Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated
How does irregular income relate to SNAP (food stamp) benefits? My partner (we're not married, but we live together and sometimes share food) will be going out for surgery in a couple weeks. He'll be getting paid lost wages that amount to I think 60% of his already-relatively-low income. He sells old gaming memorabilia online, sometimes directly, sometimes through eBay, and often overseas. He gets anywhere from $5 to $500 at a time, and it could be anywhere from once a week to once or less a month. He usually uses this to catch up on bills, because the income from his job alone doesn't cover them. I don't think he reports these sales as income for federal/state tax purposes, but I'm not sure. He already paid tax back when he bought the stuff several years ago, so I don't even know if that's a problem.

Anyway, I'm assuming he would have to report these sales as income. Will the welfare office be privy to the exact amounts of money moving in and out of his checking account? Would they totally disqualify him and make him reapply if there's a week/month where he gets pushed over the line? Or is it like unemployment where you report your income and just don't get benefits for that week?

If there is a better forum for this question, please let me know. I've never been on unemployment or food stamps, so I don't know anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Are you asking whether he is eligible or are you asking how to game the system?

Just apply. Your state probably has a website devoted to it, and that's the advice they always give. Even if you're not sure, apply, and you may find out that you are eligible for other programs or assistance.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Who here uses those online savings account places? Are they worthwhile? I like my credit union but their savings rates are like 0.1%. I know rates aren't great right now but there's gotta be somewhere I can do a bit better than that to store my emergency fund. Any suggestions?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I've kept my emergency cash at ING (now CapitalOne) and HSBC Direct for years, like since they were paying 7% interest. Never had a negative experience as long as you keep the 3-4 day transfer times in mind. HSBC hasn't kept up rates lately, perhaps due to their ongoing scandals.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Sep 27, 2013

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
I use to use ING Direct until Cap1 bought them. They had the 2nd best rate at the time. Great customer service and etc, easy to use...I won't do biz with Cap1 though, so I moved my savings. SmartyPig is another well liked savings account, which had the best rate I could find in 2010. I'm sure it's gone down now.

My CU offers 1.x% on checking balances up to $10k, so that's where I stick short term. As long as I spend to the budget vs the account all is good! My CU also offers 0.1% BS on my normal savings account. Gah!

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I still use CapitalOne née ING Direct for my cash savings. Literally the only thing that has changed since CapitalOne took over is the color scheme of the website, so I haven't had a reason to jump ship yet. Savings rates have crashed across the board so they aren't all that far behind anyone else, at least not enough for me to care at this point.

Plus there's really good integration between CapitalOne 360 and Sharebuilder if you have a brokerage or IRA account with them.

My credit union is great and I love using them for checking and day to day stuff. They give ~4% interest but only on the first $1000, after that it's only 0.1%. So I only keep $1000 with them and move the rest to CapitalOne.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Who here uses those online savings account places? Are they worthwhile? I like my credit union but their savings rates are like 0.1%. I know rates aren't great right now but there's gotta be somewhere I can do a bit better than that to store my emergency fund. Any suggestions?
I use Ally Bank for my savings, since they had the highest rates of the big online banks last I looked. They also transfer pretty fast in both directions(a day at most, although I've only taken money out of it once). If you think having an extra account to keep track of won't be a huge burden on you, go for it.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
I use Barclays online. One of the highest rates for savings accounts, and run by the real Barclays Bank.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I use Smartypig to save for large purchases. Right now we're saving 4 a larger house. What is nice is that it keeps us on track, and we can see our progress. It also takes a couple days to pull the money out, so we don't look at it as available funds. The interest rate is better than our credit union.

slow crow
Sep 29, 2007
2012 was a bad year

slow crow fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 10, 2013

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.
Obamacare question (should we start a new thread for this? I don't know anything about it but maybe someone with expertise could start one):

I was actually excited about the exchanges starting up in a few days, but then I realized I can't participate because I have employer-provided insurance. My insurance offered by work sucks is kind of terrible. My wife is also covered by my employer's plan, but they don't subsidize any of it - I pay 100% of her premiums through the employer plan. She is currently unemployed (graduate student). Is there some way for her to independently use the exchange to seek out better coverage than our terrible plan, even though technically she could get it from my employer and our "household" income (my income) I think puts us out of subsidy range?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

slow crow posted:

Please help me with a credit report question that I can't find a better place to ask about. It's pretty important to me.

I requested a limit increase on a card I was carrying a balance on. The increase was approved but now my report shows both the new limit and the previous limit as a separate closed account with the balance on it. Is this normal?

e.g. You have $3500 on a $4000 limit card. You get this limit increased to $5000. Now your report shows an active $3500/$5000 account and a closed $3500/4000 with a credit utilization calculated at top as $3500+$3500/$5000+$4000=~0.8 rather than the 0.7 of just your new account. This was over a year ago and my score is still suffering :(

e: If this is normal that also means no matter what I do I cannot ever have a $0 balance on that account which will be reported for a number of years to come.

