Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Lakitu7 posted:

How does it work? What are those reddish blocks that appear to be the "trap" part? Does all the loot burn up?

The reddish block are iridescent bricks, but you can use pretty much whatever. The trap works by monsters trying to jump to the doors above to get to you, and then falling into the pits, because the entrance is too high up to reach. There is a thin layer of lava on the bottom of those pits that does full damage to mobs, but does not destroy the loot. You simply stand next to the windows, watch the monsters burn and get the loot at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Saxophone posted:

I found the goblin tinkerer and the mechanic in the dungeon just earlier. I spoke with the mechanic, but the tinkerer got turned into a fine paste by spikes and skeletons. I didn't have a room for either of them at the time. Am I going to have to just find them again now that I have the rooms built?

Once they're rescued, they stay rescued. Build extra houses and the mechanic and a new tinkerer will move in.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
Has anyone been able to mod that awfully annoying pain sound men make. That poo poo drives me crazy. :psyduck:

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Came back to the game after a long hiatus, decided my first run would be with a hardcore character. To summarize my story, gently caress explosive traps forever I mean goddamnit really how was I supposed to see that :argh:

For posterity, whether my next character is softcore or not -- how do I avoid those or at least know if I accidentally set one off?

Abyssal Lurker
Jul 14, 2007

:jeb:THRILLMASTER:jeb:
Mine out a trap part like a pressure plate or dart shooter and keep it in your active slot as you explore. Makes the wires visible.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I'm having a lot of trouble finding the Ice Key -- gone through a whole Solar Eclipse, Blood Moon, and numerous nights with Battle potions without finding it. It can be found on the surface biome, right?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Came back to the game after a long hiatus, decided my first run would be with a hardcore character. To summarize my story, gently caress explosive traps forever I mean goddamnit really how was I supposed to see that :argh:

For posterity, whether my next character is softcore or not -- how do I avoid those or at least know if I accidentally set one off?

Those and boulders can be a complete arse.

I find the mediumcore option is best for me. It adds danger and a while it's not hardcore, it adds a quite reasonable chance to lose all your poo poo if you die in a terrible place and can't get your primary gear back. The most hideous corpse runs to get my stuff back have been some of the most fun times I've had with Terraria though.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
When are the kinds of HM ore you get determined? When you make the world, when you enter hardmore or when you smash your first altar?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Saxophone posted:

I found the goblin tinkerer and the mechanic in the dungeon just earlier. I spoke with the mechanic, but the tinkerer got turned into a fine paste by spikes and skeletons. I didn't have a room for either of them at the time. Am I going to have to just find them again now that I have the rooms built?

If you've freed an NPC they'll show up normally from then on. So your mechanic is fine, but if the tinker got smoked while still tied up, you'll have to find him again.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Asehujiko posted:

When are the kinds of HM ore you get determined? When you make the world, when you enter hardmore or when you smash your first altar?

It's one of the latter two. I started playing 1.2 on a character who was just about to beat the Wall of Flesh on a world generated during 1.1, and one of his hard mode ores was Titanium.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Heavy neutrino posted:

I'm having a lot of trouble finding the Ice Key -- gone through a whole Solar Eclipse, Blood Moon, and numerous nights with Battle potions without finding it. It can be found on the surface biome, right?

I had the crimson key drop from meteorite, so try making a meteor farm underground in the ice biome.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Heavy neutrino posted:

If my finding the corruption key on the surface is any indication, yes.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Heavy neutrino posted:

It's one of the latter two. I started playing 1.2 on a character who was just about to beat the Wall of Flesh on a world generated during 1.1, and one of his hard mode ores was Titanium.
Awesome so between the custom world gen that guarantees Crimson and that there's only 16 permutation in terms of normal ore when trying to get a world full of new stuff.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Trilin posted:

Has anyone been able to mod that awfully annoying pain sound men make. That poo poo drives me crazy. :psyduck:

Play as a girl, you get a different annoying pain sound. :v:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
As someone who hasn't done hardmode yet, is it better to start a new world? People are posting their castles and it makes me feel like mine is really poorly defended am I going to need great defenses for a hardmode castle?

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Reason posted:

As someone who hasn't done hardmode yet, is it better to start a new world? People are posting their castles and it makes me feel like mine is really poorly defended am I going to need great defenses for a hardmode castle?

There was one enemy mob you had to watch out for pre-patch but I think it's been nerfed now. I do recommend floating your base, just don't float it too high, as there's an enemy that spawns at high altitudes that will brutally murder you and your NPCs.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So here's a random question from a relative newbie: how the gently caress do I get back down to the underworld quickly? I mean, I could dig straight down for ages, but I feel like there has to be some sort of teleportation that I'm missing.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Gonkish posted:

So here's a random question from a relative newbie: how the gently caress do I get back down to the underworld quickly? I mean, I could dig straight down for ages, but I feel like there has to be some sort of teleportation that I'm missing.

