Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

VideoTapir posted:

If you're using that time to apply to things with a better chance of success I'd say that's the most intelligent thing to do, and it punishes the offenders by ensuring that the smartest candidates aren't applying for their job.
Yeah, I still applied to a good half-dozen other jobs throughout the rest of that afternoon. So clearly the Defense Intelligence Agency is totally going to lose out to the Department of State if I have anything to say about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

The OP says their are a few science goons working for the US government, anyone know if im going to be stuck 4 months waiting to know if ive been rejected or not?

Fresh outta college, applying for entry level lab tech/assistant jobs if that helps.

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011
Well, today was a weird day on the USCIS job hunt front. I recived a disposition letter in regards to my application for an Immigration Service Officer, which was dissapointing. An hour later, I get the following email:

quote:

The Vermont Service Center has invited you to complete their assessment process in response to your application for the Immigration Services Assistant position AND/OR the Immigration Management Assistant position.

I guess I got selected for these two positions I applied for a long while ago.

Anybody know the difference between the two?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Is there a way to replace your résumé after attaching it to the post initially? I tried changing from one to the other when using "update application" but the original one remains no matter what I try.

Only vaguely related to USAJobs, I got the heads-up from another professor today about some intelligence analyst hiring for fusion centers around the country. I checked into it to find that, indeed, the entry-level intelligence positions require 4 years of intelligence experience. C'mon, now. These are explicitly mentioned as starter positions. Where do you get four years of intelligence experience pre-entry-level outside the military :(

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Given how many of those are staffed by state/locals, I suspect intelligence experience is being defined rather loosely, but don't go to work for a fusion center. Tons of counter-terror money, but no terrorism to investigate means they don't really do anything useful.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I'm signed up to take a TAP-S assessment for the contact rep position with the IRS. Anyone have any experience with it? Any particular tax issues I should brush up on beforehand?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Quarex posted:

These are explicitly mentioned as starter positions. Where do you get four years of intelligence experience pre-entry-level outside the military :(
The military.

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

sullat posted:

I'm signed up to take a TAP-S assessment for the contact rep position with the IRS. Anyone have any experience with it? Any particular tax issues I should brush up on beforehand?

I took the TAPS and was initially hired into the government as a Contact Rep. There isn't much to study for, as you will be provided all materials when you arrive. It really wasn't all that hard, you just have to show that you can research under pressure to provide the correct information. They don't want you to rush, but to be able to give the taxpayer the right information.

I don't work for the IRS or in that job field anymore since I transferred a few times for promotions.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Just got an official statement that my office is exempt from furloughs in a shutdown. This is good.

Beerdeer fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 27, 2013

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Great, not exempt. This is some buuuuullshit. Time to start looking for another job.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Beerdeer posted:

Just got an official statement that my office is exempt from furloughs in a shutdown. This is good.
No, it's not as good as it might seem. Shutdown is different than the administrative furloughs earlier this year; shut-down furloughs tend to end in workers getting to stay home, but still getting paid. So, everyone else is gonna get a paid vacation but you.

gently caress the tea party, though, for putting us in this situation. Three years of pay freezes, with furloughs on top of that, and no huge restrictions on overtime, and with hiring freezes that means we end up having to work more for less money is really harming morale. gently caress the tea party, seriously.

grover fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 27, 2013

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

grover posted:

No, it's not as good as it might seem. Shutdown is different than the administrative furloughs earlier this year; shut-down furloughs tend to end in workers getting to stay home, but still getting paid. So, everyone else is gonna get a paid vacation but you.

Pay for the workers furloughed during a government shutdown due to a lapse in appropriation is merely tradition -- there's no legal requirement that Congress approve such pay (unlike the way they must eventually pay excepted employees who are obligated to work during a shutdown). Sure it's possible Congress could do that this time, but I'd bet you dollars to donuts that if there is a shutdown starting this Tuesday, that there's no way those chuckle gently caress tea partiers in the House GOP (who you rightly blame for this) would ever approve pay for the federal workers furloughed during the shutdown. They'd never go for that. (They're too busy trying to torpedo the full faith and credit of the country unless the Senate and White House agree to implement everything Romney ran on and lost with.)

