Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

The G gundam dub is great, do not be ashamed

I'm pretty sure every full-length gundam show other than zeta has been dubbed by Ocean, which is canadian. Off the top of my head Zeta, 0080 and 8th MS team are the only ones I can say for sure weren't, and 0080 and MS team are both mini-series. Zeta wasn't ocean but it was still Canadian.

If I remember, the OVAs and F91 were done by Americans, and Zeta was done while most of the Ocean Group were on strike.

EDIT: New page.

Kuroyama fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

The G gundam dub is great, do not be ashamed

I'm pretty sure every full-length gundam show other than zeta has been dubbed by Ocean, which is canadian. Off the top of my head Zeta, 0080 and 8th MS team are the only ones I can say for sure weren't, and 0080 and MS team are both mini-series. Zeta wasn't ocean but it was still canadian.

That explains why Amuro and Char have different voices in it vs. MSG\CCA, but still say "I'm sorey aboat this, but I need to hurry oatside."

Speaking about different voices, anybody else here have the old VHS dub of the movie trilogy? They took the dub off DVD releases, it seems. Bright is British, Char is Steve Blum, and they pronounce it "Gundamn". I dunno when that dub came out, but I think it's really old and predates Gundam Wing airing on Toonami. I got the move trilogy and 0080 on VHS at about that time.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Gammatron 64 posted:

I think most Gundam shows were dubbed by Canadian studios - IIRC most anime dubbing is done in Vancouver. In the dub of Zeta Gundam, most people have noticeable accents.

I think when G Gundam was dubbed, they were really trying to tone down a lot of stuff in Gundam. Remember, a lot of Deathscythe Hell kits got pulled from Wal-Mart because it had "Hell" in the name. The God Gundam became the "Burning Gundam", the Devil Gundam became the "Dark Gundam", and so on. Bandai was really scared to offend anybody... and G Gundam is probably the most offensive Gundam series ever made. Since it's basically a show of culturally insensitive stereotypes, they must have thought "we better not give characters accents so we can tone it down a bit!"

Neo Africa is a literal spear chucker gundam. Like, what the gently caress japan.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

That explains why Amuro and Char have different voices in it vs. MSG\CCA, but still say "I'm sorey aboat this, but I need to hurry oatside."

Speaking about different voices, anybody else here have the old VHS dub of the movie trilogy? They took the dub off DVD releases, it seems. Bright is British, Char is Steve Blum, and they pronounce it "Gundamn". I dunno when that dub came out, but I think it's really old and predates Gundam Wing airing on Toonami. I got the move trilogy and 0080 on VHS at about that time.

I think the dub was still on the first DVD movie though not the second or third.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

KoB posted:

Neo Africa is a literal spear chucker gundam. Like, what the gently caress japan.

Thats Neo-Kenya. Whos the real racist now?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Is it bad that this guy is my favorite character in AGE?

Like, whenever I'm feeling sad I just need to look at him and I can't help but smile!

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I think those old Gundam movies dubs are sort of awesome, by the way. Yeah, they're not super great, but those and Wing were my introduction to the franchise and British Bright is the Best Bright. Also, Steve Blum makes a good Char. I mean yeah, he has the same voice in almost everything and he's in everything, but he's a really good fit for Char!

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

B-b-b-but I totally have a black friend!

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

TARDISman posted:

Is it bad that this guy is my favorite character in AGE?

Like, whenever I'm feeling sad I just need to look at him and I can't help but smile!

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Midjack posted:

I think the dub was still on the first DVD movie though not the second or third.

Nope. I watched the DVDs of the movies about a year ago and they didn't have the dubs.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Oh wow I didn't know AGE was a prequel to Attack on Titan.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The art style clash in AGE never ceases to be the funniest thing.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
It looks like they had multiple people draw those faces, with no art style direction.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Schubalts posted:

It looks like they had multiple people draw those faces, with no art style direction.

They also just literally mirrored one section onto the other side. Was the budget of this thing $4.09?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Ooohhhh noooooo :negative:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

You'd think Sunrise would only use the best of the best art talent for its flagship property, but you'd be wrong apparently. God drat that was one ugly show.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bimmi posted:

You'd think Sunrise would only use the best of the best art talent for its flagship property, but you'd be wrong apparently. God drat that was one ugly show.

Hahaha, man, have you missed the last ten years of Gundam? Unicorn is basically the only one where they bothered to hire a remotely talented artist to do character designs.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Bimmi posted:

Weekly shows and excellent art do not tend to mix well.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Most if not all other Gundam shows have visual design slash art issues ranging from "unfortunate" to "Jesus Jumped-up Christ," but none have poo poo directly into my eyes to quite the degree that AGE has. The fact that all that awful art was made and approved by supposed professionals blows my mind a little bit.

Even the sure-to-be-crap Build Fighters merely looks competently generic, which would be a big step up from whatever the gently caress AGE was.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Looking at AGE stuff just makes me sad about how good a show about Asemu's attempts to live up to his father's legacy could be if it didn't have like any of the staff AGE had. There's a nugget of potential buried deep in there.

Kio was a lost cause from the start.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Asemu's basic concept is frustrating because it is exactly the way you can do a Gundam-like show with a distinctive plot and they pissed it all down their leg. With good writers it could have been a good basic concept and instead... nope.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
AGE in general had a lot of potential, it was all just utterly squandered. The concept of a multi-generational show that charts the course of a century long war through the viewpoint of a single family is great, it's just that the execution fell utterly flat.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
Remember when those leaked "spoilers" came out ages ago saying that the Vagans were actually humans from 100 years in the future who traveled back in time to "prepare" humanity for an alien invasion?

