Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I was interested in W101, but then played the demo and wasn't feeling it. I also didn't like the MGS Revengence demo and haven't played Bayonetta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jumbled_Johnsons
Jul 2, 2011

by T. Finninho

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

You can either have a map or mirror the screen, lots of options!

The scope and breadth of your imagination, it stuns me.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Jumbled_Johnsons posted:

The scope and breadth of your imagination, it stuns me.

Yeah, it's almost like those are the two things that 99% of WiiU games use the screen for, and that's why I picked them for my comedic reply.

Dec 26, 2012

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

I had a WiiU and sold it to get a Vita due to lack of play.

Ascend your throne, king of good investments.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Jumbled_Johnsons posted:

The scope and breadth of WiiU developers Nintendo and Ubisoft's imagination, it stuns me.

There, now your post makes more sense.

Jumbled_Johnsons
Jul 2, 2011

by T. Finninho

Dieting Hippo posted:

edit: I spaced on the fact that you quoted the same post, did you forget it too?

Not even a little bit.

Dieting Hippo posted:

Man, after so many pages of it, all talk about it just blends toether into a giant shitheap. Sorry Jumbled :downs:

No prob.

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

Not so much that, I just want to hear from people who did stick with it. I know Mario and Donkey Kong are coming up as well. I guess a better way to phrase all that would be that if I'm wanting it to catch up with Wii stuff as well is it worth the money, or should I just get a cheap Wii for that.

gently caress yeah. Go for it. Especially for someone who didn't own a Wii. There are lots of games for Wii worth playing.
That's on top of the already released and soon-to-come Wii U games. Unless you have to have a new big budget game every week, or your tastes are really narrow, you'll find plenty to play on the U.

Astro7x posted:

If you have the money why the hell not. This might very well be the last console Nintendo ever makes, so enjoy your Mario and Zeldas while you can.

ha ha. Sure, it may be. But, really, why would it be?

Chaltab posted:

I guess it's about what's more important to you: saving money or getting the Wii U games you're anticipating sooner rather than later. Like, is Super Mario 3D World making you salivate? Do you need to play Sonic Lost World five minutes ago? With Donkey Kong delayed, all the Wii U's other big unreleased exclusives don't hit until next year or later.

True. I didn't mind paying the $50 bought-it-at-launch tax. And I am glad I didn't wait 10 months for a price drop. It's been worth it to me personally. *mileages may vary

TheScott2K posted:

There, now your post makes more sense.

Not really. That's a separate and distinct statement because I was only talking about Olivias Wilde Rider's post, which was apparently supposed to be comedic, but was a bit poo poo in that regard.

At any rate, the Wonderful 101 is awesome, and if a Platinum fan thinks it may well be worth buying a system for, it probably is.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Please, go ahead and name current, released games for the WiiU that use the gamepad's screen for things other than mirroring the main screen, maps or inventory.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Jumbled_Johnsons posted:

gently caress yeah. Go for it. Especially for someone who didn't own a Wii. There are lots of games for Wii worth playing.
That's on top of the already released and soon-to-come Wii U games. Unless you have to have a new big budget game every week, or your tastes are really narrow, you'll find plenty to play on the U.

Thank you very much on that. I've already got No More Heroes 2, the Zelda's and Mario on my list so thanks for that insight.

01011001 posted:

Ascend your throne, king of good investments.

Hey, post price drop, that got me the system, 8GB memory card and Persona 4. 80 hours of Persona, plus free stuff from PS Plus made it worth the investment. I swear if I could hook a fight stick up, there would be so much Ultimate Marvel to be had.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Please, go ahead and name current, released games for the WiiU that use the gamepad's screen for things other than mirroring the main screen, maps or inventory.

Nintendoland, Game & Wario, Wonderful 101 (sometimes).

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 6, 2013

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

TVii, which works great and lots of people use.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

I really hope the Wii U software continues to be updated so you can play Wii games using the tablet controller as if it was a classic controller.
It seems weird that they updated it to stream to the controller but haven't done that yet. I'd love to play Xenoblade on the tablet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wonderful 101 and Pikmin 3. (Pikmin 3 uses it for a map but it's a map that is used for ordering your dudes around.) Game & Wario too which is a minigame collection of nothing but that. Nintendoland too actually.

