Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
Awesome, thanks for that source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

Is there a way in Windows 7, when running iTunes, if you do the "Album" view on your music, it shortens the titles of songs with long names to "An Ancient Sign of Coming S..." rather than showing the complete title. In almost every Windows-based program, there would be an option to toggle the size of that field.

Is that possible in iTunes on Win7?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there any reason I would be unable to change the status of my laptop's wireless adapter other than that it's fried? I have an Asus Eee 1215n, and the hotkey makes the OSD show the wifi off or on, but the icon in my tray always has a red X over it.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

hooah posted:

Is there any reason I would be unable to change the status of my laptop's wireless adapter other than that it's fried? I have an Asus Eee 1215n, and the hotkey makes the OSD show the wifi off or on, but the icon in my tray always has a red X over it.
Drivers?

Does it show in devicemanager? (right click "computer", manage, device manager)
Does it show as inactivated or with an exclamation mark or anything like that?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

underlig posted:

Drivers?

Does it show in devicemanager? (right click "computer", manage, device manager)
Does it show as inactivated or with an exclamation mark or anything like that?

It shows up without any problems indicated.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Does anyone know for sure if you can download a Windows 7 SP1 ISO and use a non-SP1 key with it? The Microsoft page says you can't do the opposite (use an SP1 key with an old non-SP1 disc) but it's not explicit about someone using a newer copy with an old key. I don't want to tell someone to go redownload and reinstall on a hunch

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

baka kaba posted:

Does anyone know for sure if you can download a Windows 7 SP1 ISO and use a non-SP1 key with it? The Microsoft page says you can't do the opposite (use an SP1 key with an old non-SP1 disc) but it's not explicit about someone using a newer copy with an old key. I don't want to tell someone to go redownload and reinstall on a hunch

Caveat emptor, during installation they can try the key and if it doesn't auth, they can install without the key and then activate from inside Windows. Worse case scenario calling the activation line and talking to the robot with the magic answer of "one".

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Due to an installation blunder some years back I have a separate, non-booting windows 7 install on a drive I'm currently just using for storage and I was wondering if there was some way to reclaim the ~20 GB without wiping the partition. I tried claiming ownership of the windows folder but actually trying to delete it enumerates the files, bitches about needing admin access then enumerates the files again and dies saying I need permission from my own account. Deleting via command prompt running with System privileges doesn't seem to work.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Sep 30, 2013

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I'm sure there's a proper way to do it, but you can probably circumvent the whole permissions crap by booting into some live dvd variant of Linux from an usb stick.

The process of making one is painless if you use something like Unetbootin and pick a safe, not overly complicated distro like Ubuntu, that supports a wide range of hardware out of the box.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

dis astranagant posted:

Due to an installation blunder some years back I have a separate, non-booting windows 7 install on a drive I'm currently just using for storage and I was wondering if there was some way to reclaim the ~20 GB without wiping the partition. I tried claiming ownership of the windows folder but actually trying to delete it enumerates the files, bitches about needing admin access then enumerates the files again and dies saying I need permission from my own account. Deleting via command prompt running with System privileges doesn't seem to work.

Why don't you want to wipe the partition clean? Really the easiest way to reclaim the space is just do that...

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I'm looking for a program that can help me with backing up my files onto my external, specifically to help me in comparing two directories to help tell me whats different between them so I know what to backup. For example it would highlight new files that aren't present in the external drive, and also be able to highlight newer files that have changed since, etc.

Is there anything even like this that can be vouched for? I should also mention that I want to do this all manually, and that I just need something that can help me out. I don't want to trust something like this to do it all automatically unmanned, in case something dreaded happens like old files ends up overwriting new files and not the other way around. Also needs to be free.

Fake Edit: Googled around and found a bunch that do what I'm looking for supposedly, but still looking for recommendations.
http://freefilesync.sourceforge.net/index.php
http://titan.fsb.hr/~dzorc/zback.html
http://tp.lc.ehu.es/jma/win32/dirco.html

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 30, 2013

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Im_Special posted:

I'm looking for a program that can help me with backing up my files onto my external, specifically to help me in comparing two directories to help tell me whats different between them so I know what to backup. For example it would highlight new files that aren't present in the external drive, and also be able to highlight newer files that have changed since, etc.

Is there anything even like this that can be vouched for? I should also mention that I want to do this all manually, and that I just need something that can help me out. I don't want to trust something like this to do it all automatically unmanned, in case something dreaded happens like old files ends up overwriting new files and not the other way around. Also needs to be free.

