Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

I saved up my hero points and bought a 3 star hero. It turned out to be Thor and he's murdering everything in sight. :getin:

I only got the 2 star Thor, but I got 1 of his every color skill, so I with enough iso I could max him. He is at level 5 and destroyed everything for a while. but iron man got to level 16ish,and became better in almost every way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I got a Wolverine X-Force which I think is "the good one" but man the game feels so slow and clunky. Wish I could give it away to someone who enjoys playing more than I do

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You cant even sync it between two devices you own. Hows that for lame?

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
I hate to bring more PAD-related chat to the thread, but...

I must have installed and tried PAD 3 times, each time finding it bloated and inaccessible. I tried Battle Camp and Puzzle Troopers, not even realizing until playing that they were clones of PAD. At any rate, they didn't hook me.

Finally, yesterday I downloaded Dragon Era (the slots-based PAD-like,) and suddenly all the mechanics clicked. I played it for awhile, redownloaded Battle Camp, and gave that another spin. Sure enough, now I'm enjoying it.

But it looks like there's like a half-dozen of these games with just slight variations. I'm hoping some people in the thread might speak to their favorites. Why Battle Camp over PAD (or PAD over Battle Camp) for instance? Are there any games like this that have kind of gone unnoticed?

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Got an interesting question - I'm looking for some specific recommendations on free iPad games for learning-disabled adults. My girlfriend recently got a job at a community center, and they have 3 iPads (I don't know what generation, but they're brand new so they're probably 4).

Unfortunately most of the games are full of ads that disrupt the game or IAP credits that limit how often they can play, so I'm wondering if you guys have a few games you can recommend where these are absent or at least not intrusive. Most of them like game-show style games (they have a Bingo game that's popular), easy card games, flash cards, cooperative games, anything educational, and any other type of game that someone without great motor skills can play (for example, Fruit Ninja takes too much accuracy for many of them).

The only one I've seen that pops into my head is Dog Is Great. Pretty much every other "free" game I've seen has horrible limitations. Does anyone have any other suggestions that they've come across?

Dragon Box isn't free, but its an educational math game if that sounds interesting (its apparently very good).

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
My mother bought an ipad a few months ago and has proceeded to play either Fairway Solitaire or Movie Poster Quiz to death. She unfortunately has no wifi internet access so the odd game I've installed over time has tended to keel over from not being able to call home every now and then.

Can anyone recommend something from the puzzling/cards ilk that doesn't require either an internet connection or fast reflexes please?

langurmonkey
Oct 29, 2011

Getting healthy by posting on the Internet

Fazana posted:

My mother bought an ipad

Can anyone recommend something from the puzzling/cards ilk that doesn't require either an internet connection or fast reflexes please?

I enjoyed Reiner Knizia's Card Buster, which is a solitaire game based on poker hands. There is another one of his called Robot Master that has nice pass and play multiplayer.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
While we're requesting suggestions, I picked up You Don't Know Jack Party last night for a get-together/drinking session and it went down a treat. What are some other phone-based multiplayer games, or multiplayer iPad games that use phones as controllers?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Get Spaceteam. Thank/curse me later.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Fazana posted:

My mother bought an ipad a few months ago and has proceeded to play either Fairway Solitaire or Movie Poster Quiz to death. She unfortunately has no wifi internet access so the odd game I've installed over time has tended to keel over from not being able to call home every now and then.

Peggle. Peggle is crack for moms.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
For those who didn't like PAD and the knockoffs; finally, there is Puzzle and Battle for Pokemon.

I'm joking, this game is awful, but I have a need to download all games like this and Final Fantasy Race before they get canned from the store.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Kaizoku posted:

For those who didn't like PAD and the knockoffs; finally, there is Puzzle and Battle for Pokemon.

I'm joking, this game is awful, but I have a need to download all games like this and Final Fantasy Race before they get canned from the store.

Why would you spend the time and effort making this thing to release it for free and then have it removed like a week or two later?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Corridor posted:

Why would you spend the time and effort making this thing to release it for free and then have it removed like a week or two later?

if it's anything like that pokemon platformer hoping kids get tricked into buying crazy $100 iap.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

What was the consensus on bloodmasque?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Kaizoku posted:

Top In-App Purchases

1. Add 10Moves *3$1.99
2. Little Coins Pack$0.99
3. Pokedex$1.99

You know that if Nintendo ever makes a mobile Pokémon game, they're going to do this...

