Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Feeble posted:

People who need to get that sweet, sweet cps up, duh.

You make it sound like you don't want to click cookies...

You know what we do to folks like that round here, right?

Give them a Neverclick achievement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deptstoremook
Jan 12, 2004
my mom got scared and said "you're moving with your Aunt and Uncle in Bel-Air!"

Merijn posted:

You're telling a guy from Netherlands that his stroopwafel is not a stroopwafel?

Is a stroopwafel the same as a pizzelle or are they different somehow?

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

deptstoremook posted:

Okay, you guys are just making up words to gently caress with us now, aren't you? <:mad:>

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

deptstoremook posted:

I thought stroopwafels were like a sandwich thing with a caramel-like substance deliciously holding the two halves together? I know pizzelles are just the wafer. Also they sound Italian, not Dutch- blasphemy! :argh:

Wanna put a stroopwafel on top of a hot mug of coffee and let it sit there for a bit and then eat it

Thurin
Jun 24, 2006
Stroop means honey, I think.

FartGhost
Mar 7, 2013

Nope it's syrup.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

FartGhost posted:

Nope it's syrup.

It's a Dutch slang expletive for "gently caress I just ate the entire package of those stroopwafels"

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
I spent the last page of this thread going "what the gently caress are they doing talking about waffles in the cookie thread?" and then I tabed over and saw the stroopwaffel waiting for me to get enough cookies for it, so the game has officially taught me something!

So when is the best time to reset this thing? I saw a few pages back that frequent resets was supposed to give an (accidental) exponential growth, but I wasn't sure if they fixed that yet. I'm sitting at roughly...well hell, lemme just screenshot it.

Note that I WANT to make my grandmom collection into The Borg, but you guys have me too scared to click it.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

WeX Majors posted:

Note that I WANT to make my grandmom collection into The Borg
If only that were the whole extent of it.

Cstar
Aug 17, 2006
I've no way of knowing what whims I might have!
66 quadrillion cookie chains are pretty insane. Went from 1000 heavenly chips to 2000 in a couple of days. Grandmapocalypse forever!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Cstar posted:

66 quadrillion cookie chains are pretty insane. Went from 1000 heavenly chips to 2000 in a couple of days. Grandmapocalypse forever!

Red cookies are totally overpowered. I'm pretty sure that most of my cookies come from cookie chains now.

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008
How do you guys even get the 7 golden cookie achievement? Just watch the screen like a hawk?

On another note, when is it worth it to buy one mind? I read about the grandmapocalypse on the wiki, but i'm still not clear what the drawbacks are.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

ImsaKidd posted:

How do you guys even get the 7 golden cookie achievement? Just watch the screen like a hawk?

Seven. :allears:

There's an achievement for clicking 777. And a shadow achievement for 7,777

Cstar
Aug 17, 2006
I've no way of knowing what whims I might have!
It also gets much easier after the first seven with the golden cookie upgrades.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

ImsaKidd posted:

On another note, when is it worth it to buy one mind? I read about the grandmapocalypse on the wiki, but i'm still not clear what the drawbacks are.

You can manipulate gold cookies spawns by shrinking the browser way down. They'll only appear on the visible part of the screen. Also, if you install Cookie Monster, it has a timer and some notification stuff. After 7 it's a lot easier since the upgrades all increase the spawn frequency.

I don't think anyone's really compared the total value of red cookies vs gold cookies since chains were buffed, so do it if you feel like it? If it's your first runthrough just go for it all the way to get the achievements.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Gils posted:

I don't think anyone's really compared the total value of red cookies vs gold cookies since chains were buffed, so do it if you feel like it? If it's your first runthrough just go for it all the way to get the achievements.

Assuming you have infinite cookies, red cookies have a theoretically unlimited output from cookie chains. In practice, you will occasionally get up to half of your cookies. That's a big deal if you can save up a few quadrillion cookies.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Assuming you have infinite cookies, red cookies have a theoretically unlimited output from cookie chains. In practice, you will occasionally get up to half of your cookies. That's a big deal if you can save up a few quadrillion cookies.

I've got 180 quadrillion right now, so I guess red cookies are infinitely more profitable than gold ones now? I have refreshed since the recent nerf, so I wasn't sure if that was the case anymore.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Well, not infinitely. There's also the fact that the odds of reaching 6+ quadrillion on a chain is less than 30%. It's really annoying to keep getting chains that end in the millions or billions.

Golden cookies have much lower variance, and will still get you every upgrade and achievement pretty quickly.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Cookie chains are the most annoying thing now, holy poo poo.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah, cookie chains can go blow a goat. :mad:

shs
Feb 14, 2012
I saved and reloaded the page to get rid of a red cookie clot. Forgive me grandmatriarch for I have sinned.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
So doing this should make golden cookies easie to click right?

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Yes, but you can still safely make it smaller. Like, down to the size of a single golden cookie and it'll still work.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

You can still shrink it down further, just collapse it completely sideways.

Ideally you still leave some room so you can click the cookie when you get a click frenzy.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Kyrosiris posted:

Resetting a lot.

Yes but don't you have to, you know, wait for them to accumulate.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Seven. :allears:

There's an achievement for clicking 777. And a shadow achievement for 7,777

Yea, gently caress clicking 7,777 golden cookies. Once I hit the last actual achievement threshold, I'm couldn't care less.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I've made it to one heavenly chip's worth of cookies in the first run, am I better off resetting now and getting the bonus or waiting for more chips in this run?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Might as well hold off. If you've got the production to earn one chip, you'll get a few more before too long.

