs the one integrated into the motherboard (used by the original hdd)?

I ask because everyone recommends installing an ssd into the slot where your original hdd was, and I'm wondering if that's because of speed issues or just for future convenience's sake.
Usually it's because the internal connector is set to run at SATA 3 speeds, while the ultrabay runs at SATA 2 speeds. Honestly, it is unlikely you'd ever actually notice the difference, but if you're already taking things apart to do the swaps, you might as well toss the SSD on the faster connection.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

dissss posted:

I have yet to see any evidence of that in the real world.

My real world battery life on my W520 is much better under 8 than it was in win7. It also sleeps, resumes, shuts down, and boots significantly faster, with the same 840 Pro SSD that I was using with win7. Since I never used the start menu in 7 anyhow, there is zero downside to 8 and many upsides.

(There, I can anecdote too).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

DrDork posted:

Usually it's because the internal connector is set to run at SATA 3 speeds, while the ultrabay runs at SATA 2 speeds. Honestly, it is unlikely you'd ever actually notice the difference, but if you're already taking things apart to do the swaps, you might as well toss the SSD on the faster connection.

Also, if you don't have the main OS in the ultrabay, swapping the optical drive back in is always an option if you want to.

Polaris_Echoes
Dec 6, 2009
What's the consensus on the new S Series? I'm looking at the S431 and honestly I really like it. I have a T430s that I use at work and the only thing I've wished was that the touchpad was larger and more responsive. The S431 has a much larger glass touchpad. I understand it's not going to be the same build quality as the T series but it seems like I can get a lot of the features I'm looking for at a decent enough pricepoint.

sports
Sep 1, 2012

Hadlock posted:

8 and 7 are the same once you install classic shell

Is Classic Shell an official Windows product?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, I'm not entirely set on a the 430S. I'm probably not going to go down that road. I just got a job as an IT contractor and I'll be going on client sites for like 5-7 hours a day, 5 days a week, so I need something that'll get me through the day and it doesn't sound like either of my two choices will be what I'm looking for.

I'd look at other brands but quite frankly the job I just got is for a lenovo partner so we get good discounts on lenovo gear. They will buy me up to a $500 laptop at their expense. I can pay whatever I want over $500 out of pocket, but with the lenovo price breaks they get that amounts to a free $1000 lenovo laptop so I'm probably going to stick with this brand.

Since it'll be for work first and I already have a gaming "rig" at home I decided to not worry about the Y410p. I'd rather whatever I get look a little more businesslike (no offense to anyone who has a 410 or anything, I just don't think they look all that great) and smaller. Not to mention the battery life.

Work got me a Thinkpad X230 and it's pretty great. 4-5 hours of battery life just using a browser (probably longer if I could be bothered to turn down my screen brightness.)

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
Notebookcheck has their German review of the Zenbook infinity up now. Here's a translated version: http://www.microsofttranslator.com/...k.102304.0.html

Most people in this thread will be interested in the results for the 28W Haswell chip it's packing. In general, it's 20% faster than the 17W i7 in the 2013 MacBook Air. In games the Iris 5100 GPU is also about 15-20% faster than the 4400/5000 (which are often nearly indistinguishable) but it isn't night and day. The Iris Pro 5200 is still about 70% faster than the Iris 5100, which seems to suggest that the GPU desperately needs memory bandwidth.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Klaus Kinski posted:

Anyone know if you can do a fresh install from the 8.1 preview iso microsoft provides, or is it upgrade only?

e: gently caress finding non-sketchy win8 images :(

If anyone was wondering, the answer is yes, but it doesn't detect my key. Any idea if I need a certain version for win8 core swedish?

e: No you don't, just a single language one.

Klaus Kinski fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 4, 2013

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Naffer posted:

Notebookcheck has their German review of the Zenbook infinity up now. Here's a translated version: http://www.microsofttranslator.com/...k.102304.0.html

Most people in this thread will be interested in the results for the 28W Haswell chip it's packing. In general, it's 20% faster than the 17W i7 in the 2013 MacBook Air. In games the Iris 5100 GPU is also about 15-20% faster than the 4400/5000 (which are often nearly indistinguishable) but it isn't night and day. The Iris Pro 5200 is still about 70% faster than the Iris 5100, which seems to suggest that the GPU desperately needs memory bandwidth.

Which laptops actually have the 5200?

Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

Only one Schenker/Clevo model right now.

