Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Flame112 posted:

You get a larger demesne with gavelkind as opposed to primogeniture. I'm assuming it's better than elective, too.

Personally, I'll settle for having a smaller demesne and tens of thousands of vassal levies over having a larger personal levy and very few vassals.
I get that you can always war back the lands you've 'lost', but I'd rather spend that time taking someone else's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Flame112 posted:

You get a larger demesne with gavelkind as opposed to primogeniture. I'm assuming it's better than elective, too.

Elective is by far the best succession system in most cases. Your vassals love you for being elective, you can choose one of your sons/nephews/brothers etc. with good stats and traits, making the actual succession much easier because your heir will be rather well liked as the new ruler as well, and if you have no suitable males you can even nominate a suitable female.

Elective does not work if you play a big empire and want to hold all the kingdom titles, because you will get huge opinion penalties for holding too many elector titles. And if you lose the election, then somebody else will be your new liege. But accidents with your succession can happen with every system, your two sons dying in battle, leaving your regularly married daughter with two sons as your heir...

If you are especially powergaming, and have every duke-level vassal being of your dynasty, you basically cannot lose your title because your heir will always be someone of your family, who you get to play after your characters death. It is foolproof.

And elective also prevents factions to institute elective monarchy from forming, whose revolt during a succession crisis once cost me the Byzantine Empire.

There is basically no point in which elective succession is not better than gavelkind if you can manage your vassals, except if you really need the higher demesne limit.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I prefer tanistry from what i've seen of it. Whoever gets elected will always be of your dynasty, so all you have to do is spread your dynasty far and wide and you'll probably inherit places accidentally too.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Yes, Tanistry is better but not everyone can get it.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Piell posted:

Yes, Tanistry is better but not everyone can get it.

Restricted to the Celtic culture group or just Ireland?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

dogstile posted:

I prefer tanistry from what i've seen of it. Whoever gets elected will always be of your dynasty, so all you have to do is spread your dynasty far and wide and you'll probably inherit places accidentally too.

Tanistry is not bad, but of course only available to the Irish, while elective is open to everybody, except Muslims and Republics of course. And I had no luck to inherit anything outside my realm, just as with elective, the electors really hate to vote for a landed character outside their own realm. Also, you have much less control over the succession with tanistry. If your vassals hava a reasonable good opinion of you, and your nominee is not lovely, they tend to follow your suggestion. But I could basically never convince the tanists to vote for my sons after a few generations. They really really like to vote for rather distant family members, and they prefer older dudes. Which usually lead to short reigns. Your title is probably more secure from passing to someone outside your family, but you will have trouble holding your realm together because of the short reigns and the fact that your heirs tend to be a representation of the usual AI ruler, ie. terrible.

Have you ever tried tanistry for a longer game?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Torrannor posted:

Tanistry is not bad, but of course only available to the Irish, while elective is open to everybody, except Muslims and Republics of course. And I had no luck to inherit anything outside my realm, just as with elective, the electors really hate to vote for a landed character outside their own realm. Also, you have much less control over the succession with tanistry. If your vassals hava a reasonable good opinion of you, and your nominee is not lovely, they tend to follow your suggestion. But I could basically never convince the tanists to vote for my sons after a few generations. They really really like to vote for rather distant family members, and they prefer older dudes. Which usually lead to short reigns. Your title is probably more secure from passing to someone outside your family, but you will have trouble holding your realm together because of the short reigns and the fact that your heirs tend to be a representation of the usual AI ruler, ie. terrible.

That's what knives are for!

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
I don't really mind gavelkind, though I do switch if I get the chance. It makes the early game a little more difficult, what with scheming brothers being dickheads and all.

Edit: Recently in a Byzantine game where I've managed to claw my way to the throne, my younger brother has been hell bent on stabbing my second son. Not my heir, my second son. He finally managed to do it and before I decided to lock him up, he went after the third son. No problem with my heir, I guess he just hated his younger nephews?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Tom Smykowski posted:

I don't really mind gavelkind, though I do switch if I get the chance. It makes the early game a little more difficult, what with scheming brothers being dickheads and all.

Edit: Recently in a Byzantine game where I've managed to claw my way to the throne, my younger brother has been hell bent on stabbing my second son. Not my heir, my second son. He finally managed to do it and before I decided to lock him up, he went after the third son. No problem with my heir, I guess he just hated his younger nephews?

From a roleplaying persective this seems to make sense, stabbing the younger brothers puts him higher in the line of succession and will give him a stronger claim on the Empire when you kick the bucket, and he might have a better chance of ruling if he wins the crown by force in a civil war with your son who could be framed for the murder of his brothers, which looks better than coming to power after the sudden and mysterious deaths of all three of his nephews.

That said, I don't suppose your second and third sons were born after you took the throne with your elder son being born before that? Remember that in the Byzantine empire, children born to a reigning Emperor/Empress are placed above children born before the Emperor took the thone in the imperial succession.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Elective is by far the best succession system in most cases. Your vassals love you for being elective

Vassals and dynasty members will love you if you're running Gavelkind. On the other hand, you'll have to deal with relatively powerful brother vassals with the "title claimant" malus every generation - assuming you keep one top-level title so the realm doesn't split on the ruler's death.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Reveilled posted:

From a roleplaying persective this seems to make sense, stabbing the younger brothers puts him higher in the line of succession and will give him a stronger claim on the Empire when you kick the bucket, and he might have a better chance of ruling if he wins the crown by force in a civil war with your son who could be framed for the murder of his brothers, which looks better than coming to power after the sudden and mysterious deaths of all three of his nephews.

That said, I don't suppose your second and third sons were born after you took the throne with your elder son being born before that? Remember that in the Byzantine empire, children born to a reigning Emperor/Empress are placed above children born before the Emperor took the thone in the imperial succession.
Nah, all born in the purple.

It worked out in the end, I guess. Fewer son's made the gavelkind situation easier. The brother died in the dungeons (last living title claimant) and my heir is tutoring his, so they'll have that relationship bonus. Now I just need to free up some land for my third son.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Flython posted:

Celtic I think. That's what my research on it before I switched to it in game said.

Torrannor posted:

I've tried it for a longer game, I just stabbed Tanists that I didn't like. I got a few crappy rulers but nothing a good wife couldn't handle. The biggest thing was that they all sucked in combat, which is ok as I stopped sending my king out to lead because he kept dying, even with a combat skill of loving 20.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Flython posted:

Celtic. The Welsh also get it.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Is there a way to quickly sort what vassals have more claims than others? Like, say one guy has 4 duchies but you can't remember who he is.

Some rear end in a top hat usurped a bunch of stuff all over the place so I can't just look for a cluster of jerks.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Synnr posted:

Is there a way to quickly sort what vassals have more claims than others? Like, say one guy has 4 duchies but you can't remember who he is.

Some rear end in a top hat usurped a bunch of stuff all over the place so I can't just look for a cluster of jerks.

Use the Direct Vassals map option. Or go to the ledger and flip through the tabs, there should be one that shows how much poo poo your vassals own.

Edit: That's just for how many they own, I don't think there's anyway to tell how many claims they have other than checking each vassal.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Oh that is pretty much what I needed! Yeah I meant what they owned, claims I can deal with on a case-by-case basis.

Mr. Owns-Five-Duchies keeps trying to break off, gonna need to do a little stabbing when I figure out how to break up his lands.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'm one county away from being able to create the Empire of Britannia. I'm running Elective at the moment and am pretty happy with the idea of giving the Kingdom of Scotland to a vassal - it takes it off my hand and isn't as big a threat as, say, England would be. That said, am I better off keeping the Kingdom of England for now, or should I look to destroy the title once my ruler is old, so that I don't run into the 'Too Many Elector Titles Held' problem?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
If I want to use my council members to expand tech spread do I want them in my capital or in a county that I want tech to spread to?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If I want to use my council members to expand tech spread do I want them in my capital or in a county that I want tech to spread to?

The county you want to spread tech to.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
My Norse game just went really ice cold. I created Jarl Ulfric of Jorvik, whose prepared invasion of Northumbria and conquest of Skotland (dethroning Ivar the Boneless) made him a powerful and well-loved king. He raised an amazing son, Erik, who was strong and brave and kind and just, and who joined the Varangian Guard to bring honour to his father's name. There were other sons, too, but they were raised as soldiers, not rulers, with the intent that Erik should inherit the throne of Skotland.

Erik comes back from the Varangians as a maimed blind eunuch, just months before his father Ulfric is murdered on the orders of the Duke of Wessex. Erik inherits Skotland, but his brother Kjartan, the marshal of the realm, is the one who inherits their father's historical demesne of Jorvik. Blind King Erik is incensed and immediately moves to revoke the jarldom of Jorvik, but his brother raises his levies and goes to war. At the same time, nearly every single count in Skotland (which stretches as far south as Bedford) start an inheritance war, wanting to put Ivar's son Sigtrygg on the throne. King Erik only has his demesne, Galloway, and his stalwart retinues who are currently sieging the castle of Jorvik.

A bloody war ensues, with the rebelling Scottish counts occupying King Erik's northern territories. Erik's retinues managed to conquer Jorvik and imprison his brother, but he was losing the war in the north, and didn't have the manpower to stand up to the rebels.

Instead, he banished his brother Kjartan and seized all his titles, including the entire Jarldom of Jorvik, then imprisoned Sigtrygg Ivarsson - who was at court in Jorvik - and had him executed. The northern counts laid down their arms, but between the banishment, imprisonment and execution, all of them absolutely hated Erik's guts, and the throne of Skotland had a long list of claimants. Factions started springing up, a couple of new ones each month, but Blind King Erik could neither fight all these wars nor win over his vassals. Instead, he kept an iron hold on Skotland by immediately imprisoning every claimant that the factions managed to find. As soon as they delivered an ultimatum, he had the claimant executed. He went through Ivar the Boneless's entire family, various Scottish lords, both of his brothers, both of his sisters, various nieces and nephews and anyone else who stood in the way.

He now has a -450 tyranny penalty with every single one of his vassals, but since nobody can find a claimant that isn't within Erik's power to imprison and execute (or, in a pinch, have assassinated), there is no cause for war. Only Blind King Erik the cruel, ruling Skotland with an iron fist, making public executions of all who threaten his grip on the throne. Soon he will be dead, and his son Botulfr will inherit a quieter realm, but Erik's reign of terror shall be passed down in Skottish history for centuries to come.

I wish this game had a kill count, because I swear I've executed like 30 of these fuckers

update: Blind Eunuch King Erik was challenged to holmgang by his steward and slain in honourable combat

Boing fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 4, 2013

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's loving bad rear end though I have to say.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Holy poo poo, dude. This could be one hell of an awesome Nordic saga!

Dwarf
Oct 21, 2010
Is there a way for me to edit my save file or my game files to make it so that Republics can have medium crown authority? I've tried via allow_laws, but it doesn't work.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Dwarf posted:

Is there a way for me to edit my save file or my game files to make it so that Republics can have medium crown authority? I've tried via allow_laws, but it doesn't work.

decisions/crown_laws.txt.

Remove the "is_republic = no" line from centralization_2. If you want to allow them a higher authority, remove it from _3 and _4 as well.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
What does the Better Armies sub-mod in the CK2+ continuation do? It doesn't seem to be mentioned in the OP of the CK2+ thread or the readme.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Rincewind posted:

What does the Better Armies sub-mod in the CK2+ continuation do? It doesn't seem to be mentioned in the OP of the CK2+ thread or the readme.

Changes how buildings work, you basically get to chose between tax or troops in different ratios. There should be a full list somewhere

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Sistergodiva posted:

Changes how buildings work, you basically get to chose between tax or troops in different ratios. There should be a full list somewhere

It also makes your building list annoyingly cluttered, and that alone makes me not use it.

Dwarf
Oct 21, 2010

SeaTard posted:

decisions/crown_laws.txt.

Remove the "is_republic = no" line from centralization_2. If you want to allow them a higher authority, remove it from _3 and _4 as well.

Did that, didn't change anything. Tried a few other configurations, didn't change anything either.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Is there a method to just let the game autoplay itself? I kind of want to see how stupid it gets if I turn on "Marry_anyone" and whatever else I can find that affects something other than the player.

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Just type in 'observe' in the debug menu.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Is there a way to petition a leige for a title or something? I kinda wanna specific dukedom and the dude just rose up in rebellion...

I'm guessing no :(

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

PrinceRandom posted:

Is there a way to petition a leige for a title or something? I kinda wanna specific dukedom and the dude just rose up in rebellion...

I'm guessing no :(

Yes and no. Not like what you're asking, but there are a couple ways to try to get your liege to give you titles.

If your liege is a king or emperor, holds a duke-level title you have a claim or a de jure claim to, and likes you (opinion 25+), you can petition to be granted a title in the Intrigue screen (same place as holy men, feasts, etc.) Bear in mind that this will just annoy your liege if it fails, and it's a once-per-ruler-lifetime thing.

Alternately, if you have a claim or a de jure claim on a title and the holder is either your liege or the liege's direct vassal, your liege will give you that title if they want to suck up to you for some reason. For example, if you're strong and your liege likes you and you're in a faction. This can backfire: if there's someone stronger or someone your liege likes better, they can also just take your stuff away and give it to someone else.

It's more reliable to forge claims (either with plots or a diplomat) and just usurp titles, in my experience. In the case of the rebelling duke, you do know you can declare war on him (as long as you have a casus belli) yourself, regardless of crown laws, because he's now considered a separate nation, right? In fact, even if the rebellion ends, your war will continue, since crown laws only prevent declaring wars, not prosecuting existing ones.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Is there a way to mod away the penalty for holding a temple as the Fylkyr?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
How exactly does someone take the title of Fylkyr away. Say the ruler of Denmark is the Fylkyr, how would the ruler of Norway sieze that title or is it now a dynastic thing?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

YouTuber posted:

How exactly does someone take the title of Fylkyr away. Say the ruler of Denmark is the Fylkyr, how would the ruler of Norway sieze that title or is it now a dynastic thing?

It's exactly like the Caliphates. You can't usurp or revoke it. You have to take away all of the Fylkyr's holdings and vassals, then recreate the vacant title. Alternately, you can arrange for you or your heir to inherit it. It's a huge pain either way.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 5, 2013

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Cease to Hope posted:

It's more reliable to forge claims (either with plots or a diplomat) and just usurp titles, in my experience. In the case of the rebelling duke, you do know you can declare war on him (as long as you have a casus belli) yourself, regardless of crown laws, because he's now considered a separate nation, right? In fact, even if the rebellion ends, your war will continue, since crown laws only prevent declaring wars, not prosecuting existing ones.

THANK you for reminding me about this. I started my first game as a Vassal in Spain and eventually pretty much all of Spain was part of Mega Leon. I remember I got like, half the land in the kingdom despite High or Max crown authority, and this was exactly how it happened.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I now control three out of five Norse holy sites! Any advice for getting up to 50% moral authority?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Cease to Hope posted:

I didn't. That's very helpful, thanks!

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Is there somewhere I can change it so you can force convert people to Hellenic? Its an organised religion but the decision says it is not...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Rincewind posted:

I now control three out of five Norse holy sites! Any advice for getting up to 50% moral authority?

Raid bishoprics and see if you can get the other two sites.

Antinumeric posted:

Is there somewhere I can change it so you can force convert people to Hellenic? Its an organised religion but the decision says it is not...

Hellenism has most of the disadvantages of pagan religions, including an inability to force conversion. It's a religion that will die out by design, even if it somehow appears in a game.

• Locked thread