Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ohjoshdarnit
Nov 2, 2005
Adventurer
Dang, I stopped playing this game back when the molten armor was the best in the game and they had just added dungeons. They've added so much... any recommendations on what I should do next or what items to weapons and armor to work towards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Revol posted:

Are there any reasons to hold onto duplicates of accessories? Like the large pile of shackles that I have?

Not really, just keep an extra or two if you're worried about losing the original when/if you want to combine it with something or if you especially like the modifier.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

ohjoshdarnit posted:

Dang, I stopped playing this game back when the molten armor was the best in the game and they had just added dungeons. They've added so much... any recommendations on what I should do next or what items to weapons and armor to work towards?

Get a guide voodoo doll in hell, throw it into lava in hell, defeat the wall of flesh, activate hardmode, smash some demon altars and then mine the new minerals that appear.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Giggily posted:

Hellevators are a staple of Terraria and I am disappointed that the Guide doesn't suggest that you make one.

He knows what you're going to do down there.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Man how are people finding the super biome keys so easily? I've yet to see a single one and I've not exactly been slacking on my murder.

I don't even know, it took a friend and I a good 2-3 hours of farming in the Crimson just to get that key and we're on 3 hours in a man-made Hallow skybridge trying to farm that key. 1/4000 chance of dropping or something isn't great, though. Some people just are lucky with the RNG.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I probably spent six or seven hours in the crimson with a battle potion to get my crimson key. Totally worth it.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Oy. When did they increase the dynamite cost? Not that gold is SUPER hard to come by, but I really like laughing maniacally and chucking dynamite down tunnels and see what I wind up with. I can still buy it, just at 3 times original cost. Boo.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Tarquinn posted:

Get a guide voodoo doll in hell, throw it into lava in hell, defeat the wall of flesh, activate hardmode, smash some demon altars and then mine the new minerals that appear.

Where can I find minerals I can actually mine? I took a trip down my hellevator to look for any new ores but I couldn't actually mine any of them with a hellstone pick. It's possible I was only finding one type though.

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

Fewd posted:

Those and boulders can be a complete arse.

I find the mediumcore option is best for me. It adds danger and a while it's not hardcore, it adds a quite reasonable chance to lose all your poo poo if you die in a terrible place and can't get your primary gear back. The most hideous corpse runs to get my stuff back have been some of the most fun times I've had with Terraria though.

I was exploring the Crimson and its adjunct cave system in a new world when I got killed by an explosive trap. I didn't have anything built or stored there, so in order to grab my stuff I had to spend twenty minutes building a moving cage using a handful of dirt blocks and a pair of torches. Like hell I was going to give up my only flare gun.

I think it's possible to survive explosives now if you have enough health, as a side effect of doubled PVP damage being disabled. Which is good, because the combination of monsters not setting them off before you reach them and floor crud making triggers harder to spot means traps are a lot deadlier in 1.2.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Flame112 posted:

Where can I find minerals I can actually mine? I took a trip down my hellevator to look for any new ores but I couldn't actually mine any of them with a hellstone pick. It's possible I was only finding one type though.

They're spread all over the world. You're specifically looking for blue or bright orange minerals to mine. It all depends on whether or not smashing the demon altars gave you Cobalt or Palladium. I wouldn't worry too much about confusing Palladium and Copper, either. Copper is a dull color, while Palladium is pretty vibrant.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The hardmode on the server I play on is loving brutal. We have Palladium, Orichalcum, and Adamantite, so every HM ore is just red in low lighting. :shepface:

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

Only thing I really wish was in the game is a way to mine three blocks in a vertical line to make digging tunnels not a pain in the rear end

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Monowhatever posted:

Only thing I really wish was in the game is a way to mine three blocks in a vertical line to make digging tunnels not a pain in the rear end

I was so excited when I read the Spectre pick was +3 range, but then I realized it was just 3 tiles further from me, not 3 in a row :(

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
So a couple of us on Shadowmourn's self hosted server were bored and ended up creating The Ossus Spire: Forever Hard

Chief Architect: rear end-Haggis
Helpers: Shadowmourn, Riso, and myself.

I am so proud of it :magical:

:ninja: added day shot & spelling.

Robzilla fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 6, 2013

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
My crowning achievement. Even if there is no tomorrow, I can die happy knowing that I revolutionized the face of dongbuilding with the skeletal honeycock.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I once made a giant lava heart that ended up in the OP of an older Terraria Thread.

This, this surpasses me and im proud to have helped. :allears:

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Fuzz posted:

Having fun so far. gently caress huge zombie hordes, though. I'll stop cluttering the thread with my lovely newbie first run log.

personally I think it's fun seeing the progress newbies make, it makes a nice change from veteran players rampaging across the endgame and discussing building industrialised murderfactories to farm bosses great big cocks.

King Doom fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 6, 2013

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

MooCowlian posted:

I probably spent six or seven hours in the crimson with a battle potion to get my crimson key. Totally worth it.

I've got a trap farm with meteor heads, will this drop a key for me eventually? (yeah, it's in the big central chamber of a Crimson area)

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Robzilla posted:

So a couple of us on Shadowmourn's self hosted server were bored and ended up creating The Ossus Spire: Forever Hard

Chief Architect: rear end-Haggis
Helpers: Shadowmourn, Riso, and myself.

I am so proud of it :magical:

:ninja: added day shot & spelling.

there must be some kind of mathematical proof about how if you get x number of goons on a server, they will build a big penis

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Will Ebonstone bricks create corruption or only the blocks?

