Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cutie
Oct 22, 2010
I don't know what I should be doing now. I have a gold pickaxe, spear and lead armour. I have some nice items like a grappling hook and a cloud in a bottle but where should I go to get better items? I've not built a proper base yet - does it matter where I put it? I'd like to build one in the red biome but my pickaxe can't mine the rocks there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Current 1.2 base of operations:

I regret using colored glass for the first row on top of the flower pots.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

paraspam posted:

I don't know what I should be doing now. I have a gold pickaxe, spear and lead armour. I have some nice items like a grappling hook and a cloud in a bottle but where should I go to get better items? I've not built a proper base yet - does it matter where I put it? I'd like to build one in the red biome but my pickaxe can't mine the rocks there.

You're probably set to take on the first bosses if you're feeling daring. Collect six lenses (dropped by Demon Eyes at night) and go to one of the creepy altars in the Crimson to make the item to spawn one and use it when it turns night. That's the easiest boss in the game and you should be fine without much prep, although if you lose consider different strategies, crafting an arena, or upgrading to gold armor. The other boss you craft at the same spot with fifteen vertebrae (dropped by any of the Crimson enemies). He's a little harder, but the two of them together will give you the materials to make new stuff, including the pickaxe to dig through Crimstone.

That said, I don't know if this applies to the Crimson, but the game won't let NPCs live in Corruption biomes so while you can certainly build a base there, you'll need to put the NPCs somewhere else.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

paraspam posted:

Building a base in the crimson is a bad idea. Even if it's possible, it's pretty dangerous and NPCs are basically lemmings even if all you've got around is slimes. As for what to do next, honestly the best bet is probably to fight a boss like the other post says, and when you've made the full set from their drops, it's probably time to do a little more caving and maybe head all the way to the bottom of the map and start gathering there. Then you're set for pretty much everything outside hardmode.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I was in the Hardmode Dungeon trying to get the final items to make the ninja set accessory. Killed a paladin and he dropped his hammer. Holy poo poo that thing is amazing. 100+ damage, very fast speed, strong knockback. Works kinda like a boomerang. Just chews through enemies.

Like two minutes later I got Wisp in a Bottle, a pet that glows giving you light. It's a shame it took forever to get the final items for the ninja set though.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

paraspam posted:

Fight the first boss, get demonite, smash shadow orbs, defeat second boss, mine meteors, go to hell, mine-hellstone, clear jungle/dungeon, prep base for hardmode, go to hardmode.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Hardmode was glorious pre-1.2, I can only imagine now.

I was using Cobalt armor as my cosmetic before, but that cactus armor... :3:

PlotDevice
Oct 10, 2007

*For the Ghost Who Flies Through Space
Is there anything worthwhile in the snow biome? I've been exploring it forever (goddamn its huge) but I've only found two snowball guns. Also screw spider nests. So full of enemies and nothing to show for it but cobwebs. At least give me a little spider buddy to follow me around. :mad:

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Can i actually flood hell to leave a layer of obsidian on most of the lava? I'd like a place where i can relax without having to panick about if that small puddle of lava is going to knock 70 life off me while I'm doing acrobatics all over the place trying to avoid demons and getting enough hellstone.

Also I have an underground jungle biome that's loving giant as poo poo. I think it beats my dungeon's size and my current cave tunnel to hell.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Get Water walking boots + obsidian skull + lava charm and you can just run over the lava.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PlotDevice posted:

Is there anything worthwhile in the snow biome? I've been exploring it forever (goddamn its huge) but I've only found two snowball guns. Also screw spider nests. So full of enemies and nothing to show for it but cobwebs. At least give me a little spider buddy to follow me around. :mad:

Blizzard in a bottle. It's one of the three double jump items in the game. Eventually you'll have a single item that increases your jump height and gives you a quadruple jump.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Dizz posted:

Can i actually flood hell to leave a layer of obsidian on most of the lava? I'd like a place where i can relax without having to panick about if that small puddle of lava is going to knock 70 life off me while I'm doing acrobatics all over the place trying to avoid demons and getting enough hellstone.

Also I have an underground jungle biome that's loving giant as poo poo. I think it beats my dungeon's size and my current cave tunnel to hell.
You can flood a decent portion of the lava, but flooding most of hell takes a bit of effort due to all the varied elevation and whatnot.

chrisf posted:

Imbuing station is sold by the witch doctor, who showed up in my world after the queen bee died. Not sure if that's the actual trigger or just a coincidence though.
That's when he showed up for me, so it's likely to be the trigger.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Water sadly evaporates in hell automatically. :(

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Shukaro posted:

But not Honey, which forms charred honey on lava :getin:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Oh, so that's what happened. I flooded a part of Hell, then Mirrored out after filling up my inventory. Came back to a line of Obsidian, but no water.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
You can pour enough water in there (say if you pierced a big lake digging a hellevator) to obsidianify a moderate stretch, but it's always gonna be pretty dangerous in Hell until you start Hardmode, then you'll be pining for the simple joys of dodging demon scythes.

One way to make it less dangerous is to actually make it a meteor biome. Stick down like fifty chunks of meteorite ore and all the monster spawns will be Meteor Heads.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Shukaro posted:

That's actually a good change, flooding hell with water can basically ruin the world.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Meat is truth. You must try harder. It is not easy to become sane.

The Hallow and Corruption represent light and dark (but not good and evil - this is Terraria, everything is evil), but the Crimson defies even such basic classification. It is beneath symbology, just as under our faces and identities, we are all giblets and gore.

