Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J4Gently
Jul 15, 2013

grack posted:

Hey, I'm a professional advisor!

...and unfortunately it's mostly true. You can't imagine how many portfolios I've seen churned on a yearly basis to generate new commissions. It's disgusting.

And that in a nut shell is the problem, you pay a premium for sub-par performance the incentives are warped.

At least random internet folks do not have an incentive to give bad advice.

http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article/if-index-funds-perform-better-why-are-actively-managed-funds-more-popular/

quote:

A parade of studies has shown why: Index funds, which try to simply match the performance of a broad market sector, have consistently beaten “actively managed” funds, where professional money managers attempt to outperform the market by picking the hottest stocks and bonds.

Over the 23 years ending in 2009, actively managed funds trailed their benchmarks by an average of one percentage point a year. If a benchmark like the Standard & Poor’s 500 returned 10%, the average managed fund investing in similar stocks would therefore have returned 9%, while an index fund would have returned 9.8% to 9.9%, giving up only a small amount for fees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

I've made a couple mistakes in the first two years working at my job. At least I'm still 26 years old.

Mistake #1) Bought a whole life policy with Northwestern Mutual at the recommendation of my co-workers. Cancelled after nine months after reading information online. I'm out $2700.

Mistake #2) Not investing into a Roth IRA for the first two years despite Mint yelling at me to do so.

Anyway, I corrected those two mistakes and now I am checking out my company's 401K plan. Right now, it is automatically contributing to Fidelity's Target Retirement Date of 2050, but I've seen several posts suggesting this is a bad idea and my cousin also said it wasn't the greatest investment portfolio for someone of my age.

These are my options. I've excluded everything with an expense ratio greater than 1% and the target retirement date funds. From what I've read, I should look probably into the Spartan 500 Index Fund, the Spartan International Index Fund, and the Spartan U.S. Bond Index, probably at 80/10/10 ratios. Do I have the right idea here?

Glenmede Small Cap Equity Portfolio Class Advisor (GTCSX)

Fidelity® Growth & Income Portfolio - Class K (FGIKX)

Spartan® Extended Market Index Fund - Fidelity Advantage Class (FSEVX)

Fidelity® Low-Priced Stock Fund - Class K (FLPKX)

Spartan® 500 Index Fund - Fidelity Advantage Class (FUSVX)

MainStay Large Cap Growth Fund Class R1 (MLRRX)

T. Rowe Price Equity Income Fund (PRFDX)

Fidelity® Dividend Growth Fund - Class K (FDGKX)

Fidelity® Puritan® Fund - Class K (FPUKX)

Fidelity® Diversified International Fund - Class K (FDIKX)

Spartan® International Index Fund - Fidelity Advantage Class (FSIVX)

PIMCO Total Return Fund Administrative Class (PTRAX)

Spartan® U.S. Bond Index Fund - Fidelity Advantage Class (FSITX)

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Fidelity Freedom 2050 isn't a terrible option for a 401k. You can see the composition https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mutual-funds/composition/315792416 - It' 63 domestic, 23 international, 15 bond, which seems pretty reasonable to me. It just has a significantly higher expense ratio than the Vanguard target retirement funds, so it takes some flack here.

I'm guessing a portfolio like you are suggesting would have a lower effective expense ratio, but you didn't provide expense ratios, so who knows.

I'd consider something like
60 (some combination of 500 index and extended market index, maybe 4:1 favoring 500 - check to see what you need to get the end result roughly market cap-weighted)
35 International index
15 total bond

DrewkroDleman
May 17, 2008

SHAME.

Gold and a Pager posted:

What up fellow American-in-Germany goon! I have been looking into how to best invest for retirement while living in Germany and it doesn't look so great. Vanguard exists in Germany, but the fund selection is greatly reduced and I think you then run into FACTA issues since it's a foreign account. On the other hand, if you continue to invest in some sort of retirement account in the US, the fund you use has to be a "transparent" fund, registered in Germany or it could be subject to punitive taxes. There is some more reading you can do about it here.

I've been meaning to go to an accountant here and/or paying for 30 min consultation with a US accountancy firm specializing in expat taxes to see what my best options are, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet :negative:

Hey! Somewhat relieved to know I am not the only one. Contacting an accountant is on my to-do list once I get my income established (what exactly my net is and roughly how much I can save) and a fair bit saved.