My first reset was with 9 chips, and it made a big difference. Since you have a lot of milk, it'll make your kitten upgrades more useful earlier on, which helps too.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

icantfindaname posted:

I've made it to one heavenly chip's worth of cookies in the first run, am I better off resetting now and getting the bonus or waiting for more chips in this run?

Don't reset until you have at least 50 chips, you get only a 2% bonus per chip.

I'd personally wait until 100-250 chips depending on how patient you are.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Don't reset until you have at least 50 chips, you get only a 2% bonus per chip.

I'd personally wait until 100-250 chips depending on how patient you are.

50 chips requires 1.275 quadrillion baked all time, that's a lofty goal with zero chips to start with.

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010
RE: resetting- If you're going to be leaving it to run a bunch when you're not home or whatever, let the Grandmapocalypse run and collect copious amounts of cookies. Don't reset right before bed- only do it when you've got an hourish to build up your CPS so you get cookies once you leave your keyboard. I tend to chain buy pledges when I'm sitting here since I don't like seeing "lost" or "clot" :ohdear: I've been resetting every time I've doubled my forfeitted amount -and- I have some time to kill building my stuff back up. Which will probably be tomorrow when I get home from work, gonna see how many chips I get!

I should figure out how to use cookie monster, never done anything with scripts before because I'm highly computer illiterate. Could one of you write up a quick how-to for it?

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Sindai posted:

Well, not infinitely. There's also the fact that the odds of reaching 6+ quadrillion on a chain is less than 30%. It's really annoying to keep getting chains that end in the millions or billions.

Golden cookies have much lower variance, and will still get you every upgrade and achievement pretty quickly.
Yeah, I don't know why people are recommending it, right now it only goes to 25% of your bank and maxes out at 17 cookies (66,666,666,666,666,666). There might be some application for it but it is pretty thin since Orteil stealth-fixed the bug in it. Here's the wiki about it with (mostly-correct?) odds.

Edit: Removed code to be a link, instead.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 6, 2013

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
What was the bug in it?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

A page or two (or more?) back there was some dude who got some absurd cookie chain and the code hasn't changed since then. If there was a bug, it may still exist?

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Sorry, the "bug" of the cookie chain (where it didn't count the last cookie) is different than the "nerf", I misspoke. And, no, the current code is exactly what I stated (for the non-beta game at least, I didn't check the beta version), and it could be stealth-patched without a refresh as along as you're not in offline mode. Here's more info on the change (warning, official forums).

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

RyokoTK posted:

50 chips requires 1.275 quadrillion baked all time, that's a lofty goal with zero chips to start with.

I'm chip rich so maybe I'm a little out of touch. I'll run a fresh game in another browser to make sure I'm giving reasonable advice.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
My first reset was at 32 chips, but it was on beta so that was only 32% bonus, which sucked. Luckily I was able to export from beta and import into production and go forward with 64% bonus. My next reset after that was around 230 chips and I just reset again with ~500 chips.

Whenever you reset you'll get a bonus equal to twice the heavenly chips you've acquired. It's up to you to determine if that bonus is worth it yet. FYI, 2% (1 chip) is not worth it.

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Oct 6, 2013

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

My first reset was at 44 chips (I just snuck over a quadrillion to get the achievement). My second came after I added another quadrillion, but due to the exponential increase between chips that one only gave me 21 more (for a total of 65). I'm not resetting a third time until I can get Kitten Overseers for the first time and ride that for awhile.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I had 23 quadrillion banked, got a cookie chain and ended up getting a 66 quadrillion finish.

Whelp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

BlueOccamy posted:

RE: resetting- If you're going to be leaving it to run a bunch when you're not home or whatever, let the Grandmapocalypse run and collect copious amounts of cookies. Don't reset right before bed- only do it when you've got an hourish to build up your CPS so you get cookies once you leave your keyboard. I tend to chain buy pledges when I'm sitting here since I don't like seeing "lost" or "clot" :ohdear: I've been resetting every time I've doubled my forfeitted amount -and- I have some time to kill building my stuff back up. Which will probably be tomorrow when I get home from work, gonna see how many chips I get!

I should figure out how to use cookie monster, never done anything with scripts before because I'm highly computer illiterate. Could one of you write up a quick how-to for it?

If you're in Chrome, download Tampermokey, click the icon, new script, this:

code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name        Cookie Monster
// @namespace   Cookie
// @include     [url]http://orteil.dashnet.org/cookieclicker/[/url]
// @version     1
// @grant       none
// ==/UserScript==

var init = Game.Init;
Game.Init = function(){
    init();
    loadCookieMonster();
}

function loadCookieMonster(){
    var jA = document.createElement('script');
    jA.setAttribute('type', 'text/javascript');
    jA.setAttribute('src', 'http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.10.2/jquery.min.js');
    jA.onload = function () {
        var jB = document.createElement('script');
        jB.setAttribute('type', 'text/javascript');
        jB.setAttribute('src', 'http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=2KRNm8Gm');
        document.body.appendChild(jB);
    };
    document.body.appendChild(jA);
};

• Locked thread