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Kaizoku posted:

You got my hopes up to new heights and then tore them down all in the span of a single post.

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008

Minus1Minus1 posted:

I hate to bring more PAD-related chat to the thread, but...

I must have installed and tried PAD 3 times, each time finding it bloated and inaccessible. I tried Battle Camp and Puzzle Troopers, not even realizing until playing that they were clones of PAD. At any rate, they didn't hook me.

Finally, yesterday I downloaded Dragon Era (the slots-based PAD-like,) and suddenly all the mechanics clicked. I played it for awhile, redownloaded Battle Camp, and gave that another spin. Sure enough, now I'm enjoying it.

But it looks like there's like a half-dozen of these games with just slight variations. I'm hoping some people in the thread might speak to their favorites. Why Battle Camp over PAD (or PAD over Battle Camp) for instance? Are there any games like this that have kind of gone unnoticed?

PAD has IAP that is much less obnoxious. You're never prompted to buy anything, and can progress through the entire game without spending a dime (assuming you roll a good starter- check the PAD thread for a guide). The game gives you a lot of IAP currency at regular intervals, just for logging in.

Battle camp prompts you for IAP every chance it gets. The evolution mechanics are built to basically halt progress unless you buy poo poo.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Kheldarn posted:

Top In-App Purchases

1. Add 10Moves *3$1.99
2. Little Coins Pack$0.99
3. Pokedex$1.99

You know that if Nintendo ever makes a mobile Pokémon game, they're going to do this...
If anything, the Pokemon Company already released a pricey Pokedex reference app for iOS:
http://appshopper.com/reference/pokedex-for-ios

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

Anyone here play Space Bits? It's a shoot em up with a level system and randomly generated loot. It's pretty addictive. Really hard stuff though, the third boss is absolutely killing me.

harmless_fun
Sep 25, 2007
I like the Marvel Puzzle Quest, but I'm stuck in a loop after getting some of the premium currency from a level (someone else mentioned this in the app reviews). It won't let me move on until I buy a Black Widow card. I was able to get past it once by buying a 150 credit card earlier in the game, but I don't have enough premium credits to do so now.

I don't want a Black Widow card, so I guess that's the end for this game.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

harmless_fun posted:

I like the Marvel Puzzle Quest, but I'm stuck in a loop after getting some of the premium currency from a level (someone else mentioned this in the app reviews). It won't let me move on until I buy a Black Widow card. I was able to get past it once by buying a 150 credit card earlier in the game, but I don't have enough premium credits to do so now.

I don't want a Black Widow card, so I guess that's the end for this game.

There are quite a few fights each chapter that gives the 50 gold and it is a bunch of PVP rewards. So yes it is really dumb you have to buy her, but it isn't the end of the world.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

JazzFlight posted:

If anything, the Pokemon Company already released a pricey Pokedex reference app for iOS:
http://appshopper.com/reference/pokedex-for-ios

It's also a horribly bloated piece of poo poo. :( Lukomon is pretty okay, but the interface is also more things than it needs to be. It's too much things. I just want a loving pokedex that isn't awful and bloated and overly complex. drat it,.

harmless_fun
Sep 25, 2007

Shwqa posted:

There are quite a few fights each chapter that gives the 50 gold and it is a bunch of PVP rewards. So yes it is really dumb you have to buy her, but it isn't the end of the world.

I put up with a lot when it comes to freemium games. I'll sit through ads, popups, etc., but when you force me to spend currency to move on, it's over.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I did the same thing as you. The problem is that it's part of the tutorial but they start you off with the premium currency to complete it instead of gift it to you when you need to use it or block you from using the store until you buy the mandatory card.

vvv: you can definitely grind it out if you spend it before you're supposed to - which is what I did - but it's just generally poor design to let people put themselves in a position where they have to grind it out to get past a tutorial.

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 5, 2013

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

I did the same thing as you. The problem is that it's part of the tutorial but they start you off with the premium currency to complete it instead of gift it to you when you need to use it or block you from using the store until you buy the mandatory card.

I thought both of those fights have a 50 gold reward along with the 125 gifted gold. If it is the last fight of each tower, then those fights have two 50 gold rewards, so you can come back and get even more premium currency. I think they are the only fights that have 2 premium currency rewards.