One trading portal, which includes purchasing funds, that seems to be what I am looking Cortal Consors (a subsidiary of BNP Paribas) found at https://www.cortalconsors.de/home. I haven't done much there besides searching for European funds I may be interested in purchasing but they seem pretty OK but then again I am really a stupid newbie.

To Goons as a whole: What is the common thought about Income Funds which have monthly distributions such as Franklin Income Fund Class A (FKINX)? My father set one up for me awhile ago (I have since had to drain it for finishing my masters degree) and I liked the way it worked. What are the drawbacks/benefits?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

gvibes posted:

Fidelity Freedom 2050 isn't a terrible option for a 401k. You can see the composition https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mutual-funds/composition/315792416 - It' 63 domestic, 23 international, 15 bond, which seems pretty reasonable to me. It just has a significantly higher expense ratio than the Vanguard target retirement funds, so it takes some flack here.

Exactly. It has an OK composition, and heavily uses indexing, it's just that the expense ratio is enough to go to Vanguard.

gvibes posted:

I'm guessing a portfolio like you are suggesting would have a lower effective expense ratio, but you didn't provide expense ratios, so who knows.

I see Fidelity Spartan Advantage class funds, so I'm guessing the account is with Fidelity. Either way, my guess would be the Spartan funds are best:

Spartan® Extended Market Index Fund - Fidelity Advantage Class (FSEVX)
Spartan® 500 Index Fund - Fidelity Advantage Class (FUSVX)
Spartan® International Index Fund - Fidelity Advantage Class (FSIVX)
Spartan® U.S. Bond Index Fund - Fidelity Advantage Class (FSITX)

Go with something akin to what gvibes stated and you should be set.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
The TURD 2050 has an ER of 0.82% LOL! You will be able to cut that down at least 75% by choosing your own Spartan index funds or using the Vanguard 2050 which has an ER of 0.18%

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
If anyone could offer some advice to a 40 year old who has never done any sort of saving whatsoever, I would appreciate it!

Here's the skinny: 40, married, no kids. The wife is currently unemployed (:argh:) and we own our home (mortgage.) I try to save what I can without impacting us too greatly - right now I'm doing $50 per week, but I think I can bump that a bit.

The job I work at does not offer a 401K, but does offer a 457 (municipal govt) but I don't get a matching contribution as I get a do get a retirement (so far.) We do have the option of a Roth IRA (Vantagepoint, if that means anything to anyone, with no fees) and I don't know if I should go with that or someone else (I have a former ING account, now Capital One, so I could do Sharebuilder.) I've got some old bonds, and if I cash them in, I think I can max out for this year.

If the 457 isn't a logical choice (and I don't know why it really would be) what's a good selection of investments for starting off the IRA?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

berzerkmonkey posted:

If anyone could offer some advice to a 40 year old who has never done any sort of saving whatsoever, I would appreciate it!

Is the 457b a governmental or non-governmental one? In any case, being worthwhile really depends on what funds are available in that account. As for a Roth IRA, you can start those with just about any company. Many people here recommend Vanguard. Schwab and Fidelity aren't bad choices either.

Madbullogna
Jul 23, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

....If the 457 isn't a logical choice (and I don't know why it really would be) what's a good selection of investments for starting off the IRA?

Monkey - lots of blah, blah, blah below, but hopefully it helps, even if just a bit....

A 457b can be a great retirement vessel, depending upon your situation. I funneled money into mine for several years, but unfortunately didn't really understand what I was doing until recently. Some things that you should look at based on what I saw once I started poking around, (and obviously based solely on my opinion/observations):

1> Are you planning or expecting to be in a higher tax bracket during retirement than while you're working? My retirement/pension plan will provide a very, very large sum of money, an amount almost four times my current salary. Despite only making ~37k/year gross, the miracle of 7% compounding interest, 2.25:1 match, and what will be close to 40 years of service (ie; 40 years worth of deposits), will mean I can walk away at 60yoa with around a 125k/year benefit.

My pension alone will bump me into a higher bracket. Depending on how things change, I want to limit my liability, so a 457 was not good for me. Having the 17.5k/year contribution limit it great, (assuming you can fully fund it, which I can't), but my final distributions will only harm me when it comes to taxes, (potentially anyway). EDIT - I just realized you stated you had a Roth 457 option, this concern isn't really as valid anymore. (I would LOVE a Roth option in ours, but alas we don't). Assuming you will get a 'healthy' pension, your Roth 457 could be a great opportunity for you. Depending on what's in it though, (see #2).