There are teleporters but they're kind of a pain. Honesty, digging all the way down isn't so bad. Caves tend to be bigger closer to the bottom and with the better picks it's not too slow. A Hellevator is a worthwhile investment, I'd day.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Gonkish posted:

There are teleporter pads but you need to wire them up which is expensive and time consuming. Just build a hellavator once (tunnel straight down for about 15 minutes) and call it a day. I always start off my worlds building a basic shelter then a hellavator from which I branch out into natural caverns and other biomes.

edit: beaten

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Gonkish posted:

If you have a friend, it's really easy to build a tunnel to hell. Both of you stand in the same hole; one targets the tile on the left, the other targets the tile on the right. Now hold LMB for about two minutes. Make sure to leave a pool of water near the end to break your fall, bring gills potions if you want to save some trouble because you will inevitably end up with a small lake's worth of water seeping into your tunnel.

If you're alone, it's kind of a pain because you have to move your mouse around a lot.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Hellevators are a staple of Terraria and I am disappointed that the Guide doesn't suggest that you make one.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So I bought this at release but never really played it, playing it for the first time now and that captnduck video seems outdated on several things... how do I make a back wall for my house? And I made a 3 space high gap and it won't let me place wood. I also seem to only be able to wave torches around, not place them.

I suck at this game. :smith:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
It's all tile-based. If you've played Minecraft, block and item placement rules are almost exactly the same, just in 2D. Your cursor needs to be adjacent to a block to place anything down. If there's a wall behind you, you can stick torches and platforms and some items to it, but otherwise you need to work outward fro ma starting point. This includes walls, which need to start from an extant wall section or an emplaced block.

e: Much later you will be able to buy an accessory, the Ruler, that overlays a grid onto your view to aid with block placement, but by then you may no longer need it. You may, however, find it rewarding to sign your character into a multiplayer world with a Goblin Tinker, buy a Ruler or have it gifted to you, and return to your single-player world with it.

e2: You may also be trying to place things too far from your character. You can only reach about five or six blocks from your dude's sprite.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 5, 2013

Broand
Oct 13, 2011
I built a snowy castle but hardmode possessed armours and zombies keep spawning on top of my battlement wall, which has a door leading into my base. Is there a way to prevent zombies from spawning on top of my castle walls? There's not much point to the walls other to keep zombies out after all.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Broand posted:

I built a snowy castle but hardmode possessed armours and zombies keep spawning on top of my battlement wall, which has a door leading into my base. Is there a way to prevent zombies from spawning on top of my castle walls? There's not much point to the walls other to keep zombies out after all.

Pumped in lava activated by a switch.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

FirstPlayer posted:

So I did some experimenting with wings and found that they have different jump heights (sorry if I missed this already being covered):
(Without any kind of boots, balloons or things in bottles this is how high each one that I tried took me)

Frozen/Ghost Wings: 165 feet
Harpy Wings: 145 feet
Butterfly/Fairy Wings: 135 feet
Jetpack: 120 feet
Angel Wings: 107 feet

Those are all the ones I have so I'm not sure about the others. Lightning boots added exactly 40 feet to each height.

There seem to be 5 tiers of wings. This was tried on a goon server with lightning boots, so minus 40 ft without them. Spoilered if you want them to be a surprise as you go:

Tier 1 - Angel/Demon (146 ft)
Tier 2 - Jetpack (160 ft)
Tier 3 - Bee/Butterfly (174 ft)
Tier 4 - Bat/Harpy/Bone (184 ft)
Tier 5 - Flame/Leaf/Frozen/Ghost (202 ft)

There are also apparently Steampunk Wings but I don't know its stats cause nobody has figured out how to get them yet

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

shymog posted:

I love those things but I can't really think of anything to build with them that doesn't look like poop.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

That's a perfect as hell stripper bar out in the Middle-of-Goddamned-Nowhere, Nevada.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Fuzz posted:

So I bought this at release but never really played it, playing it for the first time now and that captnduck video seems outdated on several things... how do I make a back wall for my house? And I made a 3 space high gap and it won't let me place wood. I also seem to only be able to wave torches around, not place them.

I suck at this game. :smith:

First off, make a crafting bench with some wood, and place it down inside your hovel. After that, you can now craft 'wall' items out of stone, wood or dirt. These items will create your back wall. You start placing your walls on your outer layer of blocks, your 'solid wall' portion.

Torches can be placed on the backwalls and on the sides of the blocks themselves. You'll see the torch icon near your cursor once you can set it.

To make it so people can move in, you have to use the crafting bench and wood to make a table (Work tables are fine, too), a chair, a couple torches for light and a door. Once you get a 3-space high gap, you can place a door by placing it on the ground in the gap. Make sure the space you have the 'room' in is at about seven blocks high or more.

It gets easier once you get the basics down, and the guide and the wiki can help you out a lot starting off. Just keep at it, and you'll do fine.