Fake Edit: Googled around and found a bunch that do what I'm looking for supposedly, but still looking for recommendations.

You want Synctoy from Microsoft.

There are three options to sync - You can have left and right sync to each other so if a file is deleted from either, it deletes it from the other, or you can set it up so the second drive is a "destination" drive and everything you do to the first drive is echoed on the right (this is how I back up my data drives). The other option is pretty much the same, but doesn't echo deletes.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

WorkingStiff posted:

Caveat emptor, during installation they can try the key and if it doesn't auth, they can install without the key and then activate from inside Windows. Worse case scenario calling the activation line and talking to the robot with the magic answer of "one".

Yeah it's actually installed (replacement hard drive on a HP netbook), it's just giving a 'not valid' popup. I'm trying to find out if that's actually a 'not activated' popup, which would make more sense, but I guess it's worth trying to activate and if it doesn't work it's back to the ISOs. Thanks!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Im_Special posted:

Is there anything even like this that can be vouched for?
SyncBack Free is what works for me. I've used Microsoft's Synctoy, but it's too simplistic and sometimes I had to re-make a job because it stopped working for some random reason. Which then also forced a new complete sync (ie. all files had to be copied again).

With SyncBack you can go deep into configuration if you want, but the simple mode works just as well.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Im_Special posted:

I'm using Free File Sync to manually sync between two network drives at home, and have it set up at work to sync automatically from my laptop to a network drive. It covers all my needs without being overly complicated.
The manual sync is usually done in two steps: Compare and Synchronize, and when hitting Compare, you get a decent overview of what it plans to do in the Sync step, without forcing you to execute it.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
First thing I tried when I got home was FreeFileSync and now I don't think I need to be looking for anything else, it covers every one of my needs and does everything so well and it's really very simple and user friendly. It's even portable and open source! You just tell it what directories you want to compare and it will give you a nice side by side list comparison of all the files and from there you can just copy what you want over.

If anyone is also looking for a similar program as I was, I highly recommend giving FreeFileSync a try.

Gnomedolf
Jun 9, 2013

Freelance Gynecologist
Using 8.1 and playing around with full screen stuff. I've found an annoying thing when using Chrome in full screen mode. If I'm streaming something and I switch to the desktop or anything else, it stops the playback. Is there a way to change this? Chrome is set to run in the background, but that seems to only work with desktop mode.

Edit: By full screen mode I mean Windows 8 mode.

Gnomedolf fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 1, 2013

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
I'm looking for a desktop podcatcher that will automatically fix the ID3 tags of downloaded podcasts using the data in the feed, so that when I upload the files to Google Music, I don't have to manually fix titles like "HDTGM 47 EDIT 02"

Any suggestions?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I don't know whether or not this is the right thread for this, but it's worth asking.

My parents have their own business and manage their own webpage. I never really got into webpage authoring so I'm not super knowledgable, but they're looking for decent web authoring software. Something that'll import/download their current page from online then allow them to go in and make changes. They're not super techie but they can navigate a PC just fine. What's some good lower-difficulty software that could work for that purpose?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

khy posted:

I don't know whether or not this is the right thread for this, but it's worth asking.

My parents have their own business and manage their own webpage. I never really got into webpage authoring so I'm not super knowledgable, but they're looking for decent web authoring software. Something that'll import/download their current page from online then allow them to go in and make changes. They're not super techie but they can navigate a PC just fine. What's some good lower-difficulty software that could work for that purpose?

They should consider redesigning their webpage to use a content management system like WordPress. WordPress has a built in editor and it's super easy to add new content or edit existing content. It's also one of the most popular blog/CMS packages in the world so they can pick up a 'WordPress for Dummies' book or any number of online resources.

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 3, 2013

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Canuckistan posted:

They should consider redesigning their webpage to use a content management system like WordPress. WordPress has a built in editor and it's super easy to add new content or edit existing content. It's also one of the most popular blog/CMS packages in the world so they can pick up a 'WordPress for Dummies' book or any number of online resources.

Just note that Wordpress seems to have a bit of a gaping anus when it comes to security, so it needs to be patched fast and often. This may be mostly around plugins, but it seems like I see Wordpress pop up a lot in regards to vulnerabilities.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Is there a tool that will quickly let me switch between several default gateways?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Just note that Wordpress seems to have a bit of a gaping anus when it comes to security, so it needs to be patched fast and often. This may be mostly around plugins, but it seems like I see Wordpress pop up a lot in regards to vulnerabilities.