2> What funds, expense ratios and misc fees does your plan offer? I had my money going into a target date fund, without even understanding how bad the 0.78% ER was. Whether large or small contributions, it still all adds up. I didn't want that high ER nibbling away at my efforts. This caused me to look into other avenues of saving. I may have what I consider a solid pension, but you never know what the world has in store for you.

If you have some low ER options that you can make work into an AA that works for you, this could be a good thing. What are your choices and their ERs?

3> Roth IRA. I found by reading here on SA, bogleheads, and various other sources, (and now a few books that I've delved into), that a Roth IRA was what I needed. Vanguard happened to have what I wanted in one. I ultimately decided on their VTTHX (2035 Target Date), as it had the AA I was looking for, with a MUCH lower ER than I was getting in my 457. I have since ceased contributions to my 457, and relocated the small balance I have into the only two options with a lower ER. I am now using my Roth IRA as my alternate/secondary retirement vessel.

Madbullogna fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 4, 2013

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Inept posted:

Is the 457b a governmental or non-governmental one? In any case, being worthwhile really depends on what funds are available in that account. As for a Roth IRA, you can start those with just about any company. Many people here recommend Vanguard. Schwab and Fidelity aren't bad choices either.
I'm assuming governmental - I work in a municipal government.

Wow - thanks for taking the time to post that. Sadly, I don't understand about 20% of it (:durr:), but I don't know anything about investing. I've always known it was a good idea to do so, but I just never actually went through with it. I'm a dummy.

Anyway, assuming I do receive my pension, I will be making about the same amount I am currently. I'm going to wager that it will probably not put me in a higher tax bracket. Also, I don't know if the 457 is a Roth 457 (or are they the same thing?)

As for the IRA fees, the company we deal with looks like a .60% annual fee for managed accounts (I'm assuming this is the ER you were referring to.) They also have a "Fund advice" fee for $20 per year, but it appears you have to initiate that before you're charged a fee.

Regarding investment options, I've got a whole page of stuff here - Bonds, Balanced/Asset Allocation,US Stock, International Stock, Speciality. I'm thinking the Vantagepoint Milestone fund (2035) (under Balanced/Asset Allocation) is likely similar to the VTTHX (2035 Target Date) you mentioned.

I hope I gave you a little more insight - I'm not sure if I really answered anything...

EDIT: Wow - the Vanguard has an .18% fee? That looks better than .60%...

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 4, 2013

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

Madbullogna posted:

...My retirement/pension plan will provide a very, very large sum of money, an amount almost four times my current salary. Despite only making ~37k/year gross, the miracle of 7% compounding interest, 2.25:1 match, and what will be close to 40 years of service (ie; 40 years worth of deposits), will mean I can walk away at 60yoa with around a 125k/year benefit.

Be very careful to not ignore inflation in your planning here, as $37,000 40 years ago is worth about $195,000 today...

Madbullogna posted:

My pension alone will bump me into a higher bracket.

And the inflation comes into play here too as one might assume the tax brackets will adjust to reflect it. Also to be perfectly honest with you, I'm not so sure I would just assume that the pension would be there without any modifications in 40 years...

---

Monkey, the OP's rules on where to invest still apply to you - just substitute your 457b with the 401k. Some people will also have access to a 403(b) *and* and 457(b) - if this is the case you may contribute the 17.5k max to each of them.

Revised chart for you:
1) Contribute to 401(k)/403(b)/457(b) up to employer match
2) Max out Roth IRA ($5,500 this year)
3a) Max out 457(b) ($17,500 limit this year)
3b) Max out 401(k)/403(b) ($17,500 limit this year)
4) If you were able to finish Step 3, you will end up rich in all likelihood. Start a taxable savings account, or go out and blow some money at a strip club or something.

Since you are getting a late start, it is that much more important to save what you can into *something*...

edit:

berzerkmonkey posted:

EDIT: Wow - the Vanguard has an .18% fee? That looks better than .60%...

For your Roth IRA, I'd highly recommend Vanguard and their Target Retirement funds. They are a great choice if you don't want to mess around with it too much w/o getting bent over for fees. Also, you have access to some of the best expenses for anything else if you utilize the resources in the OP to learn about your options down the road.

You just need to initially save up $1000 to open the account with a target fund - From there you can do automatic investments into it. Just don't forget to sign up for paperless statements to save yourself the $20/year account fee.

Fancy_Lad fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 4, 2013

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Fancy_Lad posted:

Monkey, the OP's rules on where to invest still apply to you - just substitute your 457b with the 401k. Some people will also have access to a 403(b) *and* and 457(b) - if this is the case you may contribute the 17.5k max to each of them.