Step 1) Read the thread.
Step 2) ???
Step 3) Profit.

Hint: Step 2 does not involve optimizing your utilization to game your credit score.

slow crow
Sep 29, 2007
2012 was a bad year

slow crow fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 10, 2013

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
This is not a question about utilization.

I just pulled up my Experian credit report and I don't have that issue, slow crow. I ask for credit limit increases all the time and have never noticed that happen. I would check into it.

slow crow
Sep 29, 2007
2012 was a bad year

slow crow fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 10, 2013

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

kaishek posted:

Obamacare question (should we start a new thread for this? I don't know anything about it but maybe someone with expertise could start one):

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3540057

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

moana posted:

This is not a question about utilization.

I just pulled up my Experian credit report and I don't have that issue, slow crow. I ask for credit limit increases all the time and have never noticed that happen. I would check into it.

Oddly, my Experian report does have that issue. There's a text comment with each account (that's had CLIs) like this:

Credit limit $3,000 from 01/01 to 08/01, $5,000 from 08/01 to 12/05, $10,000 from 12/05 to 09/13

There's a separate one for high balances during each of those time periods too. That said, high balance isn't used in FICO, so you shouldn't be stressing out about it.

slow crow
Sep 29, 2007
2012 was a bad year

slow crow fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 10, 2013

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Bisty Q. posted:

Oddly, my Experian report does have that issue. There's a text comment with each account (that's had CLIs) like this:

Credit limit $3,000 from 01/01 to 08/01, $5,000 from 08/01 to 12/05, $10,000 from 12/05 to 09/13

There's a separate one for high balances during each of those time periods too. That said, high balance isn't used in FICO, so you shouldn't be stressing out about it.
I have the text comment as well, but slow crow makes it seem like they're totally separate accounts, which is weird as hell.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

slow crow posted:

Unfortunately the score my lenders use does reflect the percent of revolving credit used. So I'll have to look into that.

Did you change the type of card or product you had? The account should have stayed the same, but maybe if you went from a platinum card to a rewards card they made a new account for the new product? Might take a month for it to get straightened out. That's the only thing I can think of.

slow crow
Sep 29, 2007
2012 was a bad year

slow crow fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 10, 2013

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Got the bonus. After taxes it comes to $1425. Roll that with my $500 monthly payment plus the $200 my family is reimbursing me for and I'm looking at $1400 left on credit debt. Might actually be credit card debt free by end of the year. Feels goood.

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

I'm finally starting to really look at where my money is sitting and where it should be going and I need a little help figuring things out. I've posted before about opening a Roth IRA and I'm currently in the process of doing that with Vanguard but now I'm looking at some other options.

Currently I have all my money in a local bank that I'm getting absolute poo poo rates at. Breaks down like this:

13.5k getting .05% - Spending money. My paychecks (150/wk right now) from my part time job go here as I finish up college.
52.5k getting .23% - This is a joint account with my parents. Essentially the money is mine and I could convince them to move it. This will also be back up funding for my Roth IRA when I open it up.
Checking account that I keep at around $500 with a combo of both accounts depending on my expenses.

I have no debt and my expenses are next to nothing as I currently live at home but I am looking to move out fairly soon so I do have to take that in to consideration.

I definitely want to move the 13.5k. I want a much better rate and I want an easier way to deposit my checks. This account isn't going to be dropping below 10k anytime soon so I'm wondering if theres a better alternative than just opening an online savings account? Someone above mentioned Barclays which I liked the idea of. There I'd be getting .9% and the best I could do with a CD is Ally at .94. For that extra .04% I think I'd rather just have a much more liquid account. There any upside to a CD I'm not understanding?

As for the 52.5k, I'd have to discuss with my parents whether they want to move this money as well.

I like my local bank and the staff there has always been super helpful but these rates just seem really bad. Would keeping a checking account with them have any downside if I ended up moving all of the money out of both savings accounts?

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

In another few hours, the sun will rise!
Here's a quickie dumb question: When do the returns of your 401k actually get added to your account? Is it a day to day thing, and the only time I should really be worried about it is when I withdraw? I noticed my year-to-date change is currently a little over 6%, but I know that it will fluctuate over time. I think I'm overthinking this.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The gains and losses of the securities in your 401k are unrealized until you sell them. The number that you see as total gain/loss is what your return would be if you sold and cashed out every position in the account right now (not accounting for taxes). There are no returns to be "added" to the account.