The Crimson strips away the false dichotomy of Corruption and Hallow, leaving only what is Real: an insane bovine globe.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Fish Noise posted:

The Corruption is a virulent darkness. It is simple to understand, one half of a black and white relationship with the Hallow. We cognitively compartmentalize it easily.

But the Crimson? The Crimson is just meat.
Everything there is made of meat.
The monsters are meat.
The drops are meat.
The boss is meat.
You are meat.
MEAT MEAT MEAT MEAT MEAT :unsmigghh:

Relevant Onion article from today: http://www.theonion.com/articles/meat,34090/?ref=auto

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Is it possible to spread corruption and crimson on a world? :unsmigghh:

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Shadowmorn posted:

Is it possible to spread corruption and crimson on a world? :unsmigghh:

On a blood moon the Dryad sells corruption seeds. She probably also sells crimson seeds now too.

e: Druid :downs:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Honestly Red should make the Crimson the "hardmode" Corruption. Or vice-versa. That way every world would get both of those biomes and it wouldn't be just a reskin (also you could make the crimson rain much better).

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Fruit Chewy posted:

Spectre + Magnet is the most broken thing I've seen.

Get some vampire knives. You can whip yourself to some block and not move during any boss fight. I did 5 twins in a row without potions, then some planteras without moving.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I'm trying to get vampire knives. I spent like three hours hunting, but no luck. Is it possible to have more than one key drop, or might one of my servermates have one stashed somewhere that will forever prevent me finding it?

Xii
Dec 27, 2011

Only the coldest prevail.

Gimbal lock posted:

Current 1.2 base of operations:

I regret using colored glass for the first row on top of the flower pots.

Daaaaym, that looks nice. Never got the hang of building nice structures in terraria.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Infinity Gaia posted:

I'm almost afraid to ask, but, do the hardmode bosses also have trophies? Because I'm really not looking forward to having to grind Skeletron Prime forever...

I got a Spazmatron Trophy just from killing half of the Twins (Dawn hit before I could kill Retinazer and get the actual reward) so it's safe to say that yes, hardmode trophies are a thing.

Powercrazy posted:

(also you could make the crimson rain much better).

It's called a Nimbus Rod, it's a drop from those weird clouds that show up in rain, and it's basically a Crimson Rod+.

RareAcumen posted:

How badly buried are Pyramids? I've been going through small worlds looking for one and I've been able to find a bunch of those giant trees but no luck otherwise.

As far as I know, the peak of the pyramid always breaks the surface, even if it's only by one or two blocks. Also, Sandstone is easy to distinguish from actual sand if you're looking.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Fellow Goons, how do you sort your junk?

Because seriously, i need a better system then 4 chests with an item above them on a shelf trying to indicate what type they are. :smithicide:

I'd kill for a sorting system, like modded Minecraft. Something like wiring all the chests together to a Sort-a-Tron and it cleanly stacks everything together.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Shadowmorn posted:

Fellow Goons, how do you sort your junk?

Because seriously, i need a better system then 4 chests with an item above them on a shelf trying to indicate what type they are. :smithicide:

I'd kill for a sorting system, like modded Minecraft. Something like wiring all the chests together to a Sort-a-Tron and it cleanly stacks everything together.

Essentially, it's a row of chests with a sign at the end. Chest 1 row 1 is normal mode ores, next it bars, then boss summoning stuff, then seeds, then plants, then junk chests. Next layer has valuables. A chest for weapons, a chest for armour, a chest for hard mode ores, hard mode bars, useful spelunking kit, accessories.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Can you paint signs and chests? Cause if so, I'm colorcoding everything.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I don't think so, but you can always paint the wall behind or the floor under the chests.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
To those of you who said I'd have to worry about wyverns and that I had a dumb idea:

Totally worth it.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

S.T.C.A. posted:

Can you paint signs and chests? Cause if so, I'm colorcoding everything.
Yes, you can. All four tiles that a chest takes up can be painted different colors.

At least wood ones, anyway. I haven't tried with any other chest.

mune
Sep 23, 2006

Daeren posted:

To those of you who said I'd have to worry about wyverns and that I had a dumb idea:

Totally worth it.

You're still going to have to worry about wyverns, though - the lava waterfalls unfortunately are just there aesthetically, they don't actually cause damage.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I've created 4 worlds since the patch hit. All of them have Crimson. No pyramids.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Devour or Fire posted:

It is piss magic, like the KC Green comic

I am the Whizzard!

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Man, this game awakens my inner, childish lego-nerd. So much fun building stuff with all the new blocks.

Click for the best block!

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Imaginary Friend posted:

Click for the best block!

I love those things but I can't really think of anything to build with them that doesn't look like poop.

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

So I did some experimenting with wings and found that they have different jump heights (sorry if I missed this already being covered):
(Without any kind of boots, balloons or things in bottles this is how high each one that I tried took me)

Frozen/Ghost Wings: 165 feet
Harpy Wings: 145 feet
Butterfly/Fairy Wings: 135 feet
Jetpack: 120 feet
Angel Wings: 107 feet

Those are all the ones I have so I'm not sure about the others. Lightning boots added exactly 40 feet to each height.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

shymog posted:

I love those things but I can't really think of anything to build with them that doesn't look like poop.

You go and build a dedicated party room for the party girl, naturally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

I love reading this thread and feeling pretty cool with my demonite pick and you guys are talking about rainbow bricks, unicorns and other crazy crap.

• Locked thread