J.A.B.C. fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 5, 2013

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

So how do you make the Party Girl appear? The wiki claims you just need eight other NPCs, but I have 14 and plenty of open housing and she still isn't here.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Jesus christ on a moped, mythical magnet sphere is just pure loving poetry in motion. It's art. I went from adamantium and an excalibur to spectre and magnet sphere and oh god it feels so good to go through that dungeon now. No more hiding from anything, no more praying I can mirror out before a paladin kills me, just murder. Nothing but murder.

I will weep when it gets nerfed.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Logan 5 posted:

There seem to be 5 tiers of wings. This was tried on a goon server with lightning boots, so minus 40 ft without them. Spoilered if you want them to be a surprise as you go:

Tier 1 - Angel/Demon (146 ft)
Tier 2 - Jetpack (160 ft)
Tier 3 - Bee/Butterfly (174 ft)
Tier 4 - Bat/Harpy/Bone (184 ft)
Tier 5 - Flame/Leaf/Frozen/Ghost (202 ft)

There are also apparently Steampunk Wings but I don't know its stats cause nobody has figured out how to get them yet

The spoilered ones you are missing go up the furthest, 221 feet with the boots. Now to figure out how to get them legit...

LAY-ZX posted:

So how do you make the Party Girl appear? The wiki claims you just need eight other NPCs, but I have 14 and plenty of open housing and she still isn't here.
Same issue for me. At the time I went over 8 npc's I don't think I had spare housing available, maybe that's what screwed me.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Jusupov posted:

The spoilered ones you are missing go up the furthest, 221 feet with the boots. Now to figure out how to get them legit...

Oooo. Someone speculated that it might be somehow related to the steampunker during a solar eclipse, but we havent been able to try anything yet

There's a special server up where the spawn rate is turned up to the highest possible amount of enemies on the screen as possible, and its insane. Trying to survive the hardmode dungeon by yourself without spectre set and a decent magic item/vampire knives is impossible, and even then you're probably going to get your poo poo wrecked

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Logan 5 posted:

Oooo. Someone speculated that it might be somehow related to the steampunker during a solar eclipse, but we havent been able to try anything yet

There's a special server up where the spawn rate is turned up to the highest possible amount of enemies on the screen as possible, and its insane. Trying to survive the hardmode dungeon by yourself without spectre set and a decent magic item/vampire knives is impossible, and even then you're probably going to get your poo poo wrecked

I was able to survive for a decent amuount of time. With Spectre, Mana-Cuffs, Magnet Sphere, and Inferno Fork, I had no problem staying alive and having full mana constantly, but take your attention away for a moment and you're dead meat.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Logan 5 posted:

As far as I can tell it isn't related to the solar eclipse event. Just keep checking on her at random times, I had no idea they were special when I bought them and now I have no idea how to get a second pair for a friend without cheating.

Also I hope the Vampire Knives from the Crimson Chest never get nerfed. I love them.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

J.A.B.C. posted:

First off, make a crafting bench with some wood, and place it down inside your hovel. After that, you can now craft 'wall' items out of stone, wood or dirt. These items will create your back wall. You start placing your walls on your outer layer of blocks, your 'solid wall' portion.

Torches can be placed on the backwalls and on the sides of the blocks themselves. You'll see the torch icon near your cursor once you can set it.

To make it so people can move in, you have to use the crafting bench and wood to make a table (Work tables are fine, too), a chair, a couple torches for light and a door. Once you get a 3-space high gap, you can place a door by placing it on the ground in the gap. Make sure the space you have the 'room' in is at about seven blocks high or more.

It gets easier once you get the basics down, and the guide and the wiki can help you out a lot starting off. Just keep at it, and you'll do fine.

Yeah, I was trying to make walls with the wood wall not realizing that was actually a BACK wall.

Made some progress so far, have a little shack that my Guide lives in, built a small mining shack nearby where I found a copper vein, explored a little and found a huge jungle pit off to the left which I didn't explore yet, to the right is a huge fuckoff mountain with a cave system in it that I've poked around in... got far enough down that now the back wall is rock and I can't stick torches in there, plus there were a shitload of red slimes in this pit below so I didn't go any farther. Just made a copper sword and chest piece, also have a rope coil and wish I had more rope in general but sadly all there was was in a little pot I found by the jungle.

Having fun so far. gently caress huge zombie hordes, though. I'll stop cluttering the thread with my lovely newbie first run log.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Fuzz posted:

Having fun so far. gently caress huge zombie hordes, though. I'll stop cluttering the thread with my lovely newbie first run log.

Some of the best bits of this game are exploration and discovery, keep posting! Also you'll find plenty more rope, smash more pots in caves just a little under the surface.

How hard is it to find/rare are pyramids? I've only seen one in a server and it was picked clean long before I go there. I keep making lots of different sized worlds looking for them but nada. Are they not visible from the surface, do you have to dig them out?

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Very rare, sometimes you can spot sandstone accessways in the desert, covered with sand, leading down, but those aren't proper pyramids. I'd recommend trying to look for them on a medium map.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man how are people finding the super biome keys so easily? I've yet to see a single one and I've not exactly been slacking on my murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Are there any reasons to hold onto duplicates of accessories? Like the large pile of shackles that I have?

• Locked thread