The_Frag_Man posted:

I really hope the Wii U software continues to be updated so you can play Wii games using the tablet controller as if it was a classic controller.
It seems weird that they updated it to stream to the controller but haven't done that yet. I'd love to play Xenoblade on the tablet.

Words can not express how pissed off I was to find out that wasn't part of the update.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Wonderful 101 does in fact make good use of the gamepad. It's a pretty good game that would only really work on the WiiU. Ten years from now, when it's fashionable for people to pretend that they didn't totally ignore the WiiU when it came out (like what's happened to the Dreamcast), people will bring up Wonderful 101 non-stop to the point of it becoming massively retroactively overrated (like what's happened to Shenmue).

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 6, 2013

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

TheScott2K posted:

Wonderful 101 does in fact make good use of the gamepad. It's a pretty good game that would only really work on the WiiU. Ten years from now, when it's fashionable for people to pretend that they didn't totally ignore the WiiU when it came out (like what's happened to the Dreamcast), people will bring up Wonderful 101 non-stop to the point of it becoming massively retroactively overrated (like what's happened to Shenmue).

The difference here is that Wonderful 101 is mechanically a good game on top of having good production values, while Shenmue's real greatest claim to fame was that is was incredibly expensive to produce such a short and bad videogame people pretend was any good.

I wouldn't say that Wonderful 101 makes "good" use of the Gamepad, just that it tries to do things differently. The indoors sections that force you to use it are some of the least fun portions of the entire game. Having to tilt the stupid thing to move the camera was never as responsive as I wanted it to be, and there were plenty of times where it would get stuck as a bad angle for 'neutral' and just normally holding the pad would cause the camera in those sections to constantly be spinning in one direction while directed firmly towards the ground. This made one such section in Operation 008 a magnificent pain in the rear end.

If those sections simply didn't exist and were supplemented by more of the standard gameplay found throughout the game, nobody would miss them, and the game would not suffer whatsoever to be played exclusively on a regular controller with two analog sticks.

The only other noteworthy game in my eyes that makes interesting use of the GamePad is Pikmin, and we had two other games in the franchise get along just fine without a Gamepad being available.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Well poo poo I tried. At least the goddamn 32X had the courtesy to actually be an add-on to an existing console instead of people just thinking it was.

Cryptobotanist
Oct 23, 2005

Oh no... Poor me...
I had always been planning to upgrade to a Wii U from my Wii when they announced some games worth getting. Because besides, I still could play my Wii games on the Wii U, I wouldn't have to sell off all my Wii games(like I will have to when I sell my PS3 when I decide to upgrade to a PS4, since Sony said gently caress backwards compatibility)

The main games that convinced me it was time to upgrade was Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, and Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze. Getting Earthbound for the Virtual console didn't hurt either.

...so you can imagine my disappointment at the Donkey Kong delay.

Yeah, I recognize the Wii U is another gimmicky attempt by Nintendo, just wanting to try to strike upon the next big fad, and the thing they don't realize is that people do not give a gently caress anymore. And a lot of people don't want some new way to play video games, we just want them to be fun and look cool.

However, I actually am enjoying my Wii U, I like the Super Mario Bros. U game and W101... But so far those are the only Wii U games I have. ( before you recommend, I don't like Pikmin. I'm terrible at those games, I end up leading those little fuckers to their deaths far too often for me to enjoy it)

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

fivegears4reverse posted:

The only other noteworthy game in my eyes that makes interesting use of the GamePad is Pikmin, and we had two other games in the franchise get along just fine without a Gamepad being available.

Well there's also Nintendoland but, meh party games...

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Cryptobotanist posted:

I wouldn't have to sell off all my Wii games(like I will have to when I sell my PS3 when I decide to upgrade to a PS4, since Sony said gently caress backwards compatibility)

Uhh you could also keep it???

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Cliff Racer posted:

Well there's also Nintendoland but, meh party games...

On one hand, I guess I shouldn't be so dismissive towards Nintendoland, since there's a lot of folks who like it, and it certainly is a game that uses the Gamepad in a way only it can be used.

On the other hand, a lot of folks are dismissive of Nintendoland, because they don't want a minigame collection that exists primarily to show off the Gamepad in specific ways that most games will NEVER USE (or most gamers will even care about). They want regular 'good' games that may or may not happen to make use of the Gamepad's gimmicks. As I see it, the Gamepad by itself doesn't really add anything that most gamers need. It's like the SixAxis in a sense, you can throw those grenades by tilting your controller like an asshat then press the button...or you could just aim where you want the stupid thing to go with an analog stick and press the button.