Revised chart for you:
1) Contribute to 401(k)/403(b)/457(b) up to employer match
2) Max out Roth IRA ($5,500 this year)
3a) Max out 457(b) ($17,500 limit this year)
3b) Max out 401(k)/403(b) ($17,500 limit this year)
4) If you were able to finish Step 3, you will end up rich in all likelihood. Start a taxable savings account, or go out and blow some money at a strip club or something.

Since you are getting a late start, it is that much more important to save what you can into *something*...
Welp, my employer doesn't contribute *anything* to the 457(b), as I get a pension. So should I even bother with that at all? Honestly, with the wife not working, I'm not sure about being able to max out a Roth IRA after this year, let alone both the IRA and a 457(b), so should I just concentrate on the Roth?

Fancy_Lad posted:

For your Roth IRA, I'd highly recommend Vanguard and their Target Retirement funds. They are a great choice if you don't want to mess around with it too much w/o getting bent over for fees. Also, you have access to some of the best expenses for anything else if you utilize the resources in the OP to learn about your options down the road.

You just need to initially save up $1000 to open the account with a target fund - From there you can do automatic investments into it. Just don't forget to sign up for paperless statements to save yourself the $20/year account fee.
I've got the initial $1000, so that isn't a problem. I guess I should start with that - just choose based on my target retirement date, correct?

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 4, 2013

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003

berzerkmonkey posted:

Welp, my employer doesn't contribute *anything* to the 457(b), as I get a pension. So should I even bother with that at all? Honestly, with the wife not working, I'm not sure about being able to max out a Roth IRA after this year, let alone both the IRA and a 457(b), so should I just concentrate on the Roth?

Correct. If your employer match is 0, match that 0 for step 1. The reason for this is your employer provided funds are usually going to have worse expenses than what you can find individually (Vanguard), but if they are matching it is free money and therefor very hard to beat unless the plan is absolutely horrible.

Also keep in mind that you may contribute $5.5k for your Roth IRA and 5.5k for your wife's Roth IRA if you file taxes jointly. (the $5000 limit is for last year, but info should still be good)

That should keep you busy for some time working towards maxing that out.

berzerkmonkey posted:

I've got the initial $1000, so that isn't a problem. I guess I should start with that - just choose based on my target retirement date, correct?

That's a great starting point.

Fancy_Lad fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 4, 2013

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Gotcha - thanks for the info, guys.

Madbullogna
Jul 23, 2009
I'm too slow, was typing along when I realized Fancy covered it. (And I mis-read that you said Roth IRA, and not Roth 457, apologies for confusing you on that). Fancy is spot on with that 'priority list' on how to fund. I wouldn't worry about making small deposits. It all adds up over time. You may only be able to have your initial 1k and 200/month, but every time you get a COLA or a step increase, take a portion and add to it, (before you even see it). If you do that every time you get more money, you'll never miss not having it to spend.

Fancy - Very true on the inflation concern and thinking about it. With that said, we have regular COLAs that further fund our plan, and 'generally' do a decent job of keeping up with inflation. I certainly don't assume the pension plan won't be modified in some form or fashion over the next ~25 years before I retire. Heck, we just had some tea-party prick try to change some of the State laws that would have had a drastic affect on us. However, it died and never even made it to committee.

Our plan is over 92% fully-funded, (top 15% of public employer plans nationally), and has managed to keep that funding level for more than a decade, (I think this fiscal year actually puts us in year 13 or 14 of over 90%+ funding). Fitch and S&P consider anything over 80% funded to be healthy, (which we've maintained for even longer), so we've got some room to gloat. We currently have over 20bil in assets, and receive zero State funding, it is all employee, employer and investment earnings. Final pension levels are also determined by your individual account balance & estimated lifespan, not some variation of "average highest 3 years of the last 15 years of your salary" b.s. that has gotten so many public plans in deep financial crisis, ie bankruptcy.

All of that said - I do still worry. Not so much that I have any reason to believe I'll only get half my estimated benefit by the time I start drawing. But, enough that I started that Roth IRA. Because what you said is very, very true.....Nothing in life is a sure thing. All you can do is stack the cards in your favor.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003

Madbullogna posted:

Because what you said is very, very true.....Nothing in life is a sure thing. All you can do is stack the cards in your favor.

