Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Eight cores? Jesus christ I don't actually know anyone who has eight cores yet.

E: As in I don't think anyone has seen the point in getting one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, Intel's home user stuff only has 4 max, though they have 8 threads.

AMD's stuff has ridiculous number of cores but they're also awful.

vvv Oops, didn't notice the 3930k down there. vvv

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 3, 2013

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, Intel's home user stuff only has 4 max, though they have 8 threads.

Their suggested eight core Intel processors only have 4 and 6 cores.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Intel really likes hyperthreading, saying that makes every core become two logical cores, even though effectively, it doesn't give the same performance as two physical cores. Also, here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu8Sekdb-IE

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
drat, it can't play on Dx 10 cards can it? looks like I'm due for an upgrade. :(

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
On one hand, my computer is pretty lacking compared to those specs.

On the other hand, I'm pretty drat stoked that the advent of the new console generation means that 99% of everything that comes out now won't have to be hamstrung anymore by almost decade old graphics, RAM, and CPU specs!

Here's to a new generation of better textures and at least a couple years of not having to see a loading screen every 5 seconds!

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

GreatGreen posted:

Here's to a new generation of better textures and at least a couple years of not having to see a loading screen every 5 seconds!

and to a few years of PC gamers whining that they just upgraded and its a loving outrage they can't run a new game on the highest settings.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ShootaBoy posted:

I'm not entirely sure on the correctness of this, so take them with a grain of salt, but these are supposedly the specs for Watch Dogs.

Ouch. I can handle that but just barely. It's gonna run like poo poo.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Only officially supporting 64-bit OSes is an interesting move to me. Usually it's the other way around.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Here's to hoping it runs on my Core2Duo.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

CJacobs posted:

Only officially supporting 64-bit OSes is an interesting move to me. Usually it's the other way around.

It's probably RAM related.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I just about meet the minimum specification, but I'm going to get it on the PS4 once its price drops. I've been so used to running last-gen games at 1080p60 that I really don't want to get it on PC if it doesn't look or run as well as it does on the PS4.

E: VVV Yeah, but I'm worried I won't even reach that. I'm getting a PS4 at launch, so I don't want to also spend money upgrading my computer too.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 3, 2013

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

It runs at 30fps on PS4.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Dr. Stab posted:

Here's to hoping it runs on my Core2Duo.

It wont whatsoever, I very much doubt it would even run. a core2quad is their example of a minimum.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Cool, I guess that finally answers how PC ports of next-gen games are going to deal with the 32/64 bit OS issue. I didn't dare hope they would go 64 only but it's the best outcome. :toot:

Aphrodite posted:

Because if Ubisoft was developing a multi-core game engine people would know about it. That would be kind of a huge step.
Most game engines these days are already multi-core. Far Cry 3 takes up most of 3 cores. Even Europa Universalis 4 takes up most of 2.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 3, 2013

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Holy poo poo. I meet the minimum spec but my computer's a laptop. I should probably just get a console version.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Anybody know if/when Steam will have a pre-order? I see one on Amazon, but nothing on Steam. I really hope Ubisoft isn't trying to do with Uplay what EA did with Origin.

Matwic
Aug 21, 2007
Is the game using software rendering or what :P (even ultra settings require only a gtx 670, ...)? The hardware requirements look like a complete joke. Like the posters above me said, recommending an 8 core CPU then giving Intel i7-3370 (4 core + hyperthreading) as an example.

Judging by the videos, if they did at least a half decent job at pc optimization, the game shouldn't have higher hardware requirements than lets say Assassin's Creed 3. Seriously the game will also run on PS3 and Xbox 360 and look fairly decent.

The only way those hardware specs make sense is, if Ubisoft has developed a PS4 emulator for windows :D. In that case... great, I'm looking forward on playing PS4 exclusives on PC :)

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Those specs are wrong.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128392-Update-Watch-Dogs-Wont-Run-on-32-Bit-Windows posted:

Looks like the game's specs won't be quite so demanding after all. Sebastien Viard, the graphics technical director for Watch Dogs, has Tweeted: "Hello. It is not the official configs. The real specs will come out soon and will be lower than these :)"

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Thank god.

I may need to upgrade my computer soon, evidently, those specs made my eyes flutter in disbelief for a moment.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sindai posted:

Most game engines these days are already multi-core. Far Cry 3 takes up most of 3 cores. Even Europa Universalis 4 takes up most of 2.

Yeah, but a scalable engine that can use 4-8 efficiently? Nobody has done that yet.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I know yall have seen that "hey guys tablet players can jump into your console game!!" But that was basically the same thing I saw at Pax Prime.

The One had FPS issues and i thought the whole thing was just a terrible gimmick.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I hope they have realistic traffic for I-94. Backed up traffic every weekday from 3:00 to 7:00 as far as the eye can see! :allears:

I hope LSD is a nice refuge in the game like it is when leaving downtown in real life.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I dunno how people jumped from "32 bit is not officially supported" to "THE GAME WONT RUN ON 32 BIT SYSTEMS ITS THE END OF THE WORLD" in one day. Glad they clarified though I guess.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Michael Scott posted:

I hope LSD is a nice refuge in the game like it is when leaving downtown in real life.

