Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Nexus 10 comes with a nice long charging cable but for some reason most devices ship with tiny things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I recently got a couple of these from Monoprice for my Nexus 7. They work fine so far. I don't know how long they'll last, but they're cheap as hell so who cares?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

docbeard posted:

I recently got a couple of these from Monoprice for my Nexus 7. They work fine so far. I don't know how long they'll last, but they're cheap as hell so who cares?

These ones http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030307&p_id=5459&seq=1&format=2 are even cheaper and I have been using several of them in various lengths for charging and connecting all sorts of things for over a year. Just buy like 10 bucks worth or various sized micro USB cords and stick them in a drawer somewhere for when you invariably lose or loan one to someone that doesn't give it back.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

At least samsung's chargers have an usb port, so you can just switch to a longer cable.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
My mom wants to buy a tablet and I'm having trouble recommending her one. It has to have a large screen (7" tablets are out) and cost less than 300€; seems like the only decent choice in a sea of Galaxy Tabs is the Nook HD+, is that right?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

seravid posted:

My mom wants to buy a tablet and I'm having trouble recommending her one. It has to have a large screen (7" tablets are out) and cost less than 300€; seems like the only decent choice in a sea of Galaxy Tabs is the Nook HD+, is that right?
What country are you in? The 2013 Nexus 7 is €230 (16GB) / €270 (32GB).

Edit: Wow, so I totally misread the part in brackets.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 3, 2013

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Tunga posted:

What country are you in? The 2013 Nexus 7 is €230 (16GB) / €270 (32GB).

Probably one of the few where the Nexus 7 is a 7" tablet.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Well, yeah, if 7" tablets were on the table the choice would be obvious, but they're too small. It has to be 9 or 10" and the Nexus 10 is 100€ over budget.

Guess I'll go with the Nook, even though I'll have to import it from the UK.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Give her an extra €100 for a used iPad 4. It will be supported for a long time and will have all the apps she wants. Plus you won't have to play the role of tech support.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

eric posted:

Give her an extra €100 for a used iPad 4. It will be supported for a long time and will have all the apps she wants. Plus you won't have to play the role of tech support.

Ah, good point, I'll look around.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

8th-snype posted:

Just buy like 10 bucks worth or various sized micro USB cords and stick them in a drawer somewhere for when you invariably lose or loan one to someone that doesn't give it back.

This is the correct way to handle these kinds of purchases. I have about 20 cables scattered about the house, works great, always have a cable when I need one.

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008
Off the wall question. After posting the other week that I'm addicted to my tf201 with the dock, I promptly fell asleep with the tablet on my belly and it ended up falling over onto the floor and doing some internal damage to the dock... Unless it's hinged in a few specific positions it won't pick up the dock and it's practically useless. Well gently caress, I ain't giving up my crack addiction so I bought a refurb on Ebay. Works great!

So my question... anywhere I could sell my old semi-broken dock for some bucks that isn't ebay so I can offset the cost of buying this one?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

SeaWolf posted:

Off the wall question. After posting the other week that I'm addicted to my tf201 with the dock, I promptly fell asleep with the tablet on my belly and it ended up falling over onto the floor and doing some internal damage to the dock... Unless it's hinged in a few specific positions it won't pick up the dock and it's practically useless. Well gently caress, I ain't giving up my crack addiction so I bought a refurb on Ebay. Works great!

So my question... anywhere I could sell my old semi-broken dock for some bucks that isn't ebay so I can offset the cost of buying this one?

Craigslist? Maybe contact the place you bought the refurb from and see if they'd buy the old one for parts? Those refurbs gotta be coming from somewhere. Any reason it can't be eBay, or are you just trying to find out if there's another, non-obvious choice?

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008
I'm no big fan of paypal, I just use it when I have to when I buy the random 1 or 2 things a year off ebay. I have absolutely zero interest in giving paypal access to my bank account just so I can sell stuff on the off chance I get hosed and paypal takes everything I've got plus the first born child I don't yet have...

But yes, I should talk to the seller cause why the hell not!!

Pretty stupid question, i know. Just thought there might be some big buyer I don't know about.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

I just received a cheapo QI charger from ebay for my N7 and during the first few minutes it "stutters", kind of; the tablet says it's charging, then cuts off for a second or two, then says it's charging again. After 5 minutes or so it starts charging consistently and the tablet finally goes to sleep.

Moving the tablet around doesn't seem to help, so I only see two probable causes: 1) cheap chargers from ebay suck (a shocking revelation!) or 2) maybe it's related to temperature? Don't know if that makes sense, but it would explain why the problem disappears after a while.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My N7 charges just fine on my Maxell QI pad. It honestly sounds like your charger is janky.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Honestly the cheap (£11) charger I bought did the same thing for the first day, then it was fine.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Tunga posted:

My N7 charges just fine on my Maxell QI pad. It honestly sounds like your charger is janky.

That one sure looks fancy, but until I have more than one QI-compatible device I'll stick with the cheap stuff.