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

I prescribe a dirt bath and a diet of freshwater karp.
Okay, looks like it's going to be a MacBook Air! Thanks very much for all the great responses. I also asked on Facebook for some worthy alternatives to the Air, and got either "just get the Air" or some vague grumbling about Apple products with no suggestions as to what would be better. Typical!

Doctor Albatross fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 4, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

DrDork posted:

Really, Martytoof, unless you need it RIGHT NOW, it sounds like you would be very well served by waiting a few weeks for the T440 series to drop. While I don't believe for a minute that you can get 17 hours of life out of one of them without some pretty funky metrics or fine print (*note, includes a battery swap!), 7+ hours shouldn't be a problem at all, especially with a 6-cell battery.

Unfortunately I start the job on the 15th and I need a machine from the get-go. I don't know what Lenovo's return window is, but I might do that if I'm still within it when the 440s come out. I'm still undecided about what I want so I have a few days to figure it out, but there's lots of helpful suggestions in this thread.

Honestly, for what I'll be doing I really just need a machine that runs RDP and can run one or two small VMs on the go, as well as outlook and excel so realistically any machine that isn't an i3 with 2 gigs of ram should be fine.

Since I'm essentially getting this for free and it'll be my property I was hoping to just get the best bang for my buck I could, but the more I think about it the more I might be overthinking a laptop I'll be using primarily for troubleshooting and diagnostic stuff at work. I'm not compiling or developing or anything on it, nor am I doing huge number crunching.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Doctor Albatross posted:

Okay, well I think I'll pick up a MacBook Air, then - after asking on Facebook for any suggestions as to Windows alternatives, I received either suggestions to get the Air or grumbles about even considering buying an Apple product, although not a single alternative was suggested by said grumblers. Heading to the shop tomorrow to take a look, thanks for the advice all!

Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus, the new Zenbook, the Yoga 2. Oh there's a Sony one too Sony Pro maybe?

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Duck and Cover posted:

Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus, the new Zenbook, the Yoga 2. Oh there's a Sony one too Sony Pro maybe?

Sony Vaio Pro 13.
There'll be a Sony Vaio Flip in the next month or so (Yoga competitor) and Dell should have the new XPS 13 out in that time too (3 pounds, Haswell, 1080p screen).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sony also has a sliding Vaio Pro. Duo 13, or something. They will not settle until they have every kind of convertible.

Bunny Cuddlin
Dec 12, 2004
What are the chances that the new Macbook Pro with Haswell will be available before the end of the month? I have a conference to prepare for and I want to at least try to plan on what kind of equipment I'll have available.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 22, 2016

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Any word on when the Yoga pro 2 is suppose to drop with Haswell?

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Russian Bear posted:

Any word on when the Yoga pro 2 is suppose to drop with Haswell?

Lenovo's website posted:

Kenny R asked: When is the release date?

Product Expert Staff: Hi Kenny,

Lenovo manufacturing is shipping Yoga 2 Pro to Lenovo United States around October 29th so they will be offered on Lenovo.com about a week or two before that time. Orders placed on Lenovo.com will start shipping from Lenovo's warehouse to customers around October 29th.

Thanks,
Randall - Lenovo Business Group Systems

Crappy old TV
Nov 26, 2010

DrDork posted:

15" and 3200x1800 doesn't leave you with many options. You've pretty much got that Dell Precision, the HP ZBook 15, and the MBPr if you're willing to take a slight resolution hit. Everything else at that resolution is a 13.3" or 14" screen. All three options have (at least options for) i7 CPUs and 16GB RAM or more, with backlit keyboards.

The MBPr doesn't have a dedicated numberpad, but is the only one actually available right now, and can easily be expected to have the best build quality and durability, and the $2200 version comes with a 256GB SSD. Only a 2880x1800 screen, but still super loving nice. 4.46lbs, 650M GPU.
The ZBook 15 won't start shipping for another ~3 weeks, so until then we can only make guesses at build quality and whatnot. It has the screen res you want and the numpad. The baseline version costs $2000 with no SSD, so you'll be adding that yourself unless you want to spend $2600 for the upgraded 128GB version. 6.2lbs. K610M (~630M) or K1100M (~640M?) GPU
The Dell likewise has no SSD at $2000, and wants you to step up to $2500 for a 256GB SSD. Also has your resolution and num-pad, also won't be available for another ~3 weeks. 6.35lbs. K2100M (~650M?) or K1100M (~640M?) GPU

Thanks for all the information, I really appreciate it. The MBPr was something I looked at, but it's near-complete lack of field repair options and lousy warranty/support are a turn-off.

