Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

G-Mach posted:

I also have always thought it would be interesting to see a older gundam protagonist like in their 40s as well as seeing the effects on someone who had been fighting for decades in a gundam.

It'll never happen.

Crossbone? Also no gundam has been piloted in a war by the same person for more than 1 year anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Begemot posted:

I assumed they were metaphorical giant laser boxing ropes until the episode where Domon had to bounce off of them to get to the final tournament in time.

wow, I think I missed that episode, somehow. It's been over a decade since I saw G-gundam, but somehow I didn't make that super-obvious connection. Yet another thing that makes G-gundam amazing.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

G-Mach posted:

I also have always thought it would be interesting to see a older gundam protagonist like in their 40s as well as seeing the effects on someone who had been fighting for decades in a gundam.

It'll never happen.

Amuro in CCA is pretty much the closest there is (I think he was in his late 30s?). Char too, though he's not a gundam pilot.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

TaurusOxford posted:

In more fanservice news, Psycho Gundam looks to be making a comeback for Build Fighters.

I have a hunch that every single MS with a significant backstock of unsold model kits is gonna be making an appearance in this thing.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism

G-Mach posted:

It'll never happen.

Aren't you describing Judau in Crossbone? He even still uses the ZZ.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

Amuro in CCA is pretty much the closest there is (I think he was in his late 30s?). Char too, though he's not a gundam pilot.

By that logic, Flit and Skrillex count as adult pilots too and look how THAT went

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Faltion posted:

Man Judau is like 80 in Crossbone, not 40. And a lifetime of battle had seemingly no effect on him, so not the best choice.

Paper Lion posted:

By that logic, Flit and Skrillex count as adult pilots too and look how THAT went

Flit was legitimately the most interesting part of AGE, though?

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

He was a creepy old genocideman that was really hung up on the brainghost of a magic spacegirl that died when he was a child and had to be literally mindraped by his grandson to make him not kill everything ever in mutually assured space destruction. NONE OF THAT WAS PORTRAYED IN AN INTERESTING WAY.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
There were two women more important than his wife in Flit's life. Urine and Anus.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

muike posted:

There were two women more important than his wife in Flit's life. Urine and Anus.

Tell me those are their real names.

I WANT TO BELIEVE

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yurin and Einasu

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

G-Mach posted:

It'll never happen.

In Gundam, it's unlikely you'd live that long as a MS pilot. Especially if Tomino's doing the show.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
Gundam 00 did something semi-interesting along those lines. Setsuna spending many years piloting Gundams and being exposed to GN particles at extremely close range eventually mutated him into an evolved human.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BlitzBlast posted:

Amuro was only 28/29 in CCA, while Char was 33/34.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Amuro was still in his late 20s in CCA.

Faltion posted:

I'm talking about a actual series not a cameo in a semi-obscure manga.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Honestly I don't even find the art that awful or hilarious in this shot, but maybe I need to see it in motion to see how horrible it is or something. To me it doesn't look any worse than than a lot of shows. I do however wonder why the two female military officers we can see full body in this shot appear to be trying to diddle themselves with truncheons in public. You'd think they'd try to contain their excitement about whatever is happening till they get home.

Bimmi posted:

Most if not all other Gundam shows have visual design slash art issues ranging from "unfortunate" to "Jesus Jumped-up Christ," but none have poo poo directly into my eyes to quite the degree that AGE has. The fact that all that awful art was made and approved by supposed professionals blows my mind a little bit.

Even the sure-to-be-crap Build Fighters merely looks competently generic, which would be a big step up from whatever the gently caress AGE was.

I actually kind of like the character designs in AGE. At least, the gen 1 ones. They all have a really cartoony and silly aspect that kind of reminds me of older manga by guys like Nagai that weren't afraid to have weird and silly faces and designs.

Paper Lion posted:

He was a creepy old genocideman that was really hung up on the brainghost of a magic spacegirl that died when he was a child and had to be literally mindraped by his grandson to make him not kill everything ever in mutually assured space destruction. NONE OF THAT WAS PORTRAYED IN AN INTERESTING WAY.

Don't forget that he was that hung up about someone he met like twice or three times for a few hours total from what I gather. And that Hino was convinced this was more dramatic and better than having someone like his wife be the one to convince him even after the female staff members complained about it.

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 7, 2013

KoB
May 1, 2009

tsob posted:

Honestly I don't even find the art that awful or hilarious in this shot, but maybe I need to see it in motion to see how horrible it is or something. To me it doesn't look any worse than than a lot of shows. I do however wonder why the two female military officers we can see full body in this shot appear to be trying to diddle themselves with truncheons in public. You'd think they'd try to contain their excitement about whatever is happening till they get home.

The left and right are literally mirrored with the faces changed.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Also there are the guys with the huge rear end heads. Those two guys have heads the size of other people's torsos. They're all supposed to be the same species, right?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Count me in as one of those weirdos who like the out of place designs, it has a 70's charm to it that is oddly fitting to a series that can't let go of the past.

TheBigTwo
Mar 1, 2013
So, I read somewhere that Wing has compilation movies. I don't really want to watch the whole series, but I am feeling nostalgic for Wing.