The vast majority of these motion gimmicks that have been thrown into games this past generation really added nothing to the games themselves, but it certainly has made for spirited internet arguments when people try to tell you that you don't know how to have fun with (game here) because you don't/do want to use the amazing(ly inaccurate) Wiimotes to steer in Mario Kart. Tellingly, the best use of motion controls has been efforts to try an replicate Mouse-Keyboard accuracy in a console FPS, and it's pretty apparent that they still haven't caught on.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

On the other hand, a lot of folks are dismissive of Nintendoland, because they don't want a minigame collection that exists primarily to show off the Gamepad in specific ways that most games will NEVER USE (or most gamers will even care about). They want regular 'good' games that may or may not happen to make use of the Gamepad's gimmicks.

And most asymmetrical gameplay experiences can easily be duplicated online, it's just not nearly as fun. Nintendo Land shows some good potential, but needing to have 4 other friends over really is what makes it shine. Nobody does that these days. My boss complains that all his son does is play Minecraft and talk to his friends over Skype... you can't even get kids to come over to play video games in 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I would argue the Wii U gamepad is less useful than the DS second screen because the DS's screens can be seen simultaneously, which makes it easier to do things on the fly. The Wii U gamepad experience for that would be head up head down head up head down head up head down.

Its only practical use is asymmetrical gameplay and Off-TV Play. And asymmetrical gameplay is difficult to balance to make it fun for both parties. With Nintendoland, for example, it is infinitely more fun to play as the Swordsman in Zelda than it is the Archer. In NSMBU, you can't even play the game, but instead have to babysit the other players.

You create an experience that no one wants to be stuck with. If I'm playing a Wii U game with other people, I don't want to be the one with the Gamepad. That's how relatively useless asymmetrical gameplay is.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The difference here is that Wonderful 101 is mechanically a good game on top of having good production values, while Shenmue's real greatest claim to fame was that is was incredibly expensive to produce such a short and bad videogame people pretend was any good.

I wouldn't say that Wonderful 101 makes "good" use of the Gamepad, just that it tries to do things differently. The indoors sections that force you to use it are some of the least fun portions of the entire game. Having to tilt the stupid thing to move the camera was never as responsive as I wanted it to be, and there were plenty of times where it would get stuck as a bad angle for 'neutral' and just normally holding the pad would cause the camera in those sections to constantly be spinning in one direction while directed firmly towards the ground. This made one such section in Operation 008 a magnificent pain in the rear end.

If those sections simply didn't exist and were supplemented by more of the standard gameplay found throughout the game, nobody would miss them, and the game would not suffer whatsoever to be played exclusively on a regular controller with two analog sticks.

Shenmue's greatest claim to fame was being an incredibly immersive game that had a tremendous scope. You lived in and explored a vibrant world with several different gameplay types inside of it. It was impressive to sit down and play it because it felt so different from anything else out there at the time and looked gorgeous. Now that claim to fame is the budget and financial failure of the series, but that is not what got people hyped up then.

As for the Gamepad, Rayman makes interesting use of it. The Murphy levels are a nice diversion, they break up the Rayman levels. The Gamepad has some interesting uses. I like that it exists, although it sure wasn't a good business decision and some of its uses are very lame. I found Nintendoland to be a chore at times because of it, but I'm curious to check out Zombie U's use of it.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

MassRafTer posted:

As for the Gamepad, Rayman makes interesting use of it. The Murphy levels are a nice diversion, they break up the Rayman levels. The Gamepad has some interesting uses. I like that it exists, although it sure wasn't a good business decision and some of its uses are very lame. I found Nintendoland to be a chore at times because of it, but I'm curious to check out Zombie U's use of it.

I think the Murphy levels are entirely unnecessary. In their place could be more of what Origins and Legends excel at, as opposed to a showcase of a feature nobody outside of Nintendo fans really asked for or want to this day. Even with the remakes of Origins levels available as a mea culpa for the wait, I feel like I got a lesser game compared to Origins simply because the Murphy levels took time and effort to create, time and effort that could have been spent on better primary content.

In a sense, I feel that Legends would have come to other platforms anyway, because the Rayman games have typically been multiplatform. Not to mention, I seriously doubt the game would have changed the Wii U's situation whatsoever had it been released earlier this year. Goons cannot stop ejaculating about how great the games are and how they are the savior of classic gaming and blah blah blah, but there's a reason why Origins went down to 20 bucks within months and why the price of Legends is crashing right now: the greater gaming population doesn't give a poo poo, as much as it pains me to say. Enthusiasts on internet forums might proudly state (lie) that they would have bought a Wii U for Legends alone, most people wouldn't have. The Wii U would still be where it is. It was already in trouble by the time Legends was originally supposed to be released, and people who believe it could have been the start of a turnaround are frankly delusional. The kinds of people who believe that a niche title like Rayman Legends would have saved the Wii U from it's current fate are probably also the same people who thought getting Platinum on board with the system for two exclusives was going to be a game changer.

Going back to Legends, seeing as how going multiplatform was probably an inevitability from a business standpoint, what the other platforms are left with is having to cope with these Murphy levels, and ironically the only platform that Legends could be ported to that can actually play these levels remotely correctly is the also-floundering Vita.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Astro7x posted:

I was interested in W101, but then played the demo and wasn't feeling it. I also didn't like the MGS Revengence demo and haven't played Bayonetta

drat. Look at this weakling.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

But W101 is a bad game that people pretend is good because they like the company, while Shenmue was a vast and glorious experiment that did things no game before had even dreamed of?

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Mister Adequate posted:

But W101 is a bad game that people pretend is good because they like the company, while Shenmue was a vast and glorious experiment that did things no game before had even dreamed of?

Dude, we had bad voice acting well before Shenmue, it just perfected it

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Mister Adequate posted:

Both Wonderful 101 and Shenmue are pretty good games actually. :shrug:

Cryptobotanist
Oct 23, 2005

Oh no... Poor me...

Spiffo posted:

Uhh you could also keep it???

I don't really have room for 3 consoles. Though I suppose I could keep the ps3 packed away and hook it up whenever I want to use it. I'm not trying to be all anti-sony. I am planning to get a ps4. I just don't think I'm going to get it when it launches.

Now, back on topic.

Can anyone recommend me a Wii U game that's already out that is at least halfway decent? ( I don't need game of the year material here)

(for reference: I have Mario Bros. U, W101, and I don't like the Pikmin games cause I'm bad at them :( )

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

MassRafTer posted:

The Gamepad has some interesting uses. I like that it exists, although it sure wasn't a good business decision and some of its uses are very lame. I found Nintendoland to be a chore at times because of it, but I'm curious to check out Zombie U's use of it.

Even if it could compete spec for spec with the PS4/XBO and had similar architecture for easy ports and didn't have the game pad... I think it would sell just as bad. They're now making it too expensive for the parents to drop a significant amount of money on a toy, and the older demographic that can afford the system would rather go with the PS4 or XBO.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Cryptobotanist posted:

Can anyone recommend me a Wii U game that's already out that is at least halfway decent? ( I don't need game of the year material here)

(for reference: I have Mario Bros. U, W101, and I don't like the Pikmin games cause I'm bad at them :( )

The OP has a Goon Seal of Approval on games, but I'll give it a crack EDIT: I thought this was the main Wii U thread. :doh:

Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed is a great mascot racer where your car can change into a boat or plane throughout the course so you can tackle air, land, and sea. If you like SEGA at all there's tons of representation and callbacks to keep you grinning, but even if you don't care much for SEGA it's still a very well-made game. I played the 360 version but I hear the Wii U version is even better, plus it has a few bonus modes and support for a 5th player thanks to the GamePad. Just make sure you download the patches. If you like a challenge getting 100% completion is quite tough, I haven't done it yet.

New Super Luigi U is half the price of a new Wii U game, if you liked Mario U Luigi U is worth a shot if you want more. Just be aware of the 100 second time limit on every stage.

I read through this thread last night and can't remember if you had tried Nintendoland or not, but since you can probably get that for about $20 USD used, get it if you haven't and grab a buddy or two for some fun. It's not bad playing by yourself but it really shines when you've got other people to play with. Plus a good chunk of the games are multi-player only, so there's that. If you have a significant other this is a great couples game. When my ex and I were together we'd spend a lot of time on the Luigi's Mansion and Pikmin games in it.

Need For Speed Most Wanted U is a great, more serious racing game with all kinds of neat little Wii U-exclusive features that has really great visuals. Just be wary that the game seems to like to crash on people. This was on sale on Amazon for about $16 USD recently so keep an eye out for sales and you can probably snag it cheap. EDIT: It's actually still about that price!

Other than that, I hear Game & Wario is fun, and Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is $10 USD on Amazon right now if that's your cup of tea.

MykonosFan fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 6, 2013

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Cryptobotanist posted:

If you have a friend/s willing to play too, Monster Hunter 3 U is pretty drat good. I've sunk a decent amount of time into that killing large monsters with my buddies. I've done some singleplayer, but only enough to get replenishing resources (farm and fishery).

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I loving love the Gamepad. It's a great TV remote,

I'm sorry but this is completely untrue. Among other things like menus or color presets, the gamepad doesn't support digital channels. If you just need something to switch input quickly it's okay, but any television remote made in the last decade is infinitely more useful.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

MykonosFan posted:

Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed is a great mascot racer where your car can change into a boat or plane throughout the course so you can tackle air, land, and sea. If you like SEGA at all there's tons of representation and callbacks to keep you grinning, but even if you don't care much for SEGA it's still a very well-made game. I played the 360 version but I hear the Wii U version is even better, plus it has a few bonus modes and support for a 5th player thanks to the GamePad. Just make sure you download the patches. If you like a challenge getting 100% completion is quite tough, I haven't done it yet.

If you have even a relatively low-end PC, it's actually best to get the game on Steam. It's the best version; has 5 exclusive characters and on higher-spec PCs can run at 60fps with anti-aliasing and other niceties.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

SwissCM posted:

If you have even a relatively low-end PC, it's actually best to get the game on Steam. It's the best version; has 5 exclusive characters and on higher-spec PCs can run at 60fps with anti-aliasing and other niceties.

Alternatively, five-player local multiplayer on the Wii U, or two-player local multiplayer where each user gets their own screen. Depends on your priorities.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

SwissCM posted:

Shoot, I forget about the PC versions of games a lot because I don't play on my laptop, Transformed made this thing cry so I put it out of my mind haha.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Xillah posted:

Well, I made the plunge. I got the WW premium pack with Mario-U and Nintendoland for £295.

No to resist completing WW before Christmas morning.

I think your kid will be happy and you'll have some fun games to play with him despite all my hate of the system. I know I was super happy as a kid when I got an NES and played Mario bros with my dad.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

madeupfred posted:

I'm sorry but this is completely untrue. Among other things like menus or color presets, the gamepad doesn't support digital channels. If you just need something to switch input quickly it's okay, but any television remote made in the last decade is infinitely more useful.

I don't have cable because it's a big loving waste of money (More than the Wii U) but I do have to constantly change the input on the HDTV. It's a couple button presses and using the D pad is way easier than most remote control setups.

That's why it's great. I guess I can see your digital channel issue but it seems like those who use Tvii aren't bothered by it.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

That's why it's great. I guess I can see your digital channel issue but it seems like those who use Tvii aren't bothered by it.

All three of them?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Almost Smart posted:

All three of them?

It's used quite a bit actually. It ain't Twitter but it's better than say Tout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar
So to pick myself up out of the dumps ( best friend just died ) i bought the WWHD bundle. I spent the entire weekend in my boxers on the couch playing New Super Mario Bros U. I have to say i really like it. Despite all the hate its a fun platformer that my g/f and i can play. I havnt even had a chance to play WWHD yet, but ill be getting to that this week.

I am a big fan of the tablet. I like the fact that i have my wii-u hooked up in the living room and i can play this thing in my bedroom with little to no hicups. My g/f likes the fact that she can stream games/netflix to it while i am watching football. Now, not all of the games work with the streaming to the tablet, but the ones that do work really well. Now, i will agree, there are not a lot of titles that launched with the system that look like they are worth buying, but this seems to be a recurring trend with nintendo lately.

Ive played the demos for zombie u and w101 and they will be added to my purchase list. Along with need for speed, pikmin, luigi bros, monster hunter 3 and nintendo land, there are atleast 6 titles that i can add. Not too bad considering this thing is still in its first year of launch. Ill be interested to see what games are out by christmas 2014.

edit: i cant spell

jhorphear fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 7, 2013

• Locked thread