I've looked at the HP, but I couldn't find the options for the high-res screens on their site?

And I see Dell's got the XPS15 out soon with a retina-quality display, but it still doesn't have a 10-key and I'm not sure of the build quality on the XPS line.

Seems like the Precision is looking like my best option, unless anyone else has suggestions for a 15" desktop replacement with a retina-quality screen, high-end quad core proc, and a bunch of RAM.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Gwaihir posted:

My real world battery life on my W520 is much better under 8 than it was in win7. It also sleeps, resumes, shuts down, and boots significantly faster, with the same 840 Pro SSD that I was using with win7. Since I never used the start menu in 7 anyhow, there is zero downside to 8 and many upsides.

(There, I can anecdote too).

The same is definitely not true of my T430s (with an SSD) or the various Elitebooks (all with spinny disks) we've tested on at work.

The only thing that is faster is system startup (but not restarts after updates which defeats the purpose given that is the only time I'd ever switch off a laptop)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

On the Thinkpads the main drive is SATA 2, and the mSATA port is SATA 1 on a seperate controller, because the other SATA 2 port provided by ivy bridge/haswell is reserved for the Thinkpad dock. I do not know if the Ideapads have a dock or if this is an issue.

sports posted:

Is Classic Shell an official Windows product?

If it were, would people be bitching about the lack of start button in Win 8.0? And then how the "start button" in 8.1 isn't a real solution offered by microsoft? I'm confused on your angle here.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

Hadlock posted:

On the Thinkpads the main drive is SATA 2, and the mSATA port is SATA 1 on a seperate controller, because the other SATA 2 port provided by ivy bridge/haswell is reserved for the Thinkpad dock. I do not know if the Ideapads have a dock or if this is an issue.

If it were, would people be bitching about the lack of start button in Win 8.0? And then how the "start button" in 8.1 isn't a real solution offered by microsoft? I'm confused on your angle here.

Could've easily been a Microsoft product released post-8 that they decided to also have available for 8.1 without integrating it in to core functionality, I'm giving the above poster the benefit of the doubt as far as it being an innocently asked question rather than some veiled starting point for an argument though.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah, Microsoft sometimes releases great little tools (like Synctoy) that don't come with Windows

DrDork posted:

Err...not really. Win7 is seen as an advantage for a lot of people, and the battery life is roughly the same.

For battery life specifically, Windows 8 is better than Windows 7. I don't know where in the thread this was posted, but there are tons of studies all over the Internet demonstrating this.
Microsoft has done its homework. Idle performance of Windows 8 seems to best that of Windows 7 SP1 in every case.
The improvement you’ll notice the most with Windows 8 is in battery life

For everything else, Windows 7 has no advantages over Windows 8 unless downloading classic shell is a serious obstacle

DrDork posted:

He listed Windows 7 as a negative, so I do believe that's what he was talking about.

Context:

QuarkJets posted:

as it has worse battery life (because it's non-Haswell and comes with Windows 7)

As you can see, I was talking about battery life. That said, there's no reason to choose Windows 7 over Windows 8 if you have an internet connection and can download classic shell

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 5, 2013

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

As you can see, I was talking about battery life. That said, there's no reason to choose Windows 7 over Windows 8 if you have an internet connection and can download classic shell

Regardless of 7 vs 8 or Ivybridge vs Haswell it does not seem the Y410p has better battery life than the T430s - they are both bad in that regard.

TomEmanski
Dec 29, 2008
Any consensus on the Acer Asus Haswell offerings? I've been looking at this one.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00COQ4ETG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=VHSFSRTTGED2&coliid=IIZP11X3ALWYT

Need it by early next week so Lenovo store doesn't seem to be an option. Probably going to need something on amazon prime or pay extra to 1 day something from newegg.

This will be used for work (I'm a radiologist) and light gaming so a big screen is a plus. Also been looking at the Lenovo y510p offerings from newegg.

Think I'll be able to salvage my 256 gb ssd from my old laptop so hard drive differences are not an issue.

TomEmanski fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 5, 2013

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Acer <> Asus

I don't imagine battery life is going to be up to scratch - Haswell or not that isn't a low power processor and it comes with a tiny battery

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

dissss posted:

Acer <> Asus

I don't imagine battery life is going to be up to scratch - Haswell or not that isn't a low power processor and it comes with a tiny battery
Are you saying Acer is equivalent to Asus? I've always considered Acer to be bottom of the barrel in build quality and Asus to be a pretty reliable name. To be honest I havent seen any Acer laptops in person in the past 5 years or so, maybe I'm just being a fanboy?