Absolutely. Better to have extra money you weren't counting on than needing money that isn't there :D

We plan/save like social security and my wife's pension won't be there, even though I'm fairly certain there will be *something*, just perhaps not what we see today.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I have a Fidelity 401k that's allocated mostly into the "Spartan 500 Index Fund" and while I've noticed it mostly tracks exactly to the S&P 500, sometimes it's way off. For instance, today the S&P gained 0.7%, but FXSIX is only up 0.2%. It's rare enough that I'm not complaining, the fund has performed well overall and the expense ratio is great, I'm just curious if anyone knows why it would be off sometimes?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Check after around 8PM - Mutual funds tend to only update prices a few hours after the market closes.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

ntan1 posted:

Check after around 8PM - Mutual funds tend to only update prices a few hours after the market closes.

Yeah, it usually updates around 6, it's definitely updated (the software I'm using to look at it doesn't show it in the daily changes until it updates). Just to be clear, I'm not freaking out or complaining, and I know over-analyzing a long-term investment can be detrimental, and I'm absolutely not trying to time the market or make decisions based on it.

I'm just a little curious why sometimes the index fund doesn't match the index. I figure there's something else going on there, like maybe a small portion of the fund is held aside as a cash reserve, and a difference represents a larger than usual buy or something? I really know very little about the inner workings of index funds.

edit: Here's the two overlayed
https://www.google.com/finance?chdn...UrCcG-bl0QHiiQE

A total layman such as myself would expect them to match up exactly, right? It does seem to track close over time just fine, off by 1% or less no matter how far out you go. It occurs to me that the difference is probably from when the expenses come out then?

SlightlyMadman fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 5, 2013

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

SlightlyMadman posted:

A total layman such as myself would expect them to match up exactly, right? It does seem to track close over time just fine, off by 1% or less no matter how far out you go. It occurs to me that the difference is probably from when the expenses come out then?

This is in the prospectus, and it pretty much sums it up. You'll find a similar statement in the prospectus of any index fund:

Spartan 500 Prospectus posted:

Correlation to Index. The performance of the fund and its index may vary somewhat due to factors such as fees and expenses of the fund, imperfect correlation between the fund's securities and those in its index, timing differences associated with additions to and deletions from its index, and changes in the shares outstanding of the component securities. The fund may not be fully invested at times, either as a result of cash flows into the fund or as a result of reserves of cash held by the fund to meet redemptions. The use of sampling techniques or futures or other derivative positions may affect the fund's ability to achieve close correlation with its index.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good all-in-one portfolio tool? I'm trying to find something simple that also lets me define investment percentages and evaluate what I need to do to rebalance them, but it doesn't seem like any of the free tools do that and I'd prefer to avoid having one place tracking prices, history, and news, and then a separate spreadsheet just to put in percentages and manually enter in totals for a quick output for rebalancing.

J4Gently
Jul 15, 2013

nessin posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good all-in-one portfolio tool? I'm trying to find something simple that also lets me define investment percentages and evaluate what I need to do to rebalance them, but it doesn't seem like any of the free tools do that and I'd prefer to avoid having one place tracking prices, history, and news, and then a separate spreadsheet just to put in percentages and manually enter in totals for a quick output for rebalancing.

I think this might be what you are looking for
http://portfolio.morningstar.com/Rtport/Free/InstantXRayDEntry.aspx

It looks at the holdings of each fund and shows the diversification and holdings.

Huttan
May 15, 2013

Folly posted:

I am fully vested in a pension from my former employer.

{snip}

I believe that I can roll it into a traditional IRA without a penalty. Assuming that's true, is there any reason not to? I mean, for diversification purposes, this is probably the only way I'll be able to get an asset like this. I guess it is mostly a corporate bond in terms of asset class?

If you are in America, and this is an actual defined benefit pension, then you can't get a payout unless the plan either allows cashing out or the plan is trying to shed employees (Ford was doing this). The payout they'll offer you will be a fraction of the cost to replace the pension with a single life annuity (a defined benefit plan is basically an annuity). I have one with GM (and I think PBGC has picked it up since GM's bankruptcy) and every now and then they offer me about 1/4 of what it would cost to replace the pension. Public employee pensions generally allow for folks who have quit but are not old enough to take retirement benefits to cash out the balance of their pension. Every person I know personally who has done this has deeply regretted it years later when they did the math.

With a pension, risks for ups/downs in the market belong to the employer. With defined contribution plans (401k, 403b and so on), all the risks for ups and downs in the market are taken by you.