That said, there are often dividends and capital distributions that get paid out on different schedules depending on the underlying security, however you are most likely (and should be) automatically reinvesting those distributions back into the security that paid them out, rather than receiving them as cash.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Thought people here would appreciate this blog post:

Five Money Excuses That Held Me Back (and How I Overcame Them)
http://lifehacker.com/five-money-excuses-that-held-me-back-and-how-i-overcam-1441083773

borodino
Jul 31, 2012
I defaulted on a credit card in 2007. On a separate entry on my report it shows that a collection agency bought the debt June of last year. Do I have to wait until 2018 for that to fall off or does it go away the same time as the original debt?

borodino fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 4, 2013

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

borodino posted:

I defaulted on a credit card in 2007. On a separate entry on my report it shows that a collection agency bought the debt June of last year. Do I have to wait until 2018 for that to fall off or does it go away the same time as the original debt?

That's all original debt. That's not to say they might try to claim otherwise, but you're on solid ground with getting it off your credit report if you haven't touched it since you went into default.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

aw yiss posted:

There any upside to a CD I'm not understanding?
Nope, you've already done the math. You'd be locking your money away for years just to earn a pittance in interest. I don't know if it's worth it for anybody, but given the likelihood of change given your age and income it's probably not worth it for you.

aw yiss posted:

Would keeping a checking account with them have any downside if I ended up moving all of the money out of both savings accounts?
Check your terms; you might have minimum balances for checking (and maybe even the savings account) to maintain in order to avoid fees. Otherwise I don't see why not.

There's no single right way to organize money, but this works well for me:

1- Local checking/spending, like $2k for normal budgeted spending, rent, paycheck deposits etc.

2- Local savings account at same place, for small savings grabs and transfers to normalize #1 once a month.

3- Online savings account holding the larger block of savings at a better interest rate. This money just sits there earning interest and being an emergency fund, occasionally taking overflow from #2.

Assuming the banks you're dealing with are all modernized, you should be able to electronically transfer between your local bank and the online bank relatively easily after you've done all the authenticating and setup needed. Just bear in mind the scale of your administrative efforts moving poo poo around, since at best you're talking about like an %0.8 gain in annual interest.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

borodino posted:

It shouldn't be on your credit. But it still money you owe. Debt isn't forgiven after 7 years, and it is very common for this to happen. This is why I always tell people to pay their bad debts off, assuming they can afford to, instead of waiting for it to age off.

As long as its unpaid, it is well within their right to sue you, to sell it again to another place that will try to report it, or to upload the wrong file even if you are successful in removing it. This is ancient debt, you should be able to settle this for 10 cents on the dollar.

I can just about guarantee something will happen a month before you buy a house you don't take care of it. This might be one of those rare times a pay for delete letter is appropriate.

borodino
Jul 31, 2012

Zeta Taskforce posted:

It shouldn't be on your credit. But it still money you owe. Debt isn't forgiven after 7 years, and it is very common for this to happen. This is why I always tell people to pay their bad debts off, assuming they can afford to, instead of waiting for it to age off.

As long as its unpaid, it is well within their right to sue you, to sell it again to another place that will try to report it, or to upload the wrong file even if you are successful in removing it. This is ancient debt, you should be able to settle this for 10 cents on the dollar.

I can just about guarantee something will happen a month before you buy a house you don't take care of it. This might be one of those rare times a pay for delete letter is appropriate.

I actually already did settle it 4 or 5 days ago. I was just curious how it works when you have several entries for the same debt.

edit: So I guess I want to know did me settling with the collection agency reset the clock or whatever and cause this thing to appear on my report for the next 7 years?

borodino fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 5, 2013

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I'm not in a situation where it matters or anything, but I've heard a lot of people say you should not pay off old debt that's fallen off your credit, because it puts it back on your credit report when you pay it. This is completely false, right?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SlightlyMadman posted:

I'm not in a situation where it matters or anything, but I've heard a lot of people say you should not pay off old debt that's fallen off your credit, because it puts it back on your credit report when you pay it. This is completely false, right?

No, that's exactly correct. If something falls off your credit report due to age of the debt, you should make every effort to not pay or acknowledge it.

borodino
Jul 31, 2012

baquerd posted:

No, that's exactly correct. If something falls off your credit report due to age of the debt, you should make every effort to not pay or acknowledge it.

What about this?

quote:

Seven years after the original default date, all mentions of a debt -- no matter who has bought the debt or when -- have to come off your credit report, says Maxine Sweet, vice president of public education for credit bureau Experian.

According to the Fair Credit Reporting Act, debt collectors can't change the account number and consider it a "new obligation," and they aren't allowed to "re-age" that debt, says Tracy S. Thorleifson, attorney with the Federal Trade Commission. Seven years from the original default date -- that's it, she says.