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

McCoy Pauley posted:

Pay for the workers furloughed during a government shutdown due to a lapse in appropriation is merely tradition -- there's no legal requirement that Congress approve such pay (unlike the way they must eventually pay excepted employees who are obligated to work during a shutdown). Sure it's possible Congress could do that this time, but I'd bet you dollars to donuts that if there is a shutdown starting this Tuesday, that there's no way those chuckle gently caress tea partiers in the House GOP (who you rightly blame for this) would ever approve pay for the federal workers furloughed during the shutdown. They'd never go for that. (They're too busy trying to torpedo the full faith and credit of the country unless the Senate and White House agree to implement everything Romney ran on and lost with.)

That was pretty much my view of it. Better to be working and know I'll get paid than take the days off and lose the money to bickering.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Agean90 posted:

The OP says their are a few science goons working for the US government, anyone know if im going to be stuck 4 months waiting to know if ive been rejected or not?

Fresh outta college, applying for entry level lab tech/assistant jobs if that helps.

Man I haven't updated that in a LOOONG time, but yeah we do have a few (and more that aren't in the OP).

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

If they sent out e-mails in my division saying if we're essential or not, I won't find out until Monday since today is my CWS day.

I'm assuming that we will be labeled non-essential because we were all furloughed earlier this year because of sequestration.

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011
I'm going to graduate school right now to get my masters degree in economics. There is an economist position on USAJobs that calls for one year of graduate school as a requirement; do they measure that one year as a number of credit hours, or calendar time?

I have 15 of the 30 credit hours my program requires me to graduate, but I started school in January of this year. Would it be worth my time to apply, or should I wait until January to apply? For reference, I plan to be finished with my degree next semester, which ends in May.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Shakadi posted:

I'm going to graduate school right now to get my masters degree in economics. There is an economist position on USAJobs that calls for one year of graduate school as a requirement; do they measure that one year as a number of credit hours, or calendar time?

I have 15 of the 30 credit hours my program requires me to graduate, but I started school in January of this year. Would it be worth my time to apply, or should I wait until January to apply? For reference, I plan to be finished with my degree next semester, which ends in May.

By the time they get to your application it will be January at least.

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

and the sky is filled with light can you see it?

NintyFresh posted:

If they sent out e-mails in my division saying if we're essential or not, I won't find out until Monday since today is my CWS day.

I'm assuming that we will be labeled non-essential because we were all furloughed earlier this year because of sequestration.

That's not necessarily a guarantee: lot of people DoD-side got furloughed for the six days and will probably end up declared essential. I know of firefighters who got furloughed, they backfilled the vacancies with overtime, and these people still got declared essential. Check OPM's website to see what your agency's shutdown plans are.

grover posted:

gently caress the tea party, though, for putting us in this situation. Three years of pay freezes, with furloughs on top of that, and no huge restrictions on overtime, and with hiring freezes that means we end up having to work more for less money is really harming morale. gently caress the tea party, seriously.

This time could be different. The folks declared non-essential might have to work the MSPB process to get their back pay, whereas essential folks get it automatically once the CR gets passed. Given that the MSPB is still choking on the appeals filed during the DoD furloughs, they will be waiting a while to get that money back.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Just got word from my boss that no leave is being granted for exempted employees, so anyone not coming to work is AWOL. Anybody know how that works with getting sick or injured or having to care for a family member?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
What are they gonna do, not pay us?

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

BrainParasite posted:

Just got word from my boss that no leave is being granted for exempted employees, so anyone not coming to work is AWOL. Anybody know how that works with getting sick or injured or having to care for a family member?

Argue that you are not exempted and get furloughed. I was in a situation like that in 2011 when I was on medical/annual leave in Europe.

Here's one. I'm on Congressional mandated leave.

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

Must Love Dogs posted:

That's not necessarily a guarantee: lot of people DoD-side got furloughed for the six days and will probably end up declared essential. I know of firefighters who got furloughed, they backfilled the vacancies with overtime, and these people still got declared essential. Check OPM's website to see what your agency's shutdown plans are.

Yeah, my agency is only having 4% out of 9,000 employees working if we shutdown according to our plans. I'm not in that exempted bunch.

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011

BrainParasite posted:

They can't say a drat thing to you if you're covered under FMLA.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Delorence Fickle posted:

They can't say a drat thing to you if you're covered under FMLA.

FMLA allows for job protected, unpaid leave which is encompassed in furlough status.