Cakefool posted:

Honestly the cheap (£11) charger I bought did the same thing for the first day, then it was fine.

Good to hear. This is the charger I bought (for roughly the same price) :

Hopefully it'll work like yours.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

seravid posted:

That one sure looks fancy, but until I have more than one QI-compatible device I'll stick with the cheap stuff.
Yeah, when I bought mine (N4 release) it was one of the only Qi products available in the UK. I think I paid £40 for it, though for some reason it seems to be more expensive now. With more Qi compatible devices there are now loads of cheap chargers around that didn't exist a year ago.

Annoyingly the cleaners in my office scratched the poo poo out not long after I bought it. I don't know if they go round all the desks with brillo pads or something but one day I came in and it was covered in scratches. It works fine, of course, but it looks kind of lame.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

I'm torn. My iPad Mini is my last non-retina device and I'm fed up with that. We have an iPad 4 but it's too big. I like Android in general as well, had an N4 and an HTC One, liked both.

I can't decide between the Kindle HDX 7" or the Nexus 7. I only use Tablets for reading via Kindle, Pocket, web-browsing, Twitter and FB. I don't care about gaming at all. I really can't decide between these two devices. As my current phone is an iPhone, I like the idea of having a pure Android device to putz around and stay current with. But it sounds like the build of the Fire is a bit higher quality and the Amazon integration would really work for me.

I'm hoping somebody has a killer flaw they can share about one or the other (holding a Nexus 7 gives you the clap, or something) to make this easier.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

smr posted:

I'm torn. My iPad Mini is my last non-retina device and I'm fed up with that. We have an iPad 4 but it's too big. I like Android in general as well, had an N4 and an HTC One, liked both.

I can't decide between the Kindle HDX 7" or the Nexus 7. I only use Tablets for reading via Kindle, Pocket, web-browsing, Twitter and FB. I don't care about gaming at all. I really can't decide between these two devices. As my current phone is an iPhone, I like the idea of having a pure Android device to putz around and stay current with. But it sounds like the build of the Fire is a bit higher quality and the Amazon integration would really work for me.

I'm hoping somebody has a killer flaw they can share about one or the other (holding a Nexus 7 gives you the clap, or something) to make this easier.

Apple is holding an iPad event on the 15th, and supposedly a retina iPad Mini is going to be announced there. You could hold out until then to make a decision. That's what I'm doing anyways.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

teagone posted:

Apple is holding an iPad event on the 15th, and supposedly a retina iPad Mini is going to be announced there. You could hold out until then to make a decision. That's what I'm doing anyways.

Except that there have been reports that the supply Retina display iPad Minis will be limited for this holiday season. They'll probably be able to launch them in the first quarter of next year at the earliest so any announcements before then will simply be a soft launch.
http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/2/4793846/retina-ipad-mini-could-face-delays-and-short-supply

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

smr posted:

Just my own experience, but the build quality of my (admittedly, second) N7-2 is considerably excellent, and I thought I was a lot more hooked in to the amazon ecosystem than I really am. I've got a kindle fire and an N7 and an n7-2 and the kindle fire got bumped back to the kiddy tablet in very short order. It is possible that the later gen kindles suck less, but I was amazed at how rarely I watched anything on amazon video, and how bad the Kindle Fire UI was for organizing, and looking at books. Between that, and the shameful Amazon marketplace, I'd look a lot harder at the n7. The kindle app and Calibre make reading on the n7 very good.

Though, when my old fire broke, they did replace it a several days out of warranty, and while my customer-support from google has always ended up well, it has also always been confusing, duplicated, and I had no idea if my problem was actually solved, until I saw the credit on my statement, or a new box showed up at my door. It always happened, I just never thought anything really felt resolved, till it got sorted out some days later without any further contact or reassurance. So, if you think you're going to be on the phone with support a lot, that may tip the balance back.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 5, 2013

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

seravid posted:

Good to hear. This is the charger I bought (for roughly the same price) :

Hopefully it'll work like yours.

I bought that thing on amazon, it was a piece of junk. Returned it the next day and bought the Nokia model off of at&t's website for cheaper, works awesome. Saved about $10 too

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Slo-Tek posted:

Just my own experience, but the build quality of my (admittedly, second) N7-2 is considerably excellent, and I thought I was a lot more hooked in to the amazon ecosystem than I really am. I've got a kindle fire and an N7 and an n7-2 and the kindle fire got bumped back to the kiddy tablet in very short order. It is possible that the later gen kindles suck less, but I was amazed at how rarely I watched anything on amazon video, and how bad the Kindle Fire UI was for organizing, and looking at books. Between that, and the shameful Amazon marketplace, I'd look a lot harder at the n7. The kindle app and Calibre make reading on the n7 very good.

Though, when my old fire broke, they did replace it a several days out of warranty, and while my customer-support from google has always ended up well, it has also always been confusing, duplicated, and I had no idea if my problem was actually solved, until I saw the credit on my statement, or a new box showed up at my door. It always happened, I just never thought anything really felt resolved, till it got sorted out some days later without any further contact or reassurance. So, if you think you're going to be on the phone with support a lot, that may tip the balance back.

Hrm... I guess I'm leaning towards the N7 at this point. Maybe I'll hit Best Buy and check them out in person first.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Hadlock posted:

I bought that thing on amazon, it was a piece of junk. Returned it the next day and bought the Nokia model off of at&t's website for cheaper, works awesome. Saved about $10 too

Well, sure, but you're one of God's chosen people; here in NotAmerica, the DT900 - I'm assuming that's the one you're talking about - is four times the cost of the (apparently lovely) generic charger.

Though from what I've seen it does look like it'd work four times better.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I would have kept the chinese model had it actually worked, the big difference between the two is that if you're kinda-sorta over the induction pad but not really, it (the Nokia) will fast blink at you. The chinese model will just power on the LED and you'll find out in 10-20 min if it's on there correctly. Perhaps the N7 is different, but the N4 seems to need 1:1 contact and be properly centered

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

A nice tweak that Motorola added to the X/MAXX is that when it detects the wireless charger but knows it isn't centered right, it puts a circle up on the screen to allow you to align it properly. It's a simple thing, but works great.

What I want now is a stand with integrated wireless charger that allows you to adjust where the coil is to match the device. That way you can just toss it on the stand and it will line up right.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

bull3964 posted:

A nice tweak that Motorola added to the X/MAXX is that when it detects the wireless charger but knows it isn't centered right, it puts a circle up on the screen to allow you to align it properly. It's a simple thing, but works great.

What I want now is a stand with integrated wireless charger that allows you to adjust where the coil is to match the device. That way you can just toss it on the stand and it will line up right.

Kinda expensive but Panasonic already makes one: http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-QE-TM101-K-Black-Wireless-Charger/dp/B0051R4ECM

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That's not quite what I had in mind. I wanted something like a dock that I could put my phone/tablet on that kept it upright it up so I could put it in daydream mode and actually be able to see it.

Something more like this.

http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-DT910-W...+charging+stand

I'm just not sure how stable it is or if it would line up properly for everything.

Actually, the TYLT VU looks like exactly what I want.

http://www.tylt.com/vu/

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 5, 2013

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Friend got me a 2013 Nexus 7 so I'm wondering which case is a good one to pick up like at a Best Buy, Walmart, Target, etc?

The thing feels amazing without a case but still. Nothing fancy, just something to make it not feel as fragile. Maybe the Nexus 4's glass design is making me worry too much.

Barring something from a brick-and-mortar store, something from like Amazon would be cool too.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

ThermoPhysical posted:

Friend got me a 2013 Nexus 7 so I'm wondering which case is a good one to pick up like at a Best Buy, Walmart, Target, etc?

The thing feels amazing without a case but still. Nothing fancy, just something to make it not feel as fragile. Maybe the Nexus 4's glass design is making me worry too much.

Barring something from a brick-and-mortar store, something from like Amazon would be cool too.

The Poetic Slimline is great, and their customer support is about as good as you'll find anywhere (they recently did a revision of it and sent it to everyone who ever bought the previous model free of charge).

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

sethsez posted:

The Poetic Slimline is great, and their customer support is about as good as you'll find anywhere (they recently did a revision of it and sent it to everyone who ever bought the previous model free of charge).

Is it possible to get it offline?

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is it possible to get it offline?

I haven't seen it anywhere so you're probably stuck getting it from Amazon.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

sethsez posted:

I haven't seen it anywhere so you're probably stuck getting it from Amazon.

That's cool, I picked it up yesterday from there. :)

Looks like they're gonna one day ship me so that's neat.

Thanks for the help!

Think a screen protector would be too much? :v:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Got a Nexus 7 as a birthday gift today, really enjoying it so far. Unfortunately it's the wifi only version and I was originally hoping for the wifi/4g tablet.

However, after thinking about it, the tablet will likely be primarily used around the house, and only rarely anywhere there's not some kind of free wifi available. I'm not one to haul multiple devices around, but at the same time it'd be nice to take it to work to watch Netflix or something during my lunch occasionally. I will likely never take it out while shopping/socializing/etc.

SO... I can easily exchange it for the wifi/4g version, but should I just hang on to this one, and tether it to my phone on the odd occasion I'm somewhere without wifi? I'm on AT&T if that makes a difference.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Do you feel like paying for another data plan? If not, just tether it to your phone.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Yeah, I'd see how you use it, but I am pretty much never in a situation where I don't have my phone, and do have my tablet, and need network. ATT tethering is free, so I wouldn't pay for another dataplan if I didn't have a very good reason to.

Either it is home on the network, or I am out with just my phone, or I am out with my phone and I can tether my tablet. Can't think of a scenario where I wouldn't have a phone, and would have a tablet, and would need internet.

Otm Shank
Mar 5, 2005
Mir raucht den Kopf!!!
Will buying a cheap external battery charger thingy like this make my tablet explode?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261263571463?var=560218580526

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Cool, it's a keeper. Thanks!