I strongly recommend that you never take the lump sum payout from a pension. You will only get ahead if you are a better investor than people with full time jobs investing in Wall Street. And if you really are that good you need to be working on Wall Street taking all their money.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Huttan posted:

I strongly recommend that you never take the lump sum payout from a pension. You will only get ahead if you are a better investor than people with full time jobs investing in Wall Street. And if you really are that good you need to be working on Wall Street taking all their money.

On the other hand, a typical pension strategy is to drop the money in hedge funds and other high fee vehicles. When you take that into account, investing the lump sum yourself makes sense.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Folly posted:

Actually, I'm glad you're here. Can you tell me the name of a good book that offers a counterpoint to what I've been reading? Something that posits some combination of 1) market timing is a verifiable skill, 2) the current mutual fund hiring systems adequately recruit people with this skill into fund management positions, 3) the use of this skill is profitable enough to overcome the fund fees.

There are very few books that offer a direct counterpoint to the argument that "active mutual funds are usually a bad idea". The issue is that there's too much empirical evidence that shows that active mutual funds tend to fail, and anybody seriously thinking about investing in active funds needs to take that into account. For example, 2/3rds of active funds fail per year, and there only a handful of active funds that have beat the index after a period of 20 years.

Books that offer a counterpoint generally suggest that it's possible to beat the stock market. So, I'd recommend looking at the the Stock Market thread and picking out the Cramer books and the technical analysis books. Most of them suggest directly trading on the stock market instead.

There's also Vanguard active management. It's well noted that Bogle and Warren Buffet these days have strategies that are similar to Vanguard active management, where they basically index almost everything, but make a few small careful strategic decisions that deviate from the index. I believe that Bogle at least puts a small percentage of his money into Vanguard active funds. Their funds are performing well, but this can also possibly be attributed to selection bias.

My opinion: here's the thing. Why try to take risks in active management when you can beat 99% of the market just by staying in indexed funds? There might be an active management fund that is actually good, but I personally don't think it's worth taking the risk.

kansas
Dec 3, 2012

nessin posted:

I'd check out personal capital. Breaks down mutual funds in the large cap/small cap and growth/value along with international, emerging, alternatives, bonds, cash etc.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I see HSA chat in here once in a while. I'll be on a HDHP next year, who should I open an HSA with?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Guy Axlerod posted:

I see HSA chat in here once in a while. I'll be on a HDHP next year, who should I open an HSA with?

Are you sure you have any say in the matter? My hdhp offered through work has an HSA through Chase. I didnt get to choose what bank my hsa was at, and I didnt think thst was typically up to the participant.

Huttan
May 15, 2013

baquerd posted:

On the other hand, a typical pension strategy is to drop the money in hedge funds and other high fee vehicles. When you take that into account, investing the lump sum yourself makes sense.

Nope. It still doesn't. The pension plan is on the hook to pay you $X per month. If they burn lots of it on hookers, blow and hedge funds, they still owe you $X/month. If they go tits up, then PBGC is on the hook for for the first $4600/month. For defined benefit plans, the investment risk is all on the side of the company. When you take the payout, the risk becomes all yours, plus they never pay out the full value of what your benefits are.

Most hedge funds refuse to accept investments of ERISA covered money. If they have more than 25% of invested money subject to ERISA rules then the whole fund becomes subject to ERISA regulation and reporting.

For a private pension, you can look up the details of what your plan reports to the Department of Labor, IRS and PBGC. To look at the filings, you can search online at the DOL. The fees paid are reported on schedules A and C. Schedule G is for investments that turn to crap because they're defaulting - like bad loans. Schedules H & I are for reporting what sort of investments your pension is investing in, they're effectively a balance sheet, income statement and accountant's opinion.

My advice is to learn how to read a 5500 filing. Even if you only ever work for a company that only has a 401k, it must report that. This stuff is complicated and you aren't going to learn it overnight. Filings are required to be available to the public 45 days after submission (there are some exceptions for forms that have PII [such as 8955-SSA] and tiny pension filings such as for a doctor [1-2 participants such as Dr and spouse]). The major filing deadlines are June 30 and October 15 (because you filed the extension).

I work in this industry, my employer sells software and training for reporting pension stuff to the feds.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Are you sure you have any say in the matter? My hdhp offered through work has an HSA through Chase. I didnt get to choose what bank my hsa was at, and I didnt think thst was typically up to the participant.

