Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

icantfindaname posted:

Nintendo should make a 2D Zelda roguelike. Just rework nethack, make it slightly less difficult and actually playable without spoilers and you're golden.

I'd play the poo poo out of a Zelda version of Dungeon Crawl.

Actually, I'd play the poo poo out of an anything version of Dungeon Crawl.

Every company needs to embrace Roguelikes forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

CapnAndy posted:

Here, these are good candles.

Now join me in commiserating that all the presents have to be bought before Black Friday, and also how the gently caress do you celebrate Hannukah on Thanksgiving anyway, how is that going to work?

Oh hey, I never thought of Amazon. Thanks for the tip. Celebrating it will be easy since my family gets together for Thanksgiving, I think it'll be the first Hanukkah where Mom's had both kids home since we left for college.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Dick Smith in Australia were selling off all Wii U related goods for 50% last fortnight.

My partner and I picked up a Wii U for $170 and Mario Bros U for $35. There really aren't any other original Wii U games out at the moment that interest us. (Pikmin 3, W101, WW Rehash, Zombii U? No.)

The first night we set up the system and played Mario. We were both extremely disinterested and disappointed after an hour of playing. Inflatable Yoshi and HD haven't made a compelling game.

We told our friends we bought a Wii U, their reactions were 90% confusion ('There's a Wii U? Does it do bowling?') and 10% disdain ('Why did you spend $200 on one rehashed game?').

While we bought it on Nintendo promises and a price cut, right now we regret buying a Wii U.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I got one in the sale too. It's alright. I actually like Nintendoland a lot and you should try the W101 demo off the store because it seriously turned that game from meh to must buy for me.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I think the issue that Nintendo faces is more than just lack of awareness - it's that even people who haven't looked it up extensively who know it exists have NEVER seen it either. It doesn't make a good showing to see something that no one is supporting (advertising wise) because it makes it seem like Nintendo gave up on the console. The lack of advertising does more than keep people from knowing it exists, but harms the ability for people who knows what it is to trust in it.

The Wii U also has the issue of not really appealing to anyone besides Nintendo fans at the moment. Nothing about it is unique besides the tablet that... well, doesn't get used for anything fun. Someone with a 360 doesn't look at a Wii U and go 'I need that because it is more powerful so everyone will support it' like they do with the PS4 and Bone, because it's loving terrible and no one supports it. The console has no one supporting it besides Nintendo, and even they 'support' it the bare minimum. (though then again, I have only seen 10 or so 3DS ads over the course of years either, so maybe Nintendo just hates advertising.)

Getting people to know it exists wont save it. Getting more games wont save it. Nothing is going to save the console because the actually supported next gen is around the corner. The Wii U will never even sell at the gamecube level. Of course, Nintendo will take away that it wasn't popular because of *insert stupid reason*, instead of anything that would actually help them next generation.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I was talking to a Nintendo executive and he didn't even know that the WiiU wasn't an accessory for the Wii, or that it was out, or where he could buy one, or what video games are.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

I was talking to a Nintendo executive and he didn't even know that the WiiU wasn't an accessory for the Wii, or that it was out, or where he could buy one, or what video games are.

Nintendo being secretly run by the Amish would make a frightening amount of sense.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

TheScott2K posted:

There is a very real possibility you are serious...

RALF
Mar 15, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Are the Steam Machines the next MSX?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Considering the potential the Steam Machine has for confusing potential buyers, it could be the next WiiU.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

LOSS posted:

Are the Steam Machines the next MSX?

If that means we get more Nemesis (the better Gradius series with more weapons and secrets) then yes please!

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

univbee posted:

Nintendo being secretly run by the Amish would make a frightening amount of sense.

Not including Rare, Microsoft has done several rounds of poaching Nintendo staff since the Xbox pre-launch, especially in Washington state. I think they pulled off a big sweep back when they pushed Kinect.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Andrew_1985 posted:

While we bought it on Nintendo promises and a price cut, right now we regret buying a Wii U.

No poo poo, you bought a console while actively knowing you don't like any of the games out for it.