One exception is judgments. If a creditor sues and gets a court judgment against you, they can keep the judgment on your credit report for seven years or until the judgment expires, says John Ulzheimer, president of consumer education for SmartCredit.com. However, as a matter of practice, credit bureaus keep judgments on a credit report for seven years from the judgment filing date, he says.

In other words, while the original obligation and any listings by subsequent collectors will come off within the original seven-year period, the judgment can have its own independent seven-year life span.

Read more: http://www.bankrate.com/finance/debt/6-ways-not-to-reset-old-debt-1.aspx#ixzz2gnrwmHMo

It seems like that advice is because some actions can reset the statute of limitations, not just to stop old debts from remaining on your report.

Also do debts fall off automatically or do you have to file with the credit bureaus for that to occur?

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Any thoughts on I-bonds? I can't think of any reasons not to slowly transfer my entire emergency savings to them since they protect against inflation by design and have better rates than the high yield online savings rates.

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

IAMKOREA posted:

Any thoughts on I-bonds? I can't think of any reasons not to slowly transfer my entire emergency savings to them since they protect against inflation by design and have better rates than the high yield online savings rates.

Minimum ownership period of one year to cash them in, for starters. Once a year is up, the interest penalty for cashing them in early makes the yield close to the same as a high interest account. Did I mention that the base rate on I bonds is 0%? Your entire return is tied to inflation. The point of an emergency fund is not to chase yield, it's to provide liquidity to prevent having to go into debt when crazy stuff happens.

That said, when inflation picks up, interest rates will as well. The early 80s and late 70s had crazy inflation, but the us government also issued 30 year t bonds at 13%. The only way that you'll miss out on higher base rates is if you have your money locked up in a financial instrument that has cash out penalties.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

borodino posted:

I actually already did settle it 4 or 5 days ago. I was just curious how it works when you have several entries for the same debt.

edit: So I guess I want to know did me settling with the collection agency reset the clock or whatever and cause this thing to appear on my report for the next 7 years?

You were right to settle this debt. I don't know if this is the correct path if you are worried about the short term way this will report on your credit. But I believe to (finally) pay this debt removes a potential landmine out of your life. It might have never exploded. But not having financial landmines is part of managing money too.

But like I said, there is no law that says you don't owe the money, no law that says they can't collect on it, no law that says they can't sue you. Also, collectors are scum, and individual collectors have been known to make tiny payments on old accounts to refresh them and keep them from dropping off. If you are buying a house and it shows up, what are you going to tell the bank when they ask if it is yours. Yes, but I don't know why it's still there because it's 10 years old... See if they like that answer.

What you need to do now is make sure you have it in writing, that you save that letter the rest of your life, and because it was probably sold multiple times, make sure all other reporting versions of this debt are reporting accurately too.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Zeta Taskforce posted:

But like I said, there is no law that says you don't owe the money, no law that says they can't collect on it, no law that says they can't sue you.

I totally agree with the gist of your post, but I want to make one small correction to it, because I've heard you say this a couple of times. Once the 7 year statute expires, any lawsuits in progress or new lawsuits can and will be dismissed for being beyond the statute. All other collection activities can continue as usual though.

Source: I was a credit card debt collector for 4 years.

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Ask me how I gained back all the weight I lost by eating your pets.
Hello everyone yet again.

I have a health insurance question. My husband is getting med boarded out of the military. Unless he can get medical retirement (which hopefully we will, but we are just starting the process) we will lose Tricare. I have health insurance through my job, but my pay sucks and so when he is out we want to move to another state. We were specifically looking at Florida.

I teach, so I was looking at health benefits in one of the counties we are interested in. Their insurance plan is all based on co-insurance rather than copays. So my question is, how do you even predict these expenses? 30% at one physician could be way different than 30% at another. Moreover, the plan covers absolutely nothing if you are treated by someone out of network. So if you're in a car wreck and are taken to an out-of-network hospital by and out-of-network ambulance while unconscious and unable to decline the ambulance and/or direct them to a specific hospital, then you're on the hook for 100% of the cost. Or if you have a surgical procedure and someone in the operating room is out-of-network, like an anesthesiologist, you'd be responsible for their full bill too. So if I wind up with this employer (because this employer is located in the #1 location we want to move to), how could I protect myself? How would I be able to budget for something as vague as "30% coinsurance on office visit"?

I am really kind of nervous to possibly be losing Tricare now. My husband will be able to be seen by the VA for his service connected stuff, but we will need to get him a plan of some kind for everything else (assuming we lose Tricare), and I figure there's going to be a gap of at least 6 months between his ETS date and when he can start making appointments at the VA. Thinking about all these possible expenses is making my head spin. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
You might want to check your state laws. In Texas, if you require emergency treatment the insurance company is required by law to treat wherever you go as in network.