This is an individual health plan purchased on the ACA market. I see Chase and Bank of America appear to offer individual HSAs. My employer is not involved.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
http://www.hsabank.com/
It lets you send your money to TDAmeritrade who gets free trades on Vanguard ETFs.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Possibly even better:

https://hsaadministrators.info/

The only reason I'm linking this is that they're listed on https://personal.vanguard.com/us/whatweoffer/overview/healthsavings

BnT
Mar 10, 2006

Guy Axlerod posted:

This is an individual health plan purchased on the ACA market. I see Chase and Bank of America appear to offer individual HSAs. My employer is not involved.

The HSA service providers all have a way of getting their cut, so depending on whether you plan on trading and the balance of your HSA account, fees can vary:

HSA Bank: $2.50/month if balance is less than $4925 in 2014, also $3/month for investing if your balance is below the same level. TD Ameritrade investments.
HSA Administrators: $45/year regardless of balance + 0.08% of account balance per quarter. Vanguard mutual funds.
Chase: $2.50/month for HSA + $2.50/month for investment accounts. Mostly JP Morgan mutual funds.
Wells Fargo: $4.25/month for balances under $5000. Wells Fargo mutual funds.
Bank of America: $4.50 a month unless enrolled through an employer. A mix of mutual funds including a few Vanguard funds.
Others including some credit unions with zero or low-cost, like Alliant: Free HSA, but $5.95/month for investing. I have no idea on their investment quality.

I'd spend some time reading the fine print and see what works for you. The HSA Administrators likely has the lowest-cost funds, but if for example you only had a $1000 balance, the annual expenses of the account would be approaching 5%, and less than 1% if you had a $10k balance. Two other things to keep in mind (1) some providers require a base balance which you must maintain in a low-interest account and balances above this amount can be invested (for BoA this is $1000), (2) expense and/or interest rates on some of the investment offerings are pretty terrible, so I'd look into those as well.

I hope Vanguard does their own offering at some point.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Huttan posted:

Nope. It still doesn't. The pension plan is on the hook to pay you $X per month. If they burn lots of it on hookers, blow and hedge funds, they still owe you $X/month. If they go tits up, then PBGC is on the hook for for the first $4600/month. For defined benefit plans, the investment risk is all on the side of the company. When you take the payout, the risk becomes all yours, plus they never pay out the full value of what your benefits are.

I recently helped my dad evaluate his pension, lump sum versus lifetime payouts. The present value of the payments equaled the lump sum if he lived to be 98, assuming 3% inflation. So, if he can beat 3% returns himself, the lump sum was going to be the winner. Maybe some pensions are worth taking, but you don't need to be some investment superstar to beat the periodic payments.

Cranbe
Dec 9, 2012

baquerd posted:

I recently helped my dad evaluate his pension, lump sum versus lifetime payouts. The present value of the payments equaled the lump sum if he lived to be 98, assuming 3% inflation. So, if he can beat 3% returns himself, the lump sum was going to be the winner. Maybe some pensions are worth taking, but you don't need to be some investment superstar to beat the periodic payments.
But if you're collecting your pension, you're at the period in your life (i.e. retirement) when you would want to limit your portfolio to especially conservative investments--i.e. investments that won't have very good returns. Also, as has been mentioned, the company that owes you the pension has (nearly) all the risk if they don't get the returns. You're still owed your money, regardless of whether they're losing or making money on the investments.

Edit: Also, you can plan extremely well based on a pension of $x/month. You can't necessarily plan what money your investments will generate (assuming you don't want to draw down more than z%/year of your total portfolio's value).

Cranbe fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 6, 2013

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cranbe posted:

But if you're collecting your pension, you're at the period in your life (i.e. retirement) when you would want to limit your portfolio to especially conservative investments--i.e. investments that won't have very good returns. Also, as has been mentioned, the company that owes you the pension has (nearly) all the risk if they don't get the returns. You're still owed your money, regardless of whether they're losing or making money on the investments.

Edit: Also, you can plan extremely well based on a pension of $x/month. You can't necessarily plan what money your investments will generate (assuming you don't want to draw down more than z%/year of your total portfolio's value).

When you go into withdrawing from your retirement, you don't switch your entire portfolio into highly conservative investments. You still use diversification to lower overall risk while maintaining decent returns, but your portfolio as a whole becomes more conservative. Look at target retirement funds - not many are all bonds and money markets.

Look, for example, at the current Vanguard target retirement fund meant to preserve income: https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/snapshot?FundId=0308&FundIntExt=INT When you then run your own diversification, you can cash out investments that are high as a form of rebalancing. 3% returns are absolute poo poo and should only be considered if you're really confused about this "finance" thing and shouldn't have agency over your nest egg any more (which does unfortunately happen to some people as they get older).