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

whaley posted:

Oh yeah, once again, you are probably blind as poo poo if you think the Wii U is only as powerful as an XBox 360 or PlayStation 3
Well they couldn't get an HD remake of a 10 year old game with cartoon graphics to run at a consistent frame rate, so yeah, I don't think it's quite the graphical powerhouse you're imagining it to be.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Midee posted:

Well they couldn't get an HD remake of a 10 year old game with cartoon graphics to run at a consistent frame rate, so yeah, I don't think it's quite the graphical powerhouse you're imagining it to be.

It's 8 game cubes strapped together!

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Midee posted:

There are plenty of HD ports of PS2 games that run like poo poo on the PS3 too, this is an indicator of competence more than power.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

edit: n/m

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 5, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

Yes so the point is the wiiu is not significantly more powerful than the PS3 or 360. Because it can't run last gen remakes any better than the PS3. Glad we've reached an understanding.

Except the reason the PS3 ports tend to have problems is because there are problems with the port, not because the PS3 is ~too weak.~

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Even if we were in some bizarre parallel universe where the WiiU wasn't basically in the same horsepower ballpark as the PS3 and 360, what good does it do if the only way to take advantage of that is have games developed specifically for it, which nobody in the industry is interested in doing?

Now I'll wait here while you write up three paragraphs worth of wishful thinking based on one sentence someone at Ubisoft said about the WiiU version of Watch_Dogs.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Except the reason the PS3 ports tend to have problems is because there are problems with the port, not because the PS3 is ~too weak.~

Exactly, Shadow of the Colossus and Metal Gear Solid 3 now run like a dream, while Zone of the Enders 2 (pre-patch) and Prince of Persia, which even netbooks could probably run pretty well, were terrible.

What areas cause Wind Waker HD to stutter? I only watched a bit of Cosmo's run through, but I didn't see any frame rate drops.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

TheScott2K posted:

Even if we were in some bizarre parallel universe where the WiiU wasn't basically in the same horsepower ballpark as the PS3 and 360, what good does it do if the only way to take advantage of that is have games developed specifically for it, which nobody in the industry is interested in doing?

Now I'll wait here while you write up three paragraphs worth of wishful thinking based on one sentence someone at Ubisoft said about the WiiU version of Watch_Dogs.

It's pretty sad how common poo poo like that is. If you're going to shill for nintendo at least get paid to do so.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

That loving Sned posted:

What areas cause Wind Waker HD to stutter? I only watched a bit of Cosmo's run through, but I didn't see any frame rate drops.

I'm playing it and having a fantastic time, but to give an example when all of the Chus are on the Great Deku Tree's face, if you do the circle slash on a lot of them at once you can tell the game is struggling. It really hasn't happened too often from what I've noticed but the forest temple is the latest I've done so I still have a lot I haven't seen yet.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

MykonosFan posted:

I'm playing it and having a fantastic time, but to give an example when all of the Chus are on the Great Deku Tree's face, if you do the circle slash on a lot of them at once you can tell the game is struggling. It really hasn't happened too often from what I've noticed but the forest temple is the latest I've done so I still have a lot I haven't seen yet.

It gives a brief pause when you kill an enemy for a more visceral feeling, is it those stacking up when killing a lot of guys that you're seeing as struggling?

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Bruceski posted:

It gives a brief pause when you kill an enemy for a more visceral feeling, is it those stacking up when killing a lot of guys that you're seeing as struggling?

Actually it might have been that. The game does a similar thing when you cut down those really thin trees too, I think. Either way it's been a very smooth experience for me.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, that was in the original game too. In speed runs, they take down half of the chus with a quick spin, and you can see the game pausing each time the sword hits a new enemy. It's in Twilight Princess as well.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

The only place I've gotten a huge frame rate hit so far was unplugging the spring at Dragon Roost.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So here's my dilemma. I had a WiiU and sold it to get a Vita due to lack of play. I managed to get a Zelda one on layaway and here's where I stand. I really want to support Nintendo. I didn't buy a Wii and there are a few Wii Games I legitimately want to play, along with a list of upcoming WiiU games that I'm incredibly interested in. For someone who didn't adopt the Wii and wants to get back into the WiiU stuff, should I just pick it up or just cut my losses and get my money back? I only ask because I love my 3DS, and I enjoyed my WiiU at the time, however work and school just made handhelds more viable. With more time I want to give it a chance, but I've been between this thread and the other WiiU thread and I'm confident in my want to buy it, but I would like some second opinions before I pay it off.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