True dat. Using the 'Better WP Security' plugin and following all the suggestions is strongly encouraged.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

fivre posted:

Is there a tool that will quickly let me switch between several default gateways?

Windows can do this? Unless you meant a tool to do it easier.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

IT Guy posted:

Windows can do this? Unless you meant a tool to do it easier.

Yeah, I run tests through several different firewalls, and I'm trying to find something like a notification area icon. Currently I'm going with a bunch of batch scripts scattered all over my desktop.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

fivre posted:

Yeah, I run tests through several different firewalls, and I'm trying to find something like a notification area icon. Currently I'm going with a bunch of batch scripts scattered all over my desktop.

Just did a google search for 'windows network profile switcher' and this came up. Sounds like what you're looking for.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/argonswitcher/

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Not sure if this is the right thread but here it goes.

I had Microsoft Office 2010 installed on a hard drive that just died. Drive G:

I just tired to install office 2010 on the drive that still works. Drive C:

But I get the following error "The /adminfile command-line option can be used only during initial
installation of the product."

Seems like windows still thinks I have office installed, even though the G: drive is gone. And when I try to use the windows Add or Remove program tool i get errors telling me "no disk".

How do I get windows on drive C: to realize that G: is gone and that it took office with it?

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

th3t00t posted:

How do I get windows on drive C: to realize that G: is gone and that it took office with it?

What media are you using to reinstall from? Have you tried running a repair?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Any idea why LogonUI.exe would be exercising my CPU all stupid day long when the computer is locked?

Windows 7 64-bit, all patched up to latest, with no tasks running on the machine.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but is there any way to tell what a Microsoft key code is for? I found an empty CD sleeve a while back with a key code that's definitely Microsoft, but I have no idea what it's for.

Ideally I'd like it to be an XP key code as I'm getting ready to install XP on an old laptop and need to rustle up a key, but with XP's bizarre key rules theres really no way for me to know if it's a legit key until I do half the work.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What's the best password manager suite for Windows, iOS and Android that syncs with Dropbox? I've been using 1Password for three years, but between them forcing me to shell out $15 to keep Dropbox sync on iOS and the Android port that's been vaporware for years I'm fed up.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Medullah posted:

I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but is there any way to tell what a Microsoft key code is for? I found an empty CD sleeve a while back with a key code that's definitely Microsoft, but I have no idea what it's for.

Ideally I'd like it to be an XP key code as I'm getting ready to install XP on an old laptop and need to rustle up a key, but with XP's bizarre key rules theres really no way for me to know if it's a legit key until I do half the work.

You could google the key and see if anything pops up.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Fallom posted:

What's the best password manager suite for Windows, iOS and Android that syncs with Dropbox? I've been using 1Password for three years, but between them forcing me to shell out $15 to keep Dropbox sync on iOS and the Android port that's been vaporware for years I'm fed up.

I don't now about iOS, but I've been using KeePass 2 and the Android app for at least a year now, and don't have any problems with it. It's a little awkward to use from my phone, since if I change a password from my computer (don't think you via phone), I have to make sure I open the database from Dropbox on my phone so that the app knows there's a new version. Otherwise, it works pretty well.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

hooah posted:

I don't now about iOS, but I've been using KeePass 2 and the Android app for at least a year now, and don't have any problems with it. It's a little awkward to use from my phone, since if I change a password from my computer (don't think you via phone), I have to make sure I open the database from Dropbox on my phone so that the app knows there's a new version. Otherwise, it works pretty well.

Works the same on iPhone. I rarely use the iPhone app, so it isn't a big deal for me.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a place to download the free version of MalwareBytes without giving an email or using a stupid download accelerator/whatever?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

hooah posted:

Is there a place to download the free version of MalwareBytes without giving an email or using a stupid download accelerator/whatever?

http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/ maybe here?

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

hooah posted:

You can get it from Ninite too.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Google PatchMyPC - a simplistic program that you can use to auto download a bunch of free programs. Also auto installs them too silently.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there anything like PatchMyPC or Ninite that lets me choose where each program goes, but automates the rest (maybe PMPC does this; I'd never heard of it before)? That's my one gripe with that type of program - my SSD isn't big enough to throw all the little random programs onto it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

No, PMPC just installs to the default folders, but none of the programs are big. I use it with my 256 gig ssd.