So can anyone tell me how good the compilation movies are and if they're a good substitute for watching the whole series?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

wing doesn't have compilation movies. You're likely thinking of the endless waltz movie, which combines a three episode OVA.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008
There are the Operation Meteor OVAs, Odds and Evens, but they've never been subbed. They are sort of compilations, but not really the same as what we've seen with the theatrical compilations or the SEED/Destiny/00 Special Editions where they follow the plot and cut it down. There are two parts covering half the series each, and then further split into segments covering each pilot, with "Odd Numbers" (Heero, Trowa, and Wufei) and "Even Numbers" (Duo, Quatre, Zechs). Operation Meteor II does actually feature some new footage set after the end of the final episode, but it's minimal.

If you don't need subs, both myself and RX782 of EG have each released them, so they should be pretty easy to find.

TheBigTwo
Mar 1, 2013

OZC posted:

There are the Operation Meteor OVAs, Odds and Evens, but they've never been subbed. They are sort of compilations, but not really the same as what we've seen with the theatrical compilations or the SEED/Destiny/00 Special Editions where they follow the plot and cut it down. There are two parts covering half the series each, and then further split into segments covering each pilot, with "Odd Numbers" (Heero, Trowa, and Wufei) and "Even Numbers" (Duo, Quatre, Zechs). Operation Meteor II does actually feature some new footage set after the end of the final episode, but it's minimal.

If you don't need subs, both myself and RX782 of EG have each released them, so they should be pretty easy to find.

Thanks, that's probably what I was thinking of.

I haven't seen the show since it aired back on Toonami, would watching these serve as a good substitute to re-watching the whole series? It's the series that got me into Gundam, and while I remember it fondly I don't know if I could watch 50 episodes of it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you remember watching Wing fondly it's probably best not to watch anything from it again so it can stay that way.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Uh, if you're gonna nostalgia trip you need to watch the show dubbed, just like you did ten years ago. And be wary of nostalgia tripping wing, your nostalgia might not survive the trip. Mine did, for what its worth, but yours might not be so lucky.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I did a nostalgia watch a few years ago and the DVDs didn't come out of the player and drop a Cleveland Steamer on me while I was on the couch. The story was quite a bit sillier than it was the first time around, but it was an OK bunch of evenings.

If you get 10 episodes in and hate it then sure, bail out, but it's probably not going to be as bad as some make it out to be.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008
Yeah, I'd agree that if you watched it on Toonami, watch the dub. I'd say Operation Meteor is set up for people who either watched the show recently enough to remember a majority of the plot or those who simply remember the plot well enough but want a slight refresher. But if you haven't seen it since it was on Toonami, watch the whole thing.

Of course, if they ever decided to animate Frozen Teardrop, the disjointed non-linear recapping of Operation Meteor would fit right in with FT's broken as hell narrative.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
So Age just tried to introduce an intimidating character. You can tell she's intimidating and a thread because of the music.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

muike posted:

So Age just tried to introduce an intimidating character. You can tell she's intimidating and a thread because of the music.

I have some bad news.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Nah don't worry, she's a bad guy that isn't Zeheart on a good hair day. I know she's gonna be a jobber. and also stop being relevant after about 2 minutes of screentime

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

If it's Girad Spriggan you're talking about, she gets way more than two minutes. :shepface:

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

muike posted:

Is it Girard Spriggan?

:suicide:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I still have no idea why Girard was even introduced and I'm not sure that the writers knew either.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Monaghan posted:

I still have no idea why Girard was even introduced and I'm not sure that the writers knew either.

Oh, there's a reason she exists. They needed a boss fight for the moon-retaking stage.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Monaghan posted:

I still have no idea why Gerard was even introduced and I'm not sure that the writers knew either.

Probably cause they needed a "EFF are evil assholes" scene.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm more confused from what I read about her that they didn't just make her and Shanalua a single character and give a woman in AGE a significant role. Also, why Asemu didn't save the day when Flit and Kio were hosed due to anti-not-newtype field or whatever was going on in Gerard's episodes.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

TaurusOxford posted:

Probably cause they needed a "EFF are evil assholes" scene.

Except the federation didn't seem that bad because her whole tragic backstory was the fault of the rear end in a top hat commander who wanted to defect to the Vegan side.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tsob posted:

I'm more confused... give a woman in AGE a significant role.
That runs contrary to everything AGE is about.

I still love that half the articles for the female characters in AGE on the Gundam Wiki are just 'mother of ___'. Chibodee's cheerleaders have more complex characterization and more relevancy to the plot.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

tsob posted:

Also, why Asemu didn't save the day when Flit and Kio were hosed due to anti-not-newtype field or whatever was going on in Gerard's episodes.

Look man, somebody had to stand there, mouth agape, expositing every bit of action. Asemu just drew the short straw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Any questions regarding AGE's narrative can be summed up in one sentence: Sunrise hired a video game writer to script a 50-week TV series.

This is roughly equivalent to asking a Redditor for fashion and dating tips and then following his advice.

• Locked thread