What is cancelled is all paid leave (I'm trying to figure out the status of Home Leave, which is mandated between PCS assignments).

Dept. of State guidance somewhere on state.gov posted:

IX. Time and Attendance Reporting

During the furlough period (during the lapse in appropriations), employees must be either (1) performing excepted activities (or otherwise authorized to work), or (2) furloughed. They therefore cannot be in a paid leave status (e.g., annual leave, sick leave, other paid leave or compensatory time off) during that period. Normal hours worked during the furlough period by excepted employees should be reported as regular duty hours.

If an excepted employee had an emergency which precluded them from working during this period, their time should be reported as a furloughed employee for that time period. In the case of employees who were on approved leave without pay during the lapse of appropriations, these absences must continue to be charged to leave without pay...

TCD fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 1, 2013

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

and the sky is filled with light can you see it?

If you are at an installation that's got an AFGE, NFFE, NAGE, or NTEU office, I'd make sure you stop by after the shutdown plan gets fully implemented tomorrow morning. Even if you aren't represented by them or a member, they might be able to help you answer specific questions you've got about your situation.

And for fuckssake, call your goddamn Congressman every day you are furloughed. Get your friends/colleagues at work to do the same. Only way this gets fixed is if these folks get raked over the coals for the bullshit they've just pulled, and y'all are in the best position to do the raking.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Welp. Looks like this might go beyond a few days.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

TCD posted:

Welp. Looks like this might go beyond a few days.

Yeah, I think that's probably a safe bet. Let's hope it doesn't go past the 15th, because if we're still shut down and the debt ceiling is breached, oh boy, are we all in trouble.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

McCoy Pauley posted:

Yeah, I think that's probably a safe bet. Let's hope it doesn't go past the 15th, because if we're still shut down and the debt ceiling is breached, oh boy, are we all in trouble.

What kind of trouble does it mean exactly? I understand it's doom and gloom but know nothing about the economics or what it will mean for the country and for the average person.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

CronoGamer posted:

What kind of trouble does it mean exactly? I understand it's doom and gloom but know nothing about the economics or what it will mean for the country and for the average person.

I'm not sure I could really do justice to it, but there's a thread going in D&D about sequestration and the budget that has had folks weighing in with some pretty good thoughts on how serious the debt ceiling issue is, and some good links in the OP.

From what I can tell, breaching the debt limit won't be like a shutdown -- it will be a lot worse (and include unpleasant stuff as in a shutdown, such as no money for agency operations, because Treasury needs all the money to prioritize other payments such as mandatory spending and debt servicing). It would likely mean interest rate would start going way up, because remain low in large part based on belief that the US stands behind the debt it issues (which belief would be seriously challenged when the US doesn't stand behind that debt, by defaulting on it). From what I can tell, most people who are paying attention to the issue are sure it would drive us into a deep recession, which would have all kinds of impact on consumer spending and the job market. Interest rates going up would impact the housing market.

I dunno, I spent a bunch of time thinking about agency shutdown plans and operations during a shutdown, and that stuff's a pain, but ultimately you can figure it out, and there are historical precedents to consider. The more I look at debt ceiling stuff and try to figure out how that would impact agency operations, the more it seems like the only thing to conclude is that it's hard to conclude anything except it will be really, really bad.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

McCoy Pauley posted:

I'm not sure I could really do justice to it, but there's a thread going in D&D about sequestration and the budget that has had folks weighing in with some pretty good thoughts on how serious the debt ceiling issue is, and some good links in the OP.

From what I can tell, breaching the debt limit won't be like a shutdown -- it will be a lot worse (and include unpleasant stuff as in a shutdown, such as no money for agency operations, because Treasury needs all the money to prioritize other payments such as mandatory spending and debt servicing). It would likely mean interest rate would start going way up, because remain low in large part based on belief that the US stands behind the debt it issues (which belief would be seriously challenged when the US doesn't stand behind that debt, by defaulting on it). From what I can tell, most people who are paying attention to the issue are sure it would drive us into a deep recession, which would have all kinds of impact on consumer spending and the job market. Interest rates going up would impact the housing market.

I dunno, I spent a bunch of time thinking about agency shutdown plans and operations during a shutdown, and that stuff's a pain, but ultimately you can figure it out, and there are historical precedents to consider. The more I look at debt ceiling stuff and try to figure out how that would impact agency operations, the more it seems like the only thing to conclude is that it's hard to conclude anything except it will be really, really bad.