Edit: oh I see the problem you guys are saying, then yes that is pretty bad design.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 5, 2013

harmless_fun
Sep 25, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

vvv: you can definitely grind it out if you spend it before you're supposed to - which is what I did - but it's just generally poor design to let people put themselves in a position where they have to grind it out to get past a tutorial.

No, see I'm way past the tutorial, so they did it at least twice. Also, with most freemiums, even if they give you the currency at the beginning and have you use it, they will repay you some or all of it as a reward for completing the tutorial. I bought one 150 card and I have 125 left over from completing levels. If I spend 50 on a card I don't want/need, I'll be at 75 and so far I haven't seen rewards above 50. It feels like they want you to always have just not enough to get the premium cards so you'll spend real money.

I understand they want to make money, really I do, but at this point, I would have rather just paid for the game outright.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

harmless_fun posted:

No, see I'm way past the tutorial, so they did it at least twice. Also, with most freemiums, even if they give you the currency at the beginning and have you use it, they will repay you some or all of it as a reward for completing the tutorial. I bought one 150 card and I have 125 left over from completing levels. If I spend 50 on a card I don't want/need, I'll be at 75 and so far I haven't seen rewards above 50. It feels like they want you to always have just not enough to get the premium cards so you'll spend real money.

I understand they want to make money, really I do, but at this point, I would have rather just paid for the game outright.

I would have to, but everyone wants the big freemium money. Except they all refuse to copy the most successful freemium PAD. just let me have one premium roll free and then set me loose. Those starter packs are bullshit I haven't used those units once unless forced too (which case you get them free that fight).

I'm still having fun and threw them a few bucks because I try to support thing that I enjoy, but I don't have any ugre to pay more. Hell even that sweet magneto I got is poo poo compared to ironman, because I can't level him.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Are there any games on iOS that are like World of Tanks, Navy Field, or Star Conflict etc where a game with MMO-like progression is structured around brief online matches? I wouldn't care how simple the premise is.

I picked up Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition for $5 last night and it's still on sale. The touch controls are kinda bad but it hardly matters, you pause the game to issue orders anyway. Has the same feel as FF:Tactics for me with lots of numbers to pore over, dual-classes and a million spells and stuff. I ran into one show-stopper of a bug early on but nothing since.

MustacheNet
Dec 26, 2011

Breach and Clear is IGN's free game of the month for October: http://www.ign.com/prime/promo/bc-free

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

MustacheNet posted:

Breach and Clear is IGN's free game of the month for October: http://www.ign.com/prime/promo/bc-free

Thanks I was actually tempted to buy this today.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
Please don't let Tiny Death Star be the death of Pocket Trains. Don't let the tiny Death Star blow up the Tiny Pocket Train planet, Leia.

Also if you don't include everything in Patton Oswalt's rant on Parks and Rec I will make sure my red tag is even angrier and brighter.

Necroneocon fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Oct 6, 2013

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies

ImsaKidd posted:

PAD has IAP that is much less obnoxious. You're never prompted to buy anything, and can progress through the entire game without spending a dime (assuming you roll a good starter- check the PAD thread for a guide). The game gives you a lot of IAP currency at regular intervals, just for logging in.

Battle camp prompts you for IAP every chance it gets. The evolution mechanics are built to basically halt progress unless you buy poo poo.

I'm noticing it.

Battle Camp's art style really didn't do it for me at first, but I've come to find it really charming. Since the games seemed virtually identical, I figured I'd stick with BC. It isn't that it's been too stingy with anything, really - I get it's a grindy experience- but the IAP push is obnoxious, and I just saw what it will take to evolve my little dude, prompting me to consider how much of my finite time on earth I actually want to dedicate to such a pursuit.

Video games shouldn't bring on this kind of crisis.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I'm not a huge fan of how Breach and Clear feels on a small iPhone 5 screen.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
So, Empire: The Deck Building Strategy Game just came out today. Absurdly generic title aside, it's a pretty neat little game with some unique mechanics. The core is a simple 4X strategy/survival game. The land is dying because that's what fantasy lands do, and you have to defend yourself against monster nests which pop-up in areas of desolation. You can send your army to clear out nests and earn victory points for your empire, but sooner or later you'll be overwhelmed. Even your cities eventually become worthless, and you're forced to abandon them and settle elsewhere. There aren't any enemy empires to fight and the only victory condition is to survive for as long as you can and earn as many victory points as possible before being overrun.