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
There's something primally terrifying about the Crimson. Big ol' red welts sticking out of the earth that stretch down for aaages with hearts pumping away at the bottom. I'm well equipped to deal with anything I might run into down there, but I still get sort of uneasy. It's not so much the presentation as the idea of the thing.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

King Doom posted:

personally I think it's fun seeing the progress newbies make, it makes a nice change from veteran players rampaging across the endgame and discussing building industrialised murderfactories to farm bosses great big cocks.
The secret is that all the newbies are building cocks, too.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Logan 5 posted:

there must be some kind of mathematical proof about how if you get x number of goons on a server, they will build a big penis

I think I broke the dick tower. I rigged all the doors up to a 1sec timer just to watch them open and shut and then they started exploding. I don't even know what happened but poo poo was going BOOM and disappearing.

e:

Hobo Siege posted:

There's something primally terrifying about the Crimson. Big ol' red welts sticking out of the earth that stretch down for aaages with hearts pumping away at the bottom. I'm well equipped to deal with anything I might run into down there, but I still get sort of uneasy. It's not so much the presentation as the idea of the thing.

If you zoom out on the crimson on the map it looks like the entrance is a mouth and the underground tunnel is the esophagus. You are running into a giant creature, Cthulhu perhaps?

Machai fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 6, 2013

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed

Machai posted:

I think I broke the dick tower. I rigged all the doors up to a 1sec timer just to watch them open and shut and then they started exploding. I don't even know what happened but poo poo was going BOOM and disappearing.

Oh you motherfucker.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I like the fountains. Built this on someone's house last night:

Gonna try making a huge waterfall.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hobo Siege posted:

The planet is dying. :( The only question is whether or not it's best to leave it be or pick up your hammer and help it along.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Jackard posted:

I like the fountains. Built this on someone's house last night:

Gonna try making a huge waterfall.

Man that's a weird looking penis. You should go see a doctor or something.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

How do you make the cool skeleton walls? I've made bone background blocks but not bone walls.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

RareAcumen posted:

The planet is dying. :( The only question is whether or not it's best to leave it be or pick up your hammer and help it along.

Dying? Sounds more like it is coming to life. The Crimson is true power, a vaccine created by the world to stomp out the worthless Hallow and limp-dick Corruption. Accept the inevitability of flesh.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Devour or Fire posted:

Dying? Sounds more like it is coming to life. The Crimson is true power, a vaccine created by the world to stomp out the worthless Hallow and limp-dick Corruption. Accept the inevitability of flesh.

Now I really hope Terraria 2 has a scenario where the Crimson takes over everything :allears:

Segway Rave
Dec 25, 2011

this is stanley barton he is the brother of the king and feels sad alot because other people don't like him much they say hes boring and not fun

FirstPersonShitter posted:

How do you make the cool skeleton walls? I've made bone background blocks but not bone walls.

Skeleton enemies in the dungeon drop a Bone Wand pretty rarely. Consumes bones to place blocks, like the tree ones.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

My single-player world is progressing slowly but surely. I've finally mastered the Crimson in normal mode. Beat 4 Brains and made Crimson EVERYTHING for myself, and got the badass spear and scepter from the Hearts.

Now to find that meteor that dropped and start setting up a farm so I can make pots to fight skeletron and survive the jungle.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

LAY-ZX posted:

So how do you make the Party Girl appear? The wiki claims you just need eight other NPCs, but I have 14 and plenty of open housing and she still isn't here.

I got her at seven other NPCs. I wonder if she's actually counting time in multiplayer or something...

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Second day after unlocking hardmode, still farming Wall of Flesh for a clockwork rifle, still using normal mode armor and gear, and a solar eclipse comes.

That... that was something :shepface:

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Vampire Knives trip report: Literally the single most powerful weapon in the game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Okay so I'm still hearing tales of wonder regarding the Vampire Knives and Magnet Sphere. Where exactly are you finding them? I went into the Dungeon on my own and got steamrolled because of Armored Skeletons and suddenly a Paladin.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So I've got a question - if you were to take the time to dig a 3-5 wide 'hole' around the Corruption/Crimson, would that stop the spread? Or does it jump across gaps?

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

MR. J posted:

Second day after unlocking hardmode, still farming Wall of Flesh for a clockwork rifle, still using normal mode armor and gear, and a solar eclipse comes.

That... that was something :shepface:

I just had my first Solar Eclipse too.

Using Necro with a Phoenix Blaster.

I cannot believe their AI doesn't allow them to climb up my house and rape me sideways, I didn't die, killed a boatload of things, used about 5k rounds (my loving finger and arm hurt now, thanks Diablo 2 clicking power), and got 3 broken bat wings as a consolation prize. I also have one of every summoning item now and 3 cobalt bars shy of having cobalt armor and then onto farming for my own clockwork rifle and the ranged emblem.

The vampires were really the only pain in the rear end, everything else nicely lined up underneath me and let me shoot it in the head repeatedly. What drops should I look out for next eclipse?

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Shukaro posted:

Vampire Knives trip report: Literally the single most powerful weapon in the game.

I also got really lucky and found a Crimson Key before I learned what the Spectral Armor did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Here's how I farmed some of the Biome-Keys:

Get some meteorite. Not bars, just meteorite.
Get the Pygmy Staff from Planetera.
Once you get the staff, the Witch Doctor sells Tiki Armor that increases the amount of minions you can have.

Clear out a large area in the biome of the key you want. Place the meteor, enough to get some meteor heads.
Summon pygmies.
Go afk for like a bajillion hours.
Come back and hopefully you have the key.

Seriously, the drop rate really, really sucks.

• Locked thread