This isn't entirely accurate. There's no legal precedent for prioritizing the debt. These are all automatic payments on a monthly basis and we would need someone in the Treasury to reprogram ALL of these payments and they've said they lack the ability/legal standing to do this.

Obama COULD (won't) bypass congress and use the 14th amendment to keep spending, but then the government would remain shutdown and the tea party would still call him a tyrant.

If the shutdown lasts more than a few weeks; WIC, disability, and Veterans benefits stop. Elder Services gets cut directly by 7%, National Parks close, Monuments close, Zoos close etc etc. Food Stamps probably last the month. Once we hit the debt ceiling, Medicare/Medicaid/SSI payments stop.

Nothing good can come out of this and if it does happen....I'm pretty sure it's an unmitigated disaster.

menpoop
Jul 29, 2004

Girls aren't the only ones who take dumps, you know...
I try to explain to my friends in the UK why I'm not at work and they legitimately can't understand it. This is beyond frustrating.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Hooray! Looks like backpay is a go!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...ry.html?hpid=z1

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Woohoo!!!

Suddenly, I care a lot less about how long this shutdown goes on...

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

grover posted:

Woohoo!!!

Suddenly, I care a lot less about how long this shutdown goes on...

In 12 days we hit the Debt Ceiling. If we do that while the Government is shut down, all hell will break loose.

WIC ic closed. Elder affairs is facing dramatic cuts. Veterans benefits aren't going out past a few weeks. E-verify is down so people might not be able to get food stamps or guns or mortgages or jobs. We're in a terrible situation right now. You need to care. Please care.

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

Pillowpants posted:

In 12 days we hit the Debt Ceiling. If we do that while the Government is shut down, all hell will break loose.

WIC ic closed. Elder affairs is facing dramatic cuts. Veterans benefits aren't going out past a few weeks. E-verify is down so people might not be able to get food stamps or guns or mortgages or jobs. We're in a terrible situation right now. You need to care. Please care.

This, plus we still won't be paid until the government reopens.

This still could be a while, which is not good for furloughed employees, employees working in a non-pay status, as well as the general public that relies on our services. I know, especially for FHA mortgages, that there will be a backlog on issues that I deal with daily when I am on the job. While some FHA mortgages may be able to close and be insured during a shutdown, if a bank has an issue that needs to be fixed before a mortgage can be insured by the government, my area is the one that would deal with it normally and we are all out currently.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Pillowpants posted:

Everywhere I've read said VA benefits are funded a year out.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

TLG James posted:

Everywhere I've read said VA benefits are funded a year out.

Not if we can't pay our debts and we default.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Pillowpants posted:

Oh, believe me, I know and I care deeply. It's just nice to suddenly have the stress off of whether I'm going to get paid or not since the loss of a few weeks of pay is quite a large personal impact. One of my coworkers was trying to close on a house, and who knows where the gently caress that is right now (almost certainly stalled since there are a few government steps need to be taken during closing).

I see a lot of the 2nd and 3rd order ramifications of this first-hand- the "OMGs" just kept running in when we were doing the joke of an "orderly shutdown" Tuesday morning and people realized just how bad the situation is, and it honestly scares me. I would much rather just be doing my job. I'm not going to see another paycheck until they pass a real budget, and I might have to float on savings for a few weeks, but I at least now know I'm going to eventually get back-paid which is a huge load off.

A lot of my contractor friends are simply getting hosed in the rear end with no recourse at all. WIC and all are going to feel a real hurt soon, too. gently caress congress.

grover fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 5, 2013

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Boss called me today and said now that Hagel changed his mind and decided dod civilians are exempt from the furlough after all (I guess this is an admission that sending us home last week was a mistake?), I have to go back to work tomorrow.

Still not sure if I'm going to be paid on time :(

gently caress congress. :gop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

grover posted:

Boss called me today and said now that Hagel changed his mind and decided dod civilians are exempt from the furlough after all (I guess this is an admission that sending us home last week was a mistake?), I have to go back to work tomorrow.

Still not sure if I'm going to be paid on time :(

gently caress congress. :gop:

Me too! I'm so happy!

Though yeah, I'd like to get paid, too. D: