Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Nicassar?

Run em as count-as Eldar Allies because they're supposedly really good Psykers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy
Thought this was somewhat interesting...

http://www.beastsofwar.com/games-workshop/announcement/

I guess I've never received a C&D because we don't really "leak" anything...

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Germ posted:

I reckon just not striking last when charged by enemies without assault grenades. And being able to plop down the Aegis terrain wherever. Generally, in my games we're using pre-set terrain, so that being able to control some of the terrain (in the form of the ADL) is pretty valuable.

I'll take another look at Oblits, though!

Minor quibble.

BRB, going to ground page 18 posted:

...If assaulted,
the unit will fight as usual, but because they are not set to receive
the enemy charge, enemy units do not receive the Initiative
penalty for assaulting a unit in difficult terrain (see page 22)...

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors

MizPiz posted:

So I'm looking into building my Tau auxiliary army and need to know what races are available to me. The idea behind it is that they're an expeditionary force meant to show the full capability of the Tau civilization from a military perspective. Basically, just imagine an army that's meant to be the subject of propaganda both internally and externally. Other than the obvious three (standard tau, kroot, vespids) I know the "official" auxiliary races are humans, tarellians (lizardmen), and hrud (ratmen), but are there any others that are at least commonly used?

List of Tau Auxiliaries from Lexicanum

The short of it is that you have dog mercs, lizard mercs, one super psyker space race, one non-psyker space race, dwarf miners (squats!), mind-controller aliens, and a few mercs and races that don't have really any descriptions in Lexicanum besides a mention.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Naramyth posted:

Minor quibble.

Cheers - by "going last" I meant that Plaguebearers are initiative 2, so they're pretty much going after anything not affected by charging through cover. I always assume that everyone else's initiative is better, but I reckon there are always Necrons.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

bunnyofdoom posted:

I think you got that backwards.

Orks stole them from the Imperium so I am bringing them back into rightful service.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Hey guys, Trollforged is doing a Pledge Buy-Out deal for their Kickstarter. There's some really rad alien stuff in there that could work perfectly for Daemons or 'Nids, so it might be of interest to a few Goons.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Germ posted:

Cheers - by "going last" I meant that Plaguebearers are initiative 2, so they're pretty much going after anything not affected by charging through cover. I always assume that everyone else's initiative is better, but I reckon there are always Necrons.

Bah, everyone worth anything has grenades. :v:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

MizPiz posted:

So I'm looking into building my Tau auxiliary army and need to know what races are available to me. The idea behind it is that they're an expeditionary force meant to show the full capability of the Tau civilization from a military perspective. Basically, just imagine an army that's meant to be the subject of propaganda both internally and externally. Other than the obvious three (standard tau, kroot, vespids) I know the "official" auxiliary races are humans, tarellians (lizardmen), and hrud (ratmen), but are there any others that are at least commonly used?

Hrud aren't really rat men. Many people consider them the 40K version of Skaven, but that has more to do with their lifestyle (tunneling scavengers and pack rats) than with their actual physical appearance, which is less rat and more animated pile of rags. I guess there could be little rats under all the layers like the one kid in Sideways Stories.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Ghost Hand posted:

I never really watch BoW because I tried once when the CSM codex came out and the video was pretty bad...but it sounds like GW is up to their usual dickery I guess? How much of the wargames market does GW really have? With historicals (and a bajillion home-brew rulesets), things like X-Wing and Star Trek, Infinity, Warmachine, etc., I'm sure there's plenty any site could cover if they leave off GW completely. But if that's the game you started with I can see how it'd be really hard to leave it behind.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.
I don't have any specific numbers, but my impression has been that GW has controlled the lion's share of the wargaming market for a long time now. Privateer and the other up-and-comers are starting to change that, but 40K is still far and away the largest of the games. Historicals, meaning the actual historical mini games as opposed to Dystopian Wars or stuff like that, are practically a non-factor in the market; they tend to have very small but dedicated core followings.

MizPiz posted:

Lexicanum is a great resource for this; while most of the Tau auxillaries don't have much information on them, in its own way that is good, since it means you can do basically whatever you want. Other than those already mentioned, there are also the Galg, Hrenians, and Anthrazod that I've used for my own Tau allies. The Tau even hire Ork mercenaries to fight alongside their forces sometimes, although they aren't really part of the Empire proper (although in that sense neither are the Kroot.)

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

The Gate posted:

Oh ho ho, that's not a dickish Necron List. This is an rear end in a top hat Necron list:

Dirty Job posted:

That sounds like negative fun.

It's almost cute seeing you guys go bananas over flyer spam and 'cron/CSM lists.

You have yet to experience the 'fun' of competitive Eldar (with a dash of Tau) or even a well run raven wing with dakka banner phalanx.

:gbsmith:

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

cat with hands posted:

It's almost cute seeing you guys go bananas over flyer spam and 'cron/CSM lists.

You have yet to experience the 'fun' of competitive Eldar (with a dash of Tau) or even a well run raven wing with dakka banner phalanx.