Not being super familiar with Chicago made this post super great, although I generally don't view dropping acid as a "refuge".

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

I dunno how people jumped from "32 bit is not officially supported" to "THE GAME WONT RUN ON 32 BIT SYSTEMS ITS THE END OF THE WORLD" in one day. Glad they clarified though I guess.
If there's no 32-bit executable the game won't run on a 32-bit OS period. It's not a crazy leap.

The update doesn't say there's be a 32-bit version. We'll have to wait and see.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 4, 2013

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, and they wouldn't do that. No sane video game developer would do that. The only video game I can think of with requirements like that is Just Cause 2, which does not run in DX9 or 10 and thus requires Windows 7.

JohnnyBigPotatoes
Jun 8, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPENDING $732.49 ON DIABLO 3 GOLD AND THEN SELLING ALL THE ITEMS AND GOLD FOR $38.27 BECAUSE I WAS AFRAID OF THE TAXES AND IRS

Mitt Romney 2012
click here to find out more
According to steam less than half of 1% of its users have 8 core cpus, kind of surprised this bullshit gained so much traction it needed to be officially debunked.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

CJacobs posted:

Yeah, and they wouldn't do that. No sane video game developer would do that. The only video game I can think of with requirements like that is Just Cause 2, which does not run in DX9 or 10 and thus requires Windows 7.

Over 70% of the steam survey is running a 64 bit OS. Didn't Microsoft want to drop 32 bit with Windows 8 and OEMs threw a fit, so MS made them a 32 bit edition?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The only reason I would have believed you would NEED 8 cores would be from plain old 'well, I've never had an up to date for modern gaming computer before. Why would it start to be good enough now?' :tinfoil: level paranoia now that I've finally splurged to go from 2 cores and Windows Vista, to 4 and Windows 7.

I wouldn't have been surprised if it had been true, because I can barely remember what my computer specs are let alone what they do and the :pcgaming: master race is all about reminding me of the days I had an Atari playing Dig Dug when the Sega Genesis came out. But I wouldn't have expected it to be true either until proven otherwise, because jacking up the minimum requirements to needing an entirely new top of the line system while it works for Consoles, is probably very stupid for PC if you want sales.

Even then, was getting this on PS4 for plain old "Don't need to buy two loving copies of one game for it's single player" with my brother :v:

EDIT: My computer knowledge amounts to 'read minimum requirements' and 'use computer'. But even then I wouldn't have expected 8 Core blowjob cooled CPU's to be the recommended requirement for a game being released in one form or another before the year's end.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 5, 2013

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

JohnnyBigPotatoes posted:

According to steam less than half of 1% of its users have 8 core cpus, kind of surprised this bullshit gained so much traction it needed to be officially debunked.
Possibly because the new consoles releasing this year are known for having 8-core CPUs, and developers have a tendency to optimize for consoles and leave PC users to their own devices. (Hello, GTA4.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Chaltab posted:

Possibly because the new consoles releasing this year are known for having 8-core CPUs, and developers have a tendency to optimize for consoles and leave PC users to their own devices. (Hello, GTA4.)

They're not all available for games, though.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

They're not all available for games, though.

I think both consoles dedicate 2 to the OS, but that still means that games are running with 6 cores, and could utilise that many on the PC too. Probably not require 6, though.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

That loving Sned posted:

I think both consoles dedicate 2 to the OS, but that still means that games are running with 6 cores, and could utilise that many on the PC too. Probably not require 6, though.

The Jaguar cores in the consoles are intended to be low-power cores for things like netbooks. If you have a quad-core desktop processor or better from the last couple of years there is pretty much no way that anything designed for consoles will be CPU bound.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Oct 5, 2013

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

JohnnyBigPotatoes posted:

Welp, they've actually released another statement that actually ups the requirements.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

poo poo, forgot to paste it.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Oct 10, 2013

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

dogstile posted:

Welp, they've actually released another statement that actually ups the requirements.

Don't worry about providing a link or anything!

edit; http://www.geek.com/games/ubisoft-confirms-watch-dogs-actually-needs-6gb-of-ram-on-pc-1573097/

quote:

Minimum Spec
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 (2.66GHz) or AMD Phenom II X4 940 (3GHz)
DirectX 11 graphics card with 1GB VRAM and Shader Model 5.0 support
6GB RAM
64-bit Windows Vista (SP2), Windows 7 (SP1), or Windows 8

Recommended Spec
Intel Core i7 3770 (3.5GHz) or AMD FX-8350 (4GHz)
DirectX 11 graphics card with 2GB VRAM and Shader Model 5.0 support
8GB RAM
Same Windows requirements as minimum spec

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Those kind of specs make me think that the game wasn't optimized at all for PC, and they instead focused on the 5 other platforms that they were releasing the game on. I hope I'm wrong.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, nothing needs those CPUs if it's optimized for PC.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
At this point I'm just going to wait for the game to be released and see. Either Ubisoft has no idea how to port a game (likely.) or everyone, including Ubisoft's store, is just guessing the system requirements. (also likely.)

Red Mundus fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I'm surprised that WD is 64-bit only while AC4 isn't.

• Locked thread