The twist comes with the tactical battles. Your army is made up of up to 6 units drawn from three types (cavalry, warriors, and archers). Your units normally just move forward one space each turn, attacking enemy units around them in a pattern that's specific to each unit type. To get them to do anything special, you need to play cards from a deck that you build up throughout the game. Cards let you reposition your units, cast spells that damage or paralyze your enemies, or do other things which are generally incredibly useful. You get to choose one new card for your deck after each successful battle (with a particular city improvement increasing the variety you have to choose from), and over time gain strife cards which clog up your deck and generally make a nuisance of themselves.

I've put maybe two hours into the game I'm really enjoying it. I'm not sure how deep it is, and the lack of difficulty settings or world generation options is pretty disappointing, but it takes a mish-mash mechanics and combines them into something pretty special. It's also playable in very short bursts, which is pretty nice. My longest game so far has only lasted for about 45 minutes. It's only $3, so I'd say it's worth picking up just for how unique it is. If the developer actually follows through with his plans to expand it, then I think this is going to end up being pretty great.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Minus1Minus1 posted:

I'm noticing it.

Battle Camp's art style really didn't do it for me at first, but I've come to find it really charming. Since the games seemed virtually identical, I figured I'd stick with BC. It isn't that it's been too stingy with anything, really - I get it's a grindy experience- but the IAP push is obnoxious, and I just saw what it will take to evolve my little dude, prompting me to consider how much of my finite time on earth I actually want to dedicate to such a pursuit.

Video games shouldn't bring on this kind of crisis.

I think the major advantage to PAD is that evolving dude never requires a copy of the monster. Once you got a good monster, that is it. You just need to hunt for the evo material, which can be annoying in the sense you have to run a easy dungeon for a day but that is it.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

So, Empire: The Deck Building Strategy Game just came out today. Absurdly generic title aside, it's a pretty neat little game with some unique mechanics. The core is a simple 4X strategy/survival game. The land is dying because that's what fantasy lands do, and you have to defend yourself against monster nests which pop-up in areas of desolation. You can send your army to clear out nests and earn victory points for your empire, but sooner or later you'll be overwhelmed. Even your cities eventually become worthless, and you're forced to abandon them and settle elsewhere. There aren't any enemy empires to fight and the only victory condition is to survive for as long as you can and earn as many victory points as possible before being overrun.

The twist comes with the tactical battles. Your army is made up of up to 6 units drawn from three types (cavalry, warriors, and archers). Your units normally just move forward one space each turn, attacking enemy units around them in a pattern that's specific to each unit type. To get them to do anything special, you need to play cards from a deck that you build up throughout the game. Cards let you reposition your units, cast spells that damage or paralyze your enemies, or do other things which are generally incredibly useful. You get to choose one new card for your deck after each successful battle (with a particular city improvement increasing the variety you have to choose from), and over time gain strife cards which clog up your deck and generally make a nuisance of themselves.

I've put maybe two hours into the game I'm really enjoying it. I'm not sure how deep it is, and the lack of difficulty settings or world generation options is pretty disappointing, but it takes a mish-mash mechanics and combines them into something pretty special. It's also playable in very short bursts, which is pretty nice. My longest game so far has only lasted for about 45 minutes. It's only $3, so I'd say it's worth picking up just for how unique it is. If the developer actually follows through with his plans to expand it, then I think this is going to end up being pretty great.

Worth pointing out that this comes from Keith Burgun and whoops I said his name so he should appear.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Necroneocon posted:

Also if you don't include everything in Patton Oswalt's rant on Parks and Rec I will make sure my red tag is even angrier and brighter.

This should be an Easter Egg. Get the thing, do the other thing, then go into whatever mode and some little 8bit dude just starts spouting and spouting and spouting.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

The description is kind of sparse on important details, like whether there is diplomacy, civ management, etc. what is the rest of the game like beyond the combat system?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Stumpus posted:

The description is kind of sparse on important details, like whether there is diplomacy, civ management, etc. what is the rest of the game like beyond the combat system?

Dare I say this sounds a little Mage Knight inspired :catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
I have about 16 hours of plane ride to amuse myself; currently I have IB3 and FFT to play through, and Ticket to Ride as a two player game. Anything else that can be recommended which does not require a network connection to start playing? I'm not sure if we will have wifi on the flight.

• Locked thread