:gbsmith:

I run Eldar, though not the numbers of Wave Serpents most people do. They're all pretty hardcore lists. I was mostly using that list to point out that the first list he posted wasn't that bad. 2 Flyers isn't that big a deal. 6 is a bit much unless you're built to handle it.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

I really have to try out eldar allies with my bondage elves one of these days. Seems the best thing about dark eldar now is they get to be battle brothers with regular eldar. :gbsmith:

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

About to start a small Ultramarine detachment, but I am torn what looks better. I can't decide if I want to do gold or yellow trim on them, leaning toward gold, but curious what you guys think usually pops more on the table.

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors

Khorne Flakes posted:

About to start a small Ultramarine detachment, but I am torn what looks better. I can't decide if I want to do gold or yellow trim on them, leaning toward gold, but curious what you guys think usually pops more on the table.

Having seen both, if you do primary yellow, it's gonna look retro as gently caress, harkening to the days of goblin green base rims and primary colors. A darker ochre will probably be the way to go if you want yellow, but not metallic or retro. If that's your thing, then by all means, it's just gonna look cartoony. Gold, on the other hand, looks really good, especially if you lean heavily on white accents like script work on the pauldrons and tank hulls, white veteran helmets, ect.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
What's a good ratio for diluting paints for a base coat without obscuring details?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

What's a good ratio for diluting paints for a base coat without obscuring details?

It depends on the paint you are using! With GW paint it doesn't take much, a wet (but not loaded) brush is usually enough unless the paint is going dry. Some paint straight out of the pot, but I've never been a fan.
You shouldn't be obscuring details unless you are literally gooping the paint on.

Ghost Hand posted:

The tip of the day? If you are going to sell someones stuff and you sign a contract saying you won't leak anything and a partner of yours leaks information then you can get in trouble.
GW has a stick up their rear end and wants to self publicize. Only they suck at it.

The weird thing is that Forgeworld is generally pretty good at teasing releases and building excitement. Doesn't GW and Forgeworld talk to each other?

LordAba fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 5, 2013

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah this seems fairly clear. If Wayland have signed contracts with GW saying that they wont leak information, then it's pretty dodgy for them to be partnered with people in the business of leaking information. Even if they weren't transmitting information to BoW they were clearly endorsing and enabling it.
That said, I can't stand BoW, I think their presentation is bad and their painting tutorials woeful.

LordAba posted:

The weird thing is that Forgeworld is generally pretty good at teasing releases and building excitement. Doesn't GW and Forgeworld talk to each other?

I think Forgeworld get more leeway because, really, no one is competing with FW. They're off in a corner doing their own thing.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
What do I mix with paint to magically turn it into a wash?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

You usually need ink instead of paint. Google Les's Magic Wash Recipe for instructions, it's acrylic matte medium plus some other stuff.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I've never tried it as a wash, but a decent amount of Lahmian Medium might work.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
It's always good to be periodically reminded that GW is a toxic company for reasons in addition to charging $50 for five plastic MEQ. :shepface:

Except for the guys in charge of replacing Finecast. They're pretty cool.

e: The above points about contracts and such are technically correct, but it seems like none of it would be an issue if GW didn't have such a pathological relationship with its customers.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Oct 5, 2013

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I just finished the Ravenor Omnibus. It was so good I didn't want it to end :(

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

JerryLee posted:

It's always good to be periodically reminded that GW is a toxic company for reasons in addition to charging $50 for five plastic MEQ. :shepface:

Except for the guys in charge of replacing Finecast. They're pretty cool.

e: The above points about contracts and such are technically correct, but it seems like none of it would be an issue if GW didn't have such a pathological relationship with its customers.

I've never seen a company that seems to actively hate their customers as much as GW. It's bizarre. I can understand them trying to push people towards their own website or retail stores instead of independent retailers, but they don't need to be such dicks about it. And the quick draw lawyers that get angry over the slightest IP provocation are the biggest dicks of all.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
So I went digging through my parents' house for some old ham-related stuff. I want to dig up some older Marine models, as well as stuff for Chaos cultists and what have you. I was able to quickly dig up this:

Retro as gently caress Marines, Preds, Whirlwind, Dreadnought, sprues of stuff for troops and vehicles, Termies, Assault Marines, old Calgar and Sicarius, Command Squad dudes, Space Hulk 1st edition and Hero Quest. I dug through the Hero Quest box, and every mini is still in there :frogc00l:

Also, I found my old 4th edition Dark Angels and their most inspiring conversion:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
GW, apparently, make more money with their rumour blackout. There's nothing even remotely 'pathological' or 'toxic' about them seeking to protect themselves (and the products we all love) at the expense of some fat nerds who were looking to make their own leech business succeed by undermining that policy. Fat nerds associated with people who knowingly and of their own volition bound themselves to enact the policy.