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Gray Matter posted:

Are you saying Acer is equivalent to Asus? I've always considered Acer to be bottom of the barrel in build quality and Asus to be a pretty reliable name. To be honest I havent seen any Acer laptops in person in the past 5 years or so, maybe I'm just being a fanboy?

No he meant Acer is not Asus, the poster above him had the two confused.

Also the new Aspire S7 is supposed to be fantastic.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013

TomEmanski posted:

Any consensus on the Acer Asus Haswell offerings? I've been looking at this one.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00COQ4ETG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=VHSFSRTTGED2&coliid=IIZP11X3ALWYT

Need it by early next week so Lenovo store doesn't seem to be an option. Probably going to need something on amazon prime or pay extra to 1 day something from newegg.

This will be used for work (I'm a radiologist) and light gaming so a big screen is a plus. Also been looking at the Lenovo y510p offerings from newegg.

Think I'll be able to salvage my 256 gb ssd from my old laptop so hard drive differences are not an issue.

I have pretty much the same laptop (mine has the 4500u i7) and I love it. I get decent (6.5 hours) battery life doing lite internet/word processing. The build quality has been great so far. Although they do use some funky screws so if you want to replace the HDD with a SSD then you will have to find something to get the screws out. As far as gaming it runs everything I've tried (Eve, BF3, Crysis 2) at decent frame rates on medium settings. The screen is pretty nice also.

JRay88 fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Oct 5, 2013

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

JRay88 posted:

I have pretty much the same laptop (mine has the 4500u i7) and I love it. I get decent (6.5 hours) battery life doing lite internet/word processing. The build quality has been great so far. Although they do use some funky screws so if you want to replace the HDD with a SSD then you will have to find something to get the screws out. As far as gaming it runs everything I've tried (Eve, BF3, Crysis 2) at decent frame rates on medium settings. The screen is pretty nice also.

The difference is the 4500u is a 15 W chip, the 4700hq is 47 W

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

Doctor Albatross posted:

Okay, looks like it's going to be a MacBook Air! Thanks very much for all the great responses. I also asked on Facebook for some worthy alternatives to the Air, and got either "just get the Air" or some vague grumbling about Apple products with no suggestions as to what would be better. Typical!

iirc this was entirely on purpose, apple bought all the cheap haswell chip sets explicitly to put the competition behind by a few months and because they had tons of cash on hand. I can't find the article detailing that for the life of me, but it's why it is much easier to find the more expensive battery draining haswell mobile systems.

This doesn't change the fact that if you need it right now, a MBA is probably your best bet, but windows systems are getting more and more interesting and the newest gen of ultrabooks require a touch screen, so it might be worth waiting based on what is coming down the pike.

Let me explain that the only reason I watch this thread is because my MBP from 2006 finally died this year and I need a new laptop, and I'm over obsessive with checking all details over and over again. Apple makes great products but I'm kind of surprised by their reluctance to use touch screens (you know, that tech that they made super famous on two different fronts) with their laptops or try something really bold with their UI. In my mind the company that made the ipad/iphone should have been the first to jump on the touchscreen wagon.

mugrim fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 5, 2013

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Ok, so I've been waiting for the T440 patiently, but my current laptop just kicked the bucket all the way, so I'm in a :supaburn: situation here. Give me a $800-900 laptop that's preferrably haswell and is well-built. Or should I just bite the bullet and get the T430?

Edit: office use, prefer 15.6 but will take 14, need a good/hi-rez screen and ability to run netflix+remote desktop.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Oct 5, 2013

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

mugrim posted:

Let me explain that the only reason I watch this thread is because my MBP from 2006 finally died this year and I need a new laptop, and I'm over obsessive with checking all details over and over again. Apple makes great products but I'm kind of surprised by their reluctance to use touch screens (you know, that tech that they made super famous on two different fronts) with their laptops or try something really bold with their UI. In my mind the company that made the ipad/iphone should have been the first to jump on the touchscreen wagon.

They aren't reluctant to use touch screens, they're just not going to add them to form factors where it makes no sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It wouldn't suprise me if they release touchscreen laptops when Apple ports OSX over to the A7/A8/A9 processor and has one touchscreen OS across all platforms sort of like what Windows is/was trying to do with RT and ARM.

/Total speculation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_system_on_chips#Apple_A7