Does it have more risk? Yes, but it's not much of a risk to say that someone trying to preserve income can do better than 3%. When you have family willing to help you out to manage it or you're happy to do it yourself (retirees tend to have some spare time for hobbies like that), it's not a great decision to leave a lot of money on the table.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
How painful is it to move a Roth to another account? In looking over what I'd like to do the majority of it is with Vanguard, and the parts I'm not doing with Vanguard can easily be switched to Vanguard funds or done in a single trade or two a year. In light of that it seems like it'd make sense to move my Roth to Vanguard, but I'm a bit unclear as to what it entails from doing a quick google search.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

nessin posted:

How painful is it to move a Roth to another account? In looking over what I'd like to do the majority of it is with Vanguard, and the parts I'm not doing with Vanguard can easily be switched to Vanguard funds or done in a single trade or two a year. In light of that it seems like it'd make sense to move my Roth to Vanguard, but I'm a bit unclear as to what it entails from doing a quick google search.

I have done around 20 IRA transfers for myself and family from various custodians to Vanguard. I have never had an issue. So far, over half of my transfers were done online with zero paperwork and with zero coordination between custodians (i.e. Instructions mailed to Vanguard and a week later, it all shows up at Vanguard), and the rest required a form to be mailed to Vanguard with some coordination between custodians. How easy it is depends on the custodian, but it is always fairly straightforward. 401ks are slightly more hassle but IRA's are generally real simple.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
My mom is a teacher in her final year before retirement. She was telling me about the different options she has for retirement regarding her pension and I wanted a little more information on the option she was leaning towards if anyone knows about this stuff.

The direction she was leaning was to take a lump sum up-front payment and a lower monthly pension payment. The lump sum was around $90k, and apparently that money can be moved into non-tax sheltered accounts (I'm guessing so it's taxed later). Does anyone know what I'm talking about? My thoughts are that it could be deposited to an IRA or something, but I'm assuming there are yearly IRA contribution limits so she couldn't do anywhere near the whole $90k anyway.

Her monthly pension would be ~$2800 taking the whole $90k, somewhere around $3200/mo without taking any up-front money. They're fine with money, house is paid for, I think she just likes the idea of having the money "just in case" they need it for some reason, but I don't think she'd do it if she's going to be taxed on it (taking it as cash). Taking the whole $90k up front also removes the survivor benefits, which is ok because my Dad's retirement income is enough for him to live on by himself if it would come to that.

The other options of the plan were more catered to life-insurance/spouse death benefit type options that they don't really feel they need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damnskippy
Oct 7, 2003

ntan1 posted:

There are very few books that offer a direct counterpoint to the argument that "active mutual funds are usually a bad idea". The issue is that there's too much empirical evidence that shows that active mutual funds tend to fail, and anybody seriously thinking about investing in active funds needs to take that into account. For example, 2/3rds of active funds fail per year, and there only a handful of active funds that have beat the index after a period of 20 years.

There are a few academic studies that point to active management being able to add some value. One of the better known is Cremers and Petajisto's 2009 paper "How Active is Your Fund Manager? A New Measure That Predicts Performance." The authors start by better defining what it means to be "active." They calculate the deviation of a fund's holdings from their benchmark and use it, plus tracking error, to differentiate between classes of active management as well as relative degree of active management. My reading of the conclusions is that large swathes of active management are still probably bullshit (sector rotation, bets on systemic risk factors, etc) but that they were able to find a link between active stock pickers and value added over their respective benchmarks, especially in the small cap space. Among these active stock pickers they find that as active-ness increases, so does the performance gap.

I've personally found that most active management books out there are thinly veiled sales pitches, but if you want a book that argues for active management, the only one I can even half-way recommend is "Buy and Hold is Dead (again)" by Ken Solow. It doesn't really provide a cohesive argument, in my opinion, but some of the chapters are interesting in their own right.

Before I'm asked to defend active management extensively, I should say that I'm mostly a passive management guy. I work in an RIA firm and I predominantly use DFA funds in our portfolio construction. I just wanted to help with the passive vs active discussion in a way that would remind everyone that it isn't a totally one-sided discussion... just mostly one-sided.

Edit: The original 2009 paper mentioned above along with the 2013 updated publication, "Active Share and Mutual Fund Performance," can be found at http://www.petajisto.net/research.html

Damnskippy fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 7, 2013