It's easy to be all internet about it and act like GW are literally Hitler, but it helps to step back and think about it sometimes.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Oct 5, 2013

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

GW, apparently, make more money with their rumour blackout. There's nothing even remotely 'pathological' or 'toxic' about them seeking to protect themselves (and the products we all love) at the expense of some fat nerds who were looking to make their own leech business succeed by undermining that policy. Fat nerds associated with people who knowingly and of their own volition bound themselves to enact the policy.

It's easy to be all internet about it and act like GW are literally Hitler, but it helps to step back and think about it sometimes.

I'll be honest, this doesn't ease my dislike of the policy. It just turns that dislike towards the customers that make that strategy successful. It kinda sucks to dislike fellow hobbyists

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Squifferific posted:

I've never seen a company that seems to actively hate their customers as much as GW. It's bizarre. I can understand them trying to push people towards their own website or retail stores instead of independent retailers, but they don't need to be such dicks about it. And the quick draw lawyers that get angry over the slightest IP provocation are the biggest dicks of all.

You know, outside of Chapterhouse being dumb and not making up fakey names for their conversion kits and that issue with the Space Marine book, I can't think of other issues regarding GW's much maligned legal department.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
That GW's marketing team is run by design interns doesn't help.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

You don't. You turn it into a glaze.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

mmj posted:

I'll be honest, this doesn't ease my dislike of the policy. It just turns that dislike towards the customers that make that strategy successful. It kinda sucks to dislike fellow hobbyists

As I mentioned the other day, I was at GDUK last weekend. I loving loathe fellow hobbyists.

That said, it's also why I'm feeling more mellow towards GW at the moment. It's harder to irrationally hate a faceless entity after talking to the entirely human and friendly faces it is comprised of. I'm sure it'll wear off soon.

The latter, not the former.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

If anyone is being pathological, it's the people who complain constantly, yet still purchase tons of stuff.

Now I'm not trying to call out anyone in this thread. I mean that mainly in regard to the legions of extremely obnoxious whiners you find on sites like Warseer.

Improbable Lobster posted:

You know, outside of Chapterhouse being dumb and not making up fakey names for their conversion kits and that issue with the Space Marine book, I can't think of other issues regarding GW's much maligned legal department.

You know, in the long run the Chapterhouse debacle led to a much better policy regarding new units and models. You'll notice they were very quick to release the entire Necron range and almost all of the DE range, and every new unit introduced in 6E has come with a model.

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I understand this. They need to make money to keep going, and they didn't get to the top of the business by being dumb about it. But when given the choice between a rational policy warning and being a huge dick, it seems like they just reach for the dick first.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Squifferific posted:

I understand this. They need to make money to keep going, and they didn't get to the top of the business by being dumb about it. But when given the choice between a rational policy warning and being a huge dick, it seems like they just reach for the dick first.

Actually, I don't know anything about the BoW thing (I don't watch the show) but reading their own "long story" version of it, they literally got years of cease and desist letters before GW brought the relative hammer down, and by relative hammer I mean GW hasn't even sued them yet. Would you have preferred they sued BoW out of existence in 2011?

If they're legally in the right here (which I have no idea) they're being as lenient as is legally possible without just giving up the intellectual rights they claim to have here entirely.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Direwolf posted:

If they're legally in the right here (which I have no idea) they're being as lenient as is legally possible without just giving up the intellectual rights they claim to have here entirely.

C&D orders aren't necessarily legal, they're usually used when you have uncertain legal footing as a bludgeon against people who can't afford a lawyer to point it out.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I read something a while back that said a lot of GW's mania for secrecy stems from their exclusive rights to Lord of the Rings miniatures. To get and keep those rights, they had to demonstrate a high degree of information security because New Line wasn't exactly keen on images from the movies being released early through a company they didn't directly control.

I don't mind GW being litigious; they have a right to determine how their products are used before they are released (or even sold) but I do wish they'd learn how to tease better.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Fearless posted:

I read something a while back that said a lot of GW's mania for secrecy stems from their exclusive rights to Lord of the Rings miniatures. To get and keep those rights, they had to demonstrate a high degree of information security because New Line wasn't exactly keen on images from the movies being released early through a company they didn't directly control.

I don't mind GW being litigious; they have a right to determine how their products are used before they are released (or even sold) but I do wish they'd learn how to tease better.

I'd prefer they stuck within legal bounds while rightfully protecting their property; that whole incident with the novelist and 'space marine' makes it clear they're far more interested in snatching things they don't have a right to, rather than protecting what they do.

Also yes, they suck royally at PR.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
gently caress ya SRM ...Hero Quest! :black101:

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Is there any reason to build a standard bearer from the SM Command Squad box? 15pts for the company standard seems like poo poo value to me, and gently caress the Emperor's standard for 65.

VVV That's what I thought. I'll not bother then, and hope the bannerless squad will attract less attention as it's "just 5 marines".

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Lungboy posted:

Is there any reason to build a standard bearer from the SM Command Squad box? 15pts for the company standard seems like poo poo value to me, and gently caress the Emperor's standard for 65.

Just aesthetics. The banner was overcosted before, and they nerfed it for the 6th ed codex for some reason. :-/

• Locked thread