So here's my dilemma. I had a WiiU and sold it to get a Vita due to lack of play. I managed to get a Zelda one on layaway and here's where I stand. I really want to support Nintendo. I didn't buy a Wii and there are a few Wii Games I legitimately want to play, along with a list of upcoming WiiU games that I'm incredibly interested in. For someone who didn't adopt the Wii and wants to get back into the WiiU stuff, should I just pick it up or just cut my losses and get my money back? I only ask because I love my 3DS, and I enjoyed my WiiU at the time, however work and school just made handhelds more viable. With more time I want to give it a chance, but I've been between this thread and the other WiiU thread and I'm confident in my want to buy it, but I would like some second opinions before I pay it off.

Sounds like you've already made your decision and you're asking the internet to talk you out of it.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
I say sell it off and if you really feel like playing Mario in HD then get one later down the line when you can get it dirt cheap ($99~150). That's what I'm doing anyhow.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

Sounds like you've already made your decision and you're asking the internet to talk you out of it.

Not so much that, I just want to hear from people who did stick with it. I know Mario and Donkey Kong are coming up as well. I guess a better way to phrase all that would be that if I'm wanting it to catch up with Wii stuff as well is it worth the money, or should I just get a cheap Wii for that.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

Not so much that, I just want to hear from people who did stick with it. I know Mario and Donkey Kong are coming up as well. I guess a better way to phrase all that would be that if I'm wanting it to catch up with Wii stuff as well is it worth the money, or should I just get a cheap Wii for that.

I don't think there was anything that great on the Wii to go back to, your money and time would be better spent elsewhere.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

If you liked your Wii U, now's the time to jump back in with Zelda, W101, Pikmin 3, and the only full-featured version of Rayman Legends. Recent hands on impressions of SM3DW have been incredibly positive, and the recent patch that allows for Wii games to be played off-screen with a Wii controller might interest you.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
If you have the money why the hell not. This might very well be the last console Nintendo ever makes, so enjoy your Mario and Zeldas while you can.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Would anybody here say its worth buying a Wii U just for the Wonderful 101(please don't tell me anything about the game, I want to be surprised if I ever do play it in the future)? I love Platinum and Kamiya.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

W101 is easily the biggest Platinum title yet, you're looking at 15-20 hours of over-the-top action for a first playthrough. If you're a devoted Platinum fan, W101 and the promise of Bayonetta 2 should honestly be a system seller as long as you have a passing interest in some of the things Nintendo will be putting out as well.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
I guess it's about what's more important to you: saving money or getting the Wii U games you're anticipating sooner rather than later. Like, is Super Mario 3D World making you salivate? Do you need to play Sonic Lost World five minutes ago? With Donkey Kong delayed, all the Wii U's other big unreleased exclusives don't hit until next year or later.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AASman posted:

Would anybody here say its worth buying a Wii U just for the Wonderful 101(please don't tell me anything about the game, I want to be surprised if I ever do play it in the future)? I love Platinum and Kamiya.

It depends on how much you really like Platinum games but W101 is seriously one of their best. I wouldn't buy any system, let alone the Wii U, for one game but W101 alone has gotten more playtime from me than most other games this year. I think the only thing I've played more is Spelunky HD.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

AASman posted:

No, but Wonderful 101 is an awesome game.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Chaltab posted:

I guess it's about what's more important to you: saving money or getting the Wii U games you're anticipating sooner rather than later. Like, is Super Mario 3D World making you salivate? Do you need to play Sonic Lost World five minutes ago? With Donkey Kong delayed, all the Wii U's other big unreleased exclusives don't hit until next year or later.
I actually haven't touched a video game since February but have a passing interest in W101 because it looks so drat cool. Also my PS3 YLOD'd and I'm not sure if I should get a new one or not, but I still have my slim 4 gb 360. I still want to eventually check out GTAV and Dark Souls (loved Demon's Souls) but... I'm just not in the mood to play ANYTHING.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Thank you all for the perspectives on both sides.

• Locked thread