Remember how loving retarded that sounded?

I wish we got that.

EDIT: found them

quote:

Major design docs for Gundam AGE were PURPORTEDLY leaked by a disgruntled Level 5 staff member to 2ch, and they contain some substantial information about the identity of the UE.

Good_Haro translated the leak for us, and here it is.

Q: What is the true identity of the enemy?

A: They're futuristic robots developed by the protagonist's company. However, they weren't developed in the present. They're coming from 100 years in the future.

Q: Even though they're enemies, what's their motivation in all this?

A: Actually, the robot army aren't the true enemies. There are others. 100 years in the future, they [the true enemy, presumably] have destroyed the Earth.

Since they can't defeat them with the technology developed in the future, they go back in time in order to force technological innovation by pressing the protagonists/ Earth Federation in the past. So they recognize that the deaths of Earthlings is a necessary evil: it's all for the sake of Earth in the future.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...

Oh my god I am laughing so hard right now.

I don't care if everyone at work is staring at me.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Hahaha, man, have you missed the last ten years of Gundam? Unicorn is basically the only one where they bothered to hire a remotely talented artist to do character designs.

00's character designs were pretty good? :confused:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Asemu's basic concept is frustrating because it is exactly the way you can do a Gundam-like show with a distinctive plot and they pissed it all down their leg. With good writers it could have been a good basic concept and instead... nope.

It is great on a meta level because Sunrise keeps trying to recreate 0079, in the same way that Asemu keeps trying to be like papa Amuro Flit but must come to terms with the fact that he's his own person and Age could have been its own show.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

If they actually did it better, it would have been really cool to see Flit go from an idealistic kid to a bitter old man. We usually don't see gundam protagonists in their later life, so it's interesting to see how they would be affected from their experiences.

But of course, they had to gently caress it all up by suddenly turning him into the angry guy and then give him the most idiotic about-face in gundam history.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 3, 2013

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Speaking of missed opportunities after flit turned into a crazy space racist that purged the government he doesnt go on to be the shows final villian and infact instead gets a happy ending. Oh well, a conflict that boiled down to the old verses the young would have been out of place in a gundam show anyway.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

BlitzBlast posted:

AGE in general had a lot of potential, it was all just utterly squandered. The concept of a multi-generational show that charts the course of a century long war through the viewpoint of a single family is great, it's just that the execution fell utterly flat.

That's what really burns my biscuits about AGE: the basic premise of war's effect on three generations of a single family is a fantastic one on paper, and could have been something really fresh and compelling in competent hands, but now that it's been done I doubt they'll ever revisit the concept. It feels like a much greater waste than a "buy our playsets and toys" deal like GBF does.

Then again, they've twice gone down the road of "what if the Gundams were terrorists?" and one of them almost didn't suck. Still, it kills me a little to think of what Tomino might have done with the idea (and I'm surprised he didn't think of it first, really).

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 3, 2013

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The first time they did the terrorist Gundams thing it was a resounding success, so we're not likely to see anything remotely resembling Age again, for good or ill.

On the plus side I bet the people responsible will never touch a Gundam series again.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Popehoist posted:

Remember when those leaked "spoilers" came out ages ago saying that the Vagans were actually humans from 100 years in the future who traveled back in time to "prepare" humanity for an alien invasion?

Remember how loving retarded that sounded?

I wish we got that.

EDIT: found them

Of course that's silly. It's the metaplot from Gundam 00.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZlhyQcQ-wA

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Of course that's silly. It's the metaplot from Gundam 00.

Thought that was the Metaplot of Full Metal Panic.

Except with less sparkly particles and more LAMBDA.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Pimpmust posted:

Thought that was the Metaplot of Full Metal Panic.

Except with less sparkly particles and more LAMBDA.

Dolphins, mostly.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

bless you /m/

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dammit, I really need to get around to finishing G Gundam, I got up to the final tournament arc and just stopped for some reason. :(

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

This reminds me: What is the point of the laser-fence they constructed around earth? It doesn't even look like a very good fence.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Meow Tse-tung posted:

This reminds me: What is the point of the laser-fence they constructed around earth? It doesn't even look like a very good fence.

THE EARTH

IS

THE RING

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Zorak posted:

THE EARTH

IS

THE RING

I assumed they were metaphorical giant laser boxing ropes until the episode where Domon had to bounce off of them to get to the final tournament in time.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Begemot posted:

I assumed they were metaphorical giant laser boxing ropes until the episode where Domon had to bounce off of them to get to the final tournament in time.

Still less stupid than Asemu literally cutting a beam saber in half. :v:

In more fanservice news, Psycho Gundam looks to be making a comeback for Build Fighters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Monaghan posted:

If they actually did it better, it would have been really cool to see Flit go from an idealistic kid to a bitter old man. We usually don't see gundam protagonists in their later life, so it's interesting to see how they would be affected from their experiences.

But of course, they had to gently caress it all up by suddenly turning him into the angry guy and then give him the most idiotic about-face in gundam history.

I also have always thought it would be interesting to see a older gundam protagonist like in their 40s as well as seeing the effects on someone who had been fighting for decades in a gundam.